shape
carat
color
clarity

Italy - must see?

Q

Queenie60

We are going to Italy in May. Flying into Venice and making our way South to Rome. What recommendations do my fellow PS friends have? Towns? Sights? anything? I would appreciate your input.

Thank you.

Q

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Queenie60 - lucky you!

That's where we're planning to go for my birthday next year, tho focusing mainly on Florence. I'll be following this thread intently, trying to poach suggestions! :wavey:

Reactions: AV_
Q

Queenie60

@Queenie60 - lucky you!

That's where we're planning to go for my birthday next year, tho focusing mainly on Florence. I'll be following this thread intently, trying to poach suggestions! :wavey:
Great @mrs-b . PM me after mid June and I'll share my experience with you, gladly! I have somewhat of an idea as to what we will do - the biggest thing was to get the flights out of the way! Flying into Venice and out of Rome back to SFO. Never been to Italy, 15 days will be quite the experience. So excited! Q

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just general recs..going South from Venice you should definitely stop in and see Bologna, Florence, and Siena. We love all those cities. So much. It's been more than a decade since we visited but just chiming in that these are worth seeing.

I also love Milan but that will take you out of your way. Milan is shopping but they have a gorgeous cathedral and the original Leonardo Da Vinci The Last Supper. If you don't mind a little detour right outside of Florence I highly recommend San Gimignano. What a gorgeous medieval city on a hill.

And next trip you need to see Positano, Sorrento, Lake Como. All amazing. We spent 22 days in Italy last time we went and it wasn't enough time lol. And it wasn't our first time there either but so much to love there.

So excited for you. It's going to be a trip of a lifetime.:appl:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Queenie60 - I'm hoping to go to an outdoor opera in Lucca when we're there. We're planning to go in summer, and it might only be on during the summer months. But Lucca, in general and from what I can see, is a glorious town:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucca

I'm not sure if opera is your thing, but I just found this:

https://www.visittuscany.com/en/ideas/where-to-see-opera-in-tuscany-a-few-tips/

Our plan is to spend all our time in Tuscany - Florence in particular - with day trips. We'll get up to Venice and pootle around the countryside, but I think it's unlikely I'll ever get out of the Uffizi Gallery!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Queenie60, please forgive my thread jack,but do you have a thread on your gorgeous avatar?

Italy sounds like a fabulous trip!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved visiting the small jewelry shops in Florence. The gold work and design work is unique and amazing. Prices are really high but....:mrgreen2:

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with others above - if you make it any further South than Rome, then definitely the Amalfi/Sorrento coastline for sheer beauty and a afternoon’s trip from there to Capri to people watch.

We did an Ancient History walking tour for a morning in Rome which was great. I can’t remember the name of the company we used though. I’d happily spend hours wondering around the Forum and daydreaming about times gone by. A boat tour on the Tiber is also a good introduction to the main sites. I’d book as many tickets in advance as possible to busy attractions - the Vatican, colosseum, museums, etc. We didn’t check Vatican timings in advance and arrived just as a mass given by the Pope was ending - trying to fight against the flow of thousands of people wasn’t fun!

Rome is a lovely, fairly compact city - we walked everywhere with 7 and 5 year olds in tow. We had frequent stops for gelato, but I think that’s an advisable plan for anyone, not just kids!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
for me a never miss everytime I go to Florence is the Ufizi, I have only once been more impressed by a gallery (the Met at times).. I found it interesting to go to Pompeii because of how the town was set up and of course the history, I've not been there since 2010 but I read they allow you go see even more than when I was there. In Florence we stayed at the Hotel David, I cannot say how much I loved that hotel.. it was just lovely, walkable to things, good restaurants. I love Italy. You just about can't go wrong anywhere. Food! Food! Food! :) seriously May should be okay, but crowds of tourists in Rome and Florence are crazy.. if you want to go into the Pope's house, which I did :), ensure you get on the type of tour where you bypass people on line outside. We planned this first tour through Costco and costco was wonderful. I love it there Cannot wait to see your pix if you would be kind enough to post any!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Venice- if you can, AVOID the main tourist areas, I find them polluted, hideously expensive (€40 for 4 juice drinks, anyone?) and filled with pigeons! If you explore the side streets you will find beautiful squares with little markets and lovely cafes where the actual Venetians go. Night time is best, once the cruise ships have gone. We LOVED Murano, like a mini, quieter Venice with beautiful glass to buy, the museum there is fantastic. Also really nice restaurants on the canal.

