shape
carat
color
clarity

High end crossbody handbag recommendations please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi girls, I am a high end handbag newbie.
My go to crossbody bags are Cole Haan and Tori Burch and Dooney Burke. For vintage I have Coach and Prada crossbody bags. That's it. No Chanel or anything else at that level.

I would like to know what are the top pics of PSers for high end (vintage) handbags and specifically cross body bags as that is all I can wear for comfort's sake. I also like a lightweight bag for comfort and just need to fit my iphone plus and keys and sunglasses and a lip gloss. So not too big and light in weight.

I know there are some purse/handbag experts here.
@ame is one person I can think of who is well versed in this.
So pretty please @ame and anyone else who knows about this topic I'd appreciate it if you could chime in and help a girl out.
nails.gif

Thanks!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to tell you, I bought a pacsafe anti theft crossbody travel purse for $100 for my Canada trip (and cruise soon) and I never did switch over back to my Coach crossbody.

I surprised myself. I love this bag— I mean if I am
Realistic, it’s not fashion forward but it is so incredibly handy that I keep using it. Let me find a link: https://m.zappos.com/p/pacsafe-citysafe-cs200-handbag-teal/product/8708830/color/695

Anyway, I also only wear crossbody bags. I also like Kate Spade brand, Cole Haan and Coach and Lo and Sons has a few.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok I just saw that you don’t want anything big or heavy and while pacsafe does have smaller bags I’m guessing you don’t want one. Kate Spade is what I would recommend for you— she has nice smaller cross body bags that would fit the things you listed.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to tell you, I bought a pacsafe crossbody travel purse for $100 for my Canada trip (and cruise soon) and I never did switch over back to my Coach crossbody.

I surprised myself. I love this bag— I mean if I am
Realistic, it’s not fashion forward but it is so incredibly handy that I keep using it. Let me find a link: https://m.zappos.com/p/pacsafe-citysafe-cs200-handbag-teal/product/8708830/color/695

Anyway, I also only wear crossbody bags. I also like Kate Spade brand, Cole Haan and Coach and Lo and Sons has a few.

Wow it's lovely and so affordable too. See that is what I am having trouble with...the function and beauty of the higher end bags are more challenging to find than the more reasonably priced less high end bags. And that is why for all these decades I have stuck with the less expensive bags. Because they have form and function. And I really love the one you linked. Thank you.

Ok I just saw that you don’t want anything big or heavy and while pacsafe does have smaller bags I’m guessing you don’t want one. Kate Spade is what I would recommend for you— she has nice smaller cross body bags that would fit the things you listed.

I have a few Kate Spade bags and they are cute. But again I am looking for something a bit higher end. I do love some of my Kate Spade bags. Though the blue crossbody from Kate Spade is fading which is annoying as it is only 7 years old and I don't use it much at all.

I think for once I want a "higher" end crossbody *if* I can find a vintage one that has form and function and doesn't break the bank. Louis Vuitton crossbody bags are reasonably priced and seem functional and pretty but not sure where that is on the scale of high end bags. Is LV well regarded? Is it good quality? Thanks.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow it's lovely and so affordable too. See that is what I am having trouble with...the function and beauty of the higher end bags are more challenging to find than the more reasonably priced less high end bags. And that is why for all these decades I have stuck with the less expensive bags. Because they have form and function. And I really love the one you linked. Thank you.

I have a few Kate Spade bags and they are cute. But again I am looking for something a bit higher end. I do love some of my Kate Spade bags. Though the blue crossbody from Kate Spade is fading which is annoying as it is only 7 years old and I don't use it much at all.

I think for once I want a "higher" end crossbody *if* I can find a vintage one that has form and function and doesn't break the bank. Louis Vuitton crossbody bags are reasonably priced and seem functional and pretty but not sure where that is on the scale of high end bags. Is LV well regarded? Is it good quality? Thanks.

I have one LV bag (the piano bag) and it has held up and is still going strong 16 years later. The wallet lost stitching after about 7 years. I have no idea if the quality is still there.

Are they still hand stitched?

My big new thing is the RFID protection in wallets and handbags since our debit card numbers get stolen left and right. It’s so ridiculous. My banker said there is no way to find out how it happens. I have to wire DH cash and close his card in NYC Last year.

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
Have you tried the Hermes "Evelyn"? Suggest you check it out, come in many colours and the leather is very luxurious. 3 different sizes too

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I fell in love with a Hermès bag in the store in Las Vegas but when I looked at it, it was 8k lol.

I might do 1k but ain’t no way I’m doing 8k

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you tried the Hermes "Evelyn"? Suggest you check it out, come in many colours and the leather is very luxurious. 3 different sizes too

Thanks! Will check it out.

I fell in love with a Hermès bag in the store in Las Vegas but when I looked at it, it was 8k lol.

