shape
carat
color
clarity

Massive haul for reselling, advice appreciated!

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My FIL was an avid jewellery collector over his lifetime, and now that he's semi-retired I thought I could try my hand at selling some of his collection online. I went and picked out a bunch of pieces I thought I might be able to sell (ie, lower priced), and if it works out I'll give a try with the expensive items too. He has a lot of AAA+++ jadeite and huge stones, but I've never sold any jewelry online (despite buying a ton lol) so starting small first. I was like a kid in a candy store, soo much shiny stuff to pick from! :cheeky:

First photos, then if anyone has any advice for me I'd greatly appreciate it! Besides, I just wanted to share, since Pricescope has really nurtured my jewellery interest to the point I'd take on attempting to resell stuff (albeit for fun, it's just gathering dust in his storage).

6wPPp0g.png

I saw 3 rings of different sizes in this style, so I took all 3. I might end up keeping one if I can sell the other stuff, because I really love it!

ox2el07.png

I'm not a brooch person but I feel like this could make someone really happy. It's a convertible pendant style, with a little flower loophole at the back. A nice size too.

ZigDr3D.png

Dunno what this is or if it's any good, FIL has a whole stash of these so I just randomly took one to test the waters.

EaPQ74s.png

Rainbow sapphires! These are hard to take photos of, they look better in person somehow.

BRLpxFv.png

This is his cheapest jadeite piece (but it's still really nice, he specializes in jadeite), so I also took it to try. I think some sun will make it look so much better. The prongs are quite lovely.

qphmodw.png

Tanzanite, I think? Still waiting for them to send me certs. The color's really pretty.

sbpYhze.png

This ring is MASSIVE and HEAVY and AWESOME. I think it's so fun, with all the different cuts!

Lgtg45H.png

This ring is soo comfy and wearable! I wouldn't mind keeping this one either. :lol:

jAOwJLV.png

Almost passed this one over, until I looked closer and noticed the weird cut. What the heck is that even? Modified asscher? It's like a mini stop sign made of mirrors.

8vxuDen.png

First time seeing Alexandrite in person! The color change is so cool but I couldn't capture it in photos yet. Such a weird stone!

All are 18k gold or platinum, and most were purchased in Japan. Sturdy, well made pieces. There's a few more I didn't take photos of yet, will do that over the weekend. I was thinking of dumping these on Etsy after taking better photos in the sun and getting their certs, but I've never tried selling physical goods online so any advice would be great! I love taking photos of bling so I really hope this works out and then I can eventually have an excuse to photograph his whole collection bwahahaha :P2

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, these are just the ones he won't miss?! So kind of you to do this for your FIL. May make sense to engage an independent appraiser to help you with valuations? Some of the popular sellers that are mentioned here like jewels by grace do this for estate pieces. Anyway, wow! Have fun!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a fun project to undertake, and with such lovely pieces. :clap:

I’d second @bludiva ‘s suggestion to engage an independent appraiser if you’re selling these items yourself, especially for the potentially pricier items to ensure not only value but authenticity, such as with that alexandrite, given there is a huge price differential for natural vs. sim alex (and it’s not always easy to distinguish between the two). But also, it will help to give buyers some peace of mind in knowing exactly what they are buying while ensuring your integrity in selling items isn’t compromised.

Also worth noting, while you may be selling someone else’s personal collection, it may introduce the potential for you to be viewed (on PS) as ‘trade’ vs. a regular consumer. Might be worth inquiring to admin about that so you don’t inadvertently break any forum rules.

Good luck & best wishes on your new adventure! :wavey:

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Do be aware that selling is not as easy as people think. It’s very different from buying. There’s a skill to this, and it has at least as much to do with you as it does the product. You’re wise to start with inexpensive things and learn the ropes.

As mentioned above, you have leaped across the line to becoming a ‘trade’ member here, and the rules are different. There are links at the bottom of the page. Read them. The biggest is that you can’t use the forum to promote your own stuff, even subtly. Even asking for or giving business advice is pushing things a bit although not specifically forbidden.

