shape
carat
color
clarity

Help!

mrsthomas

Shiny_Rock
Ive been scouring the net looking for a 0.50ct H&A diamond for a project thats been a while in the making. Ive found two that would suit but one is considerably more expensive than the other and Im thoroughly confused as to why seeing as they're both being advertised as 'Super Ideal Cuts'.

The specs are as follows:

DIAMOND ONE:
Report: AGS-104099797022
Shape: Round
Carat 0.507
Color: E
Clarity: VS2
Measurement: 5.11x5.13x3.16 mm
Cut: Ideal
Light Performance: Ideal
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Fluorescence: N
Eye-Clean: Y
Culet: Pointed
Depth %: 61.6
Table %: 55.5
Crown Angle: 34.5
Star: 51
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Crown %: 15.2
Lower Girdle %: 77

DIAMOND TWO
Report: GIA-6192766479
Shape: Round
Carat: 0.50
Color: D
Clarity: VS2
Measurement: 5.09x5.11x3.15mm
Cut: Excellent
Light Performance: Unknown
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Faint
Eye-Clean: Yes
Culet: None
Depth %: 61.7
Table %: 57
Crown Angle: 35
Star: 50
Pavilion Angle: 40.6
Crown %: 15.5
Lower Girdle %: 80

Theres a whopping $800 difference between the two. So, I guess I want to know why and what to look out for in terms of specs from here on in.

Many thanks in advance,
Tanya

aussiemel

Rough_Rock
I'm no expert but I'm guessing the price difference is because of the D colour. I think that probably bumps the price up because it's the highest colour even though there's really no visible difference to most of us between a D and an E. It's a "mind-clean" thing that attracts a premium.

I'm a Mrs Thomas too :)

mrsthomas

Shiny_Rock
I'm no expert but I'm guessing the price difference is because of the D colour. I think that probably bumps the price up because it's the highest colour even though there's really no visible difference to most of us between a D and an E. It's a "mind-clean" thing that attracts a premium.

I'm a Mrs Thomas too :)

Hello Mrs Thomas! Im from Sydney. From which part of Australia do you hail?

PS. The D is the cheaper of the two which makes me even more confused o_O

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Might be to do with the plot. It's there any fluorescence? The crown and pavillion angle of the E are also delicious even with super ideal territory.

Not sure if plots really make such a big price difference. I suspect angle differences not at all. However, fluorescence, if present, would certainly reduce the price.

Apart from that, can't think of anything else.

aussiemel

Rough_Rock
Hello Mrs Thomas! Im from Sydney. From which part of Australia do you hail?

PS. The D is the cheaper of the two which makes me even more confused o_O

Oh that is strange.....hopefully some of the experts will chime in re. the price difference.

I'm in Melbourne :)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrsthomas -

Here's my thread on getting my half ct stone last month. It's a perfectly cut, eye clean stone - and I got it for just over 1k. It's an I1 - so you need to know what you're doing - but this stone is CLEAN and was a huge steal.

There's more like that out there if you know where to look.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-i1-diamond.244266/

E
TA I'm from Sydney also, tho currently living in Boston. We lived in Pennant Hills, Ryde, Carlingford, then Rozelle, Mosman, then up to the Blue Mountains in Glenbrook and