carat
color
clarity

Jewels are a Luxury Product

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just want to put this out there, because I see people doing these things:

1. Going over their budget. I'll admit I did this.
2. Borrowing money to buy jewels.
3. Asking other people to help buy jewels for them. In my opinion only acceptable if they're married or dating the other person. Even family: save the favor for something more important like a down payment on a house or a college payment.
4. Getting in fights with their SOs over jewels. Even if they're dating or married, it's not worth fighting over.

Jewels are a luxury product. We can't eat them. We can't live in them. We can't pay our taxes with them. This is an enthusiast forum and I'm sure most of us spend a bigger proportion of our disposable incomes on jewels because they're a hobby for us and that's fine, but they shouldn't be the highest priority.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jewels are a luxury product. We can't eat them. We can't live in them. We can't pay our taxes with them. This is an enthusiast forum and I'm sure most of us spend a bigger proportion of our disposable incomes on jewels because they're a hobby for us and that's fine, but they shouldn't be the highest priority.
I think you are posting on the wrong forum. :Up_to_something: There are more important things in life than diamonds? :confused:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t get it. Why’re you telling us this? I haven’t seen any PSer talk about borrowing money to buy jewelry?

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:mrgreen:I've never been in a fight with my husband over jewelry! He loves to see the enjoyment I get over my collection!

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don’t understand the point of this post! I have never seen here anyone post about borrowing money to buy jewelry.
I think most of the people here are responsible grown up people, who spend only, what they can afford.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The world is full of nonessential things that people spend too much money on.

I recently bought some VC&A jewelry to make a nice earring/necklace/bracelet set. After each purchase I've received a very nice hand written note from someone at their corporate headquarters. My husband found the last note and did some editing. "We think you've bought enough" was added - and he was even able to match the ink color perfectly and he did a pretty good job copying the handwriting style. I was totally impressed and told him so.

That's the extent of our fighting over jewelry.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The world is full of nonessential things that people spend too much money on.

I recently bought some VC&A jewelry to make a nice earring/necklace/bracelet set. After each purchase I've received a very nice hand written note from someone at their corporate headquarters. My husband found the last note and did some editing. "We think you've bought enough" was added - and he was even able to match the ink color perfectly and he did a pretty good job copying the handwriting style. I was totally impressed and told him so.

That's the extent of our fighting over jewelry.

:lol::lol::lol:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have never once gone over budget, or used credit to buy jewelry. Hence, I do not have a great collection. Yes, it's a luxury. Something you can indulge in after everything else is taken care of. At least that's the way everyone here does it afaik.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe by borrow money they mean credit cards?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t understand the point of this post! I have never seen here anyone post about borrowing money to buy jewelry.
I think most of the people here are responsible grown up people, who spend only, what they can afford.
Speak for yourself! :whistle::P2

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I DESPERATELY want a pair of winter slippers but my green hippy self will not let me buy a pair and contribute to landfill so I am wearing old socks around the house. I tell myself I will be allowed to buy a pair when I've worn holes in my socks.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Just want to put this out there, because I see people doing these things:

3. Asking other people to help buy jewels for them. In my opinion only acceptable if they're married or dating the other person. Even family: save the favor for something more important like a down payment on a house or a college payment.
4. Getting in fights with their SOs over jewels. Even if they're dating or married, it's not worth fighting over.

Hahaha is #3 really an option?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't mind you posting this. I think everyone on this forum has a weakness over diamonds and gemstones, and to be truthful, it is easy to get swayed by a beautiful stone over reason and budget! Knowing myself, I have 2 competing impulses, one to try not to spend any money on anything nonessential and be frugal. And two, have a really nice diamond ring to rock (d*mm*t)! I don't need a ton of jewelry, but having one nice diamond ring, is an itch I can't seem to get rid of. I've had the habit of getting something for myself, then feel guilty, and then sell it because there are always "better" things to spend the money on. When in reality I am solvent, have money in the bank, etc. I think my only answer at this point, is to put money I have gotten as gifts or money that is extra in a jewelry "fund". Have it separate. And once it has been accrued, purchase the ring. And stop feeling guilty about it. Towards that end I may sell a couple more things in order to put that money in the "fund".

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
too many multiquotes, wasn't able to quote:
"Just want to put this out there, because I see people doing these things:

4. Getting in fights with their SOs over jewels. Even if they're dating or married, it's not worth fighting over."

I want to add 5. Ask family for family heirlooms! My Mom has a number of beautiful diamond and gemstone rings inherited from her grandmother, that she has in a safety deposit box. We've known about them since our 20's and 30's and Mom says they are going to be handed down to us. One time she even took us to the deposit box so we could look at them and pick which ones we wanted. But, she keeps delaying actually giving them to us! I'm 50 years old. I am a responsible adult. I sold the diamond ring I had from my marriage (long story). Though the stones are not particularly large nor are they ideal cut, I would LOVE to be able to wear one. Ugh!

Last edited:

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Now you tell me. Thanks a lot. o_O I thought the whole purpose of credit cards was to max them out.
Hear hear :whistle: Reason why I don't have high limit credit cards :mrgreen2:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So funny. My sweet husband will encourage me to spend way more than I should on jewelry. His mantra is "you work hard for your money, you deserve it." I could actually tell him I decided to use all our savings on a diamond and he would say "great."

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I want to add 5. Ask family for family heirlooms!

No on has focused on number 4. I came to agree that the fights were really a pain. When we were young and poor I didn't care about diamonds. My engagement ring was an 18K gold oval with two 1-point diamonds in its center and I loved it. But then, about three years into our marriage, I nagged my husband into buying me a ring with some 10-point diamonds in it in rows and I remember what an unpleasant experience that was. So when I became interested in diamonds, many years later, I always bought my own and kept the prices away from him. :))

I won't give up diamonds, but I will gladly give up discussing them with my husband. ;))

Deb
:saint:

latte_espresso

Rough_Rock
Premium
Love this post. It's ok to be completely rational.

Great friendly reminder as I'm definitely a victim of 1.

I think sometimes people are sucked in to the environment they surround themselves in, especially when you join a room/forum full of diamond enthusiasts.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I don't mind you posting this. I think everyone on this forum has a weakness over diamonds and gemstones, and to be truthful, it is easy to get swayed by a beautiful stone over reason and budget! Knowing myself, I have 2 competing impulses, one to try not to spend any money on anything nonessential and be frugal. And two, have a really nice diamond ring to rock (d*mm*t)! I don't need a ton of jewelry, but having one nice diamond ring, is an itch I can't seem to get rid of. I've had the habit of getting something for myself, then feel guilty, and then sell it because there are always "better" things to spend the money on. When in reality I am solvent, have money in the bank, etc. I think my only answer at this point, is to put money I have gotten as gifts or money that is extra in a jewelry "fund". Have it separate. And once it has been accrued, purchase the ring. And stop feeling guilty about it. Towards that end I may sell a couple more things in order to put that money in the "fund".

If it were my mom, and they were just sitting in a safe--and she didn't intend to wear them--I'd totally ask! My mom is pretty easy-going, though, and she wouldn't mind (or she'd tell me if she did).

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Simply put, jewels make me happy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results