shape
carat
color
clarity

Michelle's helps with college admission

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Ok, let's just look at her accomplishments:
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/29/...-yara-shahidi-is-a-role-model-off-screen.html

I know you don't click on links, so here is an excerpt:
"When she’s not taping “Black-ish,” she is a full-time social activist, inspiring young women to excel academically, volunteering at medical clinics and starting her own mentoring club.

“I’m filming nine and a half hours a day five days a week, but whenever I have a free moment, I’m talking to the U.N. or working on how to get Yara’s Club launched,” Ms. Shahidi said, referring to a mentoring program with the Young Women’s Leadership Network. “Giving back is not just something you do as an adult.”

There are few African-American actresses her age who are having the kind of cultural and social impact that Ms. Shahidi is, both on and off screen. This year, she was nominated for a Teen Choice Award for best breakout star. She won a N.A.A.C.P. Image Award for outstanding supporting actress in a comedy series.

She was also recognized by the N.A.A.C.P. for her commitment to service and scholarship. Last month, Ms. Shahidi met with UN Women, an organization dedicated to gender equality. And before that, she spoke at the Paley Center for Media on a panel titled “Cracking the Code: Diversity, Hollywood & STEM.”"

...She also takes her academics seriously: She is enrolled in AP calculus and honors chemistry and maintains a 4.6 grade point average."

This kid sounds like she deserves to get in everywhere.

ETA: I doubt that Michelle Obama would write a recommendation for just anyone who wasn't truly impressive.

Last edited:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thinking maybe there are more pressing issues than picking on young accomplished women who get into college.

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
https://www.aol.com/article/enterta...cepted-into-every-college-i-applied/22037133/

And this is an accomplishment on whose part?

As someone who has 3 kids and has observed the process - admissions should be totally blind.

No name, no sex, no religion. Just the facts. Grades, test scores, and accomplishments.

Many of the colleges I applied to required an interview so it can never be blind the way you want. In fact, I interviewed applicants as an alumna, and I found that a lot of kids look great on paper, but the carefully built facade breaks down when probed.

Anyway, why hate on the kid? Or are you just against her because Michelle Obama wrote her a letter of rec? Lots of kids try to get these letters from someone important/famous: my brother interned for our senator and it was his job to process requests for letters of recommendations -- they received a lot.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
I wonder if this would be a thread if Ivanka had written the letter.

I've worked on the admissions committee at my grad school, and I have to say that letters of recommendation, whether or not they are from famous people, are important. It gives another perspective on the candidate, and helps validate the applicant, which can help the admissions committee determine if the student is/isn't a good fit for the school.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I am not hating on anyone.

Letters should come from previous teachers or employers only.

Not everyone gets an interview where obviously you will see the candidate in person.

So keep it blind until then.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I wonder if this would be a thread if Ivanka had written the letter.

I've worked on the admissions committee at my grad school, and I have to say that letters of recommendation, whether or not they are from famous people, are important. It gives another perspective on the candidate, and helps validate the applicant, which can help the admissions committee determine if the student is/isn't a good fit for the school.

You could have stopped wondering if you had read my entire post where I stated it should be blind admission based on sex and race as well. Just on grades and accomplishments until you get to the interview.

As far as the recommendation from a famous person, imo it should be based on what you know not who you know.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not hating on anyone.

Letters should come from previous teachers or employers only.

Not everyone gets an interview where obviously you will see the candidate in person.

So keep it blind until then.

She worked with Obama. Simple.

http://www.teenvogue.com/story/yara-shahidi-on-nabbing-michelle-obama-recommendation-letter

Yara explained the impressive endorsement on Jimmy Kimmel Live!, noting that she got close to the former First Lady while working on Obama's Let Girls Learn education initiative. The short answer to how she scored the rec letter? Per Yara, "hard work."

some colleges don't require letters.

http://blog.prepscholar.com/how-many-college-recommendation-letters-do-i-need

Again, it’s always a good idea to check your school’s website for information or call its admissions office directly for its advice. Some schools will read your letters if you want to send them, while others are rather adamant about not sending any.

Here are a few schools that, generally speaking, don’t require recommendation letters:

• Penn State University (unless specified by a program)
  • University of California schools
  • University of Minnesota
  • University of Texas
  • University of Washington

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
She worked with Obama. Simple.

http://www.teenvogue.com/story/yara-shahidi-on-nabbing-michelle-obama-recommendation-letter

Yara explained the impressive endorsement on Jimmy Kimmel Live!, noting that she got close to the former First Lady while working on Obama's Let Girls Learn education initiative. The short answer to how she scored the rec letter? Per Yara, "hard work."

some colleges don't require letters.

http://blog.prepscholar.com/how-many-college-recommendation-letters-do-i-need

Again, it’s always a good idea to check your school’s website for information or call its admissions office directly for its advice. Some schools will read your letters if you want to send them, while others are rather adamant about not sending any.

Here are a few schools that, generally speaking, don’t require recommendation letters:

• Penn State University (unless specified by a program)
  • University of California schools
  • University of Minnesota
  • University of Texas
  • University of Washington

Is she the only one who has volunteered. If Yara had not been a star on this program would she have had access to the former first lady to even write this letter.

As far as her hard work, there are many, many, many hard working youth out there who have very impressive resumes but not the contacts to get them noticed.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is she the only one who has volunteered. If Yara had not been a star on this program would she have had access to the former first lady to even write this letter.

As far as her hard work, there are many, many, many hard working youth out there who have very impressive resumes but not the contacts to get them noticed.

