shape
carat
color
clarity

My Bizarre Diamond help please

Bambamsmam

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I am new here and looking for some help placing my diamond. Basically I have been to every jewellers in the nearest 3 towns recently with a diamond ring which my partner presented to me. He said he bought it as it was sold to him as a rare diamond colour and it has certificate from IGL as well.. but I am getting no where. Today I met with a gemologist who was mesmerised by the diamonds origionality and she stated in all her 34 years working with jewels and diamonds she has never seen one like it!

Basically, it looks like a diamond however its colour is slightly more greyed, it is described as 'fancy natural silver' but the bizarre bit is that it has a rainbow of colours within the diamond, it contains the red and pink and blue and green etc which are colours of regular fancy stones but just as elements within the stone if that makes sense, its the best way I can describe it! She said she was confident it hasnt been heat treated and it is all natural but just most unusual diamond she has ever seen and had everyone in the shop in for a look through her glass!

My point is, I still have no idea about it, I dont know what it is worth, what has caused the colours, is there many more like it etc.. I love it and its individuality but I would love to know more!

I have tried to take some photos but they are hopeless just catching gimmers here and there as without magnification (have one on order though!) IMG_20181217_171721.jpg

I hope someone can give me a little info that would be greatly appreciated!

Regards
Nat IMG_20181217_171738.jpg IMG_20181217_171701.jpg IMG_20181217_171946.jpg IMG_20181217_172012.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Interesting.
I cant really tell anything from the pictures I wonder is the color is caused by a lot of internal graining.
That would explain what you are seeing.

Bambamsmam

Rough_Rock
It is hars to see but she basically said it was like a rainbow of colpur inside of the stone and she absolutely loved it but is hard to make out off pictures! It is round brillian cut SI1 and 'Natural Fancy Silver' (which I cant find anything about anywhere! Totaly baffling me and the less I know the more fascinated I am o_O:lol:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post a picture of the report?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Strange but awesome! I would love to see it in person and put it under a high power microscope and see what was going on inside it.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could you post the report, please?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably not it but I'm going to link this info anyway...look under Detection of Clarity Enhancements.

https://www.imagesjewelers.com/clarity-enhanced-diamonds/

Fracture filled diamonds may often appear flawless when viewed from the top. However, they exhibit a streak of colored light known as the flash effect. The flash effect appears as a vivid flash of color at the location of the clarity enhancement which disrupts the facet pattern within the stone. It is best to view this color flash while the stone is loose as mounted stones may hide the effect.

Edit - so I just saw that it is Clarity Enhanced. So the explanation above is probably what you are seeing.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should read up on fracture filled stones so that you know how they should be taken care of. ALso, when you take it to a jeweler to have
any work performed on it you need to let them know so they do not do anything that affects the fracture filling.

Bambamsmam

Rough_Rock
Ooh that was an interesting read and cant be ruled out but the gemologist who I spoke with today did look for signs of the above and could not see anything, it was something she immediately suspected before inspection...

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Probably not it but I'm going to link this info anyway...look under Detection of Clarity Enhancements.

https://www.imagesjewelers.com/clarity-enhanced-diamonds/

Fracture filled diamonds may often appear flawless when viewed from the top. However, they exhibit a streak of colored light known as the flash effect. The flash effect appears as a vivid flash of color at the location of the clarity enhancement which disrupts the facet pattern within the stone. It is best to view this color flash while the stone is loose as mounted stones may hide the effect.

Edit - so I just saw that it is Clarity Enhanced. So the explanation above is probably what you are seeing.

Damn, you beat me to it. I was just writing a post on this. :mrgreen:

Well anyway @Bambamsmam, @tyty333 hit the nail on the head. This is most likely a drilled and fracture-filled diamond, as the report says clarity-enhanced. Drilling means exactly what it sounds like, they drill small holes with a laser into the diamond to remove nasty inclusions (usually large black carbon crystals). They then fill these holes, and other fractures (large feathers) that may be within the diamond with bismuth-infused glass to improve the clarity of the stone.

Glass (quartz) has a different refractive index (1.55ish) than diamond (2.42). This means that, when light enters the a clarity-enhanced diamond, it will disperse differently when it passes through the glass-filled areas than when it passes through the actual diamond material itself. This dispersive pattern can make it appear as a rainbow of light within the stone at the areas that are fracture filled.

Did you take the certificate to the gemologist that looked at it? Because I'm sorry, but any gemologist worth their salt would've been able to tell you what was causing this effect if they knew the diamond was clarity-enhanced. And if she's been working in the business for 34 years without seeing a fracture-filled diamond, then well, I guess she's only been dealing with GIA and AGS-certed stones her entire life. ;-)

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
Hi all, I am new here and looking for some help placing my diamond. Basically I have been to every jewellers in the nearest 3 towns recently with a diamond ring which my partner presented to me. He said he bought it as it was sold to him as a rare diamond colour and it has certificate from IGL as well.. but I am getting no where.

