shape
carat
color
clarity

"Just get something vintage..." Oh, were it that easy!

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
So a while back, I posted about how my husband wanted to buy me a 15th anniversary ring but was reluctant to give me a budget for a variety of very well meaning, very stubborn and slightly dumb, reasons. Well, I have a budget now. It's 20000, with the option of going up to 25000 if I find something I can't live without. I'm shooting for 15K on the diamond and 2K on the setting.

Well, now my husband is set on the idea that I need something vintage. Yes, it makes a lot of sense. I like the old cuts and I have a quirky personality well suited to something non-traditional. I've been a collector of vintage kitchenware for decades. So I'm willing to go along with it, but I think it's going to be a lot more work and more money than he thinks.

R6394 10wy.jpg

This is my husband's inspo pick. I put my foot down on this, because the idea of trying to find 3 antique cushions that match well enough to go in a ring has me hyperventilating. But because he's so obsessed with antique cushions, I'm willing to compromise with half moon sides, if we can find a good center stone (having no luck)

D3030.jpg

This is my top choice. I could also see this with an antique pear or moval. It seems easy enough for a designer to recreate.

So, in case it isn't obvious, I'm hoping this process goes easily and painlessly. I'd love to have a vendor that can source old world stones AND make the setting. One stop shopping, y'all. Right now I'm obsessively stalking Love Affair Diamonds and Jewels by Grace. Is there any other PS approved vendor any of you have worked with or can recommend to do this project with me? I'm going to need someone personable, and, above all else, patient. I'll a pain in a half to work with, I'm sure.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there any other PS approved vendor any of you have worked with or can recommend to do this project with me? I'm going to need someone personable, and, above all else, patient

Well, Grace and Erica are wonderful and you should also consider Adam at Old World Diamonds. He has an amazing selection and he is a very honest and nice person to boot. His diamonds are top notch and he is super helpful and yes he is super patient too. Definitely if you are looking for your best options you should consider him as well.
Good luck and congrats on your very lovely sweet budget and get what *you* want! Not what your dh wants. He wants you to be happy so if you get what you want you both win!:appl:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey kudos on getting a budget figured out. I know it was tough but it’s REALLY going to help us hunt for you! :)

Should we be looking for a style that has an old cushion cut in the centre with baguette sides? Or...?

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will your husband marry me? OMG, I can't believe that he is spearheading this project. I actually love, love,love that inspiration ring and IMHO moons (which I love as side stones) won't satisfy the itch of the three stone antique cushion ring. See what you can come up with before you pull the plug on the design.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
... the idea of trying to find 3 antique cushions that match well enough to go in a ring has me hyperventilating.

Your story reminds a distinctive old diamond WWW & some revivals thereof WWW ...

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
Hey kudos on getting a budget figured out. I know it was tough but it’s REALLY going to help us hunt for you! :)

Should we be looking for a style that has an old cushion cut in the centre with baguette sides? Or...?

I think the way I want to go about this is to find the center stone first and then design the ring around it. The inspiration pics give some direction of our tastes, but I think it would be nice to have a ring I designed. Not going to lie, it'll probably take months and I'll drive this whole board crazy ;)2. Right now I'm still at the phase where everything is so pretty I can barely stand to choose!

I don't know enough about vintage cuts to pick one out right now, and I'm hoping to learn more. I love OEC, antique pears, OMC/antique cushions, and antique ovals. I'm ok with reproductions, like the August Vintage Cushion, but I think that's going to be out of my budget. I'd love to get close to 2 carats, but I'll settle for anything over 1. I would love H+ color and VS2+ clarity. I know I'm asking the world and I am willing to come lower on color for a true vintage stone. All I know for sure at this point is I want the band to be rose gold.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@vintageloves -

Here's a few photos of a ring I used to own. It had a 3.11 Old European cut center and is similar to your inspiration photo, but rather more well made. I'm including it in case it's of some use in the design process.

IMG_2326.JPG

IMG_2321 copy.JPG

IMG_2309.JPG

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm ok with reproductions, like the August Vintage Cushion, but I think that's going to be out of my budget. I'd love to get close to 2 carats, but I'll settle for anything over 1. I would love H+ color and VS2+ clarity. I know I'm asking the world and I am willing to come lower on color for a true vintage stone. All I know for sure at this point is I want the band to be rose gold.

