shape
carat
color
clarity

Need opinion on re-cut

GLbluegreen

Shiny_Rock
Hello all. I know there are many threads on gems discussing re-cutting but I am hoping perhaps someone with the expertise could advise me on a gem I have on hold and has recently gone through a re-cut. It is a tourmaline that originally started with a weight of 2.45 ct and after the re-cut it is now 1.88 ct. The vendor told me that the measurements stayed the same at 6.93x8.46.
So what specifically is this telling me ? Where would the weight loss be from ?

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Please show a photo so the other PSers can help you. I was told usually the weight loss of a recut is 25% of the original weight of the stone.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The weight loss is probably in the pavilion of the gem. You could ask the vendor for specifics on the recut if you are uncertain.

GLbluegreen

Shiny_Rock
pwsg07 I am awaiting photo's from the vendor. When I get them I will post. Thanks for commenting as well as princessandthepear.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello all. I know there are many threads on gems discussing re-cutting but I am hoping perhaps someone with the expertise could advise me on a gem I have on hold and has recently gone through a re-cut. It is a tourmaline that originally started with a weight of 2.45 ct and after the re-cut it is now 1.88 ct. The vendor told me that the measurements stayed the same at 6.93x8.46.
So what specifically is this telling me ? Where would the weight loss be from ?

Totally possible the length/width stayed the same if it was deep and needed the belly trimmed to improve performance. Tummy tucks for gems :mrgreen2:

GLbluegreen

Shiny_Rock
bludiva......LOL yeah that is a good one

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results