shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for Montana Sapphire

Nuzhat Majid

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I am a new member of this community. My partner and I are currently looking for a Montana sapphire. We found one that we really like and seems like a very reasonable price. Everywhere else I looked, the price was way higher that what the seller asked for. I am posting some pictures of the stone here. I am hoping you could help me to decide the quality of the stone. Below are the description seller posted:

Carat weight: 1.95
Natural Loose Unheated Montana Sapphire.
Shape: Round
Color: Teal Green
Weight: 1.95 carat
Dimensions: 6.8 mm. Depth 5 mm
Treatment: Unheated (very rare stone).
Clarity: Eye Clean (VS)
icm_fullxfull.210309242_o1alkt3dh9cg4s0sgwk8.jpg icm_fullxfull.210310008_jgxceey9gu80w8g0kgsk.jpg icm_fullxfull.214542697_syqaej2whqocok0og0g8.jpg
Thank you so much in advance :)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
can’t really tell what it gains or loses by what looks to be a really thick girdle?
Quality is somewhat (subjective and) dependent on the asking price.

Nuzhat Majid

Rough_Rock
can’t really tell what it gains or loses by what looks to be a really thick girdle?
Quality is somewhat (subjective and) dependent on the asking price.
She's asking for $1150.

mdi

Shiny_Rock
Oof, that seems a bit high for such a grey stone -- unless that's what you want. Have you checked out Earth's Treasury yet? Their prices are also high, but I think you'd get more bang for your buck.

mdi

Shiny_Rock
Also, try Blaze-n-Gem if you're looking for a deal -- his photos are atrocious, but his sapphires are really nice...not necessarily precision cut, but still nicely done.

Nuzhat Majid

Rough_Rock
Oof, that seems a bit high for such a grey stone -- unless that's what you want. Have you checked out Earth's Treasury yet? Their prices are also high, but I think you'd get more bang for your buck.

Thank you for the insight. I don't know much about stones, so this is really helpful. I'll check out Earth's Treasury.

Reactions: mdi

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For my money-
There’s several round Montana’s at Gemfix (restrictions on international shipping tho if that matters) that I’d prefer over this one.
Either smaller diameter or upping budget up to 1700.
Montana’s shift so differently in environments - it’s hard to compare. That part and color are all personal taste.

This one you have is gaining size for (IMO) the faceting, that thick girdle, possibly muddy color - can’t tell on video.

Last edited:

mdi

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the insight. I don't know much about stones, so this is really helpful. I'll check out Earth's Treasury.

What exact color are you looking for? I can check out some of the usual haunts and see if there's anything that looks good (to me, at least!)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol:
If not - what are we supposed to do with this commentary?
Or whom would you suggest?

Nuzhat Majid

Rough_Rock
What exact color are you looking for? I can check out some of the usual haunts and see if there's anything that looks good (to me, at least!)
I'm inclined towards teal, blue/green, or sea(mermaid) green. I haven't fixated on a color, but I know that I don't want a royal blue sapphire. Parti sapphires look really cool too, but I think those will be out of our budget. Thanks for looking, I appreciate your help so much!

Nuzhat Majid

Rough_Rock
For my money-
There’s several round Montana’s at Gemfix (restrictions on international shipping tho if that matters) that I’d prefer over this one.
Either smaller diameter or upping budget up to 1700.
Montana’s shift so differently in environments - it’s hard to compare. That part and color are all personal taste.

This one you have is gaining size for (IMO) the faceting, that thick girdle, possibly muddy color - can’t tell on video.

Thanks! I checked out Gemfix, really beautiful sapphires, but a little out of our budget :(

mdi

Shiny_Rock
I'm inclined towards teal, blue/green, or sea(mermaid) green. I haven't fixated on a color, but I know that I don't want a royal blue sapphire. Parti sapphires look really cool too, but I think those will be out of our budget. Thanks for looking, I appreciate your help so much!

