shape
carat
color
clarity

Holiday Tipping

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m hoping to get some opinions on what you girls do for tipping during the holidays.
#1 I have two houses..One in Pa..no one tips in my area when they come but tip a full service as a gift. I give a little more because there are different girls that help the one girl that comes..but she’s not the owner. I’ve had her many years.. In Maryland I have a new cleaning lady that only comes when I call her because we’re not here that much to generate too much stuff to clean. She has only been here four times and I tip her what all my neighbors do each time she comes. Do I give her the whole service fee for Christmas considering she just started and doesn’t come that much? I tend to overtip because I don’t want to undertip so I want to get some opinions.
#2 I get my hair foiled and cut four times a year. I tip her 30% each time...My hair runs around $200 each time. What would you give for a Christmas tip? I hope it’s appropriate to mention money here but I think holiday tipping gives me the most stress.
Thank you! :kiss2:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m hoping to get some opinions on what you girls do for tipping during the holidays.
#1 I have two houses..One in Pa..no one tips in my area when they come but tip a full service as a gift. I give a little more because there are different girls that help the one girl that comes..but she’s not the owner. I’ve had her many years.. In Maryland I have a new cleaning lady that only comes when I call her because we’re not here that much to generate too much stuff to clean. She has only been here four times and I tip her what all my neighbors do each time she comes. Do I give her the whole service fee for Christmas considering she just started and doesn’t come that much? I tend to overtip because I don’t want to undertip so I want to get some opinions.
#2 I get my hair foiled and cut four times a year. I tip her 30% each time...My hair runs around $200 each time. What would you give for a Christmas tip? I hope it’s appropriate to mention money here but I think holiday tipping gives me the most stress.

Although I have my hair foiled every 6 weeks (@ $120-160, depending on if she does root color or roots + highlights), I only have it cut about 3-4 times a year... and the total those times runs around the same as yours. I generally tip 25% every six weeks, and for Christmas, I always give my stylist $100. I don't know if that's considered high or low, but I know she appreciates it.

We just started using a cleaning lady this year. She comes every 4-5 weeks, depending on schedules... (although my husband thinks she comes every 2 months -- oops! ;-) ) We were lucky enough to hire her when she was just starting her business, so we got a super good deal -- I know she charges others more. So, here's my question... if she comes every month to clean at $120, what do you think would be an appropriate tip for Christmas??

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tipping in general: the owner takes care of me both at hair and at nails so takes 100% profit. What is tipping policy? I usually give 20%.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tipping in general: the owner takes care of me both at hair and at nails so takes 100% profit. What is tipping policy? I usually give 20%.

I have always thought that you never tip the owner... basically, because of what you said above. However, I don't know about a Christmas gift.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I might over tip my hairdresser and dog groomer. I give them the cost of a service + tip as a Christmas gift. So my dog groomer gets $150 and my hairstylist gets $100. To me it is worth it for the goodwill.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I might over tip my hairdresser and dog groomer. I give them the cost of a service + tip as a Christmas gift. So my dog groomer gets $150 and my hairstylist gets $100. To me it is worth it for the goodwill.[/

I would have to tip my hairdresser $200..That seems excessive since she gets $30 from me each visit and I only go four times a year. If it was $100 I would do it but $200..

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont really get the whole tipping thing - possibly because of my australian heritage, but more likely for logic's sake. My hair dresser does my hair - and I give her money. The exchange is equal. Why does she not give me a free treatment for Christmas? I dont understand why, as the consumer, the gift only goes one way. It's not like she's underpaid and it's not like she's doing my hair out of the goodness of her heart. My normal hair treatment (full foil with cut and blowdry) costs the best part of $200. If I add a $40 tip to the cost of a treatment and make that the Christmas tip, I'd be spending more on my hair dresser than on most of the members of my family. Not gonna happen.

We tip our trash collection guys $75 each, but I only learnt last year that it's actually illegal for postmen and women to accept tips. So that one went out the window. We give a Christmas tip to our waitresses at the diner we frequent, but it's only a $25 Amazon card and some chocolates. There's 8 of them tho, so this comes to $200. As for our dog groomer - we pay her $150 every 3 weeks to do our dogs, which comes to over $2.5k a year, and I figure that's enough! I feel as though tipping has gotten out of control in the US.

