shape
carat
color
clarity

On the search for a 3ct + blue sapphire

torontocatlady

Shiny_Rock
Hi guys!

Been lurking around PS for a while but this is my first time posting - hopefully I'm in the right place!

We recently got engaged and my fiancée and I are now on the hunt for an e-ring. We're so excited and are trying to enjoy the process but theres SO much to consider!!! We're torn between diamond and sapphire but we've decided that whichever we choose we'd like to have it set by Victor Canera (thanks PSers for the rec!) and we've already reached out to him. For the purpose of this post, I'd love to hear your opinions on Sapphire E-rings and see if you guys can help me find something beautiful.

If we're going to go for a sapphire, we're hoping for a 3ct+ unheated stone. We will probably have it set in a delicate halo style ring in platinum. Our budget for the stone itself is around 10-12k (based on what we were going to spend on a diamond) but of course coming in lower would be great :D

I've found only one sapphire so far thats caught my eye. What do you guys think of this one? Its 3.5ct unheated cushion priced at just under 10k USD from multicolour.com. I've already reached out to David and he's wonderful - he's also offered a GIA cert which shows the stone is unheated. Do you guys think its a bit pricy or is this in the range of how much a quality sapphire costs?

j2w_ysa954aa.jpg

TIA for all your thoughts!!!

torontocatlady

Shiny_Rock
Update:

I've found another few I'm considering but need an expert eye to help along the way!

4.83ct elongated cushion from Gemrite --> the price seems really good, any ideas why? Anyone have experience dealing with John?
https://loupetroop.com/listings/loo...eated-ceylon-blue-sapphire-4-dot-83-cts;16822

5.3ct from Finewater Gems --> its a bit lighter than I would have liked but the size is nice for the price!
https://www.finewatergems.com/store/p332/5.30_ct_Unheated_Ceylon_Sapphire.html

6.5ct from Multicolour.com
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?-1762785999 ---> this is so expensive but the cut is unreal

The original 3.55ct from Multicolour.com that I was considering ---> this is my favourite in terms of colour.
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/index.html?1576764898

Anyway would love your guys input!!! I like the deeper colours but sadly I'm struggling to find one that isn't heated.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You might want to contact Roger Dery of Roger Dery Gem Design, Jeff White of JL White fine Gems in addition to Gary Braun of Finewater Gems. One of these cutters may have some rough or a gem that would work for you. Keep in mind that your sapphire will darken once it is set in a halo.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will Victor not source one for you? He tends to not work with outside stones.

torontocatlady

Shiny_Rock
@princessandthepear thanks for the recommendations, I'll reach out and see if they have anything hidden up their sleeves :)

@whitewave I had read that about Victor too. When I asked if he could source one he told me he had in the past sourced sapphires for clients but its not an area that he's extremely experienced in. I really respect his honesty in that regard and thought that was very cool for him to admit. I'm hoping that means he'd be willing to set an outside stone for me but he was just reluctant to source one. Maybe I should clarify...

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, well I am very pleased with my sapphire from fine water gems

torontocatlady

Shiny_Rock
@whitewave I may have to stretch my budget for that beauty Finewater Sapphire. When you purchased from Fine Water, did you pick one off the site or did you commission Gary to source one for you? Maybe he can work with my budget....

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave I may have to stretch my budget for that beauty Finewater Sapphire. When you purchased from Fine Water, did you pick one off the site or did you commission Gary to source one for you? Maybe he can work with my budget....

I bought one on sale. I like Gary. Contact him and see what he says.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The multicolour one looks spectacular. Have you asked if it is possible to get a video?

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I met with Gary @Finewater today. He's fabulous to work with, and has oodles of sparkly stones! Please do reach out to him.

torontocatlady

Shiny_Rock
Gary got back to me! He is very nice and very helpful but he says he doesn't have many sapphires. What do you think of the 5.3ct he has linked above - he says thats the closest he has available to what I've requested :love::love: I'd be going over budget by about 2k on that one but still... everyone here seems to love his gems! I think I'm getting a bit crazy as we really wanted at least 3ct but now I'm seeing 4 - 5ct options for just a little more from really reputable cutters like Gary.. so confused!!!

