shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for an oval Padparadscha

cbaty08

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

I'm looking for an oval padparadscha, in a peachy color, and I'm curious if you folks can point me in any specific direction for a source?

I've got a few places at the moment I'm talking with locally, and will be hitting up the jewelry mart tomorrow, but was curious if anyone here had suggestions before I walk in there; would prefer to buy online and save dollars, if possible. (though, this pad hunt has been taking a long time thus far)

Thanks for any and all help you may be able to provide!

Oh, I'd like the stone to be between 3-4 carats. Thank you!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your budget? We are happy to help!

cbaty08

Rough_Rock
What is your budget? We are happy to help!

I'd like to stay under $10k. :] (GIA cert. of course, unless being sourced directly for a steal etc etc)

Thanks for your offer to help!

Last edited:

cbaty08

Rough_Rock
It might be a bit of a challenge to find a suitable padparadscha of the size you seek for under $10k. That said, take a look here:
https://gemfix.com/gem-category/sapphire/sapphire-pink
and look at G85638 here:
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/ge...dscha&minct=3.00&maxct=&min=&max=&sku=&page=1

I've thought about gemfix; so they're a good store in your opinion?

I will also shoot a message to Pearlman's; I'd like more pictures on this one, as I like it, but it might be too pink for what I'm after: http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/gemstones/?sku=G85638#

I've also spoken with Gary of FineWater before; very nice gentleman, and very nice cuts. Unfortunately, he doesn't have what I'm looking for at the moment. Suppose I could email him again though; it has been many months since we last spoke.

just a thought - would something like this be of interest?
https://gemfix.com/gems/mahenge-garnet-229

Its garnet, not sapphire, but it can be found in similar color ranges

I have! I actually have some rough that I will one day have cut for her; but, for now, she wants a pad. :D
Thank you, both, for your suggestions!

I'm heading up to the SF jewelry mart to return a yellow sapphire, and look at some others; wish me luck! Tips are always welcome, as I'm not very educated in this field.

Thanks!

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Out of curiousity, from your comment can I infer that you're a bay area faceter?

cbaty08

Rough_Rock
Out of curiousity, from your comment can I infer that you're a bay area faceter?

Bay area'n(?), but just a Joe looking for a stone for his to-be. :razz: (I have no skills in the faceting world, and would likely turn to a cutter like Gary (Finewater) or even John, here: https://gemsbyjohn.com/

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ha! Sorry, I read the part about garnet getting cut as something you were going to undertake.

I've somehow never made it to the sf jewelry mart, but sounds like an interesting adventure! Is it worth a visit?

cbaty08

Rough_Rock
Ha! Sorry, I read the part about garnet getting cut as something you were going to undertake.

I've somehow never made it to the sf jewelry mart, but sounds like an interesting adventure! Is it worth a visit?

Very cool place! Check in as a guest and shop around!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The size is a challenge at any price at all ...

Take a look around starruby.in, if you do not dislike the old school cut. Many GIA& AGSL reports for Pad. & interesting quotes WWW.

This place may give some idea of what prices are at the moment - WWW - I do not quite know what 10K buys, not least because Padparadscha is quite a large world of shades & value ...

This idea of a Pad. is somethign else WWW - explained againts the above-mentioned grading standards here: WWW ...

2c

I do not quite have an opinion on what is a Pad - rather love all that range of colours. There remains the question of price ...

cbaty08

Rough_Rock
The size is a challenge at any price at all ...

Take a look around starruby.in, if you do not dislike the old school cut. Many GIA& AGSL reports for Pad. & interesting quotes WWW.

This place may give some idea of what prices are at the moment - WWW - I do not quite know what 10K buys, not least because Padparadscha is quite a large world of shades & value ...

This idea of a Pad. is somethign else WWW - explained againts the above-mentioned grading standards here: WWW ...

2c

I do not quite have an opinion on what is a Pad - rather love all that range of colours. There remains the question of price ...

Thanks for your comment! You know, now that you mention cut, are there many different cus for oval shapes? I guess there could be; please do share, if you can!

That starruby.in stone looks a bit too milky/included for what I'd like to shoot for, to be truthful.

