shape
carat
color
clarity

My 1st Time: Old European Diamond Advice!

Khall0204

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

I'm in the process of searching for that special piece of jewelry for my significant other, which is incredibly exciting and even more stress inducing, and I've been browsing the forum for a while looking for suggestions, help, etc. I'm so incredibly happy I found this community, as I honestly feel like I'm not in this alone anymore!

Anyways, my SO fell in love with the Ring Concierge's (RC) Signature Antique setting some time ago, and I honestly feel that the setting combined with an OEC diamond matches her personality and style so unbelievably well. I've tried to reach out to RC, but have yet to hear back, so I'm thinking about focusing my efforts now on sourcing my own diamond and then having it placed in her setting (pictured below).

bridal-engagement-rings-the-signature-antique-engagement-ring-27667615637_1024x.jpg

Here is a diamond that has caught my eye from Jewels by Grace, and I wanted to get your take on it as I'm still learning more each day about what makes the diamond a "good" deal.

2.20ct Old European Cut Diamond:
- AGS Certified
- N
- SI2
- $9,950.00

I understand the color and clarity isn't as high, and there are some imperfections, but overall, I find it stunning based on the photos. I'm willing to sacrifice some of those attributes for size, but I would love any and all opinions. Thank you all!

i-4jc9svk-O.jpg i-xxk73z3-O.jpg i-SZCgSmG-O.jpg Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 10.41.16 AM.png

Last edited:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There’s something mesmerising about OECs. I have an L colour, which I feel faces up pretty white, so an N will be vanilla rather than stark white, which I think is part of their charm.

Have you looked at Old World Diamonds inventory in NY? They have a huge selection, so might be worth a look, if only for comparison purposes.

Khall0204

Rough_Rock
There’s something mesmerising about OECs. I have an L colour, which I feel faces up pretty white, so an N will be vanilla rather than stark white, which I think is part of their charm.

Have you looked at Old World Diamonds inventory in NY? They have a huge selection, so might be worth a look, if only for comparison purposes.

I have been browsing their selection, but haven't directly reached out to them for guidance. I almost feel a bit overwhelmed when I look over their inventory because they have so many offerings! Would you say the pictures of the OEC I attached are a good representation of its color? I'd prefer to give her something that's contains more of a white face as opposed to Vanilla - but I feel that the photos of this diamond show off a great white face and a beautiful sparkle. Like I said, I'm still new though, so if my opinion is a bit off, please don't hesitate to tell me.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adam at OWD is very friendly and helpful, so if you did reach out to him, I’m sure he’ll be able to help you. OECs in bright sunshine do look pretty white, but I’d be misleading you if I said an N will be really white, (of course there could be exceptions) and I’m certainly not knocking the stone you’ve posted or JBG. I can see the inclusions, but of course it’s really magnified in the photo.

Like most things, you really need to see the stones in person so you can decide whether or not the colour is ok for you.

This is my L in daylight, but inside it does appear vanilla, and quite different to my H colour marquise.

F30BEC57-2821-4BD1-8758-49881B907313.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone you are considering looks great, but I agree you should reach out to OWD directly. I've heard nothing but amazing stuff about his customer service, so I think you should at least ask him for recommendations. As said above, if nothing more than to compare offerings.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OWD has more inventory than is listed on his site so I second the suggestion of asking Adam what he has within your budget. I also greatly prefer Adam’s return policy to JBG as last time I checked her’s is only 3 days. I have bought a stone and not been able to make up my mind in 3 days because of the weather (seeing it in sunny and overcast situations), not enough time to get a second opinion, or just I needed more time. That said, I really like the facet pattern of the one at JBG at so it is tempting.
Also, Adam could give you a quote to make an inspired by version of the setting you like. It’s concerning to me RC hasn’t responded to you at all.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! Pretty stone and ring choice!
If you aren't lucky enough to have any in person viewing opportunities of old cut diamonds in a range of colors-
I suggest taking advantage of the vendors return policy to view a couple yourself in multiple environments.
I just did this.
You go in to it knowing you'll be out the shipping back and forth, but that's much cheaper than later on realizing you've made a mistake. Not a mistake, just an uninformed decision!
You don't know if that N color is what you/your SO is looking for until you see in person.
I also suggest calling Adam/OWD. Just tell him your wants and where you'll sacrifice, he'll pick some great choices for you.
If you ever plan on upgrading, make sure you research each vendors policy - it may matter to you, it may not.

Khall0204

Rough_Rock
Thanks, everyone! Really appreciate the help thus far. I've sent a note in to OWD, and explained my situation, and gave them my budget. Rfisher - I agree. I'm going to have to take advantage of the vendor's return policy, as NY is about 9 hours away from me.

I live in NC, so I'll also see if there are any vendors in the area I may be able to also look at diamonds / colors, etc. My SO is also relying on me to make the decision, as she trusts my style / opinion, and would love to receive something that I picked out. She'd honestly be happy with a ring pop, that's just the kind of girl she is.