@qubitasaurus The multicolour.com one I feel is just stunning too! I'm not sure if it just photographs the best or it actually is the nicest stone. David from multicolour has been magnificent. He responds to my quickly emails and has been happy to provide all the photos and videos I've asked for (in natural light, in the studio, overcast light etc.). I'm just really struggling with the idea of shipping a stone from Thailand all the way to Canada and multicolour gets mixed reviews on PS. Its also the highest price per carat of the ones I'm looking at but it really does looks gorgeous in all the photos/videos he's sent.

Here's a videos he sent me as well as a photograph in overcast lighting:

ysa954aa_onhand.jpg

Reactions: AV_

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gary got back to me! He is very nice and very helpful but he says he doesn't have many sapphires. What do you think of the 5.3ct he has linked above - he says thats the closest he has available to what I've requested :love::love: I'd be going over budget by about 2k on that one but still... everyone here seems to love his gems! I think I'm getting a bit crazy as we really wanted at least 3ct but now I'm seeing 4 - 5ct options for just a little more from really reputable cutters like Gary.. so confused!!!

@qubitasaurus The multicolour.com one I feel is just stunning too! I'm not sure if it just photographs the best or it actually is the nicest stone. David from multicolour has been magnificent. He responds to my quickly emails and has been happy to provide all the photos and videos I've asked for (in natural light, in the studio, overcast light etc.). I'm just really struggling with the idea of shipping a stone from Thailand all the way to Canada and multicolour gets mixed reviews on PS. Its also the highest price per carat of the ones I'm looking at but it really does looks gorgeous in all the photos/videos he's sent.

Here's a videos he sent me as well as a photograph in overcast lighting:

ysa954aa_onhand.jpg

Wow that is stunning. I think multicolour gets mixed reviews because they have a broad spectrum of price points for their stones -- I feel like it is a site where you often get what you paid for. In the sense that if you buy a $300 stone from multicolour when you really wanted a several $1000 option from another vendor then you may be disapointed. Having said that I dont think you should buy at all unless you understand how returns and return shipping will work (i.e. does it need to go back to thailand if you dont like it? How does that work?).
Ofcourse the finewater option is nice too (it may be a slight trade off between colour and size, the finewater stone is significantly biger). So you should pick what you like best.

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And find out first what customs or duties you might have to pay to import into Canada from Thailand (or any other country for that matter).
Here in Aussieland if is 10% or 15% of value, so can be a very $$$ shock if you aren’t expecting it!

rahulus

Rough_Rock
Any progress on your search @MrsKMB?

I am at the same stage as yourself and have been looking for a very similar stone and ring design (although I prefer an more squared-off cushion or radiant cut - pretty much exactly as in the picture below).

I am trying to source through a local jeweler here than go the online route, would be interested to hear how you are getting on!

ring.jpg

Attachments

• ed68a7cb-d79a-46aa-8343-c7a1cde4601b.jpg
    ed68a7cb-d79a-46aa-8343-c7a1cde4601b.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 32

torontocatlady

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone!

Thanks for the follow up, I've been on vacation and missed these messages but back and still searching!

I contacted Jeff White and he was so accommodating and responsive, I would not hesitate to recommend him even though I haven't yet purchased - I can understand why others rave about him. He mentioned that he has some good suppliers in Ceylon + elsewhere and he's been very transparent about what the costs are going to likely end up being. @rahulus he actually showed me a gorgeous 3.05ct square cushion in a similar colour to your picture which he has available but not listed on his website. I declined it because I prefer the softer shape of the cushion but I was seriously considering it!! If you consider the online route, maybe reach out to him about it!!

Although I was browsing Instagram last night and came across this ring at Lauren B I almost changed my mind about waiting for Jeff!! I feel like this sapphire is the look I want but the quality probably is not the same as what I'd get from Jeff. But heres the link for you guys to check it out :)
https://www.laurenbjewelry.com/5-46-ct-sapphire-and-diamond-ring.html

For now I will wait to see what Jeff can find and keep the Multicolour ring as my option 2. Although Multicolour does have a beautiful stone and great return policy, I feel like I need to just take a step back and wait to see what Jeff can find. I'm such an impatient person so its really tough!!!

