shape
carat
color
clarity

Need solitaire setting that can sit flush next to wedding band

Iwanttosparkle

Shiny_Rock
I was going to go with either the WF knife edge or the Vatche U-113. But I know it will bug me if my e-ring and wedding band don't sit flush. I went to a local jeweler in town who does custom work in CAD who says he can make one that won't have that doughnut? (I don't know the technical term), but the e-ring band would be flat on both sides.

It sounds good, but something in me is leery that prongs won't look the same. This is at a very reputable place where I live, in the most upscale part of town, and he seemed very confident he could do it. But I have zero experience with custom work so it's scary.

Does anyone have experience with WF or any other company notching out or removing that doughnut part?

Or do you have any recommendations for a different solitaire setting?

My wedding band that I need to sit flush is 2mm tall and 2.5 mm wide.

This is only my second post, I am a total newbie. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would talk to WF and see if they can make something. Trying to communicate about custom stuff to people who you don't know 100% can excecute your vision is scary and can be risky. I would trust wf more than pretty much any bench jeweler, so that's where I would start if I were you.

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
I think @mrs-b created a solitaire setting that didn't have a donut. She may have some words of wisdom for you! =)2 Also, I bet there are Stuller settings which might fit the description and would be less intimidating than a custom design.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I was thinking Stuller too ... but they have matching wedding bands for their engagement rings and I didn’t see any engagement rings would fit a plain band (I did not do a thorough search - you may be able to find something)... the bands that go with the Tiffany kind of style have a notch ... but if you’re not concerned with having a plain wedding band, Stuller has many matching sets and WF can source these settings for you.

https://www.stuller.com/products/17...ionType=recommendation&recommendationId=24014

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock

Iwanttosparkle

Shiny_Rock
I think @mrs-b created a solitaire setting that didn't have a donut. She may have some words of wisdom for you! =)2 Also, I bet there are Stuller settings which might fit the description and would be less intimidating than a custom design.
You're right, I find custom very intimidating. And dicey!

Iwanttosparkle

Shiny_Rock
Someone in an old thread said that these rings will fit with a 2mm high plain band:

Six prong but has channel set diamond shank:
https://www.eternitybyyoni.com/enga...-Ring-in-Cathedral-Setting-(.14-ctw.)-170.htm

Plain shank but four-prong:
https://www.eternitybyyoni.com/enga...e-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-by-Eternity-208.htm

This is the link to the old thread:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...nd-solitaires-ava-violet-dianna-nadia.155580/

Thank you, I am reading that thread now!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, @Iwanttosparkle! And thanks for the heads-up @LinSF :wavey:

To give you an idea - tho I know this isn't the style you're looking for - here's a ring made by a vendor generally considered around these parts to be pretty reliable! As you'll see - the setting is flush.

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-emilya-with-flush-fitting-stems

Pre-made is a great option, but a solitaire is such an easy thing, I wouldn't hesitate to go custom made.

Do you want it to be *absolutely* flush? My latest solitaire by DKJ has a tiny donut, and if you weren't looking too closely, pretty much everyone is going to think this looks flush.

20190426_104152.jpg

20190426_104853.jpg

20190426_104645.jpg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to add, @Iwanttosparkle -

The reason people go with a small donut is specifically to push the wedding band out from under the engagement ring. LinSF is right - I DID have a ring made with no donut; it was a mistake. The diamond wedding band (2.5mm wide) disappeared under it and it just looked messy. This was the donut-less ring I had for about a minute. The effect would have been exactly the same, even with a far smaller center stone.

Good luck with your search!

20180901_080717.jpg

Iwanttosparkle

Shiny_Rock

The reason people go with a small donut is specifically to push the wedding band out from under the engagement ring. LinSF is right - I DID have a ring made with no donut; it was a mistake. The diamond wedding band (2.5mm wide) disappeared under it and it just looked messy. This was the donut-less ring I had for about a minute. The effect would have been exactly the same, even with a far smaller center stone.

20180901_080717.jpg

Oooooooh, I didn't know that that was the purpose of the donut. Thank you for sharing this insight. I can totally see what you are saying now that I see your picture. Thank you for showing me. I would have never thought about it this way.

So much to think about.

I am very new to this forum. Do you know if I am allowed to post a link to the ring on the WF website? I'd like your thoughts on an option they sent me.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooooooh, I didn't know that that was the purpose of the donut. Thank you for sharing this insight. I can totally see what you are saying now that I see your picture. Thank you for showing me. I would have never thought about it this way.

So much to think about.