Using a rose gold band you can probably get away with an H/I/J color if needed to help you get the size & clarity you seek.

The AV cushion I linked about was a 1.75 G VS2 for $16k. Most CvB designs are $2,500 to $3,500 so that put you right around the $20k mark all in.

Here are a few more AV cushions. I didn't see anything that exactly met your criteria of H+ and VS2+. You may want to talk with Rhino about what he has coming down the pipes. He might even be able to custom cut you something.

https://www.augustvintageinc.net/co...2-august-vintage-cushion-brilliant-4276-0166a

https://www.augustvintageinc.net/co...si1-august-vintage-cushion-brilliant-74154847

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
@vintageloves -

Here's a few photos of a ring I used to own. It had a 3.11 Old European cut center and is similar to your inspiration photo, but rather more well made. I'm including it in case it's of some use in the design process.

IMG_2326.JPG

IMG_2321 copy.JPG

IMG_2309.JPG

This is very pretty, and I actually like it better than my pic because the side rounds are first, meaning you can see more of the baguettes (or are they bullets?). I'm going to keep this in mind, thank you for sharing.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
Will your husband marry me? OMG, I can't believe that he is spearheading this project. I actually love, love,love that inspiration ring and IMHO moons (which I love as side stones) won't satisfy the itch of the three stone antique cushion ring. See what you can come up with before you pull the plug on the design.

Oh, you'll change your mind when you see his baseball card collection. LOL.

I couldn't really find many pictures of antique cushions with side stones. I thought side moons would be complimentary, but maybe not?

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
Something to consider during your search....cushions face up smaller than rounds (for the same carat weight).

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I echo the recommendation for Adam- he is very easy to work with and helpful. He also can create a setting for you based upon inspiration pictures or CVB is working with them directly with her settings as well if you like those.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
did anyone mention https://www.victorbarbone.com/? i don't have any personal experience with them but they seem to consistently have nice vintage finds. maybe they can search for your ideal ring.

agree with sledge that august vintage cushions could give you the look you are after without the hassle of hunting and with the bonus of newness, they have made some nice custom settings and also work with cvb that many here have used.

how exciting! i hope you find the perfect thing, and soon!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
agree with sledge that august vintage cushions could give you the look you are after without the hassle of hunting and with the bonus of newness, they have made some nice custom settings and also work with cvb that many here have used.

how exciting! i hope you find the perfect thing, and soon!

I might add that an AV will also provide you an IDEAL cut cushion. All the beauty of the old plus that modified for maximum brilliance.

https://www.augustvintageinc.net/pages/the-august-vintage-cushion

Did you actually invent the "ideal vintage cushion cut" or did you just invent the name "August Vintage"?
Contrary to what anyone says, I did actually invent the "Ideal" vintage cushion cut, more commonly known as the Old Mine Cut. Even though AGS technically owns the term "Ideal" within the trade, the August Vintage Cushion was optically designed around their very definition of the term and my years of working with optical technologies including AGS' own Angular Spectrum Evaluation Tool (ASET). In fact when we submitted the first August Vintage diamonds to AGS Laboratories they were not going to grant August Vintage Cushions the status of "Ideal" for optical properties because of the culet facet which is a point of leakage on a diamond. After debating with the scientists at AGS and pointing out that other fancy shaped diamonds had leakage => the size of the culet in AVC's, AGS recognized the flaw in their prohibition, changed their minds and decided that what we had developed was in fact the best possible optics one could attain from the old mine brilliant facet structure.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
So, thanks to your recs, I have some new designers to stalk. My housework is getting painfully neglected. :)

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@vintageloves -

IMG_2326.JPG

IMG_2321 copy.JPG

IMG_2309.JPG

Love this ring! Do you have any gallery view pictures, my engagement ring is somewhat similar and i'm liking how the baguette comes to a v on the sides.

Thank you!

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Love this ring! Do you have any gallery view pictures, my engagement ring is somewhat similar and i'm liking how the baguette comes to a v on the sides.

Thank you!

nevermind! found the thread, what a lovely ring!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I visited OWD with Missy in July. He’s got a fantastic inventory of diamonds to suit all budgets, and is very honest with his opinions, and there was certainly no pressure to buy at all.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
I contacted LAD about an antique pear and haven't heard back yet.

