shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help/Advice on 2 Diamonds

Spoolin11

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Like many threads I have flipped through, I have been trying to educated myself on the key characteristics for finding the right diamond online. That said, I thought I had it figured out and made the purchase confidently on Monday through JA (my order is still in process). Since Monday I have continued to do some research to further validate my purchase and stumble across this forum and the good'ol HCA score. Naturally I put the characteristics of the diamond I have (initially) purchased and wasn't too thrilled with the results, HCA of 3 (although based on the pictures it seems to be solid). This led me to trying to find a better diamond which I think I have based on the HCA score but is it really better so now I am torn as to what I should do. Since my order is still in process I think I can call them and make the right adjustments (if warranted).
I would very much appreciate this communities input!

Note that I was not initially looking for a D color stone but since it was within the budget and the flaws are prongable I was good with it.

Current stone - HCA 3
$10,990
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...d-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-4026161

Potential new stone - HCA 0.8
$10,730
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...h-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-4680663
Notes: should I worry about the color or since it has medium fluorescence the H color is not an issue?

Thanks in advance
~Ryan

Reactions: AV_

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I think the experts here can find you much better diamonds than either one of those ... if you ask. Are you committed to JA? For most people, cut is most important, and I think you can do a lot better with less risk ... you have very little info for those choices (no ASET or H&A images).

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The stone you picked is nice, the 58% table kicks it from being within ideal proportions and it does not appear to be "hearts and arrow" cut but its still a lovely diamond. The med flou isn't something most worry about, when its starts getting to be Strong then that MIGHT cause some haziness but in most cases it can help make the stone face up whiter (some find that in direct sunlight the diamonds have a blueish tint when they have flou) Not sure what your budget is but I am guessing around 11k

This would be my pick if you were open to other vendors, it is an I color so I would request they do a video comparison for you next to an H colored diamond to see if it is a low or high I, might get lucky it could be closer to an H color than graded.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3855518.htm

WF vendor but over the 11k
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4045312.htm

These look promising from JA and I would request an ASET on them
Ask if this is eye clean as well
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2219278

This one has a brownish tint which some like over yellow
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-5585693

Over the 11k mark since it is not known what the budget is
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...olor-vvs2-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-5201210
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...color-vs1-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-4836757

Spoolin11

Rough_Rock
Greatly appreciate you taking the time to give me all of those recommendations KKJohnson!
From the sounds of it I need to call JA immediately to put my current ring/diamond order on hold!
And will look into the options provided. Since my bank wire cleared JA I might be easier to stick with them plus I really like the setting.

Yes my budget is $11k.

~Ryan

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

59 table, 61.5 depth, 35.5 crown, 40.8 pavilion & 80 LGF

Love the color. Unfortunately the table combined with the steep crown and moderately steep pavilion is not complimentary and why you are seeing it pull such bad HCA score.

In regards to the fluor, this stone has strong blue. I bought my fiance with medium blue so I am not opposed to fluor necessarily, but her stone was H in color. Normally when buying higher colored stones like D/E/F, fluor is less desired and especially when strong or very strong. Around G and lower, fluor is sometimes sought after depending on the buyer's preference as it can help whiten the stone ever so slightly. Another upside is that stones with fluor typically trade for less money than those with none/faint/negligible levels. The downside is it can make a stone look milky or hazy, although it's a small percentage of that is normally negatively affected.

I personally wouldn't buy this stone, or recommend you buy it either.

Potential new stone - HCA 0.8
$10,730
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...h-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-4680663
Notes: should I worry about the color or since it has medium fluorescence the H color is not an issue?

Thanks in advance
~Ryan

58 table, 60.9 depth, 34 crown, 40.6 pavilion & 80 LGF

On a positive note, most these attributes fall within the recommended ideal proportions range. What I don't like is how they aren't very complimentary. For instance, you normally want to pair a shallow crown of 34 with a steeper pavilion of 40.9. Or vice versa, you can combine a shallow 40.6 pavilion with a steeper crown of 35 for a nice combo.

