carat
color
clarity

International travel

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,

I leave in a few weeks for Italy but it's been decades since I've traveled internationally. What tips do you have for me? Specifically, what should I always have readily available, what should I carry on the plane vs pack (I'm thinking my jewelry should stay with me always, right?), anything I should buy ahead of time, and any insight specific to Italy would be much appreciated.

TIA! :clap:

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Here’s what I take in my carry-on:
Jewelry
Passport
Wallet with one credit card (DH takes a different card) and some cash
Prescription medications
Pashmina
A good book
Electronics (never put in checked bag)
My everyday cosmetics
Emergency OTC meds in teeny little zip-locks (https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-health-disposable-pill-pouches-50ct-prodid-407149?skuId=407149)—ibuprofen, Antacid, decongestant, Imodium, MucinexDM) DH teases me about my little kit but has has been extremely grateful if he gets a headache or tummy ache while flying.
Small package of anti-bacterial wipes for tray table. Also handy if you end up in a restroom with no soap.
Hand lotion and chapstick.
Pens for filling out immigration forms on the plane.
Gum for descent (I have ear issues)
A couple healthy snacks-protein bar, some walnuts, etc.
If it’s an overnight flight-make up remover wipes and a toothbrush.
Glasses/sunglasses

Sorry- no Italy advice other than have fun!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You really should leave your jewelry at home. I know you want to wear it, but Italy is notorious for pick pockets. Don’t make yourselves a target. Have fun!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Italy (especially Rome) has lots of pick pockets. some will try to cut your bag right off you. pacsafe is a great brand of bags to look into for being out and about.

the type of vacations I take, jewelry is usually not in the mix! I tend to leave it at home except the cheap stuff. (same with perfume, kinda funny that way)

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You really should leave your jewelry at home. I know you want to wear it, but Italy is notorious for pick pockets. Don’t make yourselves a target. Have fun!
I don’t have much of a choice. We’re getting marrried there, so wedding jewelry has to come.

Any tips on how to keep them safe? They’ll be locked up when not being worn.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would suggest you purchase a travel handbag (ebags.com) with a lock as pick pockets are everywhere, especially in subways and crowed tourist attractions.
Great tip, thanks!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s what I take in my carry-on:
Jewelry
Passport
Wallet with one credit card (DH takes a different card) and some cash
Prescription medications
Pashmina
A good book
Electronics (never put in checked bag)
My everyday cosmetics
Emergency OTC meds in teeny little zip-locks (https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-health-disposable-pill-pouches-50ct-prodid-407149?skuId=407149)—ibuprofen, Antacid, decongestant, Imodium, MucinexDM) DH teases me about my little kit but has has been extremely grateful if he gets a headache or tummy ache while flying.
Small package of anti-bacterial wipes for tray table. Also handy if you end up in a restroom with no soap.
Hand lotion and chapstick.
Pens for filling out immigration forms on the plane.
Gum for descent (I have ear issues)
A couple healthy snacks-protein bar, some walnuts, etc.
If it’s an overnight flight-make up remover wipes and a toothbrush.
Glasses/sunglasses

Sorry- no Italy advice other than have fun!
What a great list! So many things I wouldn’t have thought of. Thanks!!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
any insight specific to Italy would be much appreciated.
Buy Rick Steve's travel guides https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/italy-guidebook. He has one specifically for Rome -- highly detailed. His books are terrific for tips on how to get around with less stress, where the locals eat, a secret exit from the Sistine Chapel so you don't have to go back through the entire Vatican Museum...lots of excellent advice. I don't know your itinerary but Cinque Terre is a must see, particularly after you've visited larger tourist heavy cities/towns. Peaceful, beautiful, national park.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I travel internationally several times a year to visit our son.

I have a hold-all which I’ll put my iPad and charging cables and adaptors in, together with my ziplock bag with liquids (nothing more than 100mls) I also use the roll up vacuum bags, which contain clean underwear and at least 2 tops in case the suitcase is delayed. Non liquid make up also goes in the hold-all. If I get any sachets of moisturisers from magazines, I keep those and pop them in the ziplock bag as an emergency back up.

In my handbag, I have a separate wallet containing passports and boarding passes (I like to check in the day before and print it off) which I can grab quickly without rifling through my handbag.

Depends which airline and seat category you’re travelling in, as to what you’lll need on the plane. Some have really good amenity kits which contain, toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, cleanser, moisturiser and lip balm, others not.

They use Euros in Italy so I would ensure you take enough with you, and get some small denominations for tips etc. I also print out the name and address of the hotel to give to the cab driver in case they don’t speak good English.

I travel in comfortable clothes and Skechers type shoes which are easy to get off and on at security.

The other thing that we do is that one of us goes through security first and then the other one sends through the bags, because if you get held up going through, it’s very easy for someone the other side to grab your bag containing all your valuables and leg it! If you’re on your own, don’t take your eyes of your bag if it gets through security before you.

