shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing Between Two Diamonds, Need Help!

bwithers17

Rough_Rock
New here, need help deciding which diamond to purchase.... They are the same price. Please let me know your thoughts! The one thing I like with the GIA is the # is laser inscribed, the AGS is not. I am hesitant however, the GIA photo of the middle looks a bit blurry, can anyone comment on that? Let me know which one you pick and why!

Diamond #1: GIA
DIAMOND INFORMATION
SHAPE: Round
CARAT WEIGHT: 1.31
COLOR: J
CLARITY: VS1
CUT: Excellent
POLISH: Excellent
SYMMETRY: Excellent
FLUORESCENCE: None
L/W/D (MM): 7.07*7.05*4.31
MORE DIAMOND INFORMATION
L/W RATIO: 1.00
DEPTH %: 61.10
GIRDLE: Medium
TABLE %: 57.00
CULET: None
CERTIFICATE: GIA
CROWN ∠: 34.50
CROWN %: 14.50
PAVILION ∠: 40.80
MORE DIAMOND INFORMATION
PAVILION %: 43.00

GIA IS.PNG GIA.PNG

Diamond #2: AGS
DIAMOND INFORMATION
SHAPE: Round
CARAT WEIGHT: 1.27
COLOR: I
CLARITY: VVS2
CUT: Ideal
POLISH: Ideal
SYMMETRY: Ideal
FLUORESCENCE: Negligible
L/W/D (MM): 6.94*6.97*4.29
MORE DIAMOND INFORMATION
L/W RATIO: 1.00
DEPTH %: 61.70
GIRDLE: Thin - Medium
TABLE %: 56.30
CULET: Pointed
CERTIFICATE: AGS
CROWN ∠: 34.30
CROWN %: 14.90
PAVILION ∠: 40.80
MORE DIAMOND INFORMATION
PAVILION %: 43.00

AGS IS.PNG AGS.PNG

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both have great proportions, etc. Both have that 34.5/40.8 angle combo which result in lots of fire, and one of my personal favorites.

I prefer the AGS stone as I like the fact it's an AGS000 stone and also it has a slightly smaller table (smaller table = more fire). AGS is the only lab that does a 3D scan to accurately measure the stone and then assign a true (and reliable) cut grade to the stone. The fact it is ideal tells me it is indeed a winner.

Also, being AGS, you should have a computer generated ASET on the bottom of the cert which should provide some additional reassurance.

Assuming price is the same, I also like the fact you are getting an I VVS2 instead of a J VS1. Although in the I/J color range, you can have variance within the color grade, so you might end up with a high, low or medium I/J colored stone where it may appear a little more white or yellow than another I/J stone.

There is no discernible difference in the dimensions of the stone, as only 0.08mm exists. That is less than 1/256th of an inch. It takes about 0.20mm for the human eye to detect a size difference, and then only if placed side by side.

Lastly, to me it appears the GIA stone has skinnier arrows than the AGS stone. I think the AGS stone probably has lower girdle facets (LGF) in the 76-77 range. I'd guess the GIA stone is being reported as 80 LGF (knowing actual values could land in the 78-82 area, and I think this stone is in the 78-79 range). A lower LGF value results in fatter arrows and bigger bolder flashes of light. With higher LGF values you get skinnier arrows and more splintery flashes of light.

bwithers17

Rough_Rock
The GIA LGF is reported at 80%, the AGS is at 78 on the Cert.

Also, here is the AGS light image you speak to. This is my first Diamond purchase (for a ring obliviously) and want to make the correct choice. Would the AGS stone having no number inscribed on the girdle concern anyone here, how else is it identified easily?

AGS Light.PNG

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
An inscription is the easiest way to identify; however, the most accurate way is to compare the clarity plot to the actual stone. Remember stones are graded at the lab using 10x magnification so you need a loupe or scope to do so. And it will probably be easier with a higher powered scope given VVS clarity and inexperience.

Alternatively you can have an appraiser inspect the stone on your behalf. They should do a clarity plot, confirm dimensions, color and clarity. And also give you a valuation you can use for insurance purposes.

