shape
carat
color
clarity

Hope the President does a good job for USA

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for posting this. My biggest hopes are that he keeps reining in the bureaucracy that is riddled with duplicative programs and makes agencies do a better job of negotiating government contracts that are not gravy trains wasting money - especially the defense ones. Perhaps the defense budget would not be so big if it weren't for outrageously overpriced contracts. Of course Neil Gorsuch is a win - BIGLY. The failures are ones we have been complaining about all along. Damn that Twitter account most of all.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This article is beyond absurd. This quote alone proves that the author has no understanding of what's actually happening in this administration:

If you are Vladimir Putin’s Russia, you have been set back on your heels by the unpredictable new president of the United States, finding your Syrian puppet state on the receiving end of 59 Tomahawk missiles.

Putin is laughing at us for being stupid enough to allow his puppet to be POTUS. Nothing Trump has done has been good for anyone except Russia.

If you are an American company thinking about shipping jobs overseas, you are thinking again, thanks to Trump

HA! This is demonstrably false. Trump likes to say that he's stopping companies from shipping jobs overseas, but he's wrong and lying (as per usual).

I can't pull out all the wrong quotes, because they exist continuously throughout the article. This is written by someone who doesn't know what is going on, and is a Trump supporter divorced from reality. Harsh? Mean? Maybe. But it's true, and I'm sick of dancing around it.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Would like to see replies with more than the usual talking points.

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
Just a response to the first few paragraphs; I haven't finished reading:

- Isn't North Korea testing long and medium-range missiles weekly, nowadays? That's a marked increase of their activities.

- Carrier, that manufacturer that Trump pressured to keep jobs in Indiana, is laying off over 600 people and many of those jobs are moving to Monterrey, Mexico.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That article is ridiculous. I don't understand how anyone can say Trump is doing a good job at this point. Even my staunch republican friends are done defending him.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
No liberal agrees with anything Trump has done thus far? I'm speaking of policy, not tweets, etc.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No liberal agrees with anything Trump has done thus far? I'm speaking of policy, not tweets, etc.
No, I don't. First of all, he's done almost nothing except executive orders, since his actual stuff about taxes and healthcare is so garbage that not even the GOP can help make it work. He tried to get a Muslim ban and failed twice, which now he's whining about. He hasnt actually saved any jobs or done anything that was useful to the country.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you are against requiring agencies to get rid of two regulations if they want to impose a new one? Or requiring agency heads to review their budgets, policies and spending for duplicative efforts and unnecessary overages? Or renegotiating contracts to gain better value for our taxpayer dollar?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a vast difference and cognitive dissonance between cheeto's policy ideas and their implementation. At this point, he gets an F- at implementation. Lower health costs and increase coverage? Great. Reality is that millions would lose coverage, especially those who need it most and costs would increase for those who can least afford it. In addition, the reps have recently managed to exempt birth control from coverage. Again, harming those who need it most.

Keep us safe. Great. Reality is that the Muslim ban would have done little to keep us safe and the wall is too expensive to build.

Leave NATO because it's obsolete and costly to us? He changed his mind.

Leave the Paris Accord. Did that and we will still continue to meet our obligations in spite of him.

Get rid of 2 regulations for every new one? Sounds like a kindergarten exercise. The better way is to do an in-depth analysis of each agency and get rid of unnecessary operating procedures. Make each agency prepare a report for him describing how they'll meet certain performance targets and then tie their budgets to their success/failure.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you are against requiring agencies to get rid of two regulations if they want to impose a new one? Or requiring agency heads to review their budgets, policies and spending for duplicative efforts and unnecessary overages? Or renegotiating contracts to gain better value for our taxpayer dollar?

Federal laws are not closets: A new shirt comes in, and old one gets tossed.

E B

Ideal_Rock

This article you posted was a literal compilation of talking points. The author even used the term "fake news industry." If that's supposed to be the be-all-end-all of conservative viewpoints, I'm embarrassed for said conservatives.

If you want the Supreme Court to call balls and strikes and not overstep its bounds by legislating from the bench, you will be dancing in the street for decades thanks to Donald Trump’s inspired pick of Neil Gorsuch.

:lol::lol::lol: This one never fails to get me. When it's a 'liberal' judge, said person is an activist 'legislating from the bench.' Only the conservatives (sorry, the not at all political judges) stay true to the constitution :lol: and have no political motivation whatsoever. I mean, do you truly and honestly believe this to be the case?

Matata hit the nail on the head- this is a conservative wishlist that the president, who the author pretty correctly described at the end of the article, is barely stumbling his way into, and doing far more damage in the process. Sorry, but that's not good enough for the rest of us.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a vast difference and cognitive dissonance between cheeto's policy ideas and their implementation. At this point, he gets an F- at implementation. Lower health costs and increase coverage? Great. Reality is that millions would lose coverage, especially those who need it most and costs would increase for those who can least afford it. In addition, the reps have recently managed to exempt birth control from coverage. Again, harming those who need it most.

