shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help reading ASET report for cushion cut diamond?

Girl505

Rough_Rock
E63E9D36-02E4-4761-B1E2-D35908E11F03.jpeg 407E52C7-A105-4D5A-86CF-7B283E9D512A.jpeg C7CB34B4-9DCD-4A0D-9D67-97493F050BFA.jpeg 0133B4EA-BDEB-4658-BA5D-231FE4A0482F.jpeg AB2C5F98-6627-4037-8BDB-6CDB60B826DB.jpeg
I have placed a cushion cut diamond on hold and just received the ASET report and idealscope but being a newbie to the world of diamonds, I need help interpreting these. Thoughts and opinions welcome. I’m looking to ultimately get the maximum sparkle in a diamond though I know ASET is typically used to assess brilliance.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ASETscope is used to assess the angles that light is gathered from and returned to the eye, any leakage, and the accuracy of the facet cutting.

The IdealScope is more used to understand leakage and contrast/obstruction.

(As I understand it...)

This link shows how the ASET illustrates where the light is collected from and returned to the eye:
https://ideal-scope.com/using-aset-scopes/

In terms of the diamond above, I am no expert but IMO it is pretty good for a cushion - not too much leakage and a good mix of obstruction/contrast (blue) and light return (green/red), which will create a visually interesting diamond, if I understand it correctly.

Videos are very useful in understanding how a diamond looks when in motion - the IdealScope and ASETscope are (generally) only used in one position, head-on, so the other 179degrees you might view it from need to be assessed using video.

If you have the stone on hold, post the link to it and we can consider the video (assuming it has one).

Girl505

Rough_Rock
The ASETscope is used to assess the angles that light is gathered from and returned to the eye, any leakage, and the accuracy of the facet cutting.

The IdealScope is more used to understand leakage and contrast/obstruction.

(As I understand it...)

This link shows how the ASET illustrates where the light is collected from and returned to the eye:
https://ideal-scope.com/using-aset-scopes/

In terms of the diamond above, I am no expert but IMO it is pretty good for a cushion - not too much leakage and a good mix of obstruction/contrast (blue) and light return (green/red), which will create a visually interesting diamond, if I understand it correctly.

Videos are very useful in understanding how a diamond looks when in motion - the IdealScope and ASETscope are (generally) only used in one position, head-on, so the other 179degrees you might view it from need to be assessed using video.

If you have the stone on hold, post the link to it and we can consider the video (assuming it has one).
I have requested a video from the vendor but this stone was selected in store. I am still waiting to receive the video from them which I should get next week.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent stuff - hopefully it will perform well in the video! :))

As you have a week to kill... if you would be open to other options we could help find alternatives you might like to consider if you would be happy to post your budget and colour/clarity/carat size preferences :)

The Stig

Rough_Rock
E63E9D36-02E4-4761-B1E2-D35908E11F03.jpeg 407E52C7-A105-4D5A-86CF-7B283E9D512A.jpeg C7CB34B4-9DCD-4A0D-9D67-97493F050BFA.jpeg 0133B4EA-BDEB-4658-BA5D-231FE4A0482F.jpeg AB2C5F98-6627-4037-8BDB-6CDB60B826DB.jpeg
I have placed a cushion cut diamond on hold and just received the ASET report and idealscope but being a newbie to the world of diamonds, I need help interpreting these. Thoughts and opinions welcome. I’m looking to ultimately get the maximum sparkle in a diamond though I know ASET is typically used to assess brilliance.

Based on my own search for Cushions, too much light green color which represents less brightness boarderline light leakage, especially in the middle. Keep looking, you can find better

Girl505

Rough_Rock
Excellent stuff - hopefully it will perform well in the video! :))

As you have a week to kill... if you would be open to other options we could help find alternatives you might like to consider if you would be happy to post your budget and colour/clarity/carat size preferences :)

I will say this diamond looked absolutely stunning and I visited multiple shops that day. But store lights can be deceiving. I’m looking for a 2-3 carat Cushion or radiant cut diamond that is eye clean. I’m not too color sensitive and budget is 20-25k. I just want the option to be able to see the diamond in person before purchasing it.

Girl505

Rough_Rock
Based on my own search for Cushions, too much light green color which represents less brightness boarderline light leakage, especially in the middle. Keep looking, you can find better

Hmm that’s interesting. I’m using the same jeweler as you. In person, this diamond looked absolutely amazing. How did you land on the perfect cushion with them? Did you go back and forth multiple times or were you presented with it in your first visit? When I visited, I gave them 3 cuts I was looking for and it seemed that they gave me the best of their selection in each cut but only had one diamond picked out for each type of cut.