I've also asked Adam this, but if he were to take on the setting creation as well, would it be exactly like the one at RC, or would he just use it as "inspiration?"

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Find the original antique ring photo that RC's Signature Antique was styled from. Or copied from, I can't remember which.
Share that original ring with OWD for inspiration.

That's what I would do.

Khall0204

Rough_Rock
Just got off of the phone with Adam. I can already tell his customer service is incredible. Literally, after sending him an email, he responded in 2 minutes. Then we hopped on the phone and chatted.

Wouldn't you know it, as soon as I got off the phone with him, RC responded to my note. So I'll listen to what both of them have to say, and check their offerings, and hope to make a decision from there! Thanks for the recommendation to chat with Adam!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Adam's bench makes really nice settings and I think the cost is reasonable- they do a really nice job.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OWD has more inventory than is listed on his site so I second the suggestion of asking Adam what he has within your budget. I also greatly prefer Adam’s return policy to JBG as last time I checked her’s is only 3 days. I have bought a stone and not been able to make up my mind in 3 days because of the weather (seeing it in sunny and overcast situations), not enough time to get a second opinion, or just I needed more time. That said, I really like the facet pattern of the one at JBG at so it is tempting.
Also, Adam could give you a quote to make an inspired by version of the setting you like. It’s concerning to me RC hasn’t responded to you at all.
Really good point about length of return policy. If I am seeing an OEC IRL, 3 days is not enough for me to get to know the stone.

Jelly88

Rough_Rock
I LOVE RC’s signature antique setting! But I would be a little turned off by having to wait a long time to get a response. Also do you know what her return/upgrade policy is just in case?

Khall0204

Rough_Rock
I LOVE RC’s signature antique setting! But I would be a little turned off by having to wait a long time to get a response. Also do you know what her return/upgrade policy is just in case?

Agreed. I'm wondering what Adam may be able to come up with once we select a diamond. I'm working with very little input from my girlfriend as to what she'd like to see, so I'm not sure what I'd have him alter / change. All I know is she's crazy about the signature antique setting...

As for the RC return policy, it looks like you have 14 days to decide? I'm sot sure about her upgrade policy.

Jelly88

Rough_Rock
Are you also working with very little input on the stone as well? I think if that’s the case, you should definitely confirm what the return/upgrade policy is with each vendor. She will probably love the ring (what you’re looking for sounds gorgeous to me), but just in case she wants to change something (i.e. if she turns out to be more color sensitive, if she would prefer a larger carat but lower color) it’s good to know that you have that option.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've worked with Grace for several major purchased. She's a pleasure to work with and has a great eye. I've not worked with Adam.

The diamond you've picked is lovely. I recommend seeing it in person if you are considering it. The three day trial period is a great way to review your choices.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Agreed. I'm wondering what Adam may be able to come up with once we select a diamond. I'm working with very little input from my girlfriend as to what she'd like to see, so I'm not sure what I'd have him alter / change. All I know is she's crazy about the signature antique setting...

As for the RC return policy, it looks like you have 14 days to decide? I'm sot sure about her upgrade policy.

Adam is very flexible with viewing stones and returns, so that would be the least of my concerns. He has a great eye and is absolutely trustworthy- you are in great hands!

I have had Adam's bench set all of the stones I've bought from him (including him sourcing and restoring a beautiful antique setting). They are great quality, extremely fast and very fairly priced. I would definitely consider using them. They will send you CAD's developing an "inspired by" setting based on the antique RC ring. We can help you refine the CADs.

The lack of communication from RC was mentioned in a previous thread by a customer who bought an outside stone and had them set it. That would not sit well with me, personally.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know you said your gf loves that antique setting.

Did she say that she specifically wants an old cut stone? Just making sure because you know, they’re completely different from modern brilliant cuts. (I love them:lickout: but if I was envisioning getting a MRB and received an OEC, I might be thrown for a loop)

Jelly88

Rough_Rock
Victor Canera could also be a good option. I think his antique inspired settings are beautiful and I’m sure his antique cut stones are to die for. Though I haven’t worked with him, I’ve contacted him in the past about a potential project and thought his customer service and response time was excellent.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a true lover of antique diamonds and have many (4 on me today!), but I would STRONGLY recommend you do not look at colors K and below unless your girl can look at them and help you select. While OEC hide color better than modern cuts, you still see the body color starting at a 45-degree tilt and down to the side. If your girl is expecting a "white" stone or maybe just a bit of warmth, J is about as low as I'd look without her direct involvement (eyeballs on stones in person).

On the RC setting, its a copy of an antique setting. I'd rather see you find a great diamond and work with David Klass to have a setting customized that will suit the stone you find. I'd also recommend the setting be modified to allow a flush-fitting wedding band. Its nearly there, such a change in the head. The shank is also narrow, which will allow a big diamond (heavy) to tip annoyingly.