ETA I should have added - I normally give people a card with a hole punched in the corner and a Christmas decoration attached to it with red satin ribbon. I might include chocolates or ginger cupcakes. But that's as far as it runs. We tip the trash guys because we generate a lot of junk, and they're always getting out of their truck to load by hand things which wouldn't fit into our trash cans. There's 2 of them, and we give them $75 each. We tip our diner ladies because they often slip us freebies. On the other hand, we tip minimum 25% every time we eat there.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the other hand, I'd give my vet a kidney for Christmas - or any other time of year - if he needed it. After my husband, that man is the center of my world.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I dont really get the whole tipping thing - possibly because of my australian heritage, but more likely for logic's sake. My hair dresser does my hair - and I give her money. The exchange is equal. Why does she not give me a free treatment for Christmas? I dont understand why, as the consumer, the gift only goes one way. It's not like she's underpaid and it's not like she's doing my hair out of the goodness of her heart. My normal hair treatment (full foil with cut and blowdry) costs the best part of $200. If I add a $40 tip to the cost of a treatment and make that the Christmas tip, I'd be spending more on my hair dresser than on most of the members of my family. Not gonna happen.

We tip our trash collection guys $75 each, but I only learnt last year that it's actually illegal for postmen and women to accept tips. So that one went out the window. We give a Christmas tip to our waitresses at the diner we frequent, but it's only a $25 Amazon card and some chocolates. There's 8 of them tho, so this comes to $200. As for our dog groomer - we pay her $150 every 3 weeks to do our dogs, which comes to over $2.5k a year, and I figure that's enough! I feel as though tipping has gotten out of control in the US.
I agree..I said I tipped $30 but it was $40
when I was charged $200. I get a partial
every other visit..That’s when she gets 30% to make up for not getting my whole head done. I do feel tipping is out of hand. I don’t buy my close friends $200 gifts..My friends would have a heart attack as they wouldn’t be able to reciprocate which they wouldn’t have to..but would feel uncomfortable. The cleaning lady in Maryland gets a tip every time and she charges $200. She’s new so I feel $200 is also excessive. That’s the one I’m having trouble with since she does get a tip each time and her cleaning fee is $200. The girls in Pa charge $160.. I give $100 to the main girl directly to make sure she gets her share and $300 divided between the other girls as they vary and I have to trust the owner to distribute. That’s $400 total..I have an adult son with autism so he has lots of people that are involved with transporting him to his workshop and supervising him when there. That’s where I’m sooooo happy to give a huge gift of money. I also go in and bring them goodies and tell them in person how much I appreciate them.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
On the other hand, I'd give my vet a kidney for Christmas - or any other time of year - if he needed it. After my husband, that man is the center of my world.
Awww..:love:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I totally agree.

ETA: ...but once I start tipping or giving Christmas gifts, I'm afraid it would be rude to stop. UGH! #helpme
Love your hashtag! :lol: Me too!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mamabean, I used to say your signature quote all the time. So true about it's more important to be nice. :wavey:

I tip our house cleaner an extra $20 every time she cleans and I've been debating what to give her for Christmas. My former house cleaners used to get $100 from us at Christmas; but they did an exceptional job (other than being late or never showing up at all). This new gal does a nice job but forgets things and doesn't do any little extras. Her base fee is $95 and it takes her about 2 hours to clean.

I don't have a regular hair dresser these days and always tip them about 20 or 25% so I don't give them anything.

Marcy

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mamabean, I used to say your signature quote all the time. So true about it's more important to be nice. :wavey:

I tip our house cleaner an extra $20 every time she cleans and I've been debating what to give her for Christmas. My former house cleaners used to get $100 from us at Christmas; but they did an exceptional job (other than being late or never showing up at all). This new gal does a nice job but forgets things and doesn't do any little extras. Her base fee is $95 and it takes her about 2 hours to clean.

I don't have a regular hair dresser these days and always tip them about 20 or 25% so I don't give them anything.

Marcy
Thanks Marcy! Yes being nice even works when someone is being mean. It throws them off balance!
I asked my friends..but to be honest they clean their own own homes and do their own hair..so they have no idea. Tips for me go into four digits and it’s getting ridiculous. I’ve also noticed people don’t even say thank you which means it’s expected so no need to comment. I thank everyone for everything but I may just be annoying..I would rather pay a fee whatever it is and do away with tipping..