Keep us safe. Great. Reality is that the Muslim ban would have done little to keep us safe and the wall is too expensive to build.

Leave NATO because it's obsolete and costly to us? He changed his mind.

Leave the Paris Accord. Did that and we will still continue to meet our obligations in spite of him.

Get rid of 2 regulations for every new one? Sounds like a kindergarten exercise. The better way is to do an in-depth analysis of each agency and get rid of unnecessary operating procedures. Make each agency prepare a report for him describing how they'll meet certain performance targets and then tie their budgets to their success/failure.

Regulations - your idea, which seems to be fine, why has no other president/Congress at least tried something similar? None of them have. They just spend more $ for more programs on top of ones they did not realize already cover the same thing.

As far as the Paris accord - good for us meeting obligations without paying other countries to do nothing.

Healthcare - many of those that will not have coverage will not have it because they "choose" not to have it rather than being forced to buy something by the federal government.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I mean, the last two paragraphs essentially say, "he means well, despite his propensity for self-destruction, and shucks, that's worth something, right?

But he only says he means well. He campaigned on being for the little guy, for the real 'murikan, while he was stiffing his own contractors and daring them to bring lawsuits against him. He was cheating said people out of thousands and thousands with his "university." Etc., Etc. He is massively insecure, has the attention span of an actual cheeto, doesn't care to actually read or learn policy, and is essentially doing whatever he feels like doing at the time. He is far more dangerous than he is good, and shucks, THAT'S what the non-Trump voters recognize.

It's far easier to dupe someone than convince them they've been duped.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sorry, Anna. You won't get a response to this from me. I was willing to engage with one poster here who seemed hard to reach, but this drivel is too stupid even for me. There's a limit to my masochism.

AGBF

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as the Paris accord - good for us meeting obligations without paying other countries to do nothing.
You've swallowed too many fake news pills. The $1 billion the we were voluntarily paying to third world countries was because they were not permitted to use the very fossil fuels that western developed nations plundered for their financial benefit. Those developing economies will have to use other types of resources in order to grow.

I see nothing to be lost, yet a lot to be gained, from richer countries helping poorer ones develop a better standard of living because it ultimately helps all of us.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trump was a showman. Never close to politics. I bet every country has a movie about someone inexperienced suddenly getting power (in US, I think Chaplin's "The Great Dictator" is a prototype - when a timid Jewish barber is taken for the Nazi dictator). In all such movies, the novice usually does a good job because of the ability to think out of the box. But in real life, absence of political experience is not a good thing.

Trump came without a proven "team". The group he hastily put together is not working well; some have resigned already. Lots of positions, domestic and diplomatic, have not yet been filled. Comey, the FBI director, has been fired because Trump poorly understand that the public servant position in a democratic country is not based on personal loyalty.

Trump now is heavily dependent on the GOPs in Congess and Senate. They may be much worse than Trump, he at least does not pretend. It is a marriage of convenience; he needs the GOP and the GOP needs him, too. They (the GOP, Ryan and Co) will use them to achieve what they were unable to do so far, privatize public funds, such as Medicaire. Nothing good will come out of it, we already saw what happened when our prison system became privatized.

Mike Moore is right, the country after Trump will not be the same country as before him. And as always, the middle class will pay the heaviest price.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You've swallowed too many fake news pills. The $1 billion the we were voluntarily paying to third world countries was because they were not permitted to use the very fossil fuels that western developed nations plundered for their financial benefit. Those developing economies will have to use other types of resources in order to grow.

I see nothing to be lost, yet a lot to be gained, from richer countries helping poorer ones develop a better standard of living because it ultimately helps all of us.

And I don't agree with you. But thanks for telling me I swallow too many pills. That is a nice sentiment. I provided detail and discussion while also saying I liked your idea of agency review but then in another thread you admonish me.

Maybe our wires were crossed in the other thread and it wasn't at me. IDK.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe our wires were crossed in the other thread and it wasn't at me. IDK.
In the other thread, if you go back and read what I wrote related to the comments above that starting with AnnaH, you'll see that I was not admonishing you. You are overreacting which you do much more of these past few months than I recall you doing in the past and I'm not going to tiptoe around you anymore worrying about those tender feelings. If you get so upset by what I or others say here and take innocuous comments as insults to your character, perhaps you need a break.

As to the above, the fact that you do not agree with me re: helping make the world better is astonishing. You don't have depth of knowledge on the Paris Climate agreement to discuss it. That you believe we pay other countries to do nothing is wrong and it sounds like a sound byte from Fox News -- that is where the fake news pills comment comes in.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the other thread, if you go back and read what I wrote related to the comments above that starting with AnnaH, you'll see that I was not admonishing you. You are overreacting which you do much more of these past few months than I recall you doing in the past and I'm not going to tiptoe around you anymore worrying about those tender feelings. If you get so upset by what I or others say here and take innocuous comments as insults to your character, perhaps you need a break.