I might do 1k but ain’t no way I’m doing 8k

Haha yes me too. I am willing to go up to maybe 2500K but I think that is my limit. :cool2:

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
I think you should be able to find an Evelyn in that budget missy, if you like the bag...

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like fancy bags, but rarely reach for mine...I have an active and very European lifestyle ( walking everywhere), though, so your needs might vary a lot from mine.

The Chanel ones are super cute and good quality, but extremely heavy for their size due to the thick leather.
The Hermès Evelyn is a great classic and I like the casual yet classy vibe. It doesn't have any extra compartments, though and no lining. No protection for the base either, no zipper... my DH called it "the help yourself to my personal belongings" - bag... so I gave mine to my sister.
I liked the Valentino rockstud cb, but the studs get uncomfortable and the leather very fine, so scratches easily.
LV canvas is a good investment. They hold their value very well, are lightweight and workhorses.
I've seen them so much, though, that they don't qualify as very fancy to me anymore (-no offence to anyone, just a very personal perception). I was very sad, though, when I lost mine this winter.
Their small noè cb bucket bag is cute and lightweight
Or this one?https://fr.louisvuitton.com/fra-fr/produits/lockme-bucket-lockme-nvprod530142v

Have you looked into Goyard? Same canvas , design less common. Quality great. A friend accidentally washed his hand monogrammed wallet in the washing machine and it came out fine!!
http://www.goyard.com/fr/marquage

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
CD6B8E7E-8307-4E09-B0D9-61418AE22A57.jpeg DFCA7DC9-1603-41D2-ACC6-E84BAE0C7164.jpeg I have an old Miu Miu cross body bag very similar to this one but in a lovely light grey. It’s not too heavy and I love the separate zipped compartments for practicality. I think the rouching makes it look a little more dressy but it’s not too much for day wear. It’s not a vintage idea though.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree about LV. It is so copied that everyone and their grandmother has a real or fake one.

I’m also to the point where I’m getting older etc and don’t want to draw attention to myself via an expensive or eye catching purse. I also have fairly modest bling compared to others here.

So it all depends on what makes you comfortable.

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Rebecca Minkoff! I have a beautiful edgy , but classic at the same time. I removed the black chain strap that it came with, and bought a strap from coach with a t rex skeleton attached!!!! It's fab.

Q

Queenie60

I have a small LV bag (supposed to be a men's bag) with a thick fabric strap, have been carrying it for years and it has held up well. I found that as long as you purchase the simple LV bags without a lot of brass, they're light weight. And I am the same - I only carry cross body as it feels very comfortable and I enjoy the hands free.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Rebecca Minkoff! I have a beautiful edgy , but classic at the same time. I removed the black chain strap that it came with, and bought a strap from coach with a t rex skeleton attached!!!! It's fab.

What a great idea to replace the strap! I have a RM bag but don’t like the chain strap it came with so tend to use it as a clutch, which drives me mad after a while. I will be shamelessly copying your idea!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree about LV. It is so copied that everyone and their grandmother has a real or fake one.

I’m also to the point where I’m getting older etc and don’t want to draw attention to myself via an expensive or eye catching purse. I also have fairly modest bling compared to others here.

So it all depends on what makes you comfortable.

@missy Have you checked out Bottega Veneta? My only "fancy" bag is a pre-loved BV and it's just so lovely. They have a few crossbody styles. Beautiful craftsmanship but not showy. Also can be found pretty easily pre-loved. https://www.neimanmarcus.com/Botteg...Top-Pouch-Crossbody-Bag/prod210340081/p.prod?

@whitewave Modest isn't quite the word I would use for your avatar ring ;P ...it is so beautiful, classy, and eye-catching. One of my favorite PS rings.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

LV's are workhorses. I always use my long strap for a crossbody hands free.

My go to crossbody--is a Ferragamo. Men's. The only thing I don't like about it is the black interior--since it is deep I can't see stuff in it. Otherwise it is perfect. Perhaps larger than you want tho.

cheers--Sharon

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll be honest and say that I've always found bags past a certain price pointless. They don't hold things any better - so, why? So the Chanel / Hermes thing is right out for me. This isn't to say I prefer cheap handbags. I like to pitch it in the middle. So to that end, I'm suggesting this:

https://www.neimanmarcus.com/Salvatore-Ferragamo-Small-Leather-Lock-Crossbody-Bag/prod208090088_cat43330758__/p.prod?icid=&searchType=EndecaDrivenCat&rte=%2Fcategory.service%3FitemId%3Dcat43330758%26pageSize%3D30%26No%3D30%26Ns%3DPCS_SORT%26refinements%3D4294914151&eItemId=prod208090088&xbcpath=cat000000_cat000730_cat43330758&cmCat=product

It comes in a larger size if you're interested, but I think - going from what you said - this is probably more the size you're interested in.