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mamabean, I’m with you I’d rather they include the tip in their fee and be done with it. I never got a thank you from my former cleaning ladies and that was over 4 Christmas.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always thought that you never tip the owner... basically, because of what you said above. However, I don't know about a Christmas gift.
I did too but i always tip them. I would feel odd not doing it.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I rarely tip my housekeeper during the year, maybe once a month. She charges $180, comes normally weekly or every two weeks (curse you dog and cat hair). She stays all day. She is a terrific cleaner. Also a lovely person and really takes good care of me ( and my home.). I normally tip her $500 for the holidays. I try and give it to her just after thanksgiving so she can use it for her holidays. ( I have pretty bad RA and have had two neck discectomies and fusions. So housecleaning is tough for me to do.)
I tip my dog walker about a month’s pay. $300. I couldn’t walk the dogs for a couple of years because of my neck and back. Now she’s their dog whisperer. They sit in the landing waiting for her to come.
I tip my hair dresser well throughout the year. I’ll see him right before Thanksgiving and probably give him some special toffee.
I think postal workers can accept $20 in cash or gifts. I normally leave him some cash or a gift.
My DD is in college so fortunately no more holiday teacher gifts.
I think that’s it.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fortunately we don’t have the same tipping culture here in the UK. 10% is considered the norm for most things. My best friend is also my hairdresser, so I do tip her 10% each week, but buy her a small gift at Christmas. We agreed a long time ago, when the children were small, that we wouldn’t do formal gifts.

I don’t have a cleaner, or any other people doing things, we don’t have a regular postie, don’t see the bin men, so give extra money to charities at Christmas.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I heard that too so just leave the card and money for her to distribute the way she sees fit. There’s too many different people and they may not be the most regular who show up when I do it. I do give something to the main girl directly so she gets a share. I’m not sure if the owner gives it to them..but I hope so...I do buy a bunch of candy and some other something and leave them in bags on the counter. I make up more than enough bags and she takes them all. @caf
you are VERY generous with your cleaning lady. I wish it was just one person but it’s hard when it’s a bunch of different people but one steady person and the owner. I think I’ll up the group one and give a nicer gift to the main girl. What would you guys do for the girl that has only been to my second home four times and charges $200..is the owner but her cousin helps and I tip her too each time? That’s the one I’m struggling with. Thanks!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to agree that tipping has gotten out of hand.

We tip our doormen, super, maintenance guys, porters and they already get a huge bonus paid for by the shareholders in addition to us tipping them again privately. We live in a co-op and so all bonuses come from us too. Don't ask how we started the double tipping/bonuses but there it is and we cannot stop since they are used to it (been doing this since 1992) and it would not go over well. It adds up...we are spending a lot on their bonuses and Christmas gifts of cash.

As for the rest of the group we tip it's the same old same old and yes it is ridiculous. They are all well paid (by us) and getting cash gifts on top of it all.
I echo what @mrs-b wrote.

The exchange is equal. Why does she not give me a free treatment for Christmas? I dont understand why, as the consumer, the gift only goes one way. It's not like she's underpaid and it's not like she's doing my hair out of the goodness of her heart.

Yup. Exactly.

OTOH if it's a worker who is underpaid that's a different story but that is not the case in my experience. Why am I tipping someone for services when I am paying them handsomely for said services?:doh:

I am saturated with the over tipping and over generous cash giving.:wall:

This year we will be giving holiday gift cash to our beach postman (not our NYC postal workers whoever they are) and our beach garbage men and our service staff in our cooperative (9 people in our building service staff alone and that adds up). That is it I think. Not tipping my hairdresser, not tipping our cleaning people (they get paid very well by us) and I cannot remember who else but I am cutting down this year on christmas cash. I always tip generously throughout the year and pay more than fairly for services so I am confident that is sufficient and this is how it is going down this year. More money for the charities that are near and dear to my heart and that is who is getting the lions share of the money this year.:appl:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I used to have the owner do my hair... and I tipped him too, for the sake of not looking cheap. So I totally understand.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't get my hair done, I do that here. I don't get my nails done either. I tip when I get my car done every 3 months (the guy that does it lives in the neighborhood, he does a damn good job)

Aside from restaurants and the car guy, I do not tip. The company that the city uses ask us not to tip the trash guys, and the postal person is never the same one anyway.

I make cookies for the vet, and they're always doggie friendly (hey things fall, so....) they love the cookies and asked when I'd be making more:lol: I do peanut butter/toffee and cranberry/white chocolate for these guys.

I make cookies for friends. most opt for the crack cookie which contains chocolate so therefore, not dog friendly.

When I lived in the NE I had more service people doing things. Thats really not the case here, so, my outlay on tips is just a lot less.

ALSO I don't give to charity at christmas (WHAAATTTT???) nope, I don't. I give very generously throughout the year, especially those times when they need it most (like for some, its summer!)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa, some of you tip a LOT!:eek-2:

My hair person owns the shop, so I do not tip him throughout the year. I'll add $20 my last visit before Christmas which is about 20%. I don't go to the nail salon often, but I tip 20% there.