Best of luck with your new venture.

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow, these are just the ones he won't miss?! So kind of you to do this for your FIL. May make sense to engage an independent appraiser to help you with valuations? Some of the popular sellers that are mentioned here like jewels by grace do this for estate pieces. Anyway, wow! Have fun!
Not kind... more like having an excuse to take photos of jewelry! :whistle:

What a fun project to undertake, and with such lovely pieces. :clap:

I’d second @bludiva ‘s suggestion to engage an independent appraiser if you’re selling these items yourself, especially for the potentially pricier items to ensure not only value but authenticity, such as with that alexandrite, given there is a huge price differential for natural vs. sim alex (and it’s not always easy to distinguish between the two). But also, it will help to give buyers some peace of mind in knowing exactly what they are buying while ensuring your integrity in selling items isn’t compromised.

Also worth noting, while you may be selling someone else’s personal collection, it may introduce the potential for you to be viewed (on PS) as ‘trade’ vs. a regular consumer. Might be worth inquiring to admin about that so you don’t inadvertently break any forum rules.

Good luck & best wishes on your new adventure! :wavey:
How do I contact an admin? However this isn't my main livelihood and I don't have a gemological certificate or plan to get one, I would feel weird flaunting a 'trade' tag...!

Most of his pieces should come with certs from independent appraisers, just waiting for him to send me the certs. I will definitely include it with the pieces.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The easiest way to contact the admin is through the 'contact us' link at the bottom of the page.

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Do be aware that selling is not as easy as people think. It’s very different from buying. There’s a skill to this, and it has at least as much to do with you as it does the product. You’re wise to start with inexpensive things and learn the ropes.

As mentioned above, you have leaped across the line to becoming a ‘trade’ member here, and the rules are different. There are links at the bottom of the page. Read them. The biggest is that you can’t use the forum to promote your own stuff, even subtly. Even asking for or giving business advice is pushing things a bit although not specifically forbidden.

Best of luck with your new venture.
Oh I definitely think selling is super hard! I mainly wanted to try it because I've been buying a lot of online jewelry recently, and figure I should try the other side to really get a better understanding of what's a good deal or not.

Got it, I'll read through the rules and try the contact thing later, thanks for pointing them out!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow beautiful pieces, LOVE that first ring you have pictured and the brooch :kiss2:

Just keep in mind with Etsy like any other platform that there are fees 5% of the selling price 3.5% for payment processing and some nominal listing fees. They also take 5% off whatever you charge to ship. You would also need to have a GDPR compliant policy to sell to the EU, they also have very lenient return policies and although you could specify no returns a buyer can force a return through their credit card issuer. I sell a little bit of jewelry on Etsy, you just have to find the right buyer and it can take a while. If you are considering it, read up on the Etsy seller handbook, there is an Etsy forum which might also prove helpful.

Also with Etsy items need to be vintage (20 years or older, a supply, or handmade to sell on the platform.

Did I mention how much I like that first ring? And you say there are more like it? :twisted2:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@chappy I don’t think it matters if it’s a part time/full time gig, or whether you hold a GG certificate or not. If you were just interested in learning/understanding what’s a good deal or not for your own personal buying purposes, I think there are other/better ways to go about that than jumping into the business of selling. Just my $0.02. :wavey:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@chappy I don’t think it matters if it’s a part time/full time gig, or whether you hold a GG certificate or not. If you were just interested in learning/understanding what’s a good deal or not for your own personal buying purposes, I think there are other/better ways to go about that than jumping into the business of selling. Just my $0.02. :wavey:
Agree with this. I personally hold trademembers - all trademembers - to higher standards of knowledge... if you want to learn and explore there are definitely less risky and more efficiently beneficial ways than selling!

Terming this situation “Trade” seems unreasonable to me, though - I assume “Trade” means owner or employee of some registered and taxed corporate entity dealing in jewellery.
Please let us know what the mods say about the definition of “Trade”!

