shape
carat
color
clarity

Loose diamond for bezel pendant

EAB

Rough_Rock
I have been trying to narrow down my choice of a diamond bezel pendant design by reading all the information and looking at pictures here on Pricescope. I will be going to the Tucson gem shows in a couple weeks, including the AGTA and GJX shows downtown. I will be looking for bezel pendants but would consider buying a loose diamond if nothing grabs me. I know a bit about diamonds but would appreciate any tips from those experienced in buying loose diamonds. I am thinking in the .75-1.00 carat range and would most likely want a sliding pendant setting. I worry about the flipping issue that is often mentioned.

Any pointers on things to look for, or avoid, in diamonds for this type of setting would be much appreciated, or any other advice on this project. Many thanks.

Reactions: AV_

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This entire forum contains so much info on buying loose diamonds, it is hard to condense it into one post... lol

Have you read through all the drop-down tabs at the top? They are a good place to start :)

You can use the diamond search bar at the top of the page to see what your budget might get you, so you know in advance of going. Select 'Excellent' on the HCA score filter and then GIA XXX and AGS000 to filter out stones that are not within the ranges that will work as well as they could.

60/60 (~60% table, ~60% depth) stones are shallow and can face up larger (but have more white light than coloured fire), and shallower stones within the search results mentioned above will also look larger for their carrot weight.

Caution is needed if a stone has a smaller table (<55%), short Lower Girdle Facets (75%) and a higher crown (35 degrees+) as it may look dark when viewed close up, but they are suited for pendants because the viewing distance is generally greater than diamonds worn in rings.

All the above assumes you want a Modern Round Brilliant diamond, of course.

What shapes are you thinking about?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
If Tucson does not distract you from this plan, nothing will.

EAB

Rough_Rock
Oh yes I’m familiar with both the jeweled and non jeweled distractions of Tucson! Such a beautiful city.
Yes I have a MRB diamond in mind. I must admit though the more I try to learn the less I know. The various numbers, percentages in reference to the cuts are a bit baffling when one is unfamiliar with these specific details.

Am I right to assume that if one looks at uncertified stones that all these numbers are unavailable?
I would like to think there are good options out there that do not come with a certificate, especially as I am wanting a diamond suitable for a pendant, not an engagement ring. If measurements are not available for a particular stone, is there a way to judge it other than just looking at it?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Am I right to assume that if one looks at uncertified stones that all these numbers are unavailable?
I would like to think there are good options out there that do not come with a certificate, especially as I am wanting a diamond suitable for a pendant, not an engagement ring. If measurements are not available for a particular stone, is there a way to judge it other than just looking at it?
I'm not sure how large SARIN scanners are but they can give all the angles of a diamond without sending it to GIA/AGS/whoever - but if they are massive and heavy, I doubt anyone will have one on their stand!

Other than that... you could purchase an ASETscope for your own use? That would enable comparisons between stones, as well as identification of leakage and any faceting issues, but it's probably (sadly) also fair to say that some (most?) vendors would look at you like you're crazy and think "Oh, here comes some smartarse who's read something on the internet and bought some 'gadget'..." :rolleyes:

You can do some assessment with the naked eye, but don't forget the 'magic lighting' will be designed to make everything look good. Try to look at things in flat lighting - perhaps hold a sheet of white A4 paper over the diamond, as that would remove direct light sources (and therefore distracting sparkle) and enable you to see if the stone is bright from edge to edge or has any dark areas of leakage.

(I think - I am no expert ;-) :) )

EAB

Rough_Rock
Haha, I think you’re are exactly right. And I undoubtedly would add to it by being the ignorant smartarse that brought her googled gadget and doesn’t know what the heck to do with it! Perhaps if I keep reading on a daily basis I will know enough to consider that for the 2021 shows!
But seriously I’m planning on just enjoying the hunt and seeing what I discover along the way. The Tucson shows are most educational and an unparalleled opportunity to view and handle so many treasures. But I may end up seeking advice next month on purchasing something from one of the trusted online vendors, the PS community seems so helpful in assisting people like me.

And OooShiny thanks for the thought on blocking out the light. I usually step away from the booth lighting but the paper is an even better idea. Reminds me years ago when we use to buy a lot of Persian rugs the big showrooms would have massive wattage shining on the rugs. We would always ask them to turn off the lights. Boy were they reluctant and boy did it always make a huge difference!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, I think you’re are exactly right. And I undoubtedly would add to it by being the ignorant smartarse that brought her googled gadget and doesn’t know what the heck to do with it! Perhaps if I keep reading on a daily basis I will know enough to consider that for the 2021 shows!
But seriously I’m planning on just enjoying the hunt and seeing what I discover along the way. The Tucson shows are most educational and an unparalleled opportunity to view and handle so many treasures. But I may end up seeking advice next month on purchasing something from one of the trusted online vendors, the PS community seems so helpful in assisting people like me.

And OooShiny thanks for the thought on blocking out the light. I usually step away from the booth lighting but the paper is an even better idea. Reminds me years ago when we use to buy a lot of Persian rugs the big showrooms would have massive wattage shining on the rugs. We would always ask them to turn off the lights. Boy were they reluctant and boy did it always make a huge difference!

I think go and have fun, and just see what you can see :) Lots of shiny thing to distract you! :D lol

Don't forget to tell the vendor before you seemingly hide the diamond/stone from their view ;-) haha

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results