carat
color
clarity

Mascara - Current Favorites

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What mascara are you liking lately?
My eye finally stopped tearing and I've resumed mascara wearing!

I hate being older bc I now need to lift my brow up to keep the lid taut so the wand hits less lid and more lash :oops:

Right now, it seems that only waterproof maybelline volume express collosal will hold a curl for me and not budge for the bulk of the work day.

What mascara have you been loving lately?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lately? Girrrrl, I’ve been on the Maybelline Great Lash waterproof train since 1991. I have tried everything else...and will never give up my first wand.

ETA: my Method is never curl lashes “naked.” Always have at least one coat of mascara on before using a lash curler. Also make sure your curler is as clean as possible, and warm! If you are practiced enough, turn a blow dryer on low heat on your metal curler to warm it up, then apply to lashes. Careful with this step else you risk burning your eyelids at the least. But using heat to curl lashes is the same as using heat to curl the hair on your head...the mascara ensures the upward curl stays in.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ETA: my Method is never curl lashes “naked.” Always have at least one coat of mascara on before using a lash curler. Also make sure your curler is as clean as possible, and warm! If you are practiced enough, turn a blow dryer on low heat on your metal curler to warm it up, then apply to lashes. Careful with this step else you risk burning your eyelids at the least. But using heat to curl lashes is the same as using heat to curl the hair on your head...the mascara ensures the upward curl stays in.

This is officially genius!

Try Charlotte Tilbury Full Fat Lashes. It’s great - doesn’t clump, flake or go cakey. Her rock n kohl pencil eyeliner in Marlene midnight is also amazing. I’ve lived in black eyeliner since I was old enough to wear makeup but I think I’m just hitting the age where black looks a bit harsh sometimes. This is an amazing inky deep blue/navy. Sounds very 80s but really flattering in real life and just a step off from full-on black, so I don’t feel like I’m going cold turkey!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
None. I started using Latisse (generic) for my eyebrow alopecia and my derm said I could try it on my lashes and wowza. It's doing a great job. I use it only twice a week but it seems to maintain the length. I have always had good lashes though but now they are even better. My face is naked and I like it that way.

@JPie Basic is an understatement for me these days lol.:halo:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
None. I started using Latisse (generic) for my eyebrow alopecia and my derm said I could try it on my lashes and wowza. It's doing a great job. I use it only twice a week but it seems to maintain the length. I have always had good lashes though but now they are even better. My face is naked and I like it that way.

@JPie Basic is an understatement for me these days lol.:halo:

:lol: I’m right there with you. I only wear makeup for weddings these days. It just doesn’t feel good to have it on and I worry about aggravating my eczema.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My eyelashes are long but almost invisible without mascara because they are blonde. I love Clinique chubby lash.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: I’m right there with you. I only wear makeup for weddings these days. It just doesn’t feel good to have it on and I worry about aggravating my eczema.

So true. And taking off makeup can be tougher on our sensitive skin than putting it on...makes each day re face care so easy when one doesn't wear anything but moisturizer and sunblock if necessary. Plus it doesn't get messy when one is crying often either. Another plus.:oops2: Or kissing etc. :cheeky: But I digress. Back to the mascaras!

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/beauty-products/mascara-reviews/g3599/best-mascaras/

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/beauty/advice/g3359/best-mascaras/

https://www.businessinsider.com/best-mascara

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/beauty/makeup/advice/g1925/best-mascaras-of-all-time/

https://www.sephora.com/beauty/best-mascara

http://nymag.com/strategist/article/best-mascaras.html

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can get them permed or lifted I recommend it - really makes a massive difference, especially with hooded eyelids!

I also am enjoying L’Oréal Volume Million Lashes mascara.:wavey:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like tubing mascaras because I have oily skin and everything else melts underneath my eyes. Right now I’m using Snapscara by maybelline. It is by far, the best tubing mascara I have ever used. It provides volume and length. Three coats and my eyes are gorgeous.

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve been wearing Urban Decay Perversion for years. When I’m going for a more is more kind of look, I’ll also use the primer, Subversion.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never revisited the infamous Maybelline great lash when I tried it as tween/teen in the washable formula and it ended up all over my face. I'm going to revisit it with the waterproof!

And I swear they pump up new mascaras quicker than i can coat my lashes LOLOL! CHUBBY lash by clinique? I'm gonna put that on my list!

So many other new offerings ladies!!! Keep them rolling!

UD Perversion - I tried a sample and it smudged on me. I'll look to see if they have a waterproof one.

I actually prefer brown-black formulas because the smudging blends better with skin.

EYelash curlers - I must have lucked out in the past because my old cheap drug store ones from decades ago fit my eyes fine. I have a la crosse one in my brothel right now, and ordered this Brilliant Beauty one from Amazon based on the reviews. :-o It's wider and i kept poking myself hard with one of the 2 side support poles trying to grab my lashes with the curler!!! Then I marched into Sephora and bought my first "expensive" curler - the Lancome one. I like it. Do I like it 8x what I paid for La Crosse a million years ago? Nope, but am I worth it as a 40 year old making her own money? Heck YEAH!

I tried this Cabaret mascara based on some fashion magazine email recommending it, and it smudges on me. How my lids are does make me more smudge-worthy lolol

I also resent that I need use a finger to press my lid up pull it taut to minimize mascara getting on my upper lid. Ahhh... aging.