Recently James Allen (JA) have had an influx of stones without the inscription. I am not certain why but it annoys some customers as it is an easy way to identify. You could always ask them to have the stone inscribed for you. Worst they can do is say no.

If this is a JA stone, is it also a part of their True Hearts collection? If so, can you share the hearts image?

All this said, the inscription would not deter me from buying the stone as long as the retailer is reputable. However, I think it's good measure on your part to get an appraiser to confirm everything.

bwithers17

Rough_Rock
It is a JA, but it is not part of their True Hearts collection, so I do not have that image.

That is probably the one thing holding me back from the AGS is no inscription, I asked, and they did say no to the inscription. I plan on getting the diamond loose and setting it in person, so they would do a verification at this time, hopefully they would be able to tell me, I have never done this before.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

bwithers17

Rough_Rock
You could call WF and ask for their opinion on how it rates compared to a GIA "J" stone. What end of the J color range does it fall into? Can they
provide a picture of it with a white background? Can they provide a picture of it next to a similar GIA J colored stone?

I can give that a try, yes. What would be your opinion on the above two stones vs. the WF one? Or just on the above two stones, which one would you lean towards?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Assuming price is all on par, I'd take the WF in a heart beat. It's not only an AGS000 stone, but it also has true hearts & arrow (H&A) precision symmetry. Also, it comes with a much better lifetime upgrade policy that allows you full credit of the original stone by trading to a stone of equal or better value. You can't beat that. With JA, you have to spend 2x the amount.

By the way, that 1.203 ACA is rather gorgeous. :love: :love:

I do think it's a good idea to call WF and ask them about how that particular J stone compares to a GIA J and also how it compares to other similar sized and quality of AGS I stones.

Also, you need to keep in mind that the type of setting you choose to set the diamond in will have an effect as well. If you aren't aware, color is graded by looking through the side/body/pavilion portion of the diamond. Therefore, if you buy a setting that covers a lot of the pavilion you will have less opportunity to see the tint. And just the opposite is as true, the more exposed the pavilion the more noticeable the tint.

What most people notice is what we call the face up position. This is where cut starts to do cool stuff besides produce sparkle/fire. Well cut stones actually look larger and brighter/whiter because they properly reflect light in non-optimal positions. Hence, you will often hear that super ideal diamonds (like the WF ACA you are now considering) may look bigger or whiter than it really is.

https://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/diamond-education/the-super-ideal-diamond-1376.htm

Also, I might add that most people cannot see a color difference between 1 color grade of stones. Of course, outliers exist but I like this picture as it does a decent job showing how little variance there is between different color grades.

https://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/diamond-education/the-4-cs-color.htm

diamond-color-side.jpg

Here are a couple more I find interesting as well.

https://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/diamond-education/i-color-diamonds-1392.htm

super-ideal-cut-diamond-color-i.jpg

https://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/diamond-education/j-color-diamond-whiteflashcom-1396.htm

super-ideal-cut-diamond-color-j.jpg

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My last post was growing too long, but my final position was that I think the J color will be okay. Nice thing is if you get it and think there is too much color then you can either return or trade depending what time period you are within.

Plus, the customer service at WF is top notch, and you will be hard pressed to beat it.

Finally I might add that you should consider letting whoever you end up buying the stone from to also set the stone. Both WF and JA have large selections. In the case of WF, if you pick a setting that has melee stones then those too will be super ideal quality too which is a nice touch as you don't want your side stones to detract from the star of the show.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
I like the ACA and the 1.31 JA.
I'm not a fan of the second JA.
Which one to buy? As I didn't check the prices: if upgrading is important, ACA.
If upgrading is not important and price much lower than the ACA, perhaps the JA.
I didn't find the 1.31 JA, so I don't know about the tint, how it compares to others.

bwithers17

Rough_Rock
Actually, Price wise, the ACA is less money.

bwithers17

Rough_Rock
Okay thanks for the advice, will be making a decision soon!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Put them on hold while you think.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Put them on hold while you think.

Yes put on hold. When I did the same, the WF rep made a comment that included “... the way these things fly out of here ...”. lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results