I am very new to this forum. Do you know if I am allowed to post a link to the ring on the WF website? I'd like your thoughts on an option they sent me.

Absolutely, @Iwanttosparkle! Post away. :))

Iwanttosparkle

Shiny_Rock

To give you an idea - tho I know this isn't the style you're looking for - here's a ring made by a vendor generally considered around these parts to be pretty reliable! As you'll see - the setting is flush.

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-emilya-with-flush-fitting-stems

Pre-made is a great option, but a solitaire is such an easy thing, I wouldn't hesitate to go custom made.

Do you want it to be *absolutely* flush? My latest solitaire by DKJ has a tiny donut, and if you weren't looking too closely, pretty much everyone is going to think this looks flush.

20190426_104152.jpg

20190426_104853.jpg

20190426_104645.jpg
The donut on the WF knife edge is only 1 mm tall. That doesn't leave much height for a band. I'm worried I won't be able to find one. Where were you able to find such low profile bands?

Iwanttosparkle

Shiny_Rock

20190426_104152.jpg

20190426_104853.jpg

20190426_104645.jpg
All your combos are beautiful. The solitaire in these pictures, which setting is that?

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock

20180901_080717.jpg

Ok, I’m not exactly TRYING to be contrary here, lol ... but I don’t mind a band disappearing under the engagement ring if it matches the engagement ring .. it looks more like a wider band than a second ring in that case ... I’d put a matching one on the other side too, so it does just look like a wider band ... but I totally “get” the separate ring thing that a lot of you prefer too. I guess it’s whatever look you’re going for. I love the little gap in that second set, @mrs-b !

irish_owl

Rough_Rock
I was going to go with either the WF knife edge or the Vatche U-113. But I know it will bug me if my e-ring and wedding band don't sit flush. I went to a local jeweler in town who does custom work in CAD who says he can make one that won't have that doughnut? (I don't know the technical term), but the e-ring band would be flat on both sides.

It sounds good, but something in me is leery that prongs won't look the same. This is at a very reputable place where I live, in the most upscale part of town, and he seemed very confident he could do it. But I have zero experience with custom work so it's scary.

Does anyone have experience with WF or any other company notching out or removing that doughnut part?

This is only my second post, I am a total newbie. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
Hi @Iwanttosparkle - what were your thoughts about the Simon G ring you mentioned in this thread? Did you ever receive any additional store pics of the MR2948 ring to help in your decision making, or did you find another ring that suited your wish list? I’ve been trying to find more info on the Simon G ring as my FF also wants that flush fit for a knife edge solitaire.

Iwanttosparkle

Shiny_Rock
Hi @Iwanttosparkle - what were your thoughts about the Simon G ring you mentioned in this thread? Did you ever receive any additional store pics of the MR2948 ring to help in your decision making, or did you find another ring that suited your wish list? I’ve been trying to find more info on the Simon G ring as my FF also wants that flush fit for a knife edge solitaire.

Hi @irish_owl - Someone here on pricescope pointed out to me that having the doughnut is actually a good thing because it prevents the wedding band and engagement ring from being scratched by each other. I have been married 18+ years and my white gold wedding band was very, very scratched all along the side. Furthermore, I was not consistent with always putting the scratched side facing the engagement ring so my wedding band was badly scratched on both sides, so the side facing me always looked less than tidy.

I never knew that this was because of flushness or that it could be avoided by a doughnut. I ordered the Vatche U113 from whiteflash but have not received it yet. I brought my white gold wedding band to a local jeweler and he took the scratches out and replated it. It looks brand new and I am hoping the doughnut will help to keep it that way. I know there will be a small gap, but I have looked at so many pictures of ring sets like that here on pricescope that the small gap has grown on me and looks normal now :) Also, once I realized that it is functional and has a purpose I am fine with it and actually want it now.

My plain wedding band and my channel set diamond band are both 2mm tall off the finger. Having that doughnut will keep them from being right at the base of the prongs of the solitaire where there is more friction and wear. I was going to go with the whiteflash knife edge, but the doughnut on the vatche u113 is slightly taller and gives more clearance, so I went with the vatche. I should get it next week. I have pictures in my email somewhere that they sent me of the Simon G, vatche, and wf version so I could compare them. If I can find them I will post them for you. I think they are all beautiful.

Last edited:

irish_owl

Rough_Rock
Hi @irish_owl - Someone here on pricescope pointed out to me that having the doughnut is actually a good thing because it prevents the wedding band and engagement ring from being scratched by each other. I have been married 18+ years and my white gold wedding band was very, very scratched all along the side. Furthermore, I was not consistent with always putting the scratched side facing the engagement ring so my wedding band was badly scratched on both sides, so the side facing me always looked less than tidy.

