shape
carat
color
clarity

Odd fluorescence in a garnet?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are my very dirty earrings (kept in a box). Apologies for the dust. I like this style. My design. B534653D-64DC-45F9-B47B-337C5357D1D0.jpeg B7616E2B-00C6-4249-B2BD-FD731547D6D4.jpeg Four red garnets and two green tourmalines. After a year of ownership, I noticed strange fluorescence in a pyrope or almandine, whatever it is.
Three are bought from one vendor, one from another. I don’t remember who provided this specimen.
I mean, red garnets are cheap, probably costs more to make synthetics. The jeweler did not notice anything either.
Thoughts? I know what I think, but somewhat curious...(I wish I could say, “They sold my a Burmese ruby by mistake!”, lol! But no such luck)

Last edited:

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Maybe something else got mixed in the parcel or sold differently? Pyrope and pyrope mixes don’t fluoresce.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe something else got mixed in the parcel or sold differently? Pyrope and pyrope mixes don’t fluoresce.

Yes, I know. And I don’t expect anything else except for 2 tourmalines+ 3 pyropes+ 1 synthetic in these earrings.. I am surprised that anyone would care to even go that route. BTW, both vendors are trusted, so chances are, whoever sold it was not aware either.
(Although if the locals in Africa made a huge piece of synthetic and cut it in pieces and sold separately, could have made some money from it. I assume?).

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Red garnets don’t fluoresce because their red colour is from Iron and not Chromium.
I’d say a lab ruby has somehow slipped into the vendors supply and not been detected. Most people buy garnets at face value, they don’t bother “testing” them.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Red garnets don’t fluoresce because their red colour is from Iron and not Chromium.
I’d say a lab ruby has somehow slipped into the vendors supply and not been detected. Most people buy garnets at face value, they don’t bother “testing” them.

You know, @Bron357, I actually used to test magnetic properties of red garnets, although on larger stones. And time I played with the fluorescent flashlight for fun as well, but too late.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, @Bron357, I actually used to test magnetic properties of red garnets, although on larger stones. And time I played with the fluorescent flashlight for fun as well, but too late.

Yes, it’s easier to test unset garnets for their magnetism but once set the setting is usually too heavy. I wouldn’t worry unduly, the earrings are absolutely gorgeou.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it’s easier to test unset garnets for their magnetism but once set the setting is usually too heavy. I wouldn’t worry unduly, the earrings are absolutely gorgeou.

Well, when they are bezeled, one can’t undo it, right? )))

But a lesson learned, even these cheap pyropes can be synthetic.

Thank you for your kind compliment, @Bron357!

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Maybe spinel if singly refractive. Get the RI tested

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe spinel if singly refractive. Get the RI tested

Well, this would be too good, would it not? I remember a joke from a book, "they deceived you. They sold you a much better stone".
But I shall do it, just in case. I don't hold my breath, though. ;-)

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well, this would be too good, would it not? I remember a joke from a book, "they deceived you. They sold you a much better stone".
But I shall do it, just in case. I don't hold my breath, though. ;-)

I think of spinel because both spinel and garnet are singly reflective. I have an uncertified red spinel. I asked someone to identify the stone verbally at a local gem show. Because the stone is so clean and he didn't have a strong powered microscope. He assumed the stone is natural. He said the synthetic spinel has problem with the clarity.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think of spinel because both spinel and garnet are singly reflective. I have an uncertified red spinel. I asked someone to identify the stone verbally at a local gem show. Because the stone is so clean and he didn't have a strong powered microscope. He assumed the stone is natural. He said the synthetic spinel has problem with the clarity.

I remember a totally opposite story. I had a red square spinel from old times, and the jeweler said, too clean, not a single inclusion. We sent it to AGL and it came back as natural untreated, just super clean.

I shall check it, of course. Thank you for your kind advice.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I am looking at the stones. Dusty they are, but the upper L is darker. Which is something I knew - the jeweler told me they had different colors, but since my ears are half-closed by my hair, I don't care and only asked to match them the best way. So I think the lower ones match better color-wise.

IRL the differences are not noticeable. They are all dark red stones.

On the other hand, I think I understood who supplied the top L that is darker. By exclusion, I know how I got three others. ))) A very trusted and liked vendor, so I am not spilling out the name.

If the vendors are following the thread, sirs, please check the material better.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first guess would be that a spinel got mixed up in there as well....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results