shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeweler is giving me a hard time about setting a spinel

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had good experiences with this jeweler for the most part, he is a bit old school and set in his ways though. So when I bought an eight prong setting from another PS'er and wanted to set my OEC in it he said he didn't recommend it because it is better off in white gold than yellow gold because white gold is stronger...okay.

Then I set out to find a colored stone for this setting and thought a lavender spinel would be great. Went down to see him today to double check the measurements for the stone the setting can accomodate and he says he doesn't recommend spinel because it's fragile like glass and that if I wanted him set a spinel he would have me sign a waiver. He would rather set beryl in there like an amethyst or suggested garnet (I was internally rolling my eyes because these are both softer than a spinel)

So now I'm all messed up, does he just not know enough about spinel and then if that's the case is what he told me about the OEC needing to be in white gold garbage advice too?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry, but everything he's told you is bullsh*t. The idea that an oec needs white vs yellow gold is absurd. White gold is yellow gold with rhodium plating. If diamonds couldn't go in yellow gold, everyone with engagement rings in yellow gold would be in trouble. That's just nonsense. Unless you're asking for like 22/24ct gold, which is way too soft for daily wear. But 10/14/18ct gold is used all the time for diamonds.

And spinel is harder than beryl so he is just either incompetent or knows he's going to mess it up. I'd find a different jeweler.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since rhodium is hard and white gold is usually mixed with mroe stuff than yellow, it's true that technically white is more durable. But the idea that diamonds can't be set in yellow gold is just insane.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your insight @lovedogs, honestly I was willing to let the whole diamond issue slide because I was up in the air about switching the setting anyways and he didn't all out refuse to do it, he just didn't recommend it, I can live with that he is entitled to his opinion.

However today was just insane, spinel is not glass and I told him that, I also told him I have another spinel ring that does not have facet abrasions as he claimed would happen if he were to set it. It's just a bummer because like I said I have had nothing but good experience with this guy and he is reasonable but this whole spinel thing is too much. I did go to another jeweler in town to see if they will set the spinel for me but they are closed until tomorrow.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would stay away from that jeweler. Take his ignorance about colored stones as a warning sign. I can’t believe he refused to even set your OEC due to gold color. My jeweler will set anything for me, in any metal type or color. His only requirement is that it fit the setting so it’s secure.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your insight @lovedogs, honestly I was willing to let the whole diamond issue slide because I was up in the air about switching the setting anyways and he didn't all out refuse to do it, he just didn't recommend it, I can live with that he is entitled to his opinion.

However today was just insane, spinel is not glass and I told him that, I also told him I have another spinel ring that does not have facet abrasions as he claimed would happen if he were to set it. It's just a bummer because like I said I have had nothing but good experience with this guy and he is reasonable but this whole spinel thing is too much. I did go to another jeweler in town to see if they will set the spinel for me but they are closed until tomorrow.

Lol yes and amythest is not a type of beryl. He sounds sweet and clueless in this regaurd. I don't know if he would do damage per se, if he is treating it like glass then he is probably going to be extra careful. But I would let someone else who is more comfortable set it.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to go to another jeweler in town who has done work for me before and see what she says about setting a spinel for me. I think this guy doesn't really work with colored stones so better that I know that now than when it's too late!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Different jeweler asap. When I set my Spinel, my jeweler was like “Cool, should be ready next week.”

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Goodluck with that! All my spinels have been well set and intact by various jewellers so this is BS or else lackn of confidence on his part.

I hope you get to enjoy your new spinel ring soon!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So just an update that I did go to another jeweler in town that I have worked with before and she at least knew spinel is a gemstone but she thought it was quartz. She is at least open to the idea that she doesn't know everything about everything though.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you live in a decent size metropolitan area?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He is talking nonsense.
Why on earth does an OEC have to go in white gold? Is he talking about being “true” to the style ie antique rings with OEC diamonds were invariably set in white metal?
As for Spinel being tricky, no, not particularly. Maybe he doesn’t have much (any) experience with Spinel, maybe he is confusing it with Tanzanite which can be brittle and chip while setting?
Each to their own, Spinel is obviously out of his comfort zone so I’d find another jeweller to set your gem.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@T L we live in a small city in central Connecticut which is also a small state so options can be somewhat limited here.

@Bron357 He is this old school Italian guy who is very set in his ways, I don't think customers take him out of his comfort zone much.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When my Grandmother's engagement ring needed work my regular jeweler told me he wasn't comfortable working on it. He was concerned about porosity which might be a problem with older settings. So I found another local jeweler to rehab it.

I wouldn't push someone to do work outside of their comfort zone. Now I have a good relationship with a second local jeweler. :D

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Send your ring and diamond to David Klass his bench people will set anything without the drama and them ship it back to you.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Stone Hunter totally agree not to push someone outside their limits, it was just an eye opener to see how little he actually knew in the broad scope of things.

@arkieb1, I do hope to work with David Klass at some point but the other jeweler I found is willing to do whatever I want and actually gives me different options and ideas, she has done work for me before and was great so I'll be sticking with her.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some jewelers only know and/or feel comfortable with diamonds.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get tired of my local jewellers overcharging and not knowing much about CS that I save up the work, then ship a small package to this jeweller I trust in another state.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results