shape
carat
color
clarity

Let's talk about CS projects in progress

voce

Ideal_Rock
I have a reddish pink spinel bling ring project currently underway. I got the 7x6 oval and 10 3x2 ovals in late December (purchased) / early January (received). At the time of the purchase I was excited about the prospect of an all-Burmese red/pink spinel inner circle tone on tone look, with white diamonds on the outer ring. Yvonne then got me this pair of Burmese spinels to go on the sides in Tucson in February. I worry they are more pink than red, but this was the best available at Tucson. I think it'll only get more and more difficult to get a whole color matched set of Burmese red/pink spinels. I hope Yvonne's right that once set, the differences in the color will not be distracting. Keeping my fingers crossed for this ring!
1583282331346.png
1583282381857.png
1583281910260.png

I'm sure some of you have projects in the works. Lately I haven't heard much about new projects in the CS forums, so I hope me sharing mine leads others to post theirs, too.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh @voce
That’s going to be very very pretty!
Do you have the pears in hand yet?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That design looks so cool!

Does stalking a stone online count as in process? If so, I'm currently obsessed with this fancy gray diamond and daydreaming all sorts of weird ways to set it into a pendant :razz: If I ever pull the trigger I will be returning for help and ideas and opinions! lol

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I'm about to receive my pad and am deciding on how to set it as a necklace pendant. Is it ok to request some inspire pics here lol? Something flowy, organic feeling, but also streamlined.

Also, rose or white gold?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing for me, just vicariously living through all of your awesome projects.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@voce That ring has tempted me many times as I love the setting...can't way to see your finished ring!

No pictures

I also just started another Lily ring with Yvonne. Green paraiba center, hauyne leaves with tiny pink sapphires on the outer edges...pulling my favorite colors and stones into one piece.

Not having anything new for awhile, I took my box of unset stones to my local jeweler and picked through his used settings. Nothing fancy but was able to put together a few rings cost effectively...so I can at least enjoy looking at them out of the gem box
- Set my inexpensive grandiderites in a 3 stone ring.
- Mahenge spinel cabachon from katharath bezel set with diamond shoulders
- I had three small Russian alexandrite stones from Dudley Blauwet that I didn't know what to do with. He had a simple 18k yellow gold channel set band in his scrap they would fit in with alternating diamonds.
- Pink Garnet from Precision Gem set in a simple WG setting

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am hoping to set my Rubellite from Jeff W at long last this year.

I had thought about a ring-pendant design in a flower design with paved diamond petals. However, I am hoping to add a simple metal-only brooch setting of branches and leaves to the mix so that I can get more wear out of the flower head. Inspiration designs that I have in mind:

Unfortunately, the bench I use in China cannot make a brooch setting.

Since I am going to meet up with a bench in London next week about setting my mum's MRB in a bangle, I thought I could make enquiries at the same time whether it is feasible to make a ring-pendant-brooch piece (if you know what I mean).

This could be my only CS setting project for this year, as it will be £££ in addition to the diamond bangle project in Platinum!!!

Having said that, I have 3 CS projects with JW. I have fully paid for a small pink-red Ruby (still to be cut), and have paid the deposit to secure (i) the neon-pink Sapphire he found in Tucson last month for recut (should be 7mm round), and (ii) the rough of a ? 1-2ct pink-red Mahenge Spinel he also picked up in Tucson last month (should be an EC).

Once he knows the dimensions of the finished Mahenge Spinel, I shall ask him to cut a pair of step cut traps in white Sapphires so that I could make it into a 3-stone ring (he has set aside some suitable white Sapphires for me already).

That should be it for CS this year!!! Famous last words I know! :Up_to_something: :bigsmile:

If I have the spare pennies, I shall set some more existing CSs in inexpensive settings. ;))

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure some of you have projects in the works. Lately I haven't heard much about new projects in the CS forums, so I hope me sharing mine leads others to post theirs, too.

I have mentioned my Rubellite project and asked for setting inspiration for a square cushion Mahenge Spinel that is no longer needed as it will be an EC instead, and I already know what I like for ECs.