The table is on the fringe of acceptable. I like to stay 54-57, but some people are okay with 58.

As it stands, the stone will exhibit a lot of white light return so it should be bright. But it won't have as many big bold rainbow flashes. This is caused from the shallow crown, shallow pavilion and those 80 LGF's. Not only will the 80 LGF's make the arrows skinny, but they will perform better in bright environments and will have a splintery type look to them.

If you choose to move forward with this purchase I'd strongly recommend you get an idealscope or ASET image first. It is a better choice than the first stone, but I think we can find you something better.

In regards to the fluor, I think I addressed that in my response above about the D colored stone. With this stone being an H color, medium blue wouldn't bother me personally after I had a confirmation from JA that there was no milky or hazy appearance evident from it.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This would be my pick if you were open to other vendors, it is an I color so I would request they do a video comparison for you next to an H colored diamond to see if it is a low or high I, might get lucky it could be closer to an H color than graded.

57 table, 62.7 depth, 36.5 crown & 40.6 pavilion

I'm not the biggest fan of this stone. It has stuff going on under the table that is picked up in the idealscope and ASET images as evidenced below. Likely from the very steep 36.5 crown (we try to max around 35, maybe 35.5) and also the 62.7 depth. I prefer less than 62 but some will be okay with 62.4 or less.

Idealscope (unedited & edited):

hearts-and-arrows-round-diamond-gia-5182188478-idealscope-129824.jpg

Inkedhearts-and-arrows-round-diamond-gia-5182188478-idealscope-129824_LI.jpg

ASET (unedited and edited):

hearts-and-arrows-round-diamond-gia-5182188478-aset-129821.jpg

Inkedhearts-and-arrows-round-diamond-gia-5182188478-aset-129821_LI.jpg

WF vendor but over the 11k
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4045312.htm

These look promising from JA and I would request an ASET on them
Ask if this is eye clean as well
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2219278

Hello mamasita! Those proportions are sexy as hell....55 table, 62 depth, 34.5 crown & 40.8 pavilion. And 75 LGF's!

My biggest concern is if it's eye clean. Looks to have black crystals on the table.

I'd call JA immediately and ask about it being eye clean. If so, place it on hold and then request an idealscope/ASET image. With the proportions being so perfect it's hard to imagine the images won't come back good but it's a good ask either way. If they can't provide either image (and they confirm the stone is eye clean) I'd be willing to purchase without an image and test at home with my own scopes.

This stone shows as unavailable to me, so I think someone else already bought it. I would warn about getting a stone with a brown tint though. It's a love/hate thing. I personally prefer brown tint over yellow, but if your partner hasn't specifically told you this I wouldn't take the gamble personally.

57 table, 61.3 depth, 35 crown, 40.8 pavilion and 75 LGF

Proportions look pretty good overall. That 35/40.8 combo worries me a little but I've seen it work before. If you were going to buy I'd want an idealscope/ASET before committing.

Since divulging the $11k budget, this are non-contenders and no point in reviewing.

Spoolin11

Rough_Rock
Hey Sledge,

Greatly appreciate you taking the time to give me your opinions and all of that information!!

The reason why the 57 table, 61.3 depth, 35 crown, 40.8 pavilion and 75 LGF is showing as unavailable is because that is the one I switched to. Although after seeing your opinion on the other JA option maybe I should have gone that route. :wall: Although I preferred the overall look of the other one which is why I went that route. In the end I am very grateful for the Communities quick help on this and was able to make adjustments to my order without any real complication!

Would you feel so strongly to switch again knowing that the other JA stone is eye clean? or are we splitting hairs at this point?

Thanks
~Ryan

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If they said the 1.50 is eye clean than that is impressive but I still like the look of the 1.51 that you have already put on hold. @sledge is much better at understanding how the numbers work, I will be interested to see which one he says to go with

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, first stone was bad so I am so happy you were able to stop that in time!:appl:

Please don't go with brown undertone. The only exception to that is when a diamond is going to be set in a rose gold setting. Brown can make a stone look more dull. I have seen it in person and the ones with yellow undertone do not look as dark.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This one above is too risky in terms of clarity.