As to the above, the fact that you do not agree with me re: helping make the world better is astonishing. You don't have depth of knowledge on the Paris Climate agreement to discuss it. That you believe we pay other countries to do nothing is wrong and it sounds like a sound byte from Fox News -- that is where the fake news pills comment comes in.

I did read it which is why I said that.

Miscommunication can happen but it is not about feelings, it should be about civil discourse. You say I know nothing and therefore make a declaration that I cannot discuss it. And take a stretch of my not agreeing with you into I don't want to make the world better and you are astonished. As far as insults to my character that other thread is loaded with them. Maybe I do need a break because I thought at least a few could respect other's views.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And take a stretch of my not agreeing with you into I don't want to make the world better and you are astonished.
You said "and I don't agree with you." You did not clarify what you didn't agree with me about. I'm done for now. Not in the mood to ride a merry-go-round tonight.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
tc, yes N. Korea recently tested missiles, and our military answered by testing defense missiles.
Too bad about the Carrier layoffs; however, unemployment is down.

Not answering the other liberal posters specifically because they didn't say anything. Yes, Trump has experienced failures. Not supporting him for his failures but his successes.

If I overlooked a serious response, I apologize.

I voted for Trump because I thought and hoped he would keep many of his campaign policy promises, which he has. If I approved of HRC's policies, I probably would have voted for her in spite of her flaws. Still don't get why so many liberals don't accept that. For some reason, many liberals are more comfortable believing that people who voted for Trump did so because we are all those nasty ists.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You said "and I don't agree with you." You did not clarify what you didn't agree with me about. I'm done for now. Not in the mood to ride a merry-go-round tonight.
Ok. Have a good night.

FWIW having a conversation with someone who agrees with you is easy. Its difficult when two people do not agree which is where the civil discourse, manners, and respectfulness comes in. I wish our elected officials could do a better job than the public at large.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a SILLY Q...
rotflmao2.gif

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
tc, yes N. Korea recently tested missiles, and our military answered by testing defense missiles.
Too bad about the Carrier layoffs; however, unemployment is down.

Not answering the other liberal posters specifically because they didn't say anything. Yes, Trump has experienced failures. Not supporting him for his failures but his successes.

If I overlooked a serious response, I apologize.

I voted for Trump because I thought and hoped he would keep many of his campaign policy promises, which he has. If I approved of HRC's policies, I probably would have voted for her in spite of her flaws. Still don't get why so many liberals don't accept that. For some reason, many liberals are more comfortable believing that people who voted for Trump did so because we are all those nasty ists.

The increased missile testing by N. Korea and Carrier lay-offs contradict the article. I haven't even gotten to addressing his other points. I personally don't see the merit of this article.

As for Trump's successes, except Gorsuch, I don't see many more. He hasn't passed any legislation. Can you name what campaign policy promises you supported that he's keeping (or waiting for him to keep)?

Trump made a lot of promises, but to me they were naive and displayed lack of deep understanding of the situation (the wall, NATO, Muslim ban, declaring China a currency manipulator, trade hostility towards Germany, pulling out of NAFTA, support of the coal industry). Remember Trump's "who knew healthcare would be so complicated?", and getting schooled by Merkel, Xi, probably by Trudeau as well. I mean it's embarrassing that a candidate would be so ignorant, but it is even more embarrassing that after he got elected he would still be ignorant. It's just too bad the electorate was similarly ignorant to have believed that it would "be so easy, so easy". Middle East peace?!?! Seriously? And so many more.

My flight is boarding.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
It seems to me that the question here is not whether or not President Trump has done anything. It's whether or not he's done what you want him to do.
As an example, tc, you mention NATO. I approve that the President publically pressured other countries to do their part. Many liberals are all about not just redistributing wealth here in America, but internationally, also. The Paris Accord is another example of that redistribution.
tc, you seem to ignore the point that our military is working to protect us from NK missiles. Are you denying my point that employment numbers are improved? That could be because of your haste.
The Trump presidency is still new. He may or may not keep most of his campaign promises. But he does appear to be going that direction so far.
Calling your fellow Americans ignorant because they don't think like you doesn't advance a discussion.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
In another thread, I was told I couldn't be a Christian and support anything Trump. This thread seems like a more appropriate place to address that assumption/accusation.
Anyone who voted for President in November had to overlook moral flaws. I think most pulled the lever for the candidate they thought would implement the policies important to them and our country.
Supporting policies that I think are right for our country isn't supporting everything Trump has ever done or said in his life. Don't understand why that is such a difficult concept for some to grasp.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results