Last edited:

WhaleDoveOfPeace

Rough_Rock
I have absolutely no experience with selling, but I can already tell you I'm an interested buyer! What a fun and beautiful collection! Please send me a note with wherever you go live, and good luck!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
also i don't see it mentioned yet in this thread but a lot of people use the websites loupetroop or diamondbistro to sell their gently used jewelry items b/c there no additional fees tho buyer and seller alike take more risk with those sites.

there is the preloved forum here too and there's always ebay.... good luck =)

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just my 2 cents. Take awesome photos to really highlight all your products. Make all certs and tech data very easy to read and understand. Consider ASET or idealscope images as part of your showcase, especially on well cut items.

Above all else be genuine and transparent and treat others as you'd want treated. Learn the history and what you are selling. You need to have reasonable answers when someone asks a question. Personality can help sell or kill a sale. If possible make a genuine connection with a buyer, with the keyword being genuine.

Be fair on your pricing. Doesn't have to be stupid low or super expensive but somewhere that offers good value for all parties. Definitley having an experienced appraiser will help value unique items

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be fair on your pricing. Doesn't have to be stupid low or super expensive but somewhere that offers good value for all parties. Definitley having an experienced appraiser will help value unique items

I think this is where the gray area will be for being considered 'trade'. PS rules note something about consumers not reselling personal collection items for a profit. It seems a very gray area or fine line, which is why it's best OP reach out to @Ella or other admins before comme ting further on her plans here so she doesn't cross any lines in that regard.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Selling jewellery is tricky because it requires potential buyers to trust you and you to be alert to possible scam buyers.
It can also take time for the buyer to come along to pay the price you’re asking.
This is why people often chose to sell via auction - it’s fast, or by consignment - it’s simple BUT you’ll pay a commission to use these methods. Even eBay and Etsy take a proportion of your proceeds and if your buyer used PayPal, Paypal gets their cut as well.
If you want to sell for no charges you can use Loupe Troop and post your items up on Pricescope under “PS Pre Loved Jewels”. You can only discuss your items for sale in this particular forum.
That said, it can be an fun, interesting and educational journey for you to take. Good luck and enjoy.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe define “trade” similar to “business” for the tax man.
If it is done for (1) profit on a (2) regular basis by an (3) expert in the area, it is considered a business and not a hobby.

Hey - the admins can do whatever they like!
But that would be my suggested definition - must meet all three conditions to be a trade.

Nikki1415

Brilliant_Rock
I'm also an interested buyer, I really like that weird asscher ring!!!

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Hi folks, to clarify, if you are selling for a prolonged period and for profit, you do have to register as trade. If you are selling a personal collection and not making a profit, and it will not be a long term venture, you are not trade. There are unfortunately of course gray areas, but essentially if you are starting a business, even if you are a hobbyist, you're trade.

A note that trade cannot promote their items anywhere, and non-trade only in Preloved. So this is not the Forum to promote/discuss items a PS member might be selling.

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
Count me in as a potential interested buyer :)

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Count me in as a potential interested buyer :)
+1
Once you get your appraisals, Ebay is really easy to use, I sell all sorts of things on there AND they protect the seller in case of shady returns. I would like to comment that the no return policy so many people have on LT and DB is utterly ridiculous. If they only knew how many people/sales they lose with that nonsense. I know I'm not the only one that won't drop a dime without the ability to inspect the item for genuineness and suitability. That private party comment always makes me think someone is trying to unload their junk, and then I'd be stuck reselling it.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@chappy -

Plenty of people have sold pieces in Pre-loved they've inherited or that they've been gifted but don't want. If you want to use Pre-loved, I suspect it would be ok, so long as you sold one piece at a time, rather than selling a dozen things, which would be too much like a side business.

I'm only guessing on this, but I think keeping it low key and in small amounts is the way to do it on that board.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yet another interested party here! :wavey:

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Folks this is not a place to make offers or solicit sales per our policies. Please keep the convo strictly to selling advice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results