Other than that, I can’t think of anything else at the moment, have a great trip! :cheeky:

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Honestly, I would only take jewelry that you can replace to Italy. For example, I’d take wedding rings but not sentimental diamonds. Pickpockets in Rome were so brazen they did not try to disguise their efforts to relieve us of our valuables. They commonly used small children, young teens, etc., to try to take wallets. They traveled in teams to create distractions (dog poop in the subway tunnel or sidewalk, human rights petitions, etc), while others would swoop in and right in front of you try to grab a bag. I’ve heard many times on TripAdvisor of European hotel safes being picked too. Even if you are insured, I personally wouldn’t risk losing a specially crafted ring or heirloom diamond. YMMV

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where are you going in Italy? I’ve been several times and loved it, I think after my homeland it’s my favourite place in the world!

We’ve never had any issues with petty crime, or pickpockets anywhere there, in fact I’ve always felt very safe, more so than in other countries, actually.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where are you going in Italy? I’ve been several times and loved it, I think after my homeland it’s my favourite place in the world!

We’ve never had any issues with petty crime, or pickpockets anywhere there, in fact I’ve always felt very safe, more so than in other countries, actually.
I actually know very few details. I planned the wedding and he planned the honeymoon =)2. I do know that we’re starting in Rome for four days, then Florence (where the wedding is), and I believe we’re then going to Sienna, Lake Como, Venice, and Milan. Not sure what or when or exactly where though!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds wonderful. I would get a pacsafe bag for trave if you are at all concerned. They have hooks to secure the top zipper to the end so they can’t be pickpocketed and a wire inside so they can’t be cut off. I would bring wedding jewelry with me at all times. I know I have soft little zippered pouches for my pearls. I would just protect myself as much as I could and enjoy the trip.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I wouldn’t take expensive jewellery with me. Make sure no necklaces are on show, they can just grab and jerk those off your neck.
I always wore a body wallet, under my clothes, with my passport, Money etc and just carried day to day money and stuff in a cross body bag.
Don’t engage with any beggars, no matter how cute or small, they work in teams to steal.
Do not buy any replica handbags or similiar, especially trying to take them over a border from Italy or Spain to another country. Other countries ie France not only confiscate such items they fine you to the value of the genuine article. That cute Dior handbag you bought for $50 in Italy, enter France with it, your fine will be circa $5,000.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing to note is that if you are using a non-American airline, the carry-on sizes are smaller for many airlines.

Our daughter just went to Italy for almost 2 weeks in March, and mainly went to Rome, Florence, and Venice. She did take a PacSafe small backpack for her personal item and then a roll on carry on for her only luggage. It worked great for her. The Pac Safe and Travelon bags normally have RFID protection, and straps are reinforced and hard to cut off. There were secured latches for all the zippers on her backpack. She wore a money pouch with RFID protection on her waist under her shirt.

I agree with others that I would not trust a hotel room safe, so I'd probably personally just take wedding bands.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I wouldn’t take expensive jewellery with me. Make sure no necklaces are on show, they can just grab and jerk those off your neck.
I always wore a body wallet, under my clothes, with my passport, Money etc and just carried day to day money and stuff in a cross body bag.
Don’t engage with any beggars, no matter how cute or small, they work in teams to steal.
Do not buy any replica handbags or similiar, especially trying to take them over a border from Italy or Spain to another country. Other countries ie France not only confiscate such items they fine you to the value of the genuine article. That cute Dior handbag you bought for $50 in Italy, enter France with it, your fine will be circa $5,000.

Whoa! That's very good to know!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If youre flying into Rome and use Uber, I’d use that rather than a taxi from the airport. We were charged about three/four times what we should have been by a Roman taxi driver. We’d just arrived and didn’t double check that he’d put the meter on. We were later told that the airport drivers do that all the time.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, these are such great tips. We really appreciate it, and welcome any more thoughts too.

Today I ordered a Travelon RFID/lockable bag and the book on Italy travel tips. Also planning to leave all good jewelry home except for the wedding stuff. Having FDH read all the travel tips too so as he gets us places he’ll have planned wisely and safely =)2

