shape
carat
color
clarity

My Life Changes Tomorrow...

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I may have hinted at this in a few other threads, but Saturday is a life changing event for me.

Me and my fiancee will become legal guardians to a 14 year old girl. For now we will call her J. After we are married, our plan is to legally adopt her. This wasn't something we were seeking out to do. My fiancee specializes in family & children trauma so has resources & knowledge with these types of situations.

While we were visiting Houston a few weekends ago, my fiancee got a call asking for help in finding J a new home. We know J and her 2 siblings and our hearts were broken to hear of the news as these are all good kids. While we were not asked to intervene in the situation, but rather just provide some resources, we talked it over and decided that we would like to help J if she was open to the idea. The other 2 siblings have permanent homes and will not be joining us.

We had some conversations with J and her temporary guardians and everyone is agreeable to the situation. Since this is not a foster situation there appears to be less red tape, although we are seeking legal counsel to ensure things are up to snuff.

With that said, we head out tomorrow for a Christmas cabin vacation and on our way out we pick up J. I'm super excited, nervous and scared all at the same time. I can only imagine she must be feeling the same, or worse. :confused2:

Never done this so wish me luck.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow! bless you both for opening up your home & lives to this young lady. wishing the 3 of you all the best as you adjust to a new reality.

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
WOW!!:geek2: What a beautiful blessing for both her and yourselves! What's even more amazing that it is taking place at this very special time of the year as well. :kiss2: Thanks for sharing this with us. It is so nice to see that there are so many loving caring people still left in this harsh cruel world! I commend you both on this wonderful decision and the blessing that will come along with it! :clap: The best "Christmas Present" you'll never forget!!:saint: Wishing you the very best!=)2

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You've already given her the best gift she could have -- a permanent home. You and your fiancee are already aware of the potential challenges to raising an at-risk child and a teenager to boot. Best of luck to all 3 of you. I hope your hearts and your home are filled with laughter, love, and precious memories.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
That's wonderful of you guys! I wish you all the luck in the world!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow - congratulations! I am sure J is nervous and excited too but since this really seems to be something the three of you want, I am sure it will be a great experience for you all. As with all children, they are a huge undertaking but so worth the effort. Have a wonderful time at the cabin - good vibes coming your way for even more good bonding time!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What wonderful, wonderful news. In our extended family, we have had both foster children and adopted children. Each one has been a blessing, whether for the short or long term. Wishing you all a happy, happy life together.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that’s a huge and very generous step to take. Good on you both for being warm-hearted and open to this challenge.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very exciting! We had a friend who cared for a teenager during her high school years. I think it was an official foster situation. They met her when she was 15. She is grown and married now with a family of her own—and she is still very much part of their family. Enjoy this special time on a wild ride! :appl:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful news, what exciting adventures lie ahead for you all.
Yes J will be nervous and excited and probably unsure but give it time and love and smiles and encouraging words and it will be fine.
Don’t be alarmed if she goes quiet and seems withdrawn, she has a lot of new stuff to process and she will definitely feel out of place until she finds her feet. Wishing your new family every happiness and success.
And a new trainee PSer :appl:

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow this is most excellent news, you can and will make a difference in her life!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness! What outstanding human beings you and your fiancé are sledge. The world needs more like you. J is blessed to have crossed paths with both of you! Blessings out going to all of you, Merry Christmas!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
WOW
Yes your life will be changing.
May it be filled with happiness!

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I knew from the beginning that you have the most precious diamond in the world- BIG HEART. Raising a child is the most challenging thing i have ever done:tons of patience , love ,kindness, when you heart bursts from happiness and at the same time ,they break your heart like nobody else. Children definitely made me a better person. Enjoy your new adventure to parenthood :)) ❤️

Mcgregor

Shiny_Rock
How very generous of you and your fiancé. J is very fortunate and I am sure that you will discover that you receive more than you give. Bless you!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you and your fiancée for opening your home and hearts. I wish you a all three of you much joy and happiness!!

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@sledge, wishing you, your fiancée and J the very best as the three of you start off on the new journey ahead. Godspeed!

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Sledge, what a wonderful thing you and your fiancé are doing for this young lady and for yourselves! Wishing you all the best of luck in forging a happy family together. I’m sure there will be ups and downs, and a learning curve for all three of you, but I hope the joys and blessing outweigh everything else.

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Best wishes for the new exciting journey you will all be embarking on.
Every child deserves a loving, safe home and you are all truly blessed to have found each other.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge. how wonderful! Sending you and your family best wishes and hugs for giving this child a warm loving home. What a perfect holiday you all will enjoy.
(((Hugs))).

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, and have a WONDERFUL first family xmas!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Never done this so wish me luck.
Well, I don't personally believe in luck, but I do believe in prayer. And I've said a prayer this morning that God has placed this girl in the right hands, and that He guide you two in how to treat her and raise her. I don't mean you would possibly mistreat her, it's just that you don't know exactly what you are getting, she has been through a lot. So I just pray for wisdom in this situation.

It's a wonderful thing you are doing. God bless you! :appl:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well, I don't personally believe in luck, but I do believe in prayer. And I've said a prayer this morning that God has placed this girl in the right hands, and that He guide you two in how to treat her and raise her. I don't mean you would possibly mistreat her, it's just that you don't know exactly what you are getting, she has been through a lot. So I just pray for wisdom in this situation.

Prayers outgoing from me and my wifey also.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Exactly this. Wishing you all the best, you and your F are doing a wonderful thing in providing a stable home for this girl.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is absolutely awesome! I think it takes a very special kind of person to be willing to make the leap into parent in a situation such as this. I hope the transition for all of you is smooth :)

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe in karma, I believe in good vibrations, caring, loving and sharing and all this is being done by you and your fiancee. Your life will be full of changes now! I send you loving vibes and dust for your daughter that her life continues on this loving path. It's meant to be.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your announcement made my day that much better! Best wishes to you and your suddenly larger family!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This has really warmed my heart. It takes a strong couple to open their home to somebody else’s children, especially a teen rather than that tiny baby most people crave. This is going to be an amazing journey for you guys!

I am sure that J will enrich your lives in ways you never thought possible ❤️

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results