I do hope he did not pay for a premium for a "rare diamond colour ".......

Bambamsmam

Rough_Rock
Also it states

'Laboratories will not provide a clarity grade as the enhancement is not a permanent treatment and the appearance may worsen over time'

And I definitely have a grading od SI1?

Bambamsmam

Rough_Rock
Oooh it does sound like it could be this and i think the fancy silver but may have increased the price over d-z colour yes oh dear lol! I dont know the lady from adam to be fair she seemed to know what she was talking about though (more than me hehe) she definitely seemed to think it was colour within the stone rather than light reflection though.. but i would not have a clue personally x

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh that was an interesting read and cant be ruled out but the gemologist who I spoke with today did look for signs of the above and could not see anything, it was something she immediately suspected before inspection...
It's on the report... Usually this takes precedence over a casual observation by a jeweler...

@TreeScientist is spot on.

Can you still return the diamond?

Bambamsmam

Rough_Rock
Also, how much did your partner pay for this diamond? And are you still within the return period? Just want to make sure he didn't get the fleece pulled over his eyes with a sales pitch of this being a "rare" diamond...
He didnt give me a number but said it was over £1000 for the diamond alone... The certificate estimates value in dollars at $1814 so i dont know if he did good or bad hahah

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Also it states

'Laboratories will not provide a clarity grade as the enhancement is not a permanent treatment and the appearance may worsen over time'

And I definitely have a grading od SI1?

This statement should read "' Reputable laboratories will not provide a clarity grade as the enhancement is not a permanent treatment and the appearance may worsen over time'

Reputable labs, like GIA and AGS, will not assign a clarity grade to clarity-enhanced diamonds.

IGL is not a reputable lab. The certificate is not even worth the paper it is printed on...

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
Okay I reread the report from the "lab".....there is also NO colour grade other than a made up colour. The stone has been treated to a point to which it won't even register on the colour grade, not even on fancy colour grade.

Also CUT grade is stated as very good but yet in comments it says IDEAL....

https://www.diamondtraces.com/education-guide/Enhanced_Diamonds_Value.html

Last edited:

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Well, even if he did get a bit ripped-off, at least it was not THAT bad. I was really scared with all of this talk of it being a "rare diamond color" that you were going to post "Oh, he only paid $5000." Now that would've been a disaster.

But still, definitely check and see if you can return it. Clarity-enhanced diamonds have long-term durability issues that makes them not the best choice for an E-ring. :)

Bambamsmam

Rough_Rock
What does that mean in layman's terms lol x

Bambamsmam

Rough_Rock
TLDR Layman's terms:
  • The diamond is not rare. It is treated and will thus have durability issues. It is not worth £1000.
  • Return it if possible.
  • I'm glad he didn't pay $5000 :mrgreen:
Omg i meant that in reply to Matilda's post hahah! Im simple but not THAT simple haha

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
To quote a diamond dealer friend...
UY VEY!!!!

What will they think of next?
There's no way to glean any info from the pics....but the people telling the things they are telling you sounds.....a bit off.
The stone is "Clarity Enhanced" which explains all the weird rainbow effects you're seeing.
Enhancement also accounts for a steely gray appearance. Silver??? I love it. ( it's kind of novel and funny)
Calling it an "Ideal Cut"????
Holy mackerel.
IGL is not a respected lab.

An appraiser charging money for services should really know all this stuff.

The fact they've never seen anything like it says volumes about how much exposure to diamonds they actually have. ( not in a good way)

I'm sorry- but nothing here sounds good if we're talking about an honest, educated discussion about diamonds.
That's what I would hope to see happening when stores show diamonds to consumers.....or appraisers discuss them.

I don't mean to imply anything bad about the diamond you own- rather the information you've been getting......

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Omg i meant that in reply to Matilda's post hahah! Im simple but not THAT simple haha

Yes, I was explaining her post too. She was saying that the color grade is meaningless. It is made up by this lab. And the "cut" grade in this case is also completely meaningless, because it is not well cut.

So in summary, it is not rare. I was just trying to sum it all up in 3 bullets. :)

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
To quote a diamond dealer friend...
UY VEY!!!!

What will they think of next?
There's no way to glean any info from the pics....but the people telling the things they are telling you sounds.....a bit off.
The stone is "Clarity Enhanced" which explains all the weird rainbow effects you're seeing.
Enhancement also accounts for a steely gray appearance. Silver??? I love it. ( it's kind of novel and funny)
Calling it an "Ideal Cut"????
Holy mackerel.
IGL is not a respected lab.

An appraiser charging money for services should really know all this stuff.

The fact they've never seen anything like it says volumes about how much exposure to diamonds they actually have. ( not in a good way)

I'm sorry- but nothing here sounds good if we're talking about an honest, educated discussion about diamonds.
That's what I would hope to see happening when stores show diamonds to consumers.....or appraisers discuss them.

I don't mean to imply anything bad about the diamond you own- rather the information you've been getting......

And once again, @Rockdiamond with a great piece of perspective. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results