shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Emergency Prong Repair - Boston, MA Area

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey PS family -- need a little help. My fiancee is traveling with your best friend in the Boston, MA area. Looks like one of the prongs is bent backwards and needs readjusted.

When she gets back home I will contact DK and send in for a permanent repair; however, I'd like to find a way to get it temporarily fixed while she's on her trip and neither of us have to worry about more damage or potential loss.

It's a bad pic, but here....

3561.jpeg

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no!!!!!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no!!!!!

Yeah I was a little :confused2: too but I was a cool cat on the phone with her. Assured her all was good and that we had an insurance policy if something crazy would happen but that it would be best to swing by a local jewelry store to see what they could do to at least temporarily fix it until she gets home.

Really hoping someone here knows someone. And that someone can help on a Sunday.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
eeeeekkk! Scary to have happen when out of town! I would strongly suggest she put it somewhere safe until she gets home. It would be super sad to have a sub-par repair, or to lose the gorgeous stone!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DeScenza - Paul and John are the owners. They have a great jeweler and their services are very reasonable.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b you’re a Bostonian, any recommendations?

I'm actually no help at all, since every single bit of jewelry work I have done is out in LA. I'm in LA so often I never need to wait more than a couple of weeks if something needs a repair.

Sorry @sledge! I was wracking my brain when I saw your post!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just btw, @sledge - David and Amy are both in Boston at the moment and we had a get together at my home. If I'd known your fiancee was here, she could have come and met them!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DeScenza - Paul and John are the owners. They have a great jeweler and their services are very reasonable.

You're the bomb, thank you!

Assume these are the guys? Noticed they had two locations. Is one preferred over the other?

https://www.descenza.com

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're the bomb, thank you!

Assume these are the guys? Noticed they had two locations. Is one preferred over the other?

https://www.descenza.com

Yes, the one in Boston on Washington St is my preferred.

Alternatively, Long’s on Summer st also have a great bench and are very quick. Becky is one of the senior consulatants.

Joseph Gann on Washington are also great and super honest. Josh & his brother are the second generation running the shop.

Lux, Bond & Green on Boylston also have a good bench (I believe). I don’t have a personal experience with them, but I have seen some of their work. Steve is one of the sales consultants that I have enjoyed talking to.

In any case, this should be a quick fix. Any of the aforementioned places should be capable of closing the prong ;-)

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just btw, @sledge - David and Amy are both in Boston at the moment and we had a get together at my home. If I'd known your fiancee was here, she could have come and met them!

Wow, how cool. I was telling her about it and she was game. She just arrived this evening.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, the one in Boston on Washington St is my preferred.

Alternatively, Long’s on Summer st also have a great bench and are very quick. Becky is one of the senior consulatants.

Joseph Gann on Washington are also great and super honest. Josh & his brother are the second generation running the shop.

Lux, Bond & Green on Boylston also have a good bench (I believe). I don’t have a personal experience with them, but I have seen some of their work. Steve is one of the sales consultants that I have enjoyed talking to.

In any case, this should be a quick fix. Any of the aforementioned places should be capable of closing the prong ;-)

I'm really blown away. Thank you so much @SimoneDi. I have passed all this to my fiancee. I need to look at some maps and figure out what is closest to her anr also if any are closed on Sundays.

So greatly appreciated.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm really blown away. Thank you so much @SimoneDi. I have passed all this to my fiancee. I need to look at some maps and figure out what is closest to her anr also if any are closed on Sundays.

So greatly appreciated.
Np but I didn’t even think about tomorrow being Sunday..none of them are open tomorrow:( can she store it at the hotel/place where she is staying and not wear it until you can ship it back to DK?

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My fiancee is traveling with your best friend in the Boston, MA area.

Damn, how does she know my best friend? Small world :mrgreen:

Sorry to hear that happened though. I would personally go with @lovedogs' advice: Put it away until she gets home. No use having a repair done by someone outside of your local area. (God forbid) if something goes wrong and they botch the repair, then you're stuck trying to deal with an out of town jeweler for a claim. Just not worth it in my opinion.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Also, this is another great example of why 6-prong heads are much safer then 4-prong heads. If she had pulled a prong that far back on a 4-prong head, there's a pretty good chance that she would've lost the stone. With a 6-prong, there's still enough coverage around the perimeter from the other 5 prongs that the stone was held in place.