I won't perm my lashes because last year I had a blocked tear duct and got probed 2x, and then had continued tearing as the duct needed months to come down from swelling from the probes and finally drain properly. Now I'm like, NO ONE is going near my eyes with chemicals, unless it's me and eye makeup BAHAHAHAHA!

plad25

Shiny_Rock
I second the Benefit Roller Lash recommendation! I think its brush make a difference.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been using L'Oreal Voluminous for years. It doesn't smudge and make me look like a racoon at the end of the day. And the consistency stays smooth and fluid for months. Other mascaras get thick and clumpy much sooner.
It washes off cleanly with soap and water.
And I curl my lashes. They are short and stick straight, so curling makes a huge difference.
I warm the curler up with the blow dryer, and it works like a charm.
Also, I write the date I open a new mascara on the tube, so I know how long I've been using it. 'Cause I'm weird like that.

Last edited:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

After years of faithful use of YSL colored mascaras--I've switched to L'Oreal Voluminous (original). Love the blue and red!

cheers--Sharon

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I might grab a L’oreal voluminous next time I’m out! I used to use it on top of Great Lash, had forgotten that I also liked it. The brush really seemed to separate lashes well, as I recall.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, I write the date I open a new mascara on the tube, so I know how long I've been using it. 'Cause I'm weird like that.

Not weird. That's smart.:appl:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I might grab a L’oreal voluminous next time I’m out! I used to use it on top of Great Lash, had forgotten that I also liked it. The brush really seemed to separate lashes well, as I recall.

It such a great value. Sometime when I don't want vivid color I use Clinique black first and tip the ends with color. Brush is good.

cheers--Sharon

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Tarte's Lights Camera Lashes. But have started getting extensions as of last month. Oh my gosh I wish I hadn't waited so long to do it.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Maybelline Full N' Soft Washable Mascara. I like it because it does not clump, my lashes feel soft to the touch, and it washes off with regular facial cleanser. I am not sure about how it holds a curl since my eyelashes are naturally curly. I wear it all day every day and it does not budge for me. I would prefer brown/black, but most stores only carry black. I have been using it since it first came out. I know the Maybelline Great Lash is famous, but for some reason that wand never worked for my eyelashes - it made them clump.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I have been using Maybelline Lash Stiletto Mascara for years. I feel that it adds a few mm to my natural lashes which are already pretty long (for an Asian person). As for eyelash curler, I have a basic Revlon (Natural Curl) curler that you can buy at any Target or CVS, the trick I have been taught, is to start at the base of the lashline, and squeeze, then move up slightly squeeze again and keep repeating until the end of the lashes. This technique produces natural curl of lashes that lasts all day.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is officially genius!

Try Charlotte Tilbury Full Fat Lashes. It’s great - doesn’t clump, flake or go cakey. Her rock n kohl pencil eyeliner in Marlene midnight is also amazing. I’ve lived in black eyeliner since I was old enough to wear makeup but I think I’m just hitting the age where black looks a bit harsh sometimes. This is an amazing inky deep blue/navy. Sounds very 80s but really flattering in real life and just a step off from full-on black, so I don’t feel like I’m going cold turkey!

I like it too. Better than her Legendary Lashes. I've been using a sample of it lately and plan to buy the full size one.

I also really like the Monsieur Big and the classic Hypnose mascaras by Lancome. I also liked the Jennifer Lopez mascara put out by Inglot (it had the teeniest wand that I found helpful with my hooded eyes), but they discontinued it. The Hourglass caution mascara is a good tubing mascara too. I do find it a little hard to get off.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been using the Thrivecausemetics Liquid Lash extensions mascara and I LOVE it. It makes my lashes really long and full and stays the freaking put all day and washes off easily. I have tried a lot of mascaras and this is by far the best. I am on my 3rd tube.

I used Loreal Voluminous for years. It is my second fav. The Thrive is about 3-4 times better to me.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loreal’s lash paradise is a 1:1 dupe for better than sex mascara. It’s significantly increased my makeup game on a budget. I hate spending $ on mascara since you’re supposed to toss it every 3 months and I prob only use it like 1x every 3 months lol.

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
I’ve been researching and experimenting with mascara for a few months now. My makeup (when I wear it) consists of brow gel and mascara :lol:

My favorite so far is Ilia Limitless. It only comes in one shade though. Boy is it effective at lengthening and separating my lashes. The wand has two ‘sides’ with one for layering and the other for separating. No flakes, smudging or irritation either. And, important to me, cruelty free :appl:

Sephora and the Detoxmarket carry it.

Btw, I had been using Milk’s Kush and Two Faced Better Than Sex. Both are good but we’re clumpy and smudgy, flaky. That said YMMV and both are cruelty free too.

Good luck on this fun journey PB. I’ve been a fan of yours for years

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been researching and experimenting with mascara for a few months now. My makeup (when I wear it) consists of brow gel and mascara :lol:

My favorite so far is Ilia Limitless. It only comes in one shade though. Boy is it effective at lengthening and separating my lashes. The wand has two ‘sides’ with one for layering and the other for separating. No flakes, smudging or irritation either. And, important to me, cruelty free :appl:

Sephora and the Detoxmarket carry it.

Btw, I had been using Milk’s Kush and Two Faced Better Than Sex. Both are good but we’re clumpy and smudgy, flaky. That said YMMV and both are cruelty free too.

Good luck on this fun journey PB. I’ve been a fan of yours for years
You are too kind! I love your avatar!!! I had never heard of Ilia, so thanks for chiming in!

Not sure if I mentioned this earlier, but I try to get brown black versus black because i find the smudging less severe and it blends in with skin tone more readily.

Brow gel - omg... who knew that a little oomph there takes years off!!! I like Tarte's busy gal brow, but only apply it at home bc it is pretty dang permanent and dried quickly. When I put my brows on at work :bigsmile: I like queen of the fill. It is wetter and I have more time to adjust.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results