shape
carat
color
clarity

My e-ring catches on hand towels

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_0410.JPG My engagement ring is a rainbow moonstone or labradorite set in sterling silver. One of the three prongs seems to catch on hand towels when I dry my hands. This happens all the time and I get really dismayed when I pull the threads and ruin hand towels! Gah! I had a goldsmith take a look some time ago and he tweaked the prongs but it didn't seem to fix the problem. Is it because it's silver? I love this little ring but I hate wearing it if it's going to damage towels haha.

Thoughts? I'll take a close-up later today but IMO there is nothing visually out of place.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The prongs need to be tightened, there really shouldn't be any space between the prong/stone. Silver is also a softer metal, it is a lot more likely for the prongs to start moving with wear vs. gold per se. You might also want to consider only wearing the ring outside and not at home.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The prongs need to be tightened, there really shouldn't be any space between the prong/stone. Silver is also a softer metal, it is a lot more likely for the prongs to start moving with wear vs. gold per se. You might also want to consider only wearing the ring outside and not at home.

I was afraid of that, but I think you're right! The silver probably loosens every time I accidentally bash my ring.

I've considered having the setting remade in platinum and then the stone re-set, but it's such a soft stone that there doesn't seem to be much point. Oh well. Time for an upgrade!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was afraid of that, but I think you're right! The silver probably loosens every time I accidentally bash my ring.

I've considered having the setting remade in platinum and then the stone re-set, but it's such a soft stone that there doesn't seem to be much point. Oh well. Time for an upgrade!
I probably wouldn't touch it, just try to avoid it when doing house chores.
And upgrades are always fun!

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I probably wouldn't touch it, just try to avoid it when doing house chores.
And upgrades are always fun!

Since your ering has sentimental value, you are right not to unmount the moonstone and remount since it is a softer gem. What upgrade do you have in mind? Let's see what we can find for you.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_0103.JPG IMG_0112.JPG IMG_0114.JPG IMG_0115.PNG
Since your ering has sentimental value, you are right not to unmount the moonstone and remount since it is a softer gem. What upgrade do you have in mind? Let's see what we can find for you.

Oh you are sweet! This is the style I am dreaming of... maybe I should make a new thread? :) I have $2500CAD saved up and I'm extremely partial towards platinum. I need the ring to be close to size 5.5.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results