Wow.. those stones in that video were phenomenal. I want to be there. haha

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'd be writing for a weeks about ovals ... However, I have not cut any ,-) This is a TOUGH question !

What you see is what you get ...

I am referring to relatively traditional sapphires - commonly cut quite symmetrical above the girdle only, as 'old schoo cut'. I rather like that idea for many reasons ... - color always seems better to me this way, and sometimes the reckless assymmetry of the 'bellies' adds interest rather than anything.

There are much more precisely fashioned sapphires these days. I'd say this is a glorious extra for smaller sapphire. Some colours that would hardly be noticed otherwise come into their own ... A beautiful New World ! A few cutters' work is well known around here - here's one: WWW

Thinking out loud ...

You have a fun choice to make !

Last edited:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That starruby.in stone looks a bit too milky/included for what I'd like to shoot for, to be truthful.

Hence price.

The stone seemed acceptable to use for the link - not a careful choice ...

crescentgems

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks! Another told me they felt it was a little zoned, too. Will pass on it. Thanks! This hunt is tough.

Its not tough , You just need the right supplier.
All the best in your search.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think its too light , looks more like a peach sapphire.
best of luck in your search for padparacha

It's a pretty stone and a common light Pad colour, is it fair you comment and then list a darker pink sapphire specifically for the OP on LT? Last time I checked given the fact you are trade that's called trolling or phishing for customers and is banned on here.

cbaty08

Rough_Rock

I'd be writing for a weeks about ovals ... However, I have not cut any ,-) This is a TOUGH question !

What you see is what you get ...

I am referring to relatively traditional sapphires - commonly cut quite symmetrical above the girdle only, as 'old schoo cut'. I rather like that idea for many reasons ... - color always seems better to me this way, and sometimes the reckless assymmetry of the 'bellies' adds interest rather than anything.

There are much more precisely fashioned sapphires these days. I'd say this is a glorious extra for smaller sapphire. Some colours that would hardly be noticed otherwise come into their own ... A beautiful New World ! A few cutters' work is well known around here - here's one: WWW

Thinking out loud ...

You have a fun choice to make !

Thank you! Those are some wonderfully cut stones on that IG account; just wow!

Its not tough , You just need the right supplier.
All the best in your search.

Thank you very much! This hasn't been easy. haha :]

I'm definitely not very knowledgeable about pad sapphires, I don't suspect this is an ideal stone, and I'm not sure if it is still available, but I coincidentally came across an oval pad within your parameters when browsing through Loupe Troop and reading this thread, so here is a link that might interest you, just in case: https://loupetroop.com/listings/loo...-dot-22ct-grs-certified-padparadscha-sapphire

Hey, THANKS! Unfortunately, that color is a little too saturated for what I'm wanting. Thank you though! I bookmarked that site, and will periodically check it. :)

If anyone else has suggestions for where to find nicely cut oval pads, please share. Happy Holidays!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wrote a post recently on pale pads & 'peach' sapphire ... take a look if you will (search @valeria101 for 'peach').

cbaty08

Rough_Rock
I wrote a post recently on pale pads & 'peach' sapphire ... take a look if you will (search @valeria101 for 'peach').

Thanks! I'm usually pretty good tech-wise, but I'm having a hard time finding your post. Please link it if you find time later; thank you!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry (was on another therad & phone).

This post WWW . The thread might be of use ...

I have a feeling that many sapphire sellers are cautious about calling 'Pad' the very light orange-pink sapphires, despite the fact thay such may get lab reports with the respective word on them ... Not sure what the story is - tradition, grading ... something or other. If you like the very light Pad, they may be available & called 'pink', 'peach', 'pastel' ... or some such. [my impression]

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There are several on eBay if you enter in your parameters.

cbaty08

Rough_Rock
There are several on eBay if you enter in your parameters.

Oh, I've scoured ebay tons, and never stop; have a specific seller you've got in mind? Thank you!

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh sorry I got two stones confused. This one looks more beautiful but the other one is certified. Yes I would tell that seller that you can offer contingent on him getting GIA cert.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is the other one, but color seems meh and looks different to the cert picture.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results