Looking forward to see your finished ring - the pears are gorgeous!!! :kiss2:

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
My recent project was getting some of my colored stone rough faceted into gemstones. The step after that will be jewelry :)

Rough sourced from multiple places. Faceting work done by Jim Buday/@shinypreciousgems

B731881C-831C-48EC-9189-2F321281DF1B.png

Merelani Mint Garnet

5.6 ct rough -> 2.23 ct gemstone (40% yield)

The first piece of rough I purchased, and it turned out spectacular! Beautifully clean and bright, shifting blue green and yellow green depending on the light, sometimes looking positively electric. Had some black inclusions on the surface that went a bit deep, but removing them still left an nice amount of depth.

Tanzanian Kornerupine

3.75 ct rough -> 1.12 ct gemstone (32% yield)

Mermaid shades of blue green tealy goodness. In an fat pear design! From a chromium-rich parcel from the new deposit. I'm thrilled to have such a collector stone, and in over 1 ct :)

Mahenge Spinel

4.425 ct rough -> ERROR, RESULT NOT FOUND

This one I’m saddest about. A fantastic color...but problems occurred. First discovering a big internal fissure and then the orange iron stains revealing crack after crack. “The cracks dont just end they are like chips held together by magic." So RIP lil spinel. I've discovered one of the risks that comes with purchasing rough, and I've got a keen lesson in why beautiful faceted gemstones can be pricey.

2 out of 3 isn’t bad, right? Nowwww...how to set thegarnet and the kornerupine?

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I bought a small alex that Yvonne is making into a Penelope pendant, surrounded by pink spinel pave. She's also going to design some sort of ring with the paraiba pear pair :lol-2: I bought. I have no idea what it will be.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone :wavey: ,being inspired by all the wonderful projects I have been looking at the possibility of sourcing some rough and getting it faceted.
Being a newbie I have absolutely no idea on the price of lapidary work. If anyone could kindly share approximate costings of getting their rough faceted I would be really grateful! =)2
We also do not seem to have many options for lapidary services in the UK unfortunately.
I am thinking of saving and commissioning a pendant project as I have so many rings!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone :wavey: ,being inspired by all the wonderful projects I have been looking at the possibility of sourcing some rough and getting it faceted.
Being a newbie I have absolutely no idea on the price of lapidary work. If anyone could kindly share approximate costings of getting their rough faceted I would be really grateful! =)2
We also do not seem to have many options for lapidary services in the UK unfortunately.
I am thinking of saving and commissioning a pendant project as I have so many rings!

I am in the UK, and import gems from abroad.

I have not sourced and purchased roughs without them being cut. Therefore, I cannot comment on the cost of cutting alone, sorry.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I haven’t set much lately. The local jeweler I trust to set my stones has become increasingly in demand and I sense he struggles to find the time to set my stones in settings I purchased elsewhere when he has expensive custom jobs lined up, which I completely understand! I’m so happy for him, it has just put a damper on me getting around to setting stones.

I took a leap and ordered a couple of settings from James Allen during their 25% off sale and sent a couple of sapphires I purchased from Gene to them to set. They should be back to me in the next couple of weeks. I have never had them set a CS, so I’m a little nervous, but I‘m hoping all goes well!
The purplish-pink sapphire and setting:
54FFD3E6-49DF-4F3F-8144-F9AD2E6E51A6.jpeg
5B970FBD-1566-4E9F-839A-569AF0D21075.jpeg

The periwinkle sapphire and setting:
D6823865-216D-45B1-B3E0-615A5C633300.jpeg 34283028-4BAF-410D-9C50-A75A097A3642.jpeg

I also am switching out a blue sapphire for a spess garnet in a Yvonne Sunflower ring with Mahenge Spinel petals melee, to have a stronger pop of color.

After that, I am going to try to take a break from buying and setting and figure out what my end goals are.
I’m exited to see everyone’s projects!