I also like Tod's, and they have this:

http://store.tods.com/Tods/US/Reporter-Bag/p/XBMGGTB0200FFXB999

They also have what they call their cross-body bag, but I think it's too large to warrant that description. I think it's somewhere in the 2k vicinity.

If you want to save a bunch of money, I'd go with Longchamp. Not high end, but hardly shabby:

https://us.longchamp.com/products/le-pliage-cuir/crossbody-bag/l1061737c59

I once bought a hand made Sequoia bag straight off the showroom floor in Paris. Most expensive bag I've ever bought. The leather felt like butter.

The dog ate it.

I think there's a message in there somewhere.... :confused2:

ETA Great minds, @canuk-gal!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I'm also a fan of Kate Spade crossbody bags but if you want more high end, I recommend looking at Gucci. Ton of selection of small crossbodies there. Some more ornate and some very classic. IMO, they are lightweight.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That Miu Miu bag is right up my alley. I love the 2 zippered compartments and the dressy look. I don't carry a purse anymore though. I have a Coach wristlet wallet plus phone case. It's so light and easy. I have bad shoulders. In bags, I like utter simplicity and lack of visible branding if possible. Also can't do and don't like chain straps. I hit my car with everything getting in and out and have scratched it.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy Have you checked out Bottega Veneta? My only "fancy" bag is a pre-loved BV and it's just so lovely. They have a few crossbody styles. Beautiful craftsmanship but not showy. Also can be found pretty easily pre-loved. https://www.neimanmarcus.com/Botteg...Top-Pouch-Crossbody-Bag/prod210340081/p.prod?

@whitewave Modest isn't quite the word I would use for your avatar ring ;P ...it is so beautiful, classy, and eye-catching. One of my favorite PS rings.

Awww, thank you!!=)2

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have the Celine Trotteur in yellow and I like it. It can be dressed up or down.

Trotteur.png
oh I love this one, might be a tad small for everyday tho...

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh I love this one, might be a tad small for everyday tho...

Yeah, that one is ridiculously small and fits keys, a phone, and some credit cards. There's also a more practical larger model.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow what gorgeous bags! I love everyone of those bags y'all shared. Thank you. All of them are beautiful.:love:

@canuk-gal thank you and I love that you use a man's bag. That is totally my speed too. I did like one of the LV blue bags I saw while searching but now reading all I am reading about LV here not sure I want to go that way but I do like a workhorse bag. Will check out Ferragamo too thank you. I agree cross body bags are the only bags I use. Need my hands free and I just like the ease of the crossbody. Otherwise when it isn't a crossbody I just have my dh hold my bag for me. Hahaha. So he and I both prefer I use a crossbody.:lol:

@kipari thank you for all those links. Will check them all out. I am in agreement about simple and not flashy without obvious logos and I need compartments. So while the Evelyn is pretty as I checked it out (thank you @Rpb!) it won't work for me.

@Queenie60 thanks and yes agree crossbody bags are so functional and easy.

@bludiva no I haven't checked out Bottega Veneta and will do so. Thank you.

@whitewave I agree with bludiva. Your ring is GORGEOUS.:kiss2:

@lissyflo I love that miu miu. :love: So pretty and feminine. Thanks.

@Alexiszoe thank you, yes that is my style for sure. Sleek and minimalist. I am definitely not showy. I want something that doesn't advertise on the front of the bag and something easy and light and pretty. LOVE that bag you linked.

@baby monster thanks and I do like my Kate Spade bags. I find these lower end bags are more organized inside and come in pretty colors too. I like Gucci as well but dont have any Gucci. Will check it out.

@Snowdrop13 thank you. Will check that out.

@mrs-b hahaha awww poor doggie. Sorry he/she ate that buttery beautiful bag but maybe there is a sign there somewhere. Generally I am with you and don't own any truly high end bags and was thinking for a change I would get one and see what all the fuss is about. But perhaps I am not a high end bag girl? :kiss: I like quality but not really into name brands per se. Just thought for a change of pace. Appreciate your links and am going to check them all out. Thank you.

@Rubybrick LOVE that bag. :love: Thank you.

@JPie I LOVE that bag too. And the size is perfect for me. Just need it for phone keys and lip gloss and if it could hold sunglasses it's a plus but not a deal breaker. That's what the top of my head is for haha.
Totally my style.:love: Thank you.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy you might want to look into this company, I ordered from their kickstarter and I'm currently waiting for my navy "soft" bag.

https://silentgoods.com/

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1887526527/silent-goods-luxury-craft-zero-branding-twice-the

that reminded me, there is a lady in SF who does custom bags, she worked for many years at Hermes i believe, no idea how much these are but may be another option.

http://www.aprilinparis.us/product-gallery

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results