We don't know how many recommendations Obama made.. Maybe everyone who worked with her ont he project, I don't know. I doubt the kid even needed Obama, she's very very well rounded, a very very smart kid, A/P Calc is HARD.. (my kid took it and he considered college easy compared to some A/P classes he took in high school). If you think the ONLY reason why she got into the colleges she applied for was Obama then you should be able to prove it.. She's a television star, with a STELLAR academic record, probably outstanding SATs, she has a lot going for her.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I don't know why this thread was started besides the need to criticize something an Obama did. The subject is a 17 year old girl who is accomplished in her own right, with or without a recommendation from a former First Lady. If you're going to start a thread criticizing people on getting where they are because of who they know (and again, I don't think this is one of those cases, this person deserves to get in everywhere), maybe you should start one on Ivanka's and Jared's positions in the White House? If you did, I'm sorry if I missed it, but it sure seems like Ivanka and Jared got to where they are based on who they know.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
We don't know how many recommendations Obama made.. Maybe everyone who worked with her ont he project, I don't know. I doubt the kid even needed Obama, she's very very well rounded, a very very smart kid, A/P Calc is HARD.. (my kid took it and he considered college easy compared to some A/P classes he took in high school). If you think the ONLY reason why she got into the colleges she applied for was Obama then you should be able to prove it.. She's a television star, with a STELLAR academic record, probably outstanding SATs, she has a lot going for her.

Then if she is all that, why ask Mrs. Obama. Go by your own merits.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I don't know why this thread was started besides the need to criticize something an Obama did. The subject is a 17 year old girl who is accomplished in her own right, with or without a recommendation from a former First Lady. If you're going to start a thread criticizing people on getting where they are because of who they know (and again, I don't think this is one of those cases, this person deserves to get in everywhere), maybe you should start one on Ivanka's and Jared's positions in the White House? If you did, I'm sorry if I missed it, but it sure seems like Ivanka and Jared got to where they are based on who they know.

Start your own topic on Ivanka and Jared as it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

As far as my starting this topic it is because I have seen so many qualified children over the years who were not able to get into the college of their choice because they could not name drop.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I guess "leave children alone" only applies to Barron Trump.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Start your own topic on Ivanka and Jared as it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

As far as my starting this topic it is because I have seen so many qualified children over the years who were not able to get into the college of their choice because they could not name drop.
Ok, but this isn't one of those cases. They had worked together. It is the same as an employer writing a letter of recommendation.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Because she worked on a project with her. She's talented, she's highly intelligent, she's a leader, what is wrong with asking a mentor for a rec?

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.getyourselfintocollege.com/2015/07/letters-of-recommendation-famous-people/

from the site:

No college is going to admit you just because a famous person endorses you.

Does this mean that you should never include a letter of recommendation from a well-known person?

No.

If Brandon worked closely with the politician, I would have given him different advice.

https://www.usnews.com/education/bl...-for-4-myths-about-us-college-recommendations

Myth 3: A generic recommendation letter from a high-profile person is superior to a detailed one from someone less famous. The purpose of recommendation letters is for the members of the admissions committee to get to know you: how you work, learn new things, handle challenges and interact with others at school or work.

Only someone who knows you well and has worked with you and observed you closely can convey that information.

If you know a high-profile person in your field cannot provide an in-depth description of you, then their letter is not as valuable as one from your immediate supervisor. After all, it is information on you that the committee is looking for, not your association with somebody famous.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

She did go by her own merits, one of which was working with Obama. It's simple.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Yara is 17, and considered an adult in many communities and she went on a morning show and put it all out there herself.

Barron is 10 and the Trumps do not put him in the limelight. If anything they do all they can to shield him from the public.

E B

Ideal_Rock
"Because they could not name drop."

This assumes the letter was what got her in. You must have missed her impressive list of qualifications SMC so nicely C&Ped above. It's worth a scroll back up, promise.

Not qualified enough, it sounds like.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She is a child. She "put it out there herself", what that she got into college? Would you rather she be running a meth lab? Honestly, the things that get your ire up are baffling.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
5.0 GPA. And a perfect 1600 on their SATs.

Nope, not qualified at all.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
She did go by her own merits, one of which was working with Obama. It's simple.

Then put it in your own resume and let it speak for itself.

E B

Ideal_Rock
5.0 GPA. And a perfect 1600 on their SATs.

Nope, not qualified at all.

Not for certain colleges, I guess. GPA and SAT aren't everything, nor should they be.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Because they could not name drop."

This assumes the letter was what got her in. You must have missed her impressive list of qualifications SMC so nicely C&Ped above. It's worth a scroll back up, promise.

Not qualified enough, it sounds like.

Don't even try. Anything you say will be met with a personal anecdote. If you ever had an opinion about anything, she will "know" someone who "proves" you wrong.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Not for certain colleges, I guess. GPA and SAT aren't everything, nor should they be.

Then what gets you to an interview besides being a legacy or name dropping.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then put it in your own resume and let it speak for itself.

Why, why not use that person for a rec if the person knows you well and you have worked closely and the famous person knows your commitment and intelligence? IF you read the pointers I posted above you will have read that famous people recs don't work unless the famous person and student have a true working relationship. Which this girl did.

Reactions: SMC

E B

Ideal_Rock
Then what gets you to an interview besides being a legacy or name dropping.

I was unaware the only kids getting into colleges these days were those with rich daddies or celebrity connections. Man, have things changed.

This isn't just about the letter, and since that's where it's veering, I'll bow out now. Rage on!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results