shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some advice puhlease :(

Brucelee786

Rough_Rock
hi all,

im sure you have read this a ton before.

I really want to get a 1 carat diamond. However, I want it to sparkle a lot. o_O

Please help me decide between these two, price wise are the same:

.85 Carat H Color VVS2
DEPTH -61
TABLE -56
CROWN -34.5
PAVILION -40.8
GIRDLE -THIN TO MEDIUM 3%
CULET -NONE
POL/SYM -EX/EX
HCA -1.2
CLARITY -PINPOINT, FEATHER, CLOUD

1 Carat F Color I1
DEPTH -62
TABLE -57
CROWN -35.5
PAVILION -40.6
GIRDLE -MEDIUM TO SLIGHTLY THICK 4%
CULET -NONE
POL/SYM -EX/EX
HCA -1.4
CLARITY -CLOUD, CRYSTAL, FEATHER, CAVITY, NEEDLE, INDENTED NATURAL, NATURAL

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely don't get an i1 for an engagement ring. The first one seems promising. Do you have pic or video? What is your budget?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ps. VVS is overkill on clarity, so you are paying more for a difference you can't see.

Brucelee786

Rough_Rock
Pics below. I am looking around $3900. The only other way to get a 1 carat lower price, is I can buy a I or J color. Is that better or is an H .85 still better to get?

I1
DScreenshot_1.jpg
VVS2
DVScreenshot_1.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you consider upgrading in the future? A few of the vendors we like have excellent upgrade policies. Just pick out a stone that
cost more than your original stone. ACAs are considered branded super ideals H&A. Expert Selection and Premium just miss ACA.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4100699.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3025058.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4091530.htm

BTW...the first stone you posted looks promising. Could be a very nice stone.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The VVS2 looks good. The I1 looks pretty bad, and those inclusions will be noticeable. Do you know your GFs color tolerance? Many people are ok with I/J, but not everyone.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS. given your budget and constraints, I would call ID Jewelry in New York, or USA Certed diamonds. Both will help you find something great and affordable.

Brucelee786

Rough_Rock
She definitely does not want yellow to show. She likes WHITE diamonds.

I never took a look at Whiteflash before, and those do look nice. Are there any ACAs around .94+ Carat around $4000?

These are the Ideal-Scope for the .85 VVS2 one. Is it a H&A diamond?
Screenshot_1.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It'll be very hard to get an ideal cut H&A stone without any color showing (that likely means g/h and above) for 3900 or less.

Does your GF care about size or Color the most? If you can find an ideal cut .8 stone and upgrade later, is that ok?

Brucelee786

Rough_Rock
i know she wanted a carat and around H color so not too yellow. Not sure upgrade later will happen. :(

I wanted to see if I am stuck with the .85 VVS2, and it appears so for that price range.

Thank you all for ur help:geek2:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She definitely does not want yellow to show. She likes WHITE diamonds.

I never took a look at Whiteflash before, and those do look nice. Are there any ACAs around .94+ Carat around $4000?

Screenshot_1.jpg

FYI the images above is an arrows image on top, a hearts image second down and an ASET image last.

Keep in mind, while these are called a "hearts image" it does not always mean you have a true hearts and arrow (H&A) stone. These images tell us a lot about the symmetry and precision faceting of a stone.

In this case, the stone is NOT a true H&A stone. This is easily seen in the hearts image as the hearts aren't symmetrical, etc.

Worse yet, the ASET shows the stone has leakage at roughly 11 and 5 o'clock. That is the white spots you see in the red.

Too bad, the stone had promising proportions. But this illustrates the importance of advanced imagery.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Theres a 1.012 J SI1 A Cut Above for $5394 and I don't think you're going to find a 1ct H&A stone for anything less than $5000. There are some less expensive Expert Selection choices at WF. The GOG stone is very nice.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is your budget completely stuck? for 1ct, best bargain well cut stone I could find, has grade setting inclusion under the crown. Seems reasonably transparent and out the way.

https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1....4.894&p=1&utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

Slightly cheaper 1ct
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1....4.456&p=1&utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

but busy inclusion plot

To stick strictly to budget:
https://www.fourmine.com/shop/diamond/1309014?utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Theres a 1.012 J SI1 A Cut Above for $5394 and I don't think you're going to find a 1ct H&A stone for anything less than $5000. There are some less expensive Expert Selection choices at WF. The GOG stone is very nice.
I agree. OP: you need to have an honest convo with your GF about her desires and budget, which currently are in conflict. Whiteflash ACA J color often look very white, but she would need to be on board. Conversely, a .8ish G ACA is doable, but .82 or .85 isn't 1ct, and she needs to understand that upfront.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is your budget completely stuck? for 1ct, best bargain well cut stone I could find, has grade setting inclusion under the crown. Seems reasonably transparent and out the way.

https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1....4.894&p=1&utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

Slightly cheaper 1ct
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1....4.456&p=1&utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

but busy inclusion plot

To stick strictly to budget:
https://www.fourmine.com/shop/diamond/1309014?utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc
My concern is that OP expressed interest in an ideal cut stone (or h&a), which makes me hesistant to recommend stuff without advanced images. The 1st and 3rd you linked could be great, but we need more info. The second one has a horrifying plot.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My concern is that OP expressed interest in an ideal cut stone (or h&a), which makes me hesistant to recommend stuff without advanced images. The 1st and 3rd you linked could be great, but we need more info. The second one has a horrifying plot.

