shape
carat
color
clarity

Opal or Diamond Reset

Readinglady

Rough_Rock
I have my grandmother's pendant which contains an oval opal I also have a diamond ER with a .97J diamond. I'm having a ring made by CVB and keep going back and forth between setting the opal or diamond. Either way I want vintage cluster style. How can I decide ? Honestly I want both but cant afford to do two. Opinions welcome

voce

Ideal_Rock
Why would you want to change the ER? If you hate the ER, then change the ER, as you'll likely wear it more often than the opal. If you don't hate the ER, set the opal.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you’re making an Opal ring just be aware that an Opal, in a ring, isnt really suitable for everyday wear, more a special occasion ring. Opals are soft and can chip.

Readinglady

Rough_Rock
Hi Yes. I have an ER. This would definitely not be every day ring. Thanks.

Readinglady

Rough_Rock
Why would you want to change the ER? If you hate the ER, then change the ER, as you'll likely wear it more often than the opal. If you don't hate the ER, set the opal.

The ER is not mine. It was a second one with no personal attachment My original ER was stolen when our home was robbed. I purchased this, but didnt love it. I was going to sell it, but for what I'd get it us not worth it. So I figured I'd do something with the diamond to make it useable.

Readinglady

Rough_Rock
20190221_063706.jpg Screenshot_20190220-170025_Samsung Internet.jpg Here is the opal (hard to photograph inside) and possible type setting. Obviously the pear sides would need to be smaller to be able to afford. (Second photo credit to Victor Barbone). The opal is oval. Photo appears round

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would choose diamond just because one has to be so careful with an opal ring. I guess it really just depends on when you want to wear this ring. I know you said it is not an everyday ring and if you are good to baby it and wear it carefully then I say get exactly what your heart desires. But if it is at all in question about being super careful with wearing the opal ring then I choose diamond for easy peasy wear. And keep your grandmother's opal in a pendant where you can more safely enjoy wearing it.

As long as you are fully aware of the pros and cons I always choose following what your heart wants. Because nothing else will fully quench your thirst and fully satiate your desires.

follow-your-heart-but-take-your-brain-with-you-15003944.png

Readinglady

Rough_Rock
I would choose diamond just because one has to be so careful with an opal ring. I guess it really just depends on when you want to wear this ring. I know you said it is not an everyday ring and if you are good to baby it and wear it carefully then I say get exactly what your heart desires. But if it is at all in question about being super careful with wearing the opal ring then I choose diamond for easy peasy wear. And keep your grandmother's opal in a pendant where you can more safely enjoy wearing it.

As long as you are fully aware of the pros and cons I always choose following what your heart wants. Because nothing else will fully quench your thirst and fully satiate your desires.

follow-your-heart-but-take-your-brain-with-you-15003944.png

Thanks for reply. Would an opal pendant be more practical?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for reply. Would an opal pendant be more practical?

I think so. A pendant gets less wear and tear than a ring. At least for me it does. I am always moving my hands and using them while my necklaces remain safe from all the action so to speak.
But what would give you more pleasure? An opal ring you can easily see but when wearing a pendant you aren't seeing it as you wear it. There are pros and cons to each option and I would make a list and then maybe the answer will be clearer as to what is the best choice for you.

Readinglady

Rough_Rock
There are pros and cons to each option and I would make a list and then maybe the answer will be clearer as to what is the best choice for you.

Yes. I love to stare at my rings lol. I know it sounds shallow. But I don't really have pendants as most were stolen. Ugh Very hard decision as I want to be satisfied so I can stop buying rings. Lol

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
20190221_063706.jpg Screenshot_20190220-170025_Samsung Internet.jpg Here is the opal (hard to photograph inside) and possible type setting. Obviously the pear sides would need to be smaller to be able to afford. (Second photo credit to Victor Barbone). The opal is oval. Photo appears round

Hello!

I hope im not missing something that was already said but I felt it important to tell you that the "stone" in the first picture isnt a natural opal. I dont think its a natural stone at all, but something man made to be a slight ringer for opal. It does appear vintage though and as a pendant its still pretty.
Just thought that it was worth mentioning as having a ring made by that designer isnt cheap.

Good luck!

Readinglady

Rough_Rock
Hello!

I hope im not missing something that was already said but I felt it important to tell you that the "stone" in the first picture isnt a natural opal. I dont think its a natural stone at all, but something man made to be a slight ringer for opal. It does appear vintage though and as a pendant its still pretty.
Just thought that it was worth mentioning as having a ring made by that designer isnt cheap.

Good luck!

Hi. Sadly I was told that. So a pendant it will remain. But so happy to know so my decision was easy. Thanks

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Hi. Sadly I was told that. So a pendant it will remain. But so happy to know so my decision was easy. Thanks

Glad to hear that i could help solidify your decision!

I went through an opal phase and became obsessed with australian types and still retain a bit of it.
Two months of that obsession ended with 10 pieces of opal jewelry.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Glad that this decision was made easy. Your diamond will look beautiful in a new ring. :geek2:

Readinglady

Rough_Rock
Glad to hear that i could help solidify your decision!

I went through an opal phase and became obsessed with australian types and still retain a bit of it.
Two months of that obsession ended with 10 pieces of opal jewelry.

It is very addictive really. I just wanted this one because it was hers. Not worth the investment if it's not real, so I'll leave it as a pin.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think so. A pendant gets less wear and tear than a ring. At least for me it does. I am always moving my hands and using them while my necklaces remain safe from all the action so to speak.
But what would give you more pleasure? An opal ring you can easily see but when wearing a pendant you aren't seeing it as you wear it. There are pros and cons to each option and I would make a list and then maybe the answer will be clearer as to what is the best choice for you.

I've become quite partial to seeing Opals set in pendants lately, if you love being asked about your jewelry then an Opal with bright colors in a pendant, constantly shifting and changing is going to catch the eye of almost everyone you talk to.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've become quite partial to seeing Opals set in pendants lately, if you love being asked about your jewelry then an Opal with bright colors in a pendant, constantly shifting and changing is going to catch the eye of almost everyone you talk to.

For sure. Even a beautiful opal ring garners quite a lot of attention. I can never wear my black opal in anonymity lol. It is not for the shy of heart or for those who are not up for attention let me warn you.:lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results