shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you set this 8.6ct Hot Pink Tourmaline Pear

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We recently acquired an 8.63ct, 16.0x11.2x8.1, hot pink tourmaline pear from Madagascar. This tourmaline might be considered pendant size but DW is adamant it's going to be a ring. I completely agree because, if it has to go in rotation around her beautiful neck, I'll only get to see it once every blue moon! :eek2: Fortunately with a ring size of 7 3/4 her finger is plenty big enough to accommodate this stone. =)2

The jewelry we have commissioned so far has tended to have a simple diamond halo, but this time we are looking for something different. We have absolutely zero experience with rings, and are thinking we need some kind of side stone arrangement. Any suggestions on what works well with pears?

Pink Tourmaline 1 (2).jpg Pink Tourmaline 2.jpg

IRL the color is more uniform than in the photos.

voce

Ideal_Rock
The size and color are just fantastic!

My first thought is to go with baguettes, either off to the side, or baguettes in the halo itself for a fancier style.

https://goo.gl/images/VayM9z
https://goo.gl/images/tckc4o
https://goo.gl/images/wDkxhM

Seeing how bit that tourmaline is, though, my second thought is to get a custom filigree setting around it, similar to https://goo.gl/images/61sTjt
That way the impact of the huge gem will be there front and center, with interesting detailing on the side! You don't need too much bling to go with the stone!

Reactions: prs

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous stone!!!! I don't have much to add in terms of setting advice, but anything you do is going to be incredible.

passions4purples

Rough_Rock
Ooooh - gorgeous! I'm not sure if I'd do baguettes with it or trillions though. I love trillion cut with pears.
Something like this, maybe:
pear with tri.jpg
You could use colorless stone for the sides, but I also think either a paler pink tourmaline or a nice dark sapphire could set off the color of the center stone gloriously.

Another option could be something like this:
https://www.fascinatingdiamonds.com...d-engagement-ring-with-baguettes/620p6m186s7c

That would let you use both colorless stones and CS in the design.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A pendant would be nice but if it has to be a ring I’d go for a halo! :)

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Bron357 we hadn't thought of using something other than diamonds, but a Windex colored halo is definitely a consideration.

@passions4purples trillions look really good too. They would need to be quite large to be of scale with this pear, so stones less costly than diamonds would definitely be preferable!!

@voce not sure about a baguette halo, the photo looks great but our pear is big enough as it is! I like your second thought better.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I would do a halo with diamonds or Paraiba melee

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd vote for a halo but hey no fear of big stones from this corner of the peanut gallery ;-) how about something like this? (Lets hope you can see it!) It keeps it clean lined and wearable for all occassions.
il_570xN.1542049184_mxvd.jpg

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The vendor who sold us the tourmaline also had a Mahenge spinel. We compared the stones side by side and the colors were almost identical. So this is what our pear might look like with a diamond halo, thanks @chrono :))

Pear Chrono 1.jpg

I'm still looking for a photo of a Mahenge with a Paraiba halo. All other ideas are welcome.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your gem is stunning.
It will look amazing set with diamonds, but unfortunately that’s how 99% of coloured gems are set. So that’s a bit boring I think.
Set with Paraiba it will look spectacular and unique - well that’s my opinion anyway.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your gem is stunning.
It will look amazing set with diamonds, but unfortunately that’s how 99% of coloured gems are set. So that’s a bit boring I think.
Set with Paraiba it will look spectacular and unique - well that’s my opinion anyway.
Hi Bron, I agree with everything you say, that's why, in my OP, I asked for something different. A Paraiba halo is still very much in the picture, the photo of Elle's beautiful Paraiba with pink halo isn't really representative because the ratio of pink to blue is way out of whack. I'm still looking for a good photo, and if I can't find one will go to the trouble of developing Photoshop skills if necessary!!! Would you put Paraiba or diamonds on the shank and gem support structure?

My wife and I have very eclectic tastes, and of course she will make the final decision. We celebrated our 37th wedding anniversary last month, so our tastes are pretty much attuned (that's husband speak for "I am very well trained!" :D) so I see my job as gathering together the best options so she can make her decision, and put the final finishing touches to the design.