@Acinom LOVE the sapphire in your picture!!! Drooling...

Thanks for showing love guys!!!

Anne111

Shiny_Rock

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t understand how to use multicolour’s website. Any tips?

The laurenB ring is pretty, but the video won’t play for me. I feel like you could do better,,,, that’s me not seeing it in person or the video.

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm such an impatient person so its really tough!!!

It's so important to NOT get in a hurry. There will always be another sapphire that's just as gorgeous, just as perfect. Be patient. I find myself saying this over and over here on PS, because once you get the frenzy it's hard to slow down.
That said, I like the multicolor one. I've bought from David, kept some and returned some. Never had a problem. The returns were slow but that was ok because they were't expensive stones. I don't know how it would work in your price range...for that I would have a serious talk with David.

ANAGUTGAR

Rough_Rock
Hi, what do you think about these 2 sapphires?
The first is Royal blue 5.03 cts (untreated/unheated; origin Madagascar) with GIA
certificate.

DSC07276.JPG
img382.jpg
The second one Ceylon untreated/unheated 3.51cts cornflower blue colour.
GIA certificate.
img381.jpg Copia de DSC07598.JPG

Hope you fin the best.
Best regards!!!

torontocatlady

Shiny_Rock
@Anne111 @whitewave I did look at wild fish but I never noticed the comments and descriptions. I think I’ll have to read more into this :)

The Lauren B is probably just tempting because it’s done!! I emailed them about it and it’s 16k for reference. Not bad but David’s stone is much nicer and I could probably have it made for less.

@ANAGUTGAR I love the colour of the first stone you posted! Beautiful :)

@suzanne2 I never realized how difficult it was to find the perfect coloured gem. With diamonds it seems like anything you want can be sourced within a week but the perfect sapphire is so hard to come by! David has been great so far but the stone is still top end of the budget and I’m still humming and hawing

In other news, Jeff said he may have something for me and will send me deets tomorrow. I’m so excited guys! I will let you know how it goes!!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@torontocatlady I would avoid LaurenB. Her pieces are gorgeous, but WAY overpriced IMHO. You'll be able to find something higher quality for a more reasonable price. Excited to see what Jeff says!

Anne111

Shiny_Rock

ANAGUTGAR

Rough_Rock
5.3ct looks good, but the 3ct is shallow in the center, isn't it? Window?

Hi, Anne 111

It isn´t shallow in the centre and has no window, pictures are not professional. This specimen comes from the Kataragama mine in Sri Lanka and I bought in 2012, it´s icy totally transparent.
I enclose GIA pdf about the material founded from this mine.
http://www.giathai.net/pdf/Kataragama.pdf
Thanks and good hunting!!!

torontocatlady

Shiny_Rock
I can’t understand how to use multicolour’s website. Any tips?

Its not the easiest to use - I think there are so many gems it can be difficult to find what you're looking for. A blessing and a curse really! Usually I click right at the top on the button for "single stones" and then I select which stone I would like to view. I pretty much always refine using the "advance options" just to filter what I'm looking for. Be careful you don't over filter though as you'll lose some stuff.
Multicolour seems to have a has a lot of great stuff but you do have to spend some time searching. I highly recommend a computer rather than a phone :)

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Hi, Anne 111

It isn´t shallow in the centre and has no window, pictures are not professional. This specimen comes from the Kataragama mine in Sri Lanka and I bought in 2012, it´s icy totally transparent.

Uh, sorry, I can clearly see the structure of the linen behind the gem = window
I think you mean transparency.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi, Anne 111

Based on the photos both of these stones either have windows or tilt windows. My guess is they are both windowed. Can you see them in person?

Edit I just realized you are not the OP. I take it you have both stones in your possession. If you want to sell either then you should read the pricescope policy on trade members.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results