From the ones listed by others, I like this one the best. I would not agree with Sledge's assessment because it likely is as well cut (or better) as any of the ones that we don't have an ASET image for. A slightly lighter pink in spots is not a problem. Plus Whiteflash has a much better upgrade policy in case you ever wanted to get a larger or higher color/clarity stone.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock

From the ones listed by others, I like this one the best. I would not agree with Sledge's assessment because it likely is as well cut (or better) as any of the ones that we don't have an ASET image for. A slightly lighter pink in spots is not a problem. Plus Whiteflash has a much better upgrade policy in case you ever wanted to get a larger or higher color/clarity stone.

I’m not so sure. Even the actual diamond image looks dark under the table? Is it just me?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It takes a lot of time and experience to judge the images on a computer screen as compared to real life viewing. It should not look dark. The ASET looks good. It does have a slightly greater depth than I would prefer, but this is an acceptable diamond within GIA excellent. It is not superideal like an ACA. I do prefer ACAs. But the OP will have to go smaller to get an ACA or raise the budget.

I'll take a quick look at James Allen to see if I see anything else there.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
It takes a lot of time and experience to judge the images on a computer screen as compared to real life viewing. It should not look dark. The ASET looks good

Yes I can completely understand that. Thank you for addressing my layperson eye concern.:twirl:

Spoolin11

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006 thanks for all your input!! It is appreciated!
The setting I have chosen is Rose Gold.....

While this is all new to me it really amazes me how many completely different opinions there are!

I am certainly familiar with forums as I am a big car guy and enjoy owning a fun weekend car plus being part of those forums! And maybe because I am more familiar with them it’s essier to weed through the good vs the great.

That said, this community has been amazing in such a short period of time and really appreciate all those who have posted!! I know it has helped me and hope it helps others in their journey of finding the best stone within their budget/goal.

~Ryan

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Assuming that JA stone is eye clean, it has amazing proportions that will be a sparkle bomb. That's a big assumption though and needs clarified. It has some black inclusions which makes me think it's probably not. If the proportions weren't so dreamy I'd say move on but it's worth an ask IMO.

Don't take me wrong I dont think the WF stone is hideous. But facts are it has an overly steep crown and is too deep. Those are contributing reasons to the imperfections we are seeing in the images. As you indicated, the imperfections aren't completely dead spots with leakage and the video shows it's a nice stone.

Most likely if this wasn't a WF stone with imaging, videos and great policies it most likely would not have been suggested based on the proportions.

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just noticed a few others that may also be of interest. This stone is in the same size/color range and is also within budget: 1.378ct H VS2

This one is slightly over budget but it looks drop dead gorgeous: 1.402 H VS2

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
I didn't read all the posts but I saw 2 diamonds with graining + fluorescence.
This combo can lead to dullness so please have them checked.

Spoolin11

Rough_Rock
Here is an IdealScope (all I have at the moment) for the 57 / 61.3 / 35 / 40.8 / 75
1.51c H SI1 77828EF4-8D40-4C07-BDCD-473BA98639E2.jpeg

Attachments

• CE8CB3C3-F5CD-4DFE-BE15-6FF4E8C6AB03.jpeg
    CE8CB3C3-F5CD-4DFE-BE15-6FF4E8C6AB03.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 12

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It has obvious light leakage :(2 that’s what the lighter pink ring is

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It has obvious light leakage :(2 that’s what the lighter pink ring is
HCA score is 1.6 so that would indicate the crown and pavilion angles do work together - I would therefore surmise that the lighter areas are because the image is overexposed, going from what I've read on here!

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
HCA score is 1.6 so that would indicate the crown and pavilion angles do work together - I would therefore surmise that the lighter areas are because the image is overexposed, going from what I've read on here!
Lighter areas can be due by GIA rounding or girdle cheating.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lighter areas can be due by GIA rounding or girdle cheating.
Good point! :)

If all of the areas are light, though, it could indicate overexposure??

