shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this Stuller setting too bulky?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The center diamond would be bigger than the one shown here. I've never seen a Stuller setting in person before today.

IMG_3260.JPG IMG_3261.JPG

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For that size diamond, personally, I’d say yes, but someone else may love the look and that’s okay, too. For a larger diamond, it might depend on the size; hard to say without seeing it or knowing what the current and future diamond sizes are.

Also, it may be helpful to show it from a little more distance (e.g., a foot away) for perspective. Anything that ‘up close’ is going to look big, so it’s hard to really judge if it is in fact ‘bulky’, if that makes sense.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I agree that with that stone, it looks a little bulky. How big will the stone be in it?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two Stuller settings and have been happy with them. They are great quality, very well made and good solid design. What mm is the diamond you are planning to set?

Oh...btw with both my settings I had the prongs made more delicate when the bench was setting the diamond...just to say that there is that opinion to modify.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There would be a 1.23 carat (6.9mm) diamond in the center @elizat and @Jimmianne. Really hard to see in the profile but there are small diamonds in the basket and around the donut (I think that term is right).

@the_mother_thing, I should have taken perspective shots at the store, so for now these are the best I have.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I think that size should be fine personally. It looks like the setting with the current stone is a lot smaller.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There would be a 1.23 carat (6.9mm) diamond in the center.

@the_mother_thing, I should have taken perspective shots at the store, so for now these are the best I have.

I am assuming the pic you posted has a quarter to half carat? If so, I think the size you are planning would be fine! :wavey:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe if memory serves that it is 1/4 carat in the setting so with my diamond it would be much more balanced.

Will the diamonds along the bottom outside of the donut present a problem when wearing a band? Didn't think of that until just now of course.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe if memory serves that it is 1/4 carat in the setting so with my diamond it would be much more balanced.

Will the diamonds along the bottom outside of the donut present a problem when wearing a band? Didn't think of that until just now of course.

Probably depends on the band.

Are you buying & modifying that setting for your stone, or going with a new setting like that one from Stuller?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably depends on the band.

Are you buying & modifying that setting for your stone, or going with a new setting like that one from Stuller?

Going with a new setting direct from Stuller, this setting is also being discontinued but I don't want to rush into any decisions either.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay so I went through Stuller's site (so many options!) and found these, love the top one but can anyone speak to the quality of the diamonds Stuller uses? I like the profile on the first ring I posted but the band isn't really doing it for me.

IMG_3265.jpg IMG_3266.jpg IMG_3267.jpg IMG_3268.jpg

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Okay so I went through Stuller's site (so many options!) and found these, love the top one but can anyone speak to the quality of the diamonds Stuller uses? I like the profile on the first ring I posted but the band isn't really doing it for me.

IMG_3265.jpg IMG_3266.jpg IMG_3267.jpg IMG_3268.jpg

I just ordered the top one ... they let you choose the quality of the diamonds .... I’m setting a D color, so the setting is with F color full-cut for the small ones, and F-color H&A (this overkill makes me smile everytime, but it was only a few dollars more) for the stones on the band. The Stuller site doesn’t even list the F as an option.

I sourced the setting through Good Old Gold and they have been awesome! However, WF told me that they could have sourced the setting also ... I didn’t even think to ask because there is no mention they work with Stuller on their website .... ooops! However, GOG has been so great that I still don’t regret it!:appl:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kmoro that is good to know about the diamonds, I'm setting an OEC so not sure if the regular G-H would be better in my case. I can't wait to see your new ring! How long before you get it?

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
@kmoro that is good to know about the diamonds, I'm setting an OEC so not sure if the regular G-H would be better in my case. I can't wait to see your new ring! How long before you get it?

At least you know you have choices! Who would be getting the setting for you? Maybe you haven’t decided on a setting yet? The first setting that you posted does seem a bit overwhelming for the diamond shown, but would probably be nice with a larger stone, imo. And of course, I obviously love the floral Stuller setting ... and the other Stuller setting you posted is also lovely.

I’ve been trying to find the original post where a kind PS member sent me the link for the setting ... but I can’t remember the thread or the exact user name .... I think “joy” was part of her name. She had a 2 carat set and I stole the picture that you see below.

Alas it will still be awhile before I get the new ring ... probably another three weeks :wall:

54D5E775-32B3-4517-9E48-D2D8B207C782.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sourcing the setting through a local jeweler in town and as it turns out the first setting I posted and last will not work with my diamond, which is actually fine because the flower is my favorite anyways. Not decided yet, still browsing the Stuller site but this will be a project for later this year so plenty of time to browse.

Three weeks isn't too bad but I know it's like an eternity to wait when it's your ring! Also thanks for posting that picture, I know I've seen that ring on PS but it just never clicked since I wasn't really looking. We will have to start a thread for the owners of this setting when we get our rings!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sourcing the setting through a local jeweler in town and as it turns out the first setting I posted and last will not work with my diamond, which is actually fine because the flower is my favorite anyways. Not decided yet, still browsing the Stuller site but this will be a project for later this year so plenty of time to browse.