Last edited:

shelovesinclusions

Shiny_Rock
I have a reddish pink spinel bling ring project currently underway. I got the 7x6 oval and 10 3x2 ovals in late December (purchased) / early January (received). At the time of the purchase I was excited about the prospect of an all-Burmese red/pink spinel inner circle tone on tone look, with white diamonds on the outer ring. Yvonne then got me this pair of Burmese spinels to go on the sides in Tucson in February. I worry they are more pink than red, but this was the best available at Tucson. I think it'll only get more and more difficult to get a whole color matched set of Burmese red/pink spinels. I hope Yvonne's right that once set, the differences in the color will not be distracting. Keeping my fingers crossed for this ring!
1583282331346.png
1583282381857.png
1583281910260.png

I love your lovely pink/red gems. Personally, I like when red ones shift to a pink in some lights because they stay bright all the time. I also love the Cecile Raley design, and your ring is going to be great! I admire her (and her business growth) so much. I think it would be so amazing to be able to cast out my own designs someday.

I have a few things I'm putting together, but they aren't nearly as classy as yours (pretty much just putting my collection in simple 925 settings). May I share those, too? I don't want to sully the waters with my plain, self-set stuff if it's for more artistic endeavors.

shelovesinclusions

Shiny_Rock
My recent project was getting some of my colored stone rough faceted into gemstones. The step after that will be jewelry :)

Rough sourced from multiple places. Faceting work done by Jim Buday/@shinypreciousgems

Merelani Mint Garnet

The first piece of rough I purchased, and it turned out spectacular! Beautifully clean and bright, shifting blue green and yellow green depending on the light, sometimes looking positively electric. Had some black inclusions on the surface that went a bit deep, but removing them still left an nice amount of depth.

Tanzanian Kornerupine

Mermaid shades of blue green tealy goodness. In an fat pear design! From a chromium-rich parcel from the new deposit. I'm thrilled to have such a collector stone, and in over 1 ct :)

Mahenge Spinel

This one I’m saddest about. A fantastic color...but problems occurred. First discovering a big internal fissure and then the orange iron stains revealing crack after crack. “The cracks dont just end they are like chips held together by magic." So RIP lil spinel. I've discovered one of the risks that comes with purchasing rough, and I've got a keen lesson in why beautiful faceted gemstones can be pricey.

Wow! Your kornerupine is gorgeous. I really didn't know they could be so pretty.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@MissSarah Alot of my collection is set in silver too. But I like to think that you can work on a budget and still enjoy jewellery and coloured stones! =)2 Ebay surfing for bargains is one of my fave pastimes! My avatar is an Oregon sunstone in gold bought for under £100. ;)2

shelovesinclusions

Shiny_Rock
@MissSarah Alot of my collection is set in silver too. But I like to think that you can work on a budget and still enjoy jewellery and coloured stones! =)2 Ebay surfing for bargains is one of my fave pastimes! My avatar is an Oregon sunstone in gold bought for under £100. ;)2

Yes! I love eBay bargain hunting. It's so much fun.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock

Depends on the type and size of material, location of the lapidary, and the lapidary themselves. Pricing anywhere from $50-$500+

Wow! Your kornerupine is gorgeous. I really didn't know they could be so pretty.
Thank you! Most can look pretty underwhelming, but some of the new deposit was super rich in chromium and looked lovely.

korn.jpg
(both kornerupine, chromium++ version on the left)

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took a leap and ordered a couple of settings from James Allen during their 25% off sale and sent a couple of sapphires I purchased from Gene to them to set. They should be back to me in the next couple of weeks. I have never had them set a CS, so I’m a little nervous, but I‘m hoping all goes well!

Ooo I can't wait to see them!
Have you had good experiences with James Allen before?

voce

Ideal_Rock
I love your lovely pink/red gems. Personally, I like when red ones shift to a pink in some lights because they stay bright all the time. I also love the Cecile Raley design, and your ring is going to be great! I admire her (and her business growth) so much. I think it would be so amazing to be able to cast out my own designs someday.

