shape
carat
color
clarity

Ordered a custom Scapolite ring!

JSG2185

Shiny_Rock
Posting here now because this seems like a better place for this!
I inherited a stone from my father (2.9 carat transparent yellow scapolite in oval cut) and I'm having it placed in a platinum setting with a diamond halo and diamonds halfway down the band.

I know Scapolites are a 5-6 on the Moh's scale (it's not exactly the hardest, most durable stone), but I'm pretty good with my rings/jewelry. I never wear them while doing chores (e.g. cleaning, cooking, etc.). I don't even shower with jewelry. I only ever wear jewelry when I'm out at social gatherings with friends, vacation, or something - I imagine the Scapolite should hold up well? Is there anyone here who has a Scapolite ring? How is it holding up?

I already gave my Scapolite to the jeweler for placement, but attached is a picture of my yellow oval cut Orthoclase which looks very similar in color to the Scapolite and is the same shape. IMG_2453.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Platinum is a very hard metal, especially iridium
alloy. I hope your jeweler doesn’t damage the stone because scapolite is soft. I would have done tarnish free silver or higher karat gold.

JSG2185

Shiny_Rock
Platinum is a very hard metal, especially iridium
alloy. I hope your jeweler doesn’t damage the stone because scapolite is soft. I would have done tarnish free silver or higher karat gold.
Should be okay I think. The jeweler seems good and gets great feedback. The ring design is fairly simple, no intricate metal work around the stone or ring - just four simple prongs holding the scapolite itself. I've also seen opal platinum jewelry online and I know opal is pretty soft too... so it can be done! I'm really excited to see it :dance:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good to know, because most jewelers are pretty clueless when it comes to setting soft stones, let alone in platinum.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results