My housecleaner as been with me for years. When she charged less, I gave her double for a Christmas gift. But the last time I increased her usual fee, I did not double the amount. I am adding around $60 for her gift. I do not tip on her normal visits. She owns her business.

I have a Fed Ex guy who knows me from his frequent visits which require signatures and the regular mailman. I try to give both of them a card and restaurant gift card (like $25) if I catch them near the holidays.

I am another who does not get excessive tipping. I mainly get tipping for those like waiters who are often paid at or under minimum wage and must have tips to supplement their pay.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Our home is only about 3300 square feet and we only have one, so it isn't anything I need help cleaning as I don't work during the day. I don't know what a tip for that. I would say to do what ever is the norm for the areas though.

Tipping is based on if they are pleasant, polite and follow my specifications. I had my grays touched up yesterday and gave the standard 20%. I don't get my hair done in any difficult or tricky ways often, but last time I did something really different, I had multi color highlights put in. She charged about 100 and I gave her 50 for a tip. Normally here people do 20% and I stick with that, but I was very explicit on how I did not want ANY of the colors to have any red or orange tint to them and she did a great job.

I HATE getting my nails done here ( I like the nails just not the service I receive) I never tip them more than 20%. There are not many places here to choose from and when I go in the ladies literally ask a couple questions only about what I want with the nails and then spend the rest of the time chatting with each other. A full set here is 35-60 depending on what you choose, before tipping and I would not have any issue with generous tipping with them if they were not so RUDE. At first I thought it might be me just having caught them on a bad day where they were needing to discuss something important, but the neighbors around me have all had the same issues and they said they are like this to everyone. :eek2: They ask what you want and then pretend you don't exist until they ask if you like them when you are done. I don't expect people to want to be best buds, but treating people like they are an inconvenience and sneering at them is a bad way to retain customers.

I went to a great nail salon in Florida last year when I was out of town on vacation and the employees there were great. They asked the usual what nails do you want questions but they asked how my day was and even chatted with my friend who came in with me to just hangout with me. THEY got a nice tip.

A little courtesy goes a long way. I would love to get my nails done before I head out on vacation, but will wait till I get till I am there before I do because I avoid having any of the local places do them.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whoa, some of you tip a LOT!:eek-2:

My hair person owns the shop, so I do not tip him throughout the year. I'll add $20 my last visit before Christmas which is about 20%. I don't go to the nail salon often, but I tip 20% there.

My housecleaner as been with me for years. When she charged less, I gave her double for a Christmas gift. But the last time I increased her usual fee, I did not double the amount. I am adding around $60 for her gift. I do not tip on her normal visits. She owns her business.

I have a Fed Ex guy who knows me from his frequent visits which require signatures and the regular mailman. I try to give both of them a card and restaurant gift card (like $25) if I catch them near the holidays.

I am another who does not get excessive tipping. I mainly get tipping for those like waiters who are often paid at or under minimum wage and must have tips to supplement their pay.
I agree! I decided I’m going to give a larger gift to my hairdresser..She is great with my hair and she is always very grateful for whatever I give her. She appreciates the thought too..I always get her something related to what we talk about. She loved her dog..and I saw an apron (she owns a bed and breakfast) that had dogs all over it that looked like her dog..I bought it in the summer and saved it for her. She just loved it more than the money! Still don’t know what to do about the recent hire of the cleaning lady in Maryland. Please tell me what to do..:pray:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She’s my hairdresser and I’m her dental hygienist. She never tips me. :lol:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How much have you spent on the new cleaning lady so far? Maybe make the tip proportional to the amount spent up to this point if you don’t know what people in the area are usually doing? Do you tip her after each time she comes?

Maybe tip her 50-100$ this year and then when she has been around a while and you see if she is doing a great job you can do more next year?

Reactions: caf

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
How much have you spent on the new cleaning lady so far? Do you tip her after each time she comes?

Maybe tip her 50-100$ this year and then when she has been around a while and you see if she is doing a great job you can do more next year?
She charges $200 and I leave her $20 on top of that each time..I think it was too little after reading everyone else’s but she’s the owner so I thought it was good. She’s cleaned the house four times and will clean it again before Christmas.
I like your idea..I think I’ll leave her a hundred dollars and a gift..Actually her cousin helps her so will get an extra gift for her too..Next year I’ll feel better about upping it..

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results