I have a few things I'm putting together, but they aren't nearly as classy as yours (pretty much just putting my collection in simple 925 settings). May I share those, too? I don't want to sully the waters with my plain, self-set stuff if it's for more artistic endeavors.

Of course, please share! When I was getting started I purchased stones less than $100 and set them myself in 925 silver. It's only that I got lazy and didn't want to clean the silver anymore that I stopped wearing them. It took almost a year on PS before I had something custom cast with my own design. I'd love to see what you're about to set.

shelovesinclusions

Shiny_Rock
I'm in the middle of an arthritis flare, but hopefully I'll get these finished by the end of summer. It's really just a matter of getting out the flex shaft, but my hands are so not up to the task right now.

A pastel spinel pansy ring
IMG_20200304_115253~2.jpg

A BE-heated corundum
IMG_20200304_115606~2.jpg

And these ones I have to work on more.

I haven't decided on bezels or prongs to make these ruby & tourmaline earrings yet. And I can't decide if I should go on the hunt for a matching ruby or just take advantage of what I have laying around...

IMG_20200304_115028~2.jpg

This will be a multi-length chain pendant on a loop. The rabbit is emotional to me. When I was a little girl (35 years ago), my parents took me to the state Fair and told me I was allowed to pick one thing while we were there. He's what I picked. I have no idea how I held onto him for so long, but found him in a box of childhood treasures my dad had been holding onto before he passed away. The little sapphire eyes fell out, but I reguilded him and will glue in some stones from where they're missing. I think the jade pepper & squash will make a cute garden theme.

IMG_20200304_120152~2.jpg

Thanks for letting me share. Honestly, you guys are the only people I'd share this stuff with. My friends and family get a glazed eye look when I talk about gems. I have so much gratitude for the PS community.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@MissSarah These are awesome! I particularly like the pansy ring, right up my street! :kiss2:Did you source the setting of make it?
I would love to set my own stones. I plan on going on some training soon to learn how to work with silver clay. =)2

shelovesinclusions

Shiny_Rock
@MissSarah These are awesome! I particularly like the pansy ring, right up my street! :kiss2:Did you source the setting of make it?
I would love to set my own stones. I plan on going on some training soon to learn how to work with silver clay. =)2

I did not make the pansy ring. I purchased it from a Thai vendor on Etsy. Please share your experience with silver clay training when you do it. I've wanted a metal clay kiln for years, but always spent my fun money on stones instead of tools.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just paid a visit to the firm carrying out my camper van conversion to finalise the spec of the van, and I shan't have any spare pennies left!

DK :oops2::roll2::lol-2:

voce

Ideal_Rock
That design looks so cool!

Does stalking a stone online count as in process? If so, I'm currently obsessed with this fancy gray diamond and daydreaming all sorts of weird ways to set it into a pendant :razz: If I ever pull the trigger I will be returning for help and ideas and opinions! lol
I hope you'll let us know if something happens with that fancy gray diamond!
@voce That ring has tempted me many times as I love the setting...can't way to see your finished ring!

No pictures

I also just started another Lily ring with Yvonne. Green paraiba center, hauyne leaves with tiny pink sapphires on the outer edges...pulling my favorite colors and stones into one piece.

Not having anything new for awhile, I took my box of unset stones to my local jeweler and picked through his used settings. Nothing fancy but was able to put together a few rings cost effectively...so I can at least enjoy looking at them out of the gem box
- Set my inexpensive grandiderites in a 3 stone ring.
- Mahenge spinel cabachon from katharath bezel set with diamond shoulders
- I had three small Russian alexandrite stones from Dudley Blauwet that I didn't know what to do with. He had a simple 18k yellow gold channel set band in his scrap they would fit in with alternating diamonds.
- Pink Garnet from Precision Gem set in a simple WG setting
How could you have no pictures? Would love to see photos once these projects are done!

I am hoping to set my Rubellite from Jeff W at long last this year.

I had thought about a ring-pendant design in a flower design with paved diamond petals. However, I am hoping to add a simple metal-only brooch setting of branches and leaves to the mix so that I can get more wear out of the flower head. Inspiration designs that I have in mind:

Flower Ring Pendant.JPG

Unfortunately, the bench I use in China cannot make a brooch setting.