The Stig

Rough_Rock
D69A4263-6AE4-416E-86FC-AB3F841DE9C1.jpeg F8AE53EE-EFB5-4A21-ACDA-F0B455151BA9.jpeg 252BE8FB-F5D3-4E21-8C1C-6B36E08CDFD1.jpeg
Hmm that’s interesting. I’m using the same jeweler as you. In person, this diamond looked absolutely amazing. How did you land on the perfect cushion with them? Did you go back and forth multiple times or were you presented with it in your first visit? When I visited, I gave them 3 cuts I was looking for and it seemed that they gave me the best of their selection in each cut but only had one diamond picked out for each type of cut.

That is very interesting. On my first visit they showed me 3 cushions and mixed them up and I picked out the best one which was also Shulamit’s top pick for me. Then she called in another stone from outside, but I still liked the first pick. Then I came back 2 days later and she got another stone and then mixed it up with my top choice and asked me to blindly select the one I thought looked the best. Kept on selectingbthat very first pick, so after reviewing and assessing the scope images I went with that one.

Attached are my scope images. Compare them to yours and note that the green respresents less brightness, red the most, and white for leakage. However, this is not an exact science so yours could very well be stunning in person. Can I make a suggestion, my ring is still at IDJ as they haven’t shipped it out to me yet as they are waiting for my final payment via wire transfer to clear the bank. I suggest you go back to IDJ tomorrow and ask Yekuitel to show you my stone and let you compare with yours under all the light conditions. If you think mine looks significantly better, then ask Yekuitel to find you a comparible stone. Remember he pulls his stones from the same inventory as most of the other Jewellrers have access to, incl James Allan, so if you give him a day or so he can go find the best for you. Ask him to show you 3 cushion stones.

Also, did you watch this video?
https://www.pricescope.com/articles/cushion-cut-diamond-video-guide-good-old-gold/

The Stig

Rough_Rock
I will say this diamond looked absolutely stunning and I visited multiple shops that day. But store lights can be deceiving. I’m looking for a 2-3 carat Cushion or radiant cut diamond that is eye clean. I’m not too color sensitive and budget is 20-25k. I just want the option to be able to see the diamond in person before purchasing it.

You realize you can search for stones on James Allen or other websites using the virtual inventory, and then give the GIA number to IDJ or any other store in the NYC diamond district and they can pull the stone for you to view in person in just a few hours? Most of the inventory is sitting in the New York diamond district. Just saying

Last edited:

Girl505

Rough_Rock
C3E7174B-4B64-4657-AEB6-DED9455E709B.jpeg F4C7B159-5BBF-4D3C-92EC-0E2BC9027B9D.jpeg
D69A4263-6AE4-416E-86FC-AB3F841DE9C1.jpeg F8AE53EE-EFB5-4A21-ACDA-F0B455151BA9.jpeg 252BE8FB-F5D3-4E21-8C1C-6B36E08CDFD1.jpeg

That is very interesting. On my first visit they showed me 3 cushions and mixed them up and I picked out the best one which was also Shulamit’s top pick for me. Then she called in another stone from outside, but I still liked the first pick. Then I came back 2 days later and she got another stone and then mixed it up with my top choice and asked me to blindly select the one I thought looked the best. Kept on selectingbthat very first pick, so after reviewing and assessing the scope images I went with that one.

Attached are my scope images. Compare them to yours and note that the green respresents less brightness, red the most, and white for leakage. However, this is not an exact science so yours could very well be stunning in person. Can I make a suggestion, my ring is still at IDJ as they haven’t shipped it out to me yet as they are waiting for my final payment via wire transfer to clear the bank. I suggest you go back to IDJ tomorrow and ask Yekuitel to show you my stone and let you compare with yours under all the light conditions. If you think mine looks significantly better, then ask Yekuitel to find you a comparible stone. Remember he pulls his stones from the same inventory as most of the other Jewellrers have access to, incl James Allan, so if you give him a day or so he can go find the best for you. Ask him to show you 3 cushion stones.

Also, did you watch this video?
https://www.pricescope.com/articles/cushion-cut-diamond-video-guide-good-old-gold/

I’ll definitely check out that video. How were you able to compare your diamond in all lighting conditions while you were there? I have asked for this, but it seemed they didn’t have anything in office to simulate different kinds of lighting and only had 2 lighting options in office. I have also requested that they provide me a video of the diamond in sunlight if possible as I am out of state. Unfortunately, I can’t go to the store to compare my diamond to yours :(2 would you be kind enough to post pics when you get it? I also read about you getting the setting from them and I’d love to see that too considering I wasn’t sure whether to get it from them or not. For your reference, I have included a pic of the cushion which is on my ring finger.