We aren't in any hurry, and will take our time to get this right. Again all ideas are welcome, including those with diamonds. :mrgreen2:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Bron, I agree with everything you say, that's why, in my OP, I asked for something different. A Paraiba halo is still very much in the picture, the photo of Elle's beautiful Paraiba with pink halo isn't really representative because the ratio of pink to blue is way out of whack. I'm still looking for a good photo, and if I can't find one will go to the trouble of developing Photoshop skills if necessary!!! Would you put Paraiba or diamonds on the shank and gem support structure?

My wife and I have very eclectic tastes, and of course she will make the final decision. We celebrated our 37th wedding anniversary last month, so our tastes are pretty much attuned (that's husband speak for "I am very well trained!" :D) so I see my job as gathering together the best options so she can make her decision, and put the final finishing touches to the design.

We aren't in any hurry, and will take our time to get this right. Again all ideas are welcome, including those with diamonds. :mrgreen2:
Congrats on 37 years - wow.
Me, I would stick to 2 or 3 mm Paraiba around and I’d do it in rose gold and leave the shoulders/ ring plain.
I don’t think you’ll see much of the shoulders once that beauty is wearing her Paraiba crown.
If you were to do something even more different, I see like a donut halo ie curved shaped and 3 dimensional and in that case I’d choose wee melee in Paraiba and diamonds “sprinkled” all over.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Have you considered setting as a convertible ring/pendant? That way you get to wear as a ring when you feel like it or pendant when you run out of finger space :lol:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you considered setting as a convertible ring/pendant? That way you get to wear as a ring when you feel like it or pendant when you run out of finger space :lol:
I like this idea!!! I think a convertible style is unique and will make sure it gets worn a lot over time

passions4purples

Rough_Rock
If you're still considering side stones, this is a fun combination of side stones with halo.

sidehalo.jpg

Attachments

• sidehalo.jpg
    sidehalo.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 24

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Excellent idea icy_jade....we'll do it!!!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:think:
If you're still considering side stones, this is a fun combination of side stones with halo.

sidehalo.jpg
Hi @passions4purples we did some measuring this morning and decided 18 mm would be the widest ring DW could comfortably wear. Given the tourmaline is already 11.2 mm wide, that only leaves 3 mm per side for side stones! Thanks for the suggestions, they did get me thinking and measuring, but it looks like we only have room for a halo. :(2

Attachments

• Pink Tourmaline and Zircon.jpg
    Pink Tourmaline and Zircon.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Paraiba.jpg
    Paraiba.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 47

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just looked at 600 pink tourmaline rings on Ebay and not one of them had a Paraiba halo! The closest I came was a Tourmaline and Zircon bypass ring. The colors do look good together.
Pink Tourmaline and Zircon.jpg

I did find a ring that matches Bron's donut halo in Paraiba and diamond idea; very interesting!

Paraiba.jpg

If anyone comes accross a photo of a pink stone with a Paraiba halo, please post! :))

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much @Mrs_Strizzle the colors are lovely. I suspect Yvonne might be the only source of Paraiba melee.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yvonne does have Paraiba melee in various sizes, here's a photo of her largest; the 1.6 mm.

Pink Tourmaline 3 Paraiba Melee.jpg

I showed this to my wife last night and it took her all of a second to decide she didn't like it, two color rings are not her thing!

Sorry Bron, but it looks like we will be joining the 99%, and going with a diamond halo. :eek2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not have a photo to hand, however I have always liked Chrono's diamond halo for her gorgeous Mahenge Spinal pear.

DK :))

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
We recently acquired an 8.63ct, 16.0x11.2x8.1, hot pink tourmaline pear from Madagascar.

Pink Tourmaline 1 (2).jpg Pink Tourmaline 2.jpg

IRL the color is more uniform than in the photos.

:love: That it my dream tourmaline!!! The color!!! :love::love::love:

I think a vintage inspired diamond halo would be how I would set her. I can’t wait to see what you do.

Incredible!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results