shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this Art Deco Cartier Emerald Ring

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
IMG_1522.jpg IMG_1523.jpg IMG_1525.jpg Hi everyone,

I've been eyeing this signed and numbered Cartier ring on Erstwhile which retails for a staggering $35,000.

While I obviously don't have the funds for it, I would like to know people's opinions on the stone:

My Questions:
1)Obviously the whole ring will command a much higher price than its components due to the Cartier name and its beauty/history, but what are the experts' thoughts on the just the stone itself and its quality? I see some inclusions in the center off the bat, but I like the lighter green (even though it's not trades ideal maybe), and the saturation.

2) Of note, ring comes with AGL certificate for the 1.6 ct emerald, deeming it "insignificant traditional treatment" and "of Columbia Origin" and "Very Good Stability". Does that mean it's only oiled? Does it also mean that even if there are surface reaching fissures that the stone is still "stable" for years to come?

3)How much do you think the stone alone would sell for in today's market?

4) Any recommendations re trusted vendors where I can purchase a stone of similar caliber?

As always, thank you all for the opportunity to learn =)2

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a beautiful ring but you are paying a hefty premium for the name, history and unusual cut of both emerald and diamonds.
The actual colour of the emerald isn’t “top grade”, a deeper more intense green is preferred.
Most Emeralds are oiled, it would be rare to find a completely untreated emerald. Emeralds are a type 2 gem meaning it is natural that they are full of flaws. Obviously flaws do affect clarity and structural integrity but Emeralds are generally brittle anyway and not best suited to everyday wearing. More a special occasion ring.
These days you do need to be aware of more invasive and less acceptable treatments ie more than just oil and ensure you buy from reputable vendors with appropriate lab reports.
The stability comment would refer to the treatment type, not the emerald itself. Oiling is stable but can dry out if exposed to jewellers pickle / ultrasonic cleaners. Emeralds can be re oiled I’d necessary. A modern alternative is a substance called “opticon” which is more stable and permanent type of oiling but it isn’t liked by everyone as it is seen as “more” than just traditional oiling.
Do not put an emerald in an ultrasonic cleaner at home!

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@Bron357 thank you as always, you are a wealth of knowledge, and always so kind to take the time to teach beginners like me!

@CHRISTY-DANIELLE Thanks for sharing! It's beautiful! I especially love the details. Are you thinking of purchasing it? How perfect it's your birthstone also!

@peacechick Hi there and thanks for weighing in. Yes, I think I will save my money for something else to come along later down the line!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
No, I'm not purchasing the ring I posted, (though I would if I could), it was fresh on my mind since I had just seen it the day before. I thought the emerald was close to the color you liked and at a much lower price point.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with others. It's pretty, but IMHO not worth the brand name mark up. For that much $, there are some truly glorious emerald rings!

Thanks for sharing your opinion! I'm not a stickler for big designer names either aka paying big bucks just for the name. Would like to save up for a nice emerald somewhere down the line though. Will keep you all posted!

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
No, I'm not purchasing the ring I posted, (though I would if I could), it was fresh on my mind since I had just seen it the day before. I thought the emerald was close to the color you liked and at a much lower price point.

Thank you, that's kind of you to share! I think I'll save up for a nice loose unoiled emerald some point down the line.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the Cartier ring. It should hold its value and appreciate in time. I don't mind the treatment as the stone is pretty. Just make sure the stone is original to the setting.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
I like the Cartier ring. It should hold its value and appreciate in time. I don't mind the treatment as the stone is pretty. Just make sure the stone is original to the setting.

Thanks for taking the time to weigh in! I think you bring up an important point re authentication. Unfortunately short of accessing the Cartier archives using the serial number on the ring shank, you are right in that it would be hard to be sure the entire piece is original, stone and all.

Readinglady

Rough_Rock
I've loved the Cartier ring since they first posted. Out of my range.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a photo of the actual
AGL report?

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Is there a photo of the actual
AGL report?

I had asked for one months ago and was sent a copy via email--I no longer have it unfortunately. It did say minor treatement if I remember correctly.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results