shape
carat
color
clarity

I need a food processor recommendation please

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had never owned one. Bought a cheapy a year ago just to see how often I might use it/was it worth it. It was so cheap, I can't tell lol. So, I have looked, read reviews, and I was fine with the one I am linking, til I read the one star reviews. Then I was like, no. I could do this with every one. Now I am confused and paralyzed. I need help. And I really don't want to spend more than what this is. To me, this is a lot of money for what it is. I realize I may be out of touch, and cheap. :bigsmile: Help please?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...AXM4WV2&linkCode=as2&tag=bestprodtag114450-20

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Ellen I am not a cook but I love my Vitamix. I think it can also be used as a food processor but not completely sure. However if it can be used as one I wholeheartedly recommend it. I love it so much I have two (one at each home) and it has so many uses. Soups, desserts, smoothies etc. Immensely versatile and useful and easy to use and clean which is a must for me. HTH and good luck in your search.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Magimix 5200 XL

I lusted after one of these for ages, finally got one recently, and it is great.

I bought one listing that came with many extras, and the spiraliser attachment was free as a promotional gift after purchase.

Love mine to bits.

DK :))

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys! I will now look these up.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
dk, is this the one? Not saying you haven't had great luck, but these review ratings are not great.
scratchhead.gif

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00E0FSWXS/amztowps-20

And Missy, Vitamix is just too cost prohibitive. But thanks anyway!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And Missy, Vitamix is just too cost prohibitive. But thanks anyway!

Sorry @Ellen. OK so I did some research for you. Here are the top CR recommended brands. HTH.

foodprocessors.jpg.png

This one was by far the best according to CR.
Though if one looks at user reviews those are always much more dismal than the CR testing. Sorry I have no real life experience with any of these.

foodprocessor.jpg.png

Here are the most liked negative and positive review if that helps you at all.

posandneg.jpg.png

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Missy, I will check them out.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have a Costco membership they usually have a Cuisinart online or in the store. I bought mine there and sometimes there are extra attachments in a Costco package.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was actually JUST looking at americas test kitchen reviews on food processors. They said not to spend *too* much - they do rigorous testing and their favourite is: Cuisinart Custom 14 which is $195 on amazon, but I'm not sure if thats CAD or USD.
FWIW I love my vitamix as well, but prefer a separate food processor for its many more abilities!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't know they made anything besides a Cuisinart. Now bread machines are a different matter.

AGBF

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you have a Costco membership they usually have a Cuisinart online or in the store. I bought mine there and sometimes there are extra attachments in a Costco package.
Afraid I don't have a membership, but thanks!

I was actually JUST looking at americas test kitchen reviews on food processors. They said not to spend *too* much - they do rigorous testing and their favourite is: Cuisinart Custom 14 which is $195 on amazon, but I'm not sure if thats CAD or USD.
FWIW I love my vitamix as well, but prefer a separate food processor for its many more abilities!
Thanks. Will check it out. And yeah, this is definitely the most I'd want to pay.

I didn't know they made anything besides a Cuisinart. Now bread machines are a different matter.

AGBF
Deb, who's "they"? lol Are you saying you didn't know there was a FP made by anyone other than Cuisinart?

dk, thanks anyway!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Serious Eats rated the Magimix (14 cup), the Breville Sous Chef (12 cup and 16 cup versions) and the Cuisinart (14 cup) highly. https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/10/best-food-processor-equipment-review.html

Cooks Illustrated also always rates the Cuisinart as being their top pick. They also used to rate Kitchen Aid highly (which is what I have - an older model Kitchen Aid) but the new design features have resulted in it being seriously downgraded. If I were to ever replace my old FP, I'd seriously look at either the Breville or the Cuisinart - likely in a 14 - 16 cup capacity. My old one is 12 cups, but is sometimes too small for doing things like pasta dough, pie crust and the like (which is where I find my food processor excels). I also use mine for shredding cheese, grating Parmesan, chopping nuts, and doing large scale veggie prep if I am cooking for a crowd. I have a Vitamix as well, but it's really best for pureeing things (smoothies, soups and the like), and it's not that great for the kinds of things that you'd want to use a food processor for. I think a well stocked kitchen probably needs both a blender and a food processor (but I cook a lot, so that's just me).