Three weeks isn't too bad but I know it's like an eternity to wait when it's your ring! Also thanks for posting that picture, I know I've seen that ring on PS but it just never clicked since I wasn't really looking. We will have to start a thread for the owners of this setting when we get our rings!

I love this setting @kmoro is getting too!! So so pretty! I have had a Stuller setting in the past and was very happy with the quality. Like @Jimmianne said, the setter shapes the prongs, so be concise about what you want with your jeweler @StephanieLynn
Can’t wait to see them both!

ETA I love their X-1 white gold. Nice and white and never needed rhodium.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the input @Sandeek and I love your avatar!

@kmoro are you getting the prongs shaped differently? I actually thought the prongs on Stuller's site looked pretty good and not sure how much I can whittle them down since I will need to hide chipping on the girdle.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

@kmoro are you getting the prongs shaped differently? I actually thought the prongs on Stuller's site looked pretty good and not sure how much I can whittle them down since I will need to hide chipping on the girdle.

Thank you! I do believe the prongs come bulky and need to be formed and shaped by your jeweler. This is for your new stone? It’ll look beautiful in that setting and give you some oomph size wise to boot!

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock

Nope - I intend to leave them as is. I think they’re quite pretty and match the overall style :twirl:

Lots of different prongs on the Stuller site ... but the floral has small claw prongs that I like a lot.

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kmoro, okay phew (wiping brow) I tell you this is why I don't do custom, too many things to think about! Did you have any other contenders or once you saw this setting was it just the one? BTW I'm still looking for the original "Joy" thread, I swear I just saw it recently too.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
@kmoro, okay phew (wiping brow) I tell you this is why I don't do custom, too many things to think about! Did you have any other contenders or once you saw this setting was it just the one? BTW I'm still looking for the original "Joy" thread, I swear I just saw it recently too.

I just fell in love with it when I saw it. I suppose my current setting was the closest contender, but it’s a completely different style. I also can’t do custom - I don’t trust my abilities. I’ve also noticed that prongs always look smaller in real life, so I think the setting is perfect as is. It’s funny because the person who posted it is looking for a different setting - not sure why. I wasn’t looking for something new at all ... it’s just “me,” has my name written all over it, if you know what I mean. :wink2:

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I found the original post! It was by @icy_jade ... my memory served up the “j” (joy) but I got it wrong.

Erm. I’m late to this superideal thing so here is my starter superideal, a 2.05 ct CBI in a Stuller setting...

I’m thinking of either getting another 4 stones to do a 5 stone ring or to trade in for a bigger solitaire next... but still thinking since I just got the ring a week ago.

6A4E4FC2-A057-464E-B756-ACC172B3E3E1.jpeg
DBF9881C-E061-4D60-B7BA-A69ED8BE9849.jpeg

It was from the thread “Starter Superideals” ...

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh good work! I was searching and searching with no luck. Gosh it is really such a pretty setting :kiss2:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m the last person to ask, lol, but why are you resetting your diamond? I thought you were very happy with your six prong makeover?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m the last person to ask, lol, but why are you resetting your diamond? I thought you were very happy with your six prong makeover?

I'm not necessarily resetting it, just thinking about it for now. Despite my hesitations about bezel setting this diamond, I have always felt it would be the safer setting for it. The first jeweler that reset it was great but a little too know it all for me and I felt like he dismissed the bezel idea too quickly. So I went to another jeweler today to get a second opinion and while they were looking at my diamond I had some time to look around, you know how it is. They agreed with the first jeweler, don't bezel it, it's beautiful as is.

IF I reset it, this will be a one and done thing but for now I'm just thinking about it and that may be all I end up doing.

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
I know you're more looking for input about style and design ( which are lovely, btw) but I just had to chime in. I love my Stuller settings. I've used them for many rings and earrings, and even though I was tempted to go with some other brands, I usually come back to Stuller for three reasons: design, consistency of production and alloys. I've found they've even improved on these over the years, and are constantly innovating with metals to provide better strength, metal appearance and hypoallergenicity. I think they were one of the first to make an alloy blend for white gold that stays "white" so there's less need to rhodium plate.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for that @tigertales, do your Stuller settings have diamond melee? I know a lot of people upgrade the diamond quality just not sure if that's something to really worry about with a lower color OEC.

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for that @tigertales, do your Stuller settings have diamond melee? I know a lot of people upgrade the diamond quality just not sure if that's something to really worry about with a lower color OEC.

No, mine don't have diamond melee. I usually use Stuller for settings when I want a simple, clean and classic line.
I believe Stuller will upgrade when you order, yes. But as you say, an OEC may not need this. However, having said that, I sometimes like the look of a really white melee near a J/K/L etc. just because the contrast is really pretty and showcases the golden tones of the diamond.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results