Polish VERY GOOD
Symmetry VERY GOOD
Fluorescence MEDIUM BLUE
Clarity characteristics TWINNING WISPS
Depth 59.10%
Table 60%
Girdle MEDIUM-VERY THICK
LWD: 5.30*3.86*2.28

To be honest I don't understand what effects fluorescence has on diamonds, nor the twinning wisps. It looks nice on their website but how will it perform in real life? Screenshot_2019-03-18-21-58-42~2.png

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You really need video and an ASET to analyse shapes other than rounds - the former shows you how the facets interact, and the latter shows you if it is 'leaky' and might perform badly in the face-on position.

FWIW, and IMHO, it looks like this stone might have a dark 'bow-tie', which is not seen as desirable by most (all?) on this board.

Do check out the Opulence Ovals from Rhino/Jon at August Vintage Inc. - they are cut for excellent light return, although they do face up a little smaller for a given weight and are perhaps a bit more expensive than generic ovals:
https://www.augustvintageinc.com/collections/opulence

Fluorescence should not create any risk of a problem until you get to Strong or Very Strong Blue - you can ask the assistant/gemologist to review the stone for any negative impacts, such as haze or 'oiliness', but generally speaking, it is rarely an issue.

Twinning Wisps are one of the 'better' inclusions to have, in that they are usually see-through and may well not impact how a stone performs. Again, the gemologist can check for you, and the benefits of the Pricescope-recommended vendors is that you can review the stones at home and Return them for minimal or zero cost to you if they are not what you are looking for or there are any issues that have become apparent. :)

If you are happy to post your budget and your colour/clarity/carat size preferences or requirements, we may be able to find you some options to consider.

KLC

Shiny_Rock
You really need video and an ASET to analyse shapes other than rounds - the former shows you how the facets interact, and the latter shows you if it is 'leaky' and might perform badly in the face-on position.

FWIW, and IMHO, it looks like this stone might have a dark 'bow-tie', which is not seen as desirable by most (all?) on this board.

Do check out the Opulence Ovals from Rhino/Jon at August Vintage Inc. - they are cut for excellent light return, although they do face up a little smaller for a given weight and are perhaps a bit more expensive than generic ovals:
https://www.augustvintageinc.com/collections/opulence

Fluorescence should not create any risk of a problem until you get to Strong or Very Strong Blue - you can ask the assistant/gemologist to review the stone for any negative impacts, such as haze or 'oiliness', but generally speaking, it is rarely an issue.

Twinning Wisps are one of the 'better' inclusions to have, in that they are usually see-through and may well not impact how a stone performs. Again, the gemologist can check for you, and the benefits of the Pricescope-recommended vendors is that you can review the stones at home and Return them for minimal or zero cost to you if they are not what you are looking for or there are any issues that have become apparent. :)

If you are happy to post your budget and your colour/clarity/carat size preferences or requirements, we may be able to find you some options to consider.
Thank you. My budget is low, around $500. I'm looking to replace a stone in a pendant that fell out. The stone needs to be about 0.3-0.35ct to fit in the pendant. I think I'll pass on that stone after your reply regardless of the excellent price they're asking for it. Thanks again.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, apologies, I didn't take notice of the size!

I don't think the AVOOs are cut at that size because the extra time needed would render them prohibitively expensive compared to other options, so I think you are right to consider 'standard' ovals.

If you are open to Lab Grown Diamonds / Man Made Diamonds, Rhino also stocks those and Brilliant Earth could be worth looking at. We would have to discuss those in the Lab Grown section of the forum, though :)

Please do post up any more that you are considering!

Reactions: KLC

KLC

Shiny_Rock
Is it allowed to post a link to a diamond I'm considering on James Allen?

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, go ahead and post it. People frequently post links. If you are worried about some lurker buying it out from under you then ask JA customer service to put it on hold for you. Though , with the size you are looking for I don't believe that you need to worry.
What dimensions does your oval need to be? Carat weight is not the most important consideration when looking at elongated cuts. It is spread(length x width).

KLC

Shiny_Rock
Yes, go ahead and post it. People frequently post links. If you are worried about some lurker buying it out from under you then ask JA customer service to put it on hold for you. Though , with the size you are looking for I don't believe that you need to worry.
What dimensions does your oval need to be? Carat weight is not the most important consideration when looking at elongated cuts. It is spread(length x width).
Thanks. The original stone was 5.5*3.7, can't remember the depth. I'm not sure of the correct terminology but it sort of floated in the center of the pendant with a small gap around it so I figured I have a little wiggle room on size. This one really caught my eye but it's IGI and I've heard bad things about IGI grading, but still...
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/0.30-carat-g-color-if-clarity-sku-6554195

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The fist diamond looks a little mushy to me. Meaning it has facets between the center and ends that do not turn on and off. Think of it as dead space. You want the facets to "walk" down the diamond. As the diamond rotates the facets should turn off and on the from one end of the diamond to the other. Your second choice shows the facets turning on and off. Compare it to the first and you will see the difference. Ask JA where the feather is located and if it will be a durability issue.

KLC

Shiny_Rock
The fist diamond looks a little mushy to me. Meaning it has facets between the center and ends that do not turn on and off. Think of it as dead space. You want the facets to "walk" down the diamond. As the diamond rotates the facets should turn off and on the from one end of the diamond to the other. Your second choice shows the facets turning on and off. Compare it to the first and you will see the difference. Ask JA where the feather is located and if it will be a durability issue.
Will do. Thank you so much for your help! I've tried researching but I find it all confusing. Lol

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You could also ask the JA rep to suggest one in your desired size and price range. They view more diamonds per day than you or I so probably more knowledgeable. Though to be honest the bulk of what they see are rounds. Good luck in your search. I do not feel confident in recommending a diamond. Hopefully, someone will recommend a diamond for you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results