There's a couple cool pieces at Westview Gems at the moment (I believe they are on the approved vendor list) -- if you're into a checkerboard cut:
http://www.stevorocks.com/Home/Detail/1878409
http://www.stevorocks.com/Home/Detail/3232912

Personally I think the second one's a bit dark -- I'm just leaving work at the moment, but I'll post anything else interesting if I come across it.

mdi

Shiny_Rock
P.S. Parti sapphires aren't necessarily out of budget -- I got a really cool orange-lavender one for my engagement ring for under $600 (will post pics soon as we will be setting it in the next few months).

mdi

Shiny_Rock

mdi

Shiny_Rock
Worth asking for handshots in different lighting?
678A0587-728A-4DBC-AD1F-71173CFBB9D4.jpeg https://www.etsy.com/listing/643764133/natural-parti-sapphire-green-yellow

Ooh that's a nice color -- ask for a video too! Be forewarned that Montana sapphires especially are very shifty in different lighting conditions.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your budget? I don't like the original stone you posted very much, because it looks windowed and grey. I definitely wouldn't pay anywhere close to the asking price for it. I like the one that @Rfisher posted! What size are you looking for, and what is your max budget?

Nuzhat Majid

Rough_Rock
Also, I suspect this will be a better color for about the same price and size -- https://blaze-n-gems.myshopify.com/collections/montana-sapphires/products/1-94-soft-silk-blue

OMG, my partner and I were just looking at this sapphire! It's so beautiful! I'll email him.
Also thank you again for all the helpful information. Checkboard is not really my style, but looks pretty unique. Please keep me posted if you find anything!

But again, his photos are absolute trash -- I ordered some pear side stones from him and they are 1000x better in real life. Also, you can always email and negotiate a bit! He does run a 25% off sale once in awhile and gave me that discount on my pears.

Nuzhat Majid

Rough_Rock
Sorry this was from my phone and I messed up the formatting :cry2:

Nuzhat Majid

Rough_Rock
Worth asking for handshots in different lighting?
678A0587-728A-4DBC-AD1F-71173CFBB9D4.jpeg https://www.etsy.com/listing/643764133/natural-parti-sapphire-green-yellow

This is beautiful! . Seriously considering to buy this!

Nuzhat Majid

Rough_Rock
What is your budget? I don't like the original stone you posted very much, because it looks windowed and grey. I definitely wouldn't pay anywhere close to the asking price for it. I like the one that @Rfisher posted! What size are you looking for, and what is your max budget?
Hi, I'm looking for round cut 7-7.5 mm sapphire in teal, green-blue or the color changing patri ones. We don't want to go over $1200 for the sapphire. Please let me know if you find anything!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Just 2 cents on seller sapphire pal- I've bought from him and returned the stone for not looking as good in real life. ..and he's in Australia. Return was smooth, but US to and from Australia=time & money. Just a heads up. The sapphire looks good in his pic though.
This is smaller than you wanted, 6.5mm, but teal colored and under budget.
20190723_190804.png

https://www.etsy.com/listing/672215838/119-ct-teal-blue-montana-sapphire-65mm

I really like the Mastercut sapphire too. That vendor is trusted here, posts honest pics and they are super nice, easy to work with.

Nuzhat Majid

Rough_Rock
This is a weird one, but I kind of like it! See the video:
https://www.mastercutgems.com/Produ..._Natural_Sapphire_2_18_ct_-Gem.php?FromPage=2

video link: https://www.facebook.com/mastercutg...880307001150/1897879077001273/?type=3&theater

It's like green to yellow and super unique (IMHO). They very often run sales and are super nice people. If 1200 is your max, it's worth asking Dana/Rachelle if they can be a bit flexible on price.
Thanks you so much for this! I love this one. I sent Dana a Facebook message. Hopefully they'll consider to give me some discount.

Nuzhat Majid

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for giving me all these resources and helpful advice. I am truly grateful. What an amazing community. I will post pictures once I decide on a sapphire :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results