Spoolin11

Rough_Rock
UPDATE: Ring arrived!

Thought I would share pics of the ring and my initial reactions/thoughts!

I picked up the ring at the local FedEx last night.....it was dark......obviously I was very excited and forgot to set my own expectations, so when I opened it up in my car with interior car lights I was pretty underwhelmed :(

I drove home thinking about whether or not I made the right choice mainly in terms of setting (was it too thin).

Once home I had a chance to look at it in much better light and felt better about it heading to bed. Today, I had even more opportunities to look at it in various lights and feel great about the stone (it does have nice fire, can’t see it in the pics) but still wondering if the setting is underwhelming or maybe a little too thin (1.8mm). I know she will be beyond excited but I want her to be blown away and selfishly I want to be blown away as well. I suppose once I get her reaction and thoughts I could be very excited. It’s reassuring to know that I have the 30 day return policy through JA. I am open to changing any/all of it based on her thoughts/reaction. I suspect she won’t want anything diffent, she is much less high maintenance than I am :lol:

Thanks for all your help PS, I continue to educate myself on a daily basis via the forum and enjoy following everyone else’s threads!

~Ryan

On with the pics! (don’t mind my ugly finger)
Open to your thoughts and opinions!
1B51BC48-D681-4C27-8A04-E7D3DC88A363.jpeg
D4368911-6029-4BFB-B210-B80EE8F6B5B2.jpeg B21BA4B1-86D5-44EF-95E3-E1EDA04BDF45.jpeg D4CB3A51-D1F2-4F4F-B4E3-1024388FAE19.jpeg 5329E293-0EBC-4028-BCBA-B50E47496127.jpeg 24613F26-AA27-4322-9795-D7D8C92A886A.jpeg 173E3110-3A63-48D1-AB4C-D6376ADDA2F3.jpeg

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
UPDATE: Ring arrived!

Thought I would share pics of the ring and my initial reactions/thoughts!

I picked up the ring at the local FedEx last night.....it was dark......obviously I was very excited and forgot to set my own expectations, so when I opened it up in my car with interior car lights I was pretty underwhelmed :(

I drove home thinking about whether or not I made the right choice mainly in terms of setting (was it too thin).

Once home I had a chance to look at it in much better light and felt better about it heading to bed. Today, I had even more opportunities to look at it in various lights and feel great about the stone (it does have nice fire, can’t see it in the pics) but still wondering if the setting is underwhelming or maybe a little too thin (1.8mm). I know she will be beyond excited but I want her to be blown away and selfishly I want to be blown away as well. I suppose once I get her reaction and thoughts I could be very excited. It’s reassuring to know that I have the 30 day return policy through JA. I am open to changing any/all of it based on her thoughts/reaction. I suspect she won’t want anything diffent, she is much less high maintenance than I am :lol:

Thanks for all your help PS, I continue to educate myself on a daily basis via the forum and enjoy following everyone else’s threads!

~Ryan

On with the pics! (don’t mind my ugly finger)
Open to your thoughts and opinions!
1B51BC48-D681-4C27-8A04-E7D3DC88A363.jpeg
D4368911-6029-4BFB-B210-B80EE8F6B5B2.jpeg B21BA4B1-86D5-44EF-95E3-E1EDA04BDF45.jpeg D4CB3A51-D1F2-4F4F-B4E3-1024388FAE19.jpeg 5329E293-0EBC-4028-BCBA-B50E47496127.jpeg 24613F26-AA27-4322-9795-D7D8C92A886A.jpeg 173E3110-3A63-48D1-AB4C-D6376ADDA2F3.jpeg

I think the ring is very pretty!

Diamonds can be a bit funny ... in the wrong light, even an ideal can look dull. It’s really hard to get a good picture, so I can’t tell too much about that.
But I did look at the ASET, and I don’t think that’s a camera or lighting problem ... I think (and I am not an expert), that it looks like light leakage. The ASET Iis more reliable than any HCA score. I guess I wish you had picked something with less leakage, but it will still outshine most of the diamonds out there!
I think she’ll still be blown away :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results