color
clarity

JCK Vegas 2019

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Hello Everyone,

I am currently in Vegas at the JCK show.

I plan to post about it as I attend it.

If any one has any questions or want to see something let me know.

I would also like to encourage any trade that are attending to contribute as well.

This year lab grown diamonds appear to be the main conversations.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Is this open for public?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have fun!

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
As a general policy. It is not open to the public.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Videos of the Sirrus Star cushion and oval please? They are in the luxury section.
More options for nicely cut fancy cuts

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
Antique asschers if you can find any! Thanks

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for feeding our appetites for lots of info! :))

I am interested in the MMD discussions, especially in terms of new cut developments they might be providing opportunities for, and whether there's any identification of the opportunity for cutters to be 'the brand' rather than just the material itself! (in the same way that we have branded SuperIdeals and antique cuts in Mined material, I guess!)

My (lack of :( :lol: ) budget is also interested in whether MMD rough is enabling increased automation of the cutting of (near-) PS-quality stones of all shapes (and therefore more repeatable results and lower costs) :)

I am also wondering if there will be any discussion of direct-to-consumer sales by producers/cutting houses (whether they be one-and-the-same company or separate), in a similar vein as has happened in other industries.

And, of course, what the current industry view is on the Mined diamond market in terms of customer perception and long-term differentiation from MMDs!

:)

(I'm not expecting or demanding specific answers, of course :lol:, I'm just braindumping things I think they might discuss that could be interesting! :)) )

Last edited:

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
The lab-grown diamond section is much larger this year as opposed to others. They are being more accepted then in previous years.

Several Vendors are interested in PS.

What do you guys think about having a lab-grown diamond search on PS?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The lab-grown diamond section is much larger this year as opposed to others. They are being more accepted then in previous years.

Ooh, interesting!

I think you know what my view is going to be... ;)) :lol:

I think a MMD search tool would be really useful - at the moment the list of vendors is quite long in the thread in the MMD/LGD section, but (personally speaking) I find some sites to have nothing listed, some with search tools that won't work for me (on Windoze I.E., so perhaps software issues), a range of presentation styles (so hard to compare across sites), and a lack of info that we need to undertake proper PS-style sleuthing and analysis (perhaps mainly because GCAL etc. might not be scanning stones and including the info on grading reports).

Anything that makes it easier to search and be an informed purchaser (or PS Enabler :) lol) is welcome in my book!

Having a 'central database' would also help analysis of pricing trends and identification of bargains, and if MRBs were able to be plugged into the HCA, that would be awesome.

I do appreciate PS has site sponsors, though, and my perception is that MMDs are not 100% welcome by all the PS and wider diamond community (which is entirely understandable and fair enough) so I understand that these things would have to be taken into account :)

Thank you for posing the question!

It's also cool to know that PS might potentially be having some influence in the wider markets by (hopefully!) being seen as an interesting and relevant customer base and 'focus group' - it's pretty ace to be able to indirectly 'speak' to important people in the industry that are reading our posts, even if they never actually sign up and/or reply :)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sure, why not?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sat and saw all the Mike Botha collection cut by Dhamanandan with his son Everet.
Very impressive. Only available in small quantites at a few B&M stores while they continue to perfect the cuts of which there are several.
The overarching theme is some old cut effects inside the table with modern brilliant appearances around the outer edges.
Very interesting and worth following. The samples were small nd these cuts would be best +1.5ct.
But they are complex with tight meet points and many tiny facets around the culet.

AV_

Ideal_Rock

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take lots of photos of everything, I want to see it all :lol::lol::lol::lol:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Light Box by De Beers plan to produce 200,000 carats a year in about 18months from their Portland factory they are building.
They did a great presentation.
Garry, what is the pricing as compared yo a natural?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lab grown search on PS would be awesome! Anything to help consumers become more informed and make better choices about stones is good in my book!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Garry, what is the pricing as compared yo a natural?
Have not been focused too much on $$$'s as clearly they are using natural and saying we are cheaper - but the profit margins are very high and with competition and the effect of Light Box when their production comes on line prices will drop. Maybe plummet.
Pricescope will help when we get our platform done, which Andrey will do "the right way". i.e. with full transparency etc.
A big factor is most CVD needs post HPHT treatment and as growers get better they will catch up with De Beers LB and produce +G out of the reactors.
But cheaper cutting and cheaper grading (or no need for grading) are also big $$$'s factors.
Will discuss more of that later.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love some of the Sirius Star stones! That's all I need is to find more specialty cuts to desire! :lol:

I am also interested in MMD, BUT....not unless the cut is great. I think that valuing cut quality is a hallmark of this forum, and I am really not interested in MMD with mediocre cut. I can see the potential, though, once prices fall, for MMD to be a good solution to create jewelry pieces that one might not otherwise be able to do. Great for young couples on a budget, too. But prices really need to drop further. Looking forward to that!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sort of bleh on the man made diamond thing - just think it undercuts vendors selling the real deal.

However, I am sure it will have a share of the market and since PS is all about education I suppose it would have its place provided that it doesn't intermingle with current sub forums.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love some of the Sirius Star stones! That's all I need is to find more specialty cuts to desire! :lol:

I am also interested in MMD, BUT....not unless the cut is great. I think that valuing cut quality is a hallmark of this forum, and I am really not interested in MMD with mediocre cut. I can see the potential, though, once prices fall, for MMD to be a good solution to create jewelry pieces that one might not otherwise be able to do. Great for young couples on a budget, too. But prices really need to drop further. Looking forward to that!

I completely agree. Right now I have little interest in MMD.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

After the pricing situation stabilizes sure why not.....
Right now, no way.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results