August Vintage is starting to cut lab diamonds! Unfortunately, though, he hasn't indicated he would cut the antique cushion, but H&A rounds and cushions. Boo.

I'm now stalking several new instagram feeds. I'm totally bummed that there was an antique jewelry show in Baltimore a month ago and I missed it. I would love the chance to see all these pieces in person. It's hard to fall in love with a ring online.

I keep seeing "chip" on the GIA reports in the inclusion area. Should I rule out diamonds with chips, or does it depend on where the chip is located?

Q

Queenie60

I contacted LAD about an antique pear and haven't heard back yet.

August Vintage is starting to cut lab diamonds! Unfortunately, though, he hasn't indicated he would cut the antique cushion, but H&A rounds and cushions. Boo.

I'm now stalking several new instagram feeds. I'm totally bummed that there was an antique jewelry show in Baltimore a month ago and I missed it. I would love the chance to see all these pieces in person. It's hard to fall in love with a ring online.

I keep seeing "chip" on the GIA reports in the inclusion area. Should I rule out diamonds with chips, or does it depend on where the chip is located?
I highly recommend Adam at OWD. Also, CVB can source matching side stones for you. She has great connections and in my opinion is a top notch ring/jewelry designer. Wishing you luck with your search.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
No advice for you but happy that you have confirmed a generous budget and your husband has taken an interest in the project. Might cramp your style a little but you will both be delighted at the end I’m sure.

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
Happy to hear that you have a budget and an enthusiastic husband.

You should absolutely take your time to figure out what you want. For me, the journey is half the fun.

I would also recommend Adam at OWD. I purchased my antique cushion from him. He has a great eye, which I would trust over the specs in a GIA report any time.

Given your generous budget, consider finding a place where you can try on lots of different rings to gauge your preferences. Take lots of photos with those rings on your hand for later viewing.

I was lucky enough to be able to visit Lang Antiques in SF. Fabulous store and wonderful employees.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
Happy to hear that you have a budget and an enthusiastic husband.

You should absolutely take your time to figure out what you want. For me, the journey is half the fun.

I would also recommend Adam at OWD. I purchased my antique cushion from him. He has a great eye, which I would trust over the specs in a GIA report any time.

Given your generous budget, consider finding a place where you can try on lots of different rings to gauge your preferences. Take lots of photos with those rings on your hand for later viewing.

I was lucky enough to be able to visit Lang Antiques in SF. Fabulous store and wonderful employees.

This is an excellent suggestion. I found an antique jeweler an hourish from where we live, and I'm going to see if I can tempt my husband into a road trip. I'm always reluctant to shop in person, because online deals are so good, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to check it out.

Oh, hello there beautiful.
41431-Edwardian-Halo-Diamond-Engagement-Ring_e7162074-2508-4213-9999-53550ea48591_compact.jpg

I also love this classic style from the 1960s
40468_Vintage_Diamond_Engagement_Ring_1.59ct_compact.jpg

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
I took the advice of a poster here and visited an antique jewelry store and took pictures of me wearing rings. None of the diamonds were certified, which I'm not comfortable with, but it gave me some great ideas.

1020181500.jpg

This is edwardian, .65 ct antique marquise with rose cut melee, platinum head and gold band. Easily my favorite, but my husband thinks it would be better as a right hand ring. So now I'm 100% planning to have this recreated with modern stones (maybe by David Klass?) in the next 6 months or so. I seem to be progressing on every possible jewelry product except the one I'm supposed to be working on. Sigh.

1020181458c.jpg

This was a 2.55ct K antique pear with baguettes. It turns out the tint didn't bother me too much and I was much more bothered by it being listed as SI2 with no cert, and thus no inclusion map. It turns out the elongated shapes look great on me: pear, marquise, emerald, and I'm guessing oval although I didn't get to try one. I really liked this ring. It's three stone, but still gives me a central focus with the large pear. Like the marquise, it's very me with the combination of slightly modern, slightly antique, and an uncommon diamond shape.

1020181503c.jpg

Edwardian OEC solitaires. My husband's favorites, but I think they're too young/engagement-y for me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results