I'd recommend that you are open to antique cushions as well as OECs.

Edited to add. I don't know Adam's bench, personally, except that there was a lengthy thread on a setting that the person was quite unhappy with the work. I'd be concerned about a custom setting unless there are a lot more positives on the setting work from PS members.

I would also find 3 days to view and decide on a diamond untenable and I'm pretty good with diamonds.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Again, unless his girl has stated "I love heart shaped things and want lots of them", I'd avoid them.

These have a vintage and old world feeling. But, it will all come down to your budget. If you want a big stone for around $10k, then you'll have to find compromises in the setting budget. Choices, choices.

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/vintage-octagonal-solitaire-with-pave
https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/adriana-solitaire-with-a-pave-set-cathedral-band

Jelly88

Rough_Rock
Again, unless his girl has stated "I love heart shaped things and want lots of them", I'd avoid them.

These have a vintage and old world feeling. But, it will all come down to your budget. If you want a big stone for around $10k, then you'll have to find compromises in the setting budget. Choices, choices.

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/vintage-octagonal-solitaire-with-pave
https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/adriana-solitaire-with-a-pave-set-cathedral-band

I meant the setting could be a potential, not the heart shaped stone ;-)

Khall0204

Rough_Rock
I know you said your gf loves that antique setting.

Did she say that she specifically wants an old cut stone? Just making sure because you know, they’re completely different from modern brilliant cuts. (I love them:lickout: but if I was envisioning getting a MRB and received an OEC, I might be thrown for a loop)

So I wouldn't say she's a complete diamond wiz by any means, but she did a little research on OEC and OMC, and really loved the "sparkle and flash" they put off. She was also very excited when she briefly learned of their antique nature. I happen to be one of those people that loves quality made vintage goods, and love that each OEC potentially has a unique and vintage oriented back story. I think it's a fun conversation piece when people look over the ring, and in my eyes, just separates her from the rest of the crowd. I guess you could she loves the OEC for its looks, where as I also love it for its history.

Khall0204

Rough_Rock
I am a true lover of antique diamonds and have many (4 on me today!), but I would STRONGLY recommend you do not look at colors K and below unless your girl can look at them and help you select. While OEC hide color better than modern cuts, you still see the body color starting at a 45-degree tilt and down to the side. If your girl is expecting a "white" stone or maybe just a bit of warmth, J is about as low as I'd look without her direct involvement (eyeballs on stones in person).

On the RC setting, its a copy of an antique setting. I'd rather see you find a great diamond and work with David Klass to have a setting customized that will suit the stone you find. I'd also recommend the setting be modified to allow a flush-fitting wedding band. Its nearly there, such a change in the head. The shank is also narrow, which will allow a big diamond (heavy) to tip annoyingly.

I'd recommend that you are open to antique cushions as well as OECs.

Edited to add. I don't know Adam's bench, personally, except that there was a lengthy thread on a setting that the person was quite unhappy with the work. I'd be concerned about a custom setting unless there are a lot more positives on the setting work from PS members.

I would also find 3 days to view and decide on a diamond untenable and I'm pretty good with diamonds.

I appreciate your wisdom! I think that's where I'm having the most trouble as of right now, is trying to find that fine line of showcasing a white OEC, but also giving her something that is larger than 1 ct. Potentially something roughly 2 ct in size. I'm not sure why, but 2 ct is engraved (no pun intended) in my mind for some reason. And I'm willing to sacrifice some of the color and clarity to give her a larger diamond. But at what point am I crossing the line, and giving her a diamond that she'd prefer smaller in size, and clearer in color? That's the dilemma I'm currently facing.

So, in your opinion, It'd be best to stay at a K or above?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I appreciate your wisdom! I think that's where I'm having the most trouble as of right now, is trying to find that fine line of showcasing a white OEC, but also giving her something that is larger than 1 ct. Potentially something roughly 2 ct in size. I'm not sure why, but 2 ct is engraved (no pun intended) in my mind for some reason. And I'm willing to sacrifice some of the color and clarity to give her a larger diamond. But at what point am I crossing the line, and giving her a diamond that she'd prefer smaller in size, and clearer in color? That's the dilemma I'm currently facing.

So, in your opinion, It'd be best to stay at a K or above?
J is the lowest I'd go. At a J, there will be some color from the side. But, a well selected setting can help mask it. The ability to see color is highly variable among people. Did you look at the LAD stone I posted?

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
I haven’t seen them mentioned here, but I follow underthecrownjewelry on Instagram and they have some really lovely rings/stones and are followed by a lot of the ps recommended
vendors. Eg below, no idea of the specs.

. 7CD7DB1F-C03F-4731-9ABD-87AD4FB161FD.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results