shape
carat
color
clarity

Idea for inherited round stones

Chicken821

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I’ve inherited a few stones, the most beautiful of which is a 1ct round OEC (h). There is a matching 1ct that has a small chip in it.

also a VVS1 I/J 2.3ct round.

I wear a sapphire engagement ring, which I love, but i also do love diamond solitaires. I don’t want to wear a Rhr.

i would really like to reset the 1ct into a Tiffany solitaire, but worried about the idea of having two ERs that I switch out. Not sure if this will seem weird. I don’t wear heavy necklaces and already have diamond studs, so I can’t think of another option for any of the stones...

thoughts?

Reactions: AV_

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's not every day someone inherits a 2.3ct I/J, VVS1!!! It's a valuable stone, I can assure you that you'll grow into it in time. =)2

What don't you like about it? Do you have photos and a GIA cert you could post? We could tell you if it has a good cut.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A 1 carat OEC, or for that matter a 2.3 carat, diamond hardly makes for a heavy necklace. I wear a 1.06 OEC pendant and dont ever
remember I have it on until I look in a mirror. I dont ever take it off (sleep/shower etc with it on). It is very low maintenance so a pendant
gets my vote!

The other stone with the chip could be re-cut or possibly put in a bezel setting to hide the chip depending on how bad it is.

Chicken821

Rough_Rock
I don’t have any good pictures of the large stone. I haven’t had it appraised but this was the information I was given by a GIA appraiser who looked at it.
Honestly, this stone size is likely too large for my lifestyle, but I may grow into it.

The others have more sentimental value. The chip is fairly noticeable on one, and the other is lovely. Regarding necklaces, I wear a very simple Tiffany diamonds by the yard and generally nothing else, so I doubt I would get much use out of a pendant!

Chicken821

Rough_Rock
I’ll try to take photos of the stone later on.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have four legit diamond engagement rings and a couple of sims that I rotate as my left hand ring.

So if you want a one carat Tiffany (replica) solitaire, go for it. I don’t think Tiffany will set outside stones, but plenty of replica settings are available.

Can’t wait to see pics!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Their main use is to be looked at (attempted humour.)

It is nice to have a couple of pieces of jewelry that are not even meant for frequent wear, as long as they do get out of the box a few times a year.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i would really like to reset the 1ct into a Tiffany solitaire, but worried about the idea of having two ERs that I switch out. Not sure if this will seem weird.

I have four "bringing my A game" engagement rings as well as half a dozen more that I like, and probably ten bands... I wear whatever I want depending on my mood or outfit. I know plenty of people who have a second engagement ring for whatever reason.

As others have mentioned, necklaces of either 1 or 2 ct diamonds really aren't heavy. They look pretty delicate on and are very lightweight. The trick is just to find the right setting. If you usually wear a DBTY, I would get a pendant made slightly longer than it, so it drops 1-2 inches below the DBTY for layering.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A bracelet or bangle?

The large 2.3ct can be on its own in an open bangle like this one that belongs to another PSer, and it will be stunning:

How about a pendant for the larger stone?

The smaller pair can be set in another open bangle at the ends.

If the stones were mine, that's what I would do, to reset them into items to be worn on my right hand wrist.

How about a bypass ring for the smaller stones, and the larger one as a solitaire on it's own?

Time to start a ring wardrobe perhaps? :Up_to_something:

I have two RHRs, one with a small EC about 0.48ct that I wear on a daily basis, and the large EC at 1.19ct comes out for more formal occasions.

However, I have a good selection of CS and pearl rings that I can wear on my other hand.

I only wear one ring per hand.

DK :))

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was going to suggest a bangle too - I love the simple bezel one posted above as it’s such a wearable style and will fit with dressed up or down.

You say you don’t want a RHR but would you wear a second ring on your left hand if you prefer to have only one engagement ring? Maybe something for your index or middle finger? I personally love big and bold index finger rings and it could give you a use for either the 1ct or the larger stone, or even for both the smaller stones if you went for a toi et moi style (as long as the setting was protective for the chipped stone).

As they are inherited stones would you be happy with something that’s for occasional wear in a dressier style or would you want to be wearing them very regularly? I think the answer to that could point you towards a more specific style or use for them.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know it's not what you asked, but that would make one killer three stone ring!!

Re the chip: there was a PSer who had a badly chipped oec repaired and it came out wonderfully maybe someone remembers the thread or the name?

Chicken821

Rough_Rock
All good ideas! The one is quite badly chipped indeed. Would be curious as to how to repair it!
I am leaning towards having the 1ct made into a solitaire, and switching my ER out from time to time. I seem to have the right jewelry for every day and never switch anything out, so it’s hard to add new pieces! I wear a pinky ring on my right hand so I find that RHRs look funny on the ring finger next to it.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I was also thinking of a three/five stone ring & @kipary said it!

If the stones are set low, these are more bands than rings.

Last edited:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Found the thread;

Look what @Wewechew did!!!! GORGEOUS

Chicken821

Rough_Rock
Wow, that’s amazing. The chip in mine is similar, maybe a bit worse. I have been told I’d lose 40-50% cw to recut.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results