Florence- just all over amazing! So beautiful. Still has authentic shops selling Italian leather gloves and hand made suits/ties quite near the centre. The Cathedral is breathtaking. See the David at the Accademia. The cafe at the Uffizi has a view all over the city, well worth a visit.

Siena- can’t go wrong here, just the prettiest place ever!

If you can manage, visit the Tuscan hill towns- Volterra is an old Etruscan town with tons of history, San Gimignano has incredible towers and some of the best coffee and ice cream I’ve ever had!

Enjoy your trip!

Reactions: AV_

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just south of my favorite Italian city, Genoa (Genova in Italy), is Recco, home of cheese focaccia. I recommend you go there and sample the cheese focaccia.

ReccoItalia.jpg focaccia-di-recco.jpg

Q

Queenie60

Many, many thanks to all of you - I will continue to monitor this thread as I am in the planning stage. We have our airline tickets to and fro and I am now planning where to stay and sites to see!!!! So much fun and quite interesting. I will take all of the information from this thread and incorporate it into my trip 15 days does not seem to be enough time, however there's next year! Being an empty nester is quite fun.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
15 days does not seem to be enough time, however there's next year! Being an empty nester is quite fun.

15 days is a good start and yes you can and will want to schedule more time your next visit here. It's best not too do it all at once (not that anyone could) anyway. There is just so much to do and take in and enjoy and best advice is take it one day at a time and just choose the best sights and activities for you and remember there will be a next time so you can savor each day at your own pace.

cantwaitfortrip.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Florence is a must IMHO, if one likes white gold jewellery (18K), then one should visit the so-called Golden Bridge (its real name escapes me, sorry), that is lined with jewellery shops.

Been to Milan and was not impressed as I found it to be less friendly compared with Florence.

Enjoy.

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Florence is a must IMHO, if one likes white gold jewellery (18K), then one should visit the so-called Golden Bridge (its real name escapes me, sorry), that is lined with jewellery shops.

Ponte Vecchio.

Been to Milan and was not impressed as I found it to be less friendly compared with Florence.

We LOVED Milan but as with everything it's individual tastes and preferences. We found the people very friendly and it was like a cleaner smaller NYC.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had a day in Rome and a day in Venice (between Amsterdam and Paris) for my 40th in August. It was hectic but fun. I will post again later about some of the places we visited.

imitcan

Shiny_Rock
Venezia, Padova, Pisa, San Gimignano, Firenze, Bologna, Modena, Assisi, Roma, Sulmona, Pescara.
These were the places we visited when I took my husband and kids for the first time, for 3 weeks.
Second trip: Sorrento, Capri, Pompeii, Sardegna.
Third: Bolzano, Bergamo, Brescia
And any trip after we will rent a place in Umbria or maybe Abbruzzo and get a car and just drive around.
Italy has so much to see. And yes the main attractions are busy and expensive but you can’t go and not take them in. It will capture your heart and you will want to visit again and again. It doesn’t disappoint anyone.
“You may have the universe, if I may have Italy.” (Giuseppe Verdi)

Q

Queenie60

Enjoy.

DK :))
Thank you DK. We will not go to Milan however, 3 days in Florence is on the plan! I will definately visit the Golden Bridge, thank you for that information.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OK I'm back,
When we were in Rome we got up early and spent the morning at the Vatican Museum, then we walked to the Pantheon (which was amazing), Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps (we walked up and it was 34 degrees and humid. As a UK-er I'm not used to heat!) and then Colosseum where we had a thunderstorm. I wouldn't have chosen the Vatican but my fiancé wanted to go, and we wanted to pack as many sights in as possible, while on foot! Also I didn't have the best shoes, my feet were swollen and sore and I was pretty miserable because of this, I would've enjoyed it much more if I wore sensible walking shoes.

Then we got the train to Venice which was great, more comfortable than a plane!
We went to the Da Vinci Museum, over the Rialto bridge, St Mark's Square (where you're not allowed to sit on the steps or floor! I wanted to change my shoes and got told off!) We went into the Museo Correr which was beautiful.
And the Palazzo Ducale (Doge's Palace), down to the prison and Bridge of Sighs, then a boat back to the airport.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pompeii and Capri. Capri is to die for and I'm a history freak.
4db717a3ae7bdc8abecfdaff76376e05.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results