I think the OP's primary concern is sparkle and cut on a budget. They may feel H&A is the only way to achieve this. The most sensible way is well cut stones, with as eye clean as possible with low clarity that do not demand an H&A price tag.

My favourite is the 1st one, but is $900 above budget. The third one is not as well cut I don't think as the first but will probably perform admirably. The inclusion is at 6:30 oclock under the crown and reflecting under the table at 12:30. This may or may not be an issue. Needs vetting.

The second one has a busy inclusion plot, but does not have any large horrible inclusions, especially from the top, it looks ok. It looks well cut from the numbers although the video unfortunately does not show a head on frame. It would need vetting.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screenshot_1.jpg
No it is not a H&A stone. I would shoot for the best G/H SI1 H&A stone that I can buy for $4K.

Brucelee786

Rough_Rock
Ugh - if anyone sees an Eye Clean G/H SI1 H&A for $4K, I am in.

Even .90+ carat

Please let me know. I really appreciate all the help in this big purchase

Also the .85 isn’t a True H&A but for about $3800, is it good ? Will sparkle a lot if I end up with this one? I know there’s slight leakage but it seems 90% good. No?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nice find by @Dancing Fire.

From BGD, I would get the lowest colour and clarity to facilitate easier upgrade if that was something you wanted to consider in the future.

Brucelee786

Rough_Rock
Ok is Pointed Culet a concern? I read it breaks... :cry2:

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No, almost every single diamond of the sort you're looking for is going to be pointed culet or none. They are the same.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure what the measurements are for the .85 that you’re considering, but here’s a beautiful Whiteflash Premium Select 0.82 H VS2 for $3,795 ($3,682 wire). No light-leakage and near H&A. It may be similar in face up size and then you’d be eligible for WF trade-up policy.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3025058.htm

Recently there was a post by a PS member who went from a 1 carat (I think) unsure-what-cut to an ideal cut 0.30 carat that outperforms the previous stone in every way but size. From what I could tell, this person was very happy with the exchange - that’s a significant decrease in size but well worth the significant increase in beauty. I know it’s strange, but sometimes it’s not all about size, lol. A 0.80 diamond is only about 0.5 mm smaller than a one carat .. that is barely a noticeable size difference that someone is unlikely to to discern from a one carat without side-by-side comparison. (Reminder to go by stone diameter instead of just carat weight when comparing size of diamonds while avoiding too shallow depth under 60). Plus it’s hard to tell size while being blinded by fire sparkles. Just a thought.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
To hit the "magical" one carat mark without giving up much elsewhere, you'll probably need another thousand bucks. I know it hurts haha but if it's do-able, that might be your happiest option.

Or, some shapes other than round cost less. Is round a must?

As has been mentioned, you might want to discuss it with her. If what you can reasonably afford is less than her first choice, maybe let her weigh in.

ETA: I just noticed you didn't say what type of certificates the diamonds you listed were. Some of them aren't trustworthy so that makes a big difference too.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think we might need to start over a bit.

OP: Can you tell us what your exact needs are?
  1. Do you *need* an h&a stone, or did you read somewhere that the only way to have good performance is with an H&A?
  2. Is your budget flexible at all, or is 3800 the absolute max?
  3. Is there a chance you could get your GF something smaller for now and then upgrade to a 1ct later?
  4. Did she say she needs a 1ct stone, or is that flexible?
  5. Has she seen ideal cut J colored stones? Not sure where you are located, but sometimes "hearts on fire" dealers are the easiest way to tell color tolerance.

Of the above things, something will have to give for 3800. Either you'll need a smaller stone, less ideal cut (e.g. not H&A, but still really good and we can help you with that), a lower color, etc.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What you want (1ct H&A stone, not yellow, $3800) does not exist. Start by asking yourself where you want to compromise. A compromise in price would mean adding another $1000. You could also go with a lab diamond, they are significantly less expensive. But you would want to make sure shes ok with that.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Just for thought, if an oval shape would work, here are several one carats in your price range with G or H color and VS2 or SI1 clarity.

You'd have to sort through the cuts though because ovals don't have standardized cut grades like the rounds do. Ovals cost a bit less and also have the advantage of looking larger than rounds on the hand.

https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/Search

Or, you might want to look up the same with one of the companies that has the best upgrade policy.

The other so-called "fancy" shapes (any shape besides round) also usually go for a little less than the rounds.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results