shape
carat
color
clarity

Is This Cushion a Winner?

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
I did something I've never done before and put a diamond on hold. This looks like a good cushion to me, but what do I know? The ultimate goal is to have a 3 stone with half moons, but that might be years off in the future. I plan to have it shipped to me in a simple solitaire setting so at least I can wear it in the meanwhile (but am open to suggestions). Our budget is 25K all in (PA takes 6%) for the center stone/setting.

https://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/diamond-details/LD10917181

So how do you think I did? I was hoping for a cushion with nice faceting but not H&A. If it's a bad stone, feel free to make alternate suggestions.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it. In general, I prefer cushions a bit puffier, but this is a nice, white, clean stone, with no visible 'mush' and nicely defined facets. I suspect the ASET will be above average, but you really can't tell till you get the image. BN doesn't do ASETs, though, so if you're happy to purchase without one, then you'll probably be happy with this stone. Seeing it in person should clarify for you whether or not you're happy with the light performance.

Here are a few I prefer...

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.41-carat-f-color-si1-clarity-sku-5902830

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.51-carat-d-color-vs2-clarity-sku-5589892

My pick is the 2.51ct D VS2 at the bottom. What a STUNNING stone! Bigger, obviously, whiter, puffier, with a smaller, higher table - and those facets move beautifully as you rotate the stone!

All of these would work well, but I like cushions to be either very white, or very warm, so to that end, I'd go with the D - whose shape I prefer as well; it's lovely and puffy, and makes the other diamonds look rather flat and personality-less.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
I do like the 2.51 but the strong flor and crazy thick girdle give me pause.

I looked at bluenile instead of JA because of the settings. It would apparently kill JA to use a basket and I think 2+ carats in a prong setting is ridiculous for a square or rectangular stone. I could compromise on that, though.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did something I've never done before and put a diamond on hold. This looks like a good cushion to me, but what do I know? The ultimate goal is to have a 3 stone with half moons, but that might be years off in the future. I plan to have it shipped to me in a simple solitaire setting so at least I can wear it in the meanwhile (but am open to suggestions). Our budget is 25K all in (PA takes 6%) for the center stone/setting.

https://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/diamond-details/LD10917181

So how do you think I did? I was hoping for a cushion with nice faceting but not H&A. If it's a bad stone, feel free to make alternate suggestions.
I LOVE this stone and it has a really nice spread for the weight..Mine has basically the same carat weight and it’s much smaller! It’s a sparkler!:love:

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
I LOVE this stone and it has a really nice spread for the weight..Mine is the same carat weight and it’s much smaller! It’s a sparkler!:love:

Yeah, that 66% depth got my attention real fast. I don't often see them with less than 68%.

My only pause with it is that if you turn it to be diamond shaped, at that angle it looks like there's a lot of dead space in the middle of the table. That's true for the 2.51D, too. Maybe that's just how cushions work?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, that 66% depth got my attention real fast. I don't often see them with less than 68%.

My only pause with it is that if you turn it to be diamond shaped, at that angle it looks like there's a lot of dead space in the middle of the table. That's true for the 2.51D, too. Maybe that's just how cushions work?
I’m not an expert or anything close to it..so hopefully someone will chime in for you..

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

@vintageloves -

My best suggestion would be to go look at some in real life and inspect the GIA certificates. It will help you see what translates well to real life, and what doesn't. I don't see "a lot of dead space" - at all.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@vintageloves -

My best suggestion would be to go look at some in real life and inspect the GIA certificates. It will help you see what translates well to real life, and what doesn't. I don't see "a lot of dead space" - at all.
I didn’t either...because the faceting looks gorgeous to me!

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
I couldn't get a grab of the JA stone to show what I meant, but I did get a good angle of the stone I have on hold. It just doesn't seem like anything is going on in the center, like it's a dead zone. Keep in mind I'm not very diamond literate so I don't always understand what I'm looking at.

download.png

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I couldn't get a grab of the JA stone to show what I meant, but I did get a good angle of the stone I have on hold. It just doesn't seem like anything is going on in the center, like it's a dead zone. Keep in mind I'm not very diamond literate so I don't always understand what I'm looking at.

download.png
I just think it’s normal for a cushion..

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
Bluenile emailed me this morning to let me know that even though I have this diamond on hold, it's actually unavailable. Way to go Bluenile. So back to the drawing board, I guess.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bluenile emailed me this morning to let me know that even though I have this diamond on hold, it's actually unavailable. Way to go Bluenile. So back to the drawing board, I guess.
No! That’s unbelievable! I’m so sorry!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a shame! Maybe ask - if you still want to consider it - that should it become available, you get notice or ‘dibs’. Someone else may have held/bought it, and may pass on it for any possible reason.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
That’s a shame! Maybe ask - if you still want to consider it - that should it become available, you get notice or ‘dibs’. Someone else may have held/bought it, and may pass on it for any possible reason.
That’s a great idea! That’s how I got my cushion!

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
No! That’s unbelievable! I’m so sorry!

The rep did warn me when I put it on hold that sometimes their inventory is not up to date and some stones sold despite appearing available on their site. Apparently that is very rare. I feel special.

Good idea. I don't really know if it's sold or just on hold from another vendor. I'll call and ask.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results