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Serious Eats rated the Magimix (14 cup), the Breville Sous Chef (12 cup and 16 cup versions) and the Cuisinart (14 cup) highly. https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/10/best-food-processor-equipment-review.html

Cooks Illustrated also always rates the Cuisinart as being their top pick. They also used to rate Kitchen Aid highly (which is what I have - an older model Kitchen Aid) but the new design features have resulted in it being seriously downgraded. If I were to ever replace my old FP, I'd seriously look at either the Breville or the Cuisinart - likely in a 14 - 16 cup capacity. My old one is 12 cups, but is sometimes too small for doing things like pasta dough, pie crust and the like (which is where I find my food processor excels). I also use mine for shredding cheese, grating Parmesan, chopping nuts, and doing large scale veggie prep if I am cooking for a crowd. I have a Vitamix as well, but it's really best for pureeing things (smoothies, soups and the like), and it's not that great for the kinds of things that you'd want to use a food processor for. I think a well stocked kitchen probably needs both a blender and a food processor (but I cook a lot, so that's just me).
Thank you for the link. Two are cost prohibitive. The Cuisinart is one I have been looking at, but reading the 1 star reviews on Amazon, of which there is 12% of 1348 people, does not leave me feeling confident. I really find the pro reviews vs. the user reviews confusing.
hmmm.gif

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a higher end cuisinart, honestly I don't think it is worth it. I use it maybe once or twice a year. I do cook often, but I find it more of a pain to use and clean than to just cut things up by hand or use my stand mixer or blender. For making dough I much prefer the mixing stand.

I would definitely recommend purchasing a basic, budget friendly model. And dishwasher safe is a must!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

My Mom has the Cuisine Art--all bells and whistle's. She wouldn't part with it. I have a small entry level Kitchen Aid and (and their mixer) and it is all I need and want.

cheers--Sharon

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a higher end cuisinart, honestly I don't think it is worth it. I use it maybe once or twice a year. I do cook often, but I find it more of a pain to use and clean than to just cut things up by hand or use my stand mixer or blender. For making dough I much prefer the mixing stand.

I would definitely recommend purchasing a basic, budget friendly model. And dishwasher safe is a must!
That would be me too.
Yanno, between the prices and the bad reviews, I'm seriously thinking about scratching the whole idea. I've been cooking for almost 40 years without one, why stop now? It's just a handful of recipes I wanted it for, and for chopping oats. But, I think I'll live.

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Costco has $50 dollars off a Cuisinart that is 12 cups right now. It's a nice one, and you know Costco will stand by it.

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Ellen, I inherited my grandparents 1980s food processor and it finally broke (not the motor, just a plastic part I couldn't get a replacement for) a few years ago. I didn't replace it because I had my mini-prep. It's 30 bucks and for the two of us... it did everything I needed. Eventually Macy's had a discontinued Cuisinart on some ridiculous clearance. I think I paid $50 for it, so I bought it last year. I've used it twice. Overall, I shouldn't have even spent that much.

That said, if I still lived near my in laws, and was still hosting larger parties and holidays, I'd probably appreciate it a lot more. It's very much a lifestyle gadget. Like the Crock Pot. I gave that puppy away. And every time my husband looks at an Instant Pot I remind him.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen, I inherited my grandparents 1980s food processor and it finally broke (not the motor, just a plastic part I couldn't get a replacement for) a few years ago. I didn't replace it because I had my mini-prep. It's 30 bucks and for the two of us... it did everything I needed. Eventually Macy's had a discontinued Cuisinart on some ridiculous clearance. I think I paid $50 for it, so I bought it last year. I've used it twice. Overall, I shouldn't have even spent that much.

