shape
carat
color
clarity

Indents during diamond removal?

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone know if indents on prongs are normal during diamond removal? I had my old diamond removed in order to be set with my new one. I went to an authorized jeweler who said they could remove it for no charge since it was easy. After I got home last night, I noticed vertical indents on 3 of the 4 prongs. 20190321_000537.jpg

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The prongs are notched when setting the diamond. The notches form a 'seat' that the girdle of the diamond can be set securely in.

oops. Taking another look at the picture I see that you are pointing at a mark on the exterior of the prong. That is slight damage that could have happened in wear or could be a tool mark from the prong lifter used to unset the diamond.

When the diamond is reset the jeweler can fix that.

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
20190321_091249.jpg Oh! So this is completely normal? I asked whiteflash if this was normal after sending photos and the person I emailed with apologized hearing about what happened to my setting. It made me think that this was out of the ordinary.

Edit: updated another picture for more clarity.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this should be fine for WF to fix. Looks like it maybe could be "buffed" out and might have been scratched during removal? Either way, I don't think it's a catastrophic issue. But still annoying!

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
oh, yeah, they're called "tool marks". It's the point of leverage used to bend the prong back with the grip pliers. They drive me crazy, but are necessary. Some benchmen are better at it than others. But, they can be easily polished out. Yours aren't deep, so should be fine!

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
Whew!! Thank you so much for your replies @lovedogs and @tigertales. I was beginning to think I just had absolutely terrible luck and couldn't win at this 'diamond game' o_O

But in other good news, setting and stone are en route to WF today. Photos will follow soon!

IolantheJane

Rough_Rock
Can’t wait!

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
Don't cry, everything will come out beautifully! No worries!

edited to add ( I can't tell you how many times I've been through this. Now my jeweler knows to send everything to the "gentle benchman". LOL. I can cause quite a ruckus !)

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Whew!! Thank you so much for your replies @lovedogs and @tigertales. I was beginning to think I just had absolutely terrible luck and couldn't win at this 'diamond game' o_O

But in other good news, setting and stone are en route to WF today. Photos will follow soon!
@Rubymal, When I posted a response to your question I had no idea this involved Whitefash! But you can be confident that the tool marks and any scratches will be removed in the setting and polishing process.

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
@Rubymal, When I posted a response to your question I had no idea this involved Whitefash! But you can be confident that the tool marks and any scratches will be removed in the setting and polishing process.

Oh, fantastic! This is such good news to hear!!! :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont think WF did it...someone else did the stone removal...looks like WF gets to clean it up though :).

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont think WF did it...someone else did the stone removal...looks like WF gets to clean it up though :).
Yeah, it was removed by a local jeweler, and OPs new diamond is in house at WF and will be set there. So WF will clean up the mess, lol.

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
Oh, yes. To clarify, the removal was not done by WF.

WF said that I needed to have insurance on the stone if I wanted them to remove it. I contacted JM and they told me that since I did not plan on keeping the stone that they would not be able to insure it for me. So WF removing it was not an option.

A local jeweler that is authorized to work on my setting said it was 'super easy' and wouldn't charge for removal. Might've been too good to be true, but I would've gladly paid at least something to ensure a clean job was done. At least the stone itself came out unharmed.

But yes, WF gets to clean up someone else's job :silenced: and then put in the new sparkly stone :)

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, yes. To clarify, the removal was not done by WF.

WF said that I needed to have insurance on the stone if I wanted them to remove it. I contacted JM and they told me that since I did not plan on keeping the stone that they would not be able to insure it for me. So WF removing it was not an option.

A local jeweler that is authorized to work on my setting said it was 'super easy' and wouldn't charge for removal. Might've been too good to be true, but I would've gladly paid at least something to ensure a clean job was done. At least the stone itself came out unharmed.

But yes, WF gets to clean up someone else's job :silenced: and then put in the new sparkly stone :)
I've had multiple stones removed by multiple benches over the years and prongs have a tendency to get a little bent out of shape when a stone is removed. Only one time has a setting looked like it wasn't even touched when the diamond was removed. Honestly they didn't do a bad job getting the diamond out :)

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
I've had multiple stones removed by multiple benches over the years and prongs have a tendency to get a little bent out of shape when a stone is removed. Only one time has a setting looked like it wasn't even touched when the diamond was removed. Honestly they didn't do a bad job getting the diamond out :)

Agree 100%. I've seen much, much worse. This is really nothing, and looks like they actually were trying to take really good care of the diamond, so thank them for that!

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
Agree 100%. I've seen much, much worse. This is really nothing, and looks like they actually were trying to take really good care of the diamond, so thank them for that!

Got it, that's a relief to know! And one of the prongs actually didn't have the indent so there's a plus too!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tool marks. Exactly right. They don't look too deep. WF will sort it.

You might WF is their setting includes a full re-fresh (buffing and polishing) of the whole setting. If not, you might offer to pay whatever the charge. You setting looks lovely and it would be nice to give it the full spa treatment. You have squished prong that also should be looked at by WF.

upload_2019-3-21_18-13-10.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results