Girl505

Rough_Rock
You realize you can search for stones on James Allen or other websites using the virtual inventory, and then give the GIA number to IDJ or any other store in the NYC diamond district and they can pull the stone for you to view in person in just a few hours? Most of the inventory is sitting in the New York diamond district. Just saying

No, I didn’t know that though I have heard of vendors pulling diamonds from James Allen on PS. I might ask that they do that the next time I visit as well as ask them to have a few other top choices of cushions for me to select from.

The Stig

Rough_Rock
887191B9-FDAF-4144-B3D1-6D1D22F7152A.jpeg D2E98E7D-B01F-4CB2-B3F6-44412D00F447.jpeg 0D67958D-3A71-4F9B-B52F-B6B71085CA9F.jpeg 1FA04C50-C026-498F-B825-C3BB197E8138.jpeg 192C7565-854D-4D7E-8FA7-66420FB984E9.jpeg 984FB0E4-80EA-4B38-9EEC-4C111D684436.jpeg F759F8E2-E8A2-489A-B3C5-285EFE77428D.jpeg
I’ll definitely check out that video. How were you able to compare your diamond in all lighting conditions while you were there? I have asked for this, but it seemed they didn’t have anything in office to simulate different kinds of lighting and only had 2 lighting options in office. I have also requested that they provide me a video of the diamond in sunlight if possible as I am out of state. Unfortunately, I can’t go to the store to compare my diamond to yours :(2 would you be kind enough to post pics when you get it? I also read about you getting the setting from them and I’d love to see that too considering I wasn’t sure whether to get it from them or not. For your reference, I have included a pic of the cushion which is on my ring finger.

Here are pics I took when I was in the store doing the final inspection.

Girl505

Rough_Rock
Got a video of the cushion cut I have on hold and would be interested in more thoughts or other options if there are better than this such as on James allen.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got a video of the cushion cut I have on hold and would be interested in more thoughts or other options if there are better than this such as on James allen.

Hey,

Sorry you've not had a reply to this yet!

May I ask if you've still got it on hold?

I think it performs pretty well - seems to be active from edge to edge, although that magic store lighting is doing its thing ;-) lol

It looks like there might be a slight bit of 'mush' or leakage around the edges of the table, as compared to the strongly defined central 'cross' of the facets, but it's certainly not unattractive. Is it the same stone as in your original post? If so, that would seem to accord with the ASETscope image.

Are they able to provide a video outside under a cloudy sky or inside under 'flat' lighting with no direct light sources, such as uplighters? That would help remove the pretty but distracting sparkle, and help you assess if it looks white from edge to edge when it's not under deliberately-designed spotlighting :)

Have you checked out August Vintage Inc. and also Gemconcepts if you are looking for cushions? They are designed specifically to have superb light return, so are worth looking at in order to make sure you are buying from a fully informed position :)

coconut67

Rough_Rock
I am in a similar situation where I would appreciate any input.
The diamond looks great in person. I just would like some help analyzing the images. According to the Scanox analysis, the diamond had Excellent brightness, fire, scintillation.

This was one of the better diamonds I had seen that day. As others had posted, I did the same "shuffle up a few and choose the best" diamond thing as well.

Many thanks for any suggestions. 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Last edited:

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would like comment that elongated cushion cut diamonds tend to have more leakage and mushy facets than those with 1:1 ratio (@The Stig 's). I think both @Girl505 and @coconut67 's diamonds are solid and worth considering.

Girl505

Rough_Rock
Just thought I’d follow up to this since the thread got started again. I ended up giving up the cushion cut diamond that was placed on hold. I was hesitant after Stig’s comments suggesting I could do better as well as the fact that IDJ only showed me one cushion cut diamond when I was in their store. I obviously want to get the best possible within my budget and see the stone before committing to making a purchase as large as this. I am planning to go back in April and by then I would be looking to ultimately settle on a diamond.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
$20k-$25k...whatever we find now could be gone by April. Start a new thread asking for help when you get a week or two out from your arrival date.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in a similar situation where I would appreciate any input.
The diamond looks great in person. I just would like some help analyzing the images. According to the Scanox analysis, the diamond had Excellent brightness, fire, scintillation.

This was one of the better diamonds I had seen that day. As others had posted, I did the same "shuffle up a few and choose the best" diamond thing as well.

Many thanks for any suggestions. 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

I mentioned it is worth considering, but it depends on the price.

See this.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...aset-image-is-this-a-well-cut-cushion.224769/
This is a really good one. Notice the even distribution of green and red with minimal white.
But, finding such elongated cushion is not easy.

Girl505

Rough_Rock
$20k-$25k...whatever we find now could be gone by April. Start a new thread asking for help when you get a week or two out from your arrival date.
Yes, that’s the plan. I’ll be asking again in a month.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results