shape
carat
color
clarity

How many chevrons?

londonbased

Rough_Rock
How do I work out how many chevrons a princess cut diamond has? I have heard 3 is the preferred number.

In the below diamond - can I tell how many chevrons it has? Or is a photo alone not sufficient?

A03EF907-A681-4C8E-9544-1519E33B564F.jpeg BB9BAB7B-F0B4-49F1-9DD1-0FFCA02369DA.jpeg

londonbased

Rough_Rock
Mainly looking to work out how much fire and brilliance it will have..

londonbased

Rough_Rock
Found some more images above

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mainly looking to work out how much fire and brilliance it will have..

Chevrons wont tell you that. Chevrons will give you an idea of how many facets there are and their size. More facets, smaller flashes of light seen more
up close. Less facets will give you some bigger flashes of light (but less facets) that may be seen more at a distance. This is all "in general" info. The stone
must be well cut which you pretty much will only know with an ASET image, AGS000 grading and possibly up close video.

This stone has a pretty decent aset. Slight loss in the corners of the table but thats fairly normal (no worries IMO). It has 4 chevrons. See the back of
the clarity plot you posted. The big X in the center does not count.
Capture.PNG

My idea as far as chevrons...the smaller the stone the less chevrons it can handle. The bigger the
stone the more chevrons it can handle. I think it is more personal opinion. What do you like to
see when you look at a princess cut stone?

londonbased

Rough_Rock
That’s a very helpful explanation of chevrons. It’s a 1.50 carat stone. I wonder whether 4 chevrons will be too many - I’m not sure what I prefer as I’ve not compared 2/3/4 chevron diamonds. I think something in the middle of the two extremes of 2 and 4 would be nice

londonbased

Rough_Rock
Also would more chevrons hide or expose colour more? If it’s a H colour, generally would that appear more white with 4 chevrons. Or does it make no difference whatsoever?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go look on James Allen at over 1 carat stones. You should be able to look at their GIA reports to see how many chevrons they have. See if one
Faceting pattern appeals to your more than the other. So this is all based on logic (in my mind) and not personal experience. Less facets (less chevrons, bigger
facets) I would think would tend to face up more brighter/whiter looking. More facets (more chevrons, smaller facets) more chance for color
entrapment (show more color). H is my opinion is still fairly white. Color usually shows up in the corners of the table where there is leakage.

These stones are examples of 3 chevrons.

3 chevrons
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.51-carat-g-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-5374450
3 chevrons but looks like more...this stone looks leaky
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.71-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-6122014
Another 3 chevron (ignore the inclusion and just look at the faceting)
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.50-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-sku-5987531

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
If anyone has a photo of a 2-chevron princess cut, I'd love to sew it! My curiousiity-driven search on James Allen was unsuccessful....

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess today is my day for going around and just “liking” everything @tyty333 says :mrgreen2:

londonbased

Rough_Rock
From the videos I can certainly see a small difference between 3 and 4 chevrons.

@Karl_K thanks for that link - it’s a helpful and comprehensive explanation of chevrons.

Is there a general consensus on how many chevrons a 1.50ct stone looks best in? I realise this is mostly personal preference

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Is there a general consensus on how many chevrons a 1.50ct stone looks best in?
No not really.
3 is the most common.
2 is probably the least common.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results