shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good opal purchase?

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone!

Wanted to ask if this welo opal is a good buy. About $600 for a nearly 6 ct Welo opal.

Also, what's the difference (in terms of cost and difference in caring for stone) between Welo opals and opals from Australia in general?

Many thanks!
IMG_1980.jpg IMG_1981.jpg

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Seems overpriced at 100 per carat. These opals can start from 10$ -15$ per carat for the small sized ones.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welo opals are hydrophane which means they have a high water content and will absorb water. When Welo opals absorb water they lose their colour play, this takes a day or so to come back. Also having a high water content means they are more suspectible to cracking / crazing if exposed to dry heat.
Australian opal or which there are a number of varieties ie white, crystal, boulder and black don’t absorb water so their colour play doesn’t disappear when subject to water. They have a lower water content however they can also crack and craze, black opal is the most stable.
All opals are relatively soft ie 6 on Mohos scale this makes them unsuitable for a ring worn daily.
Make sure the vendor has a good return policy, the photos are done with a black background and strong light, it won’t look like that in normally daylight or with your skin as the background so you might be disappointed with it in “real life”.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I have a welo opal that has lost color/fire over time. Apparently it is a known thing and for that reason some vendors keep their stock a few years before selling. Mine was really inexpensive so it was no loss but I have only bought Aussie opals since then. I also live in a high humidity region now and I’m not too sure what impact that has.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welo seems generally lower priced to me, can be unstable too. Would be very cautious about dealers lighting etc, probably won’t look like that in the hand.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Seems overpriced at 100 per carat. These opals can start from 10$ -15$ per carat for the small sized ones.

Thank you for taking the time to reply!

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Welo opals are hydrophane which means they have a high water content and will absorb water. When Welo opals absorb water they lose their colour play, this takes a day or so to come back. Also having a high water content means they are more suspectible to cracking / crazing if exposed to dry heat.
Australian opal or which there are a number of varieties ie white, crystal, boulder and black don’t absorb water so their colour play doesn’t disappear when subject to water. They have a lower water content however they can also crack and craze, black opal is the most stable.
All opals are relatively soft ie 6 on Mohos scale this makes them unsuitable for a ring worn daily.
Make sure the vendor has a good return policy, the photos are done with a black background and strong light, it won’t look like that in normally daylight or with your skin as the background so you might be disappointed with it in “real life”.

@Bron357 thanks very much for your time and the tips!!

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
I have a welo opal that has lost color/fire over time. Apparently it is a known thing and for that reason some vendors keep their stock a few years before selling. Mine was really inexpensive so it was no loss but I have only bought Aussie opals since then. I also live in a high humidity region now and I’m not too sure what impact that has.

@peacechick Thanks for sharing your personal experience!

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Welo seems generally lower priced to me, can be unstable too. Would be very cautious about dealers lighting etc, probably won’t look like that in the hand.

@HotPozzum Thanks for the advice! I will likely not purchase this due to everyone cautioning against stability.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I suggest to see the opal in person. The opal looks very different in real life than in the photo. $100 per carat is quite high for welo opals.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
I suggest to see the opal in person. The opal looks very different in real life than in the photo. $100 per carat is quite high for welo opals.

Thanks for taking the time! Yes, I will pass on this I think.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results