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
We went all around Europe last year for 5.5 weeks (including Italy) and we didn't have any issues whatsoever with pickpockets even with wearing my wedding set. Just be aware of your surroundings. I brought a Lo and Sons crossbody bag with me and had a few euros in hand and mostly used our card abroad.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I leave all good jewelry home. Watch out for gypsys too. You will know when you see them, don’t engage them, walk away. You will see gladiators at the coliseum. If you take their picture they will shake you down for money. Make sure to see the Santa Croce basilica in Florence, my favorite place!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually know very few details. I planned the wedding and he planned the honeymoon =)2. I do know that we’re starting in Rome for four days, then Florence (where the wedding is), and I believe we’re then going to Sienna, Lake Como, Venice, and Milan. Not sure what or when or exactly where though!
That sounds like a heck of a trip! You will have an amazing time. I’d say just be aware in crowds, there are plenty of beggars in the big tourist areas like Milan Cathedral and St Mark’s Square in Venice. As mentioned already you are best not to engage with them at all. In places like Florence, and the back streets in Venice there are lots of very smart locals walking about with nice handbags and jewellery, so there’s much less of a risk, I’d say.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you stop for coffe in St Marks Sq, be prepared to pay a small fortune for it, and if you sit somewhere they have music, a big fortune!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not read the posts in the thread, however here are a few things that I do to make air travel more bearable for me.
* I prefer to book my seats in advance, as I prefer aisle seats towards the front not too far from the loos. I hate being at the back and in the middle.
* I would check in online beforehand, and print the boarding pass. I prefer a physical boarding pass as I find using one on the phone a faff.
* I prefer to check in a piece of luggage so that I do not have to remove the sharps and liquids in my washbag. I would rather wait for my case than to go on my trip without my nail scissors etc...
* I arrive at the airport in good time, 3h for intercontinental flights, 2h for European flights. As soon as I arrive, I would check in my case, then off I go into the security area where it is usually the bottleneck.
* While queuing in the security area, I would remove my belt, coin purse, credit card case, watch, mobile phone and place them in my carry on bag.
* I would place my small bottle of cough mixture etc. in one of the approved plastic bags in my carry on in advance, so that I can retrieve with ease place it on the tray when it is my turn.
* After security, I would go and eat first, then shop.
* If there is time to spare, I may sit and relax.
* In case I am lost in time, I would set an alarm on my phone to remind me to go to the gate, allowing plenty of time to walk there.
* I would board the plane as soon as I am allowed to do so.
* I would dig out my phone, ear bugs, water (purchased inside the security area), reading materials etc. from my carry on.
* I shall then sit and relax until I my destination.
* Immediately after the last meal or drink is served and trolleys packed away, I would queue for the loo.
* Once landed, I would get out of the plane and make my way to passport control as quickly as possible (hence the loo break before landing) as this is another bottleneck and even more soul destroying.

Hopefully, there is nothing wrong with my passport or ID card, and I am through to the other side, to find my plane has been unloaded, and my case waiting for me on the conveyor.
I recently started to pack using packing cells, and found them a great help in organising my suitcase.
One for toiletries, one for smalls, one or two for clothes, one for electrical and other bits and pieces.
Have fun!

DK :))

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great responses. I travelled to Rome earlier this year and enjoyed it very much. Awesome food! Agree with the others - beware of pickpockets/scams/beggars everywhere. Don't wear anything flashy and use a money belt. Be very firm with any strangers who may suddenly attempt to engage you. Don't be temped to buy souvenir trinkets (overpriced junk) either... I didn't feel unsafe at any point but probably wouldn't ever go there alone TBH.

Flight goodies:
  1. Passport & wallet obviously...
  2. Comfy stretchy clothes & flat shoes
  3. Spare pair of socks & underwear
  4. Hydrating facial mist, mini hand cream & lip balm
  5. Chewing gum or mints
  6. Pashmina or wrap
  7. A good book/magazine & headphones
  8. Wet wipes/ face wipes
  9. A pen (black or blue only)

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Download the microsoft translate app. It is great. In italy I would avoid wandering arround with my nose stuck in a map. So maybe download a city guide with offline maps.

If you are traveling for a wedding, you probably want to consider how your clothes are going to travel, steamers for getting rid of wrinkles etc. Also if anything I would consider how high my credit limits were set so I could easily cover last minute expenses. Also take something to ward against getting sick, against last minute skin issues due to dry air on the flight and change of climate, and some stuff to wind down and relax too. The last few days before a wedding are typically insane. The last few days before you leave will be even more so. So I would do my best not to get sick, and have something you both find relaxing to do during your down time. Also lots of phone credit, can you get a plan with overseas data or do you have a dual sim? You will need to keep your phone number available as a point of contact but you probably want data to help with the last minute organization.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Forgot to mention Italian cities have some of the worst storm water drainage systems I have seen in my life. And they can be monsonal in summer. If you are traveling with wedding clothes/gifts ect have some stuff to protect against water damage.

Oh and make sure you get notifications the moment someone starts making unauthorized transactions on your credit cards.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know some on the forum advocate leaving jewelry /valuables etc whenever there's travel, but I also think it depends on where you will be. A major metropolitan city should be fine, avoid dodgy parts of town etc. I travel international monthly to major cities and have not had issues wearing bling etc.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
You are getting good advice here, but don't let warnings make you fearful.
As far as jewelry--I think you will be fine with your wedding jewelry.

We have travelled to many cities that are known for pick-pockets (Barcelona most recently) and we have not had any issues. We put one credit card in front pants pocket and small amount of cash for the day in the other front pocket. We each carry a different card. I don't carry a handbag--we share carrying a small backpack with umbrella, jackets, sunscreen, snacks/water, cosmetics, sunglasses. If it gets stolen---nothing of value and nothing irreplaceable. If we get pick-pocketed, we cancel a credit card and are out perhaps $100.

I am not a fan of money belts or bags with straps that are re-inforced. I don't want to partially undress to buy a coffee and I don't want to get yanked down a flight of stairs if someone grabs an un-cuttable strap. I don't care if my credit card gets stolen, but I don't want to get injured while out of the country.
But do what makes YOU feel safe.
You will have a great time!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results