shape
carat
color
clarity

My CAD from WF....why am I not totally thrilled?

pinklemonadegurl

Shiny_Rock
20190316_192536.jpg 20190218_203516.jpg

Email says "the design will appear a little sharp in theme edges and bulkier than the finished product. During the polishing and finishing processes, the metal casting will bevrefined into a more delicate finish." I realize prongs will be shorted. My ???? Do i think it's too plain ( no side stones)...maybe. Do I think the width(supposed to be 2mm) is too wide...maybe. Do I think the double claw prongs rendered on the side, not top, appear too bulky....maybe....UGH....i just don't know. FF and I went shopping today. Went into Tiffanys to snoop. He loved the Tiffany classic 6 prong with a diamond wedding band as well as another setting with side stones. I HATE to hold up production of my ring but I'm just not sure. Any thoughts??? Stone is 2.53 rb

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
My original engagement ring design had double prongs too, but less metal on the head than your CAD. I like double prongs, however, when I redesigned my engagement ring I went with a softer less metal look and love it too. I see your CAD is a cathedral setting and there is metal a dome on the side profile of the ring. This means if your wedding band is straight it won’t sit flush and you will have a gap. Will that bother you? Also, another option is a curved wedding band. Personally, I like to stack bands with my engagement ring so I would change that and make it flat and get rid of the bar between the prongs. Just my opinion.

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
I love that design ! WF will make it work for you no matter what. I'm sure you will love it!!!!

pinklemonadegurl

Shiny_Rock
@Morenita21 It seems 'metal heavy' on top, I dunno. I love the design, too @tigertales and hopie I can figure out what is bothering me about the design. Thank you both for your input! FF is so anxious to get this ring onto my finger-he wants me to have what I want but NOW lol

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
@Morenita21 It seems 'metal heavy' on top, I dunno. I love the design, too @tigertales and hopie I can figure out what is bothering me about the design. Thank you both for your input! FF is so anxious to get this ring onto my finger-he wants me to have what I want but NOW lol

And don't worry, I find CADs to be maddeningly "cold" I guess....so hard to get a feel for the real thing, right?

oh, also, if you really want a six prong, can they make that change? I have one similar, would you like to see it?

pinklemonadegurl

Shiny_Rock
Sure @tigertales, please share.... I hate to give up the claw prongs as it was one of the things that really attracted me to the VC design....sigh....

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
Cool.I'll post it tomorrow for you.it will be in my avatar.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you rather have 6 prongs a la the Tiffany? I think 6 prongs look so flowy and make your center stone look more round.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the prongs are very straight -- it this what you wanted?

You could retain the double claws, but add some curves with some added details like the Erika Winters Lena - easy to modify for double claws. This has some of the curves of the Tiffany 6-prong, so maybe a good blend between the two.

upload_2019-3-17_7-24-29.png
upload_2019-3-17_7-24-48.png
upload_2019-3-17_7-26-27.png

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
It looks like there's a taper from the side view but not a taper from the top view. Would a little bit of a taper help make it slightly less... Blocky? I quite like the bulkiness but I do think a tiny taper would help. You have a big stone and 2mm is really very thin, I think it will look much more delicate in person.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like there's a taper from the side view but not a taper from the top view. Would a little bit of a taper help make it slightly less... Blocky? I quite like the bulkiness but I do think a tiny taper would help. You have a big stone and 2mm is really very thin, I think it will look much more delicate in person.

I noticed that too. From the side, it looks like it tapers to a narrow point. But the top down view it does not appear to taper and looks sort of block-y and flat. The VC doesn't appear to taper to a narrow point, BUT the shank looks more rounded and flowy.

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am not a CAD expert, so I can't really help you there, but just in case you decide to go a different route, I am actually selling my VC cathedral solitaire with scalloped basket setting (the original!). It is beautifully hand forged but was designed for a slightly larger stone, so I would need to know the mm of your stone in order to be sure that it would work. That said, I am sure that WF can make the modifications that you are looking for as well. I hope everything works out for you!

pinklemonadegurl

Shiny_Rock
@carbonfan I will find the mm and forward to you. A busy day....

I will be back....this is sitting in my stomach like a brick. Just want to decide and move forward, but be 100% certain.

Thanks all. You're all so very helpful and kind. What a great community :)

pinklemonadegurl

Shiny_Rock
@carbonfan The stone is 8.79 by 8.77 by 5.39 mm I do not know how to message here, so please contact me if this may work....

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
7F84E575-E747-49CC-B1D3-AD916158F15B.jpeg 1C729823-8875-45AE-B7F4-31CF6059140F.jpeg A7EEF10A-E3B5-48AF-AE5A-D1958291032D.jpeg I have a very similar design from WF. Your head on cad does not show the taper you will see in the final design. The VC inspiration ring does not have a taper. I’ve attached a photo of what the taper looks like. Do you want a taper or do you want to replicate the VC exactly?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
7F84E575-E747-49CC-B1D3-AD916158F15B.jpeg 1C729823-8875-45AE-B7F4-31CF6059140F.jpeg A7EEF10A-E3B5-48AF-AE5A-D1958291032D.jpeg I have a very similar design from WF. Your head on cad does not show the taper you will see in the final design. The VC inspiration ring does not have a taper. I’ve attached a photo of what the taper looks like. Do you want a taper or do you want to replicate the VC exactly?
Very pretty!

diamondsareagirls

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What about just getting the Vatche U113 from WF if you loved the Tiffany? It's practically identical.

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
These CAD pictures are a rough sketch, it is possible to "render" these pictures and get close to reality pictures, we do it all the time

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do think the finished ring will be more refined but. . . you need to decide if you want the diamond to look round like the Tiffany solitaire or a bit squared off with four double prongs. If you both want it to look round, I would suggest just getting a six prong solitaire now. Just some food for thought!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@carbonfan The stone is 8.79 by 8.77 by 5.39 mm I do not know how to message here, so please contact me if this may work....
I checked with Victor, and he thinks that my setting is probably slightly too large for your stone. Technically it could work, but he said that the basket would be slightly visible from the top down view. Hopefully things are starting to smooth out with your CAD, but if you decide to go back to the drawing board I would recommend that you contact Victor to make the setting for you. His craftsmanship is immaculate and his creations are stunningly gorgeous!!

pinklemonadegurl

Shiny_Rock
Thank you @carbonfan . I've asked WF to create another CAD with side stones. I'm feeling so fickle! Leon ( and Vera) at WF have been exceptionally helpful and patient. Thank you for checking on your setting. When I get a larger stone, I'll let you know:twisted2:

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you @carbonfan . I've asked WF to create another CAD with side stones. I'm feeling so fickle! Leon ( and Vera) at WF have been exceptionally helpful and patient. Thank you for checking on your setting. When I get a larger stone, I'll let you know:twisted2:
Sounds good! I hope the new CAD from WF works out from you... Vera truly is amazing!! And if you end up with a slightly larger stone at some point, I have the perfect setting for you! ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results