6-prong (or bezel) FTW!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If she is closer to the suburbs, she could visit Barmakian in Natick. They have a good bench.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no! If you decide to put it away until you can send it back to DK..I would worry about the diamond rattling around in the setting. See if you can wrap something around it with a rubber band on top so it stays snug in the setting..

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If she is closer to the suburbs, she could visit Barmakian in Natick. They have a good bench.

There's also one in Boston (at least I thought) I used the one in Natick when I lived there. Expensive but decent.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge - update on this pls?

Thank you for checking back in. Sorry I've been slow to respond. Life's been a bit of a blur. She got back mid week and then I got a call Friday AM saying I needed to come home as my grandmother was in bad shape. She and my grandfather raised me so more like mom and dad. We made a rush back home and made it in time to say goodbyes, etc. Cool thing is my fiancee has known my family for years and had a great relationship with my grandmother. Anyhow, the following day she passed with both us by her side and several other family members. Since then been helping with funeral, settling issues, etc.

When in Boston, my fiancee took the liberty to push the prong back in place since the stores were closed that Sunday and she didn't like leaving in the room or wearing it with a snaggletooth prong. She also checked to ensure the diamond was tight and secure.

I looked under the scope when she got home and confirmed it was still secure. The prong is not really holding the diamond as there is a small gap between the stone and prong. We plan on sending back to DK but just haven't sent it via FedEx yet.

Originally I was considering a surprise diamond upgrade when it went back but my plans got changed. We do still need to have the size adjusted and also want DK to make the wedding bands while they have it.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for checking back in. Sorry I've been slow to respond. Life's been a bit of a blur. She got back mid week and then I got a call Friday AM saying I needed to come home as my grandmother was in bad shape. She and my grandfather raised me so more like mom and dad. We made a rush back home and made it in time to say goodbyes, etc. Cool thing is my fiancee has known my family for years and had a great relationship with my grandmother. Anyhow, the following day she passed with both us by her side and several other family members. Since then been helping with funeral, settling issues, etc.

When in Boston, my fiancee took the liberty to push the prong back in place since the stores were closed that Sunday and she didn't like leaving in the room or wearing it with a snaggletooth prong. She also checked to ensure the diamond was tight and secure.

I looked under the scope when she got home and confirmed it was still secure. The prong is not really holding the diamond as there is a small gap between the stone and prong. We plan on sending back to DK but just haven't sent it via FedEx yet.

Originally I was considering a surprise diamond upgrade when it went back but my plans got changed. We do still need to have the size adjusted and also want DK to make the wedding bands while they have it.
I’m so sorry about your grandma..

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear of your loss and wishing you comfort and connections now. Please come back and tell us how you are, soon.
Hugs.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m so sorry for your loss Sledge.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
i'm so sorry about your grandmother, @sledge. :cry2: i was extremely close to my grandparents as well (i was at their house as much as mine in my teenage years, my grandmother was handicapped and i spent a lot of time with her) and even after 16 years i still miss them. (they passed away a week apart) i mourned them all over again it seemed, when i had children. my grandmother would have loved my son's antics and my grandfather would have doted on my daughter. I hope and pray you find comfort in those you love.

I am curious, what has DK said about the prong? Something similar actually happened to a co-worker, she slammed her ring into a metal door and it broke a prong, sending the diamond flying. :eek2: She found it with the help of a few other people thank goodness. She'd had it serviced recently so she knew it was secure, just a freak thing that happened.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge Really very sorry to hear of your grandmother’s passing, and glad you both were able to be there with her.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We plan on sending back to DK but just haven't sent it via FedEx yet.

Is DK sending you a label? We jewelers use supplemental insurance as it is much better coverage than FedEx offers. You probably do not want to find out that your jewelry coverage is only a small amount if you are using the FedEx insurance. DK can send you a label and charge you the fee with better insurance, and normally less than what it will cost you to send it yourself anyway.

Wink

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear about your gramma sledge. I am glad themat you and your fiancée were able to be with her as she crossed over. ((Hugs))

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too am very sorry about the loss of your grandmother. So glad you got to be with her.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Incredibly sorry about the loss of your very special grandmother, @sledge. Sincerest condolences to you and your family. :(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results