I never knew that this was because of flushness or that it could be avoided by a doughnut. I ordered the Vatche U113 from whiteflash but have not received it yet. I brought my white gold wedding band to a local jeweler and he took the scratches out and replated it. It looks brand new and I am hoping the doughnut will help to keep it that way. I know there will be a small gap, but I have looked at so many pictures of ring sets like that here on pricescope that the small gap has grown on me and looks normal now :) Also, once I realized that it is functional and has a purpose I am fine with it and actually want it now.

My plain wedding band and my channel set diamond band are both 2mm tall off the finger. Having that doughnut will keep them from being right at the base of the prongs of the solitaire where there is more friction and wear. I was going to go with the whiteflash knife edge, but the doughnut on the vatche u113 is slightly taller and gives more clearance, so I went with the vatche. I should get it next week. I have pictures in my email somewhere that they sent me of the Simon G, vatche, and wf version so I could compare them. If I can find them I will post them for you. I think they are all beautiful.

That is super helpful information that I was not aware of. I’ll find a way to bring this up with my FF. She’s fairly practical so this additional detail about protection for the wedding band may sway her from the flush fit as well.

Also, THANK YOU for sharing the pics. For someone who has been running crazy online desperately trying to find any non-stock pics, this is immensely helpful. Are those about 1 carat equivalents in the sample rings?
The SG ring does seem pretty cohesive in its design. That Vatche is also beautiful (great choice!) and still one that catches my eye for her even if she doesn’t like the donut as of now...but I’m not the one who has to wear it I guess :) I wish they had sent you a dead on profile view of the rings but I hope to get one soon. Thanks again for your help and perspective!

Iwanttosparkle

Shiny_Rock
That is super helpful information that I was not aware of. I’ll find a way to bring this up with my FF. She’s fairly practical so this additional detail about protection for the wedding band may sway her from the flush fit as well.

Also, THANK YOU for sharing the pics. For someone who has been running crazy online desperately trying to find any non-stock pics, this is immensely helpful. Are those about 1 carat equivalents in the sample rings?
The SG ring does seem pretty cohesive in its design. That Vatche is also beautiful (great choice!) and still one that catches my eye for her even if she doesn’t like the donut as of now...but I’m not the one who has to wear it I guess :) I wish they had sent you a dead on profile view of the rings but I hope to get one soon. Thanks again for your help and perspective!

@irish_owl - Glad it helped, this forum has been very educational for me, I am trying to pay it forward. When I was still in the decision phase, I was scouring the internet for pictures, too. This is a big, expensive decision and I try to be as informed as possible.

Yes, they told me that they are 1 carat approximate CZ's.

legaleagle84

Rough_Rock

What causes wedding bands to not sit flush against the solitaire, i.e. the classic Tiffany 6 prong solitaire, is the donut head at the base of the diamond. I was thinking of getting a curved band and then I asked if I could go custom for my setting and asked for the design to be as close as possible to the Tiffany setting but have that donut shaved down so it isn’t sticking out as much at the base of the diamond setting. Attached is the photo of the drawing. As long as I don’t get a wedding band that is too tall or too chunky, it will sit flush. They want to know if I approve so that they can make it. I am also posting this to ask anyone if they can Think of a reason why this is a bad idea. I am also attaching a photo of the drawing where it is the classic Tiffany 6 prong setting and how a custom band with a very tiny curve would sit as comparison. I couldn’t “embrace the gap” and I didn’t like the idea of a curve because then you can’t wear the wedding band without a diamond ring.

25279A00-77C7-4F2E-A1BC-B04D0403F8A7.png FA09849C-9216-4417-B278-092CCD22C1D5.jpeg

legaleagle84

Rough_Rock

20190426_104152.jpg

20190426_104853.jpg

20190426_104645.jpg

How much of a donut did you end up getting? Ie. the same size as the Tiffany 6 prong, or half the size of the donut on that?

The more I read up about this, the more worried I am getting about removing the donut completely... ie damage to rings...
Also, what jewellery store is DKJ? When I Google DKJ a bunch of different ones come up.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How much of a donut did you end up getting? Ie. the same size as the Tiffany 6 prong, or half the size of the donut on that?

The more I read up about this, the more worried I am getting about removing the donut completely... ie damage to rings...
Also, what jewellery store is DKJ? When I Google DKJ a bunch of different ones come up.

David Klass Jewellery. Well known and does a bunch of custom and non-custom work. His website isn’t live yet but he’s been around a long time

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results