Since I am going to meet up with a bench in London next week about setting my mum's MRB in a bangle, I thought I could make enquiries at the same time whether it is feasible to make a ring-pendant-brooch piece (if you know what I mean).

This could be my only CS setting project for this year, as it will be £££ in addition to the diamond bangle project in Platinum!!!

Having said that, I have 3 CS projects with JW. I have fully paid for a small pink-red Ruby (still to be cut), and have paid the deposit to secure (i) the neon-pink Sapphire he found in Tucson last month for recut (should be 7mm round), and (ii) the rough of a ? 1-2ct pink-red Mahenge Spinel he also picked up in Tucson last month (should be an EC).

Once he knows the dimensions of the finished Mahenge Spinel, I shall ask him to cut a pair of step cut traps in white Sapphires so that I could make it into a 3-stone ring (he has set aside some suitable white Sapphires for me already).

That should be it for CS this year!!! Famous last words I know! :Up_to_something: :bigsmile:

If I have the spare pennies, I shall set some more existing CSs in inexpensive settings. ;))

Well, I look forward to seeing you set those. A ring-pendant-brooch piece would be glorious, but it also sounds like it would cost a pretty penny to custom-make. ;)2

Merelani Mint Garnet

Tanzanian Kornerupine

Mahenge Spinel

Do you wear man pendants? I think the shape of the kornerupine would lend itself better to a pendant, but honestly I can see both the garnet and kornerupine tension set into a man's ring.

I haven’t set much lately. The local jeweler I trust to set my stones has become increasingly in demand and I sense he struggles to find the time to set my stones in settings I purchased elsewhere when he has expensive custom jobs lined up, which I completely understand! I’m so happy for him, it has just put a damper on me getting around to setting stones.

The purplish-pink sapphire and setting:
54FFD3E6-49DF-4F3F-8144-F9AD2E6E51A6.jpeg
5B970FBD-1566-4E9F-839A-569AF0D21075.jpeg

The periwinkle sapphire and setting:
D6823865-216D-45B1-B3E0-615A5C633300.jpeg 34283028-4BAF-410D-9C50-A75A097A3642.jpeg

I also am switching out a blue sapphire for a spess garnet in a Yvonne Sunflower ring with Mahenge Spinel petals melee, to have a stronger pop of color.

After that, I am going to try to take a break from buying and setting and figure out what my end goals are.
I’m exited to see everyone’s projects!
Wow, I love those sapphires! And I'd love to see before and after pics of the sunflower ring. At some point I'm going to set the spess trillion I got from you with rubies. Thinking of going with Yvonne's Gatsby design and having another jeweler set the spess garnet in it. Not necessarily happening this year, depending on whether I go ahead with some other projects.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
Do you wear man pendants? I think the shape of the kornerupine would lend itself better to a pendant, but honestly I can see both the garnet and kornerupine tension set into a man's ring.

I do! The korn also has a little bit of a cleavage plane to it, so a pendant may be safer.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Ooh @voce
That’s going to be very very pretty!
Do you have the pears in hand yet?

Thank you Rfisher. I'm not going to receive the pears in hand because I'm trusting Yvonne and minimizing shipping costs.

I did have another pair of Burmese red spinels with Inken, and the project with Inken was waiting on Yvonne to see if that pair would be a better match. They were a better match in terms of color but too large for the Clarisse, so I'm just going with what Yvonne thinks would work best instead of waffling and adding to the expense by shipping the stones to me and me shipping it back to Yvonne, which would also delay the project.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@voce I decided to order it to check out in person. After a lot of thought and number crunching I realized I’d regret losing out on such a unique diamond at a good price

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Still waiting on my medium Lily dangle leverbacks from Yvonne. Details finalized and 50% paid on December 30th. She apologized last week for the wait. Trying not to fret too much—I’m not in a hurry but I want to love them and wear them NOW, lol. I will start a whole thread on them once they arrive!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results