That said, if I still lived near my in laws, and was still hosting larger parties and holidays, I'd probably appreciate it a lot more. It's very much a lifestyle gadget. Like the Crock Pot. I gave that puppy away. And every time my husband looks at an Instant Pot I remind him.
Now that one I use enough to warrant it. The IP? I bought one, and rarely use it. It has a crock pot option on it, but it is pathetic, truly. If it worked well, I'd get rid of my crock. It IS nice to use in that it get's the job done fast, but just not sure it's worth it. Part of that is because of clean up. The lid has a rubber ring that fits inside that has to come out and be cleaned, plus the venting thing, too much work. lol I am getting old and getting tired of cleaning stuff! :lol-2:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the Breville and I love it. I love it so much, I bought my daughter one as well. I use it a few times a month at most, but even if I used it less, I would still be happy to have it. It works perfectly and does the job I need it to every time. I make a few recipes that call for a food processor but mostly I use it for shredding cheese or slicing meat. I have never found a Breville appliance that I didn't love and I have quite a few, but not all they have. I always purchase them at BBB and get the 20 percent discount. If they don't have them in the store, I order them in store and then can use the coupon.
One thing I especially appreciate about Breville, is that replacement parts are easy to get and not overpriced. I have replaced the whisks on my hand blender and a part for the grinder in my expresso maker.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This funny but I bought a mini one a few years ago thinking I'd at least use it for chopping onion and that kind of thing, but I have never used it!!!!! A knife is quick and much easier to just put in the dishwasher to clean and takes up less room!

I have been looking through kitchen appliances for a future registry for my daughter, and it is very hard to identify a really good appliance of any kind because most have a percentage of really negative reviews. My feeling, in that case, is to go for one that is not expensive so if it only lasts a couple of years, you can throw it away without much pain!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Luv, interesting. I have never owned anything by Breville, and I have owned a lot through the years. Maybe I will give that brand a second glance. Thanks!

ds, I hear ya on clean up. A knife is like in and out of the drawer in no time. And the negative reviews are what stymie me. It's like, 5000 great reviews and 100 bad, but you wanna think they weren't even using the same item! :lol-2: :cry2:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of the versions of the stick blender comes with a chopping blade and cup. If all you want to do is chop onions, you might want to look at it. I have two of those and use it almost every day. I bought one for the 5th wheel too. I wore out the whisk and went to the website and replaced it for a couple bucks. I bought a few extra at the time because they were so cheap.
I own the fast/slow pro, which s a combo slow cooker and pressure cooker, a barista machine, ice cream maker (amazing, you don’t need to freeze bowls ever), stand mixer and hand mixer, and food processor. I don’t own their coffee pot because I thought it was too expensive for what you got and bought a cuisinart that grinds the beans and was a hundred dollars less. But I have been happy with every single Breville item I own. I think they are worth the money, but I always at least get 20% off. I often find Breville appliances at TJ Maxx/HomeGoods so keep your eye out for that. Oh, I have their hot water pot that heats up for specific tea. Another would do just fine, but I like that I can change the heat settings and it looks nice sitting on my counter, lol. I cook a lot, although a little less now. But I really enjoy having appliances that I can depend on. I admit, I am a bit of a Breville junkie though.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
One of the versions of the stick blender comes with a chopping blade and cup. If all you want to do is chop onions, you might want to look at it. I have two of those and use it almost every day. I bought one for the 5th wheel too. I wore out the whisk and went to the website and replaced it for a couple bucks. I bought a few extra at the time because they were so cheap.
I own the fast/slow pro, which s a combo slow cooker and pressure cooker, a barista machine, ice cream maker (amazing, you don’t need to freeze bowls ever), stand mixer and hand mixer, and food processor. I don’t own their coffee pot because I thought it was too expensive for what you got and bought a cuisinart that grinds the beans and was a hundred dollars less. But I have been happy with every single Breville item I own. I think they are worth the money, but I always at least get 20% off. I often find Breville appliances at TJ Maxx/HomeGoods so keep your eye out for that. Oh, I have their hot water pot that heats up for specific tea. Another would do just fine, but I like that I can change the heat settings and it looks nice sitting on my counter, lol. I cook a lot, although a little less now. But I really enjoy having appliances that I can depend on. I admit, I am a bit of a Breville junkie though.
No, I have a Pampered Chef chopper that I use if I have a big load to do (more than an onion), but otherwise I just use a knife. What I really wanted it for was basically a handful of recipes I have run across that called for one. In particular, energy balls. They often call for medjool dates to be processed, along with other stuff. But looking at the Breville price tag, I think I'll pass. Even if I got a 20% discount, I just don't think I'd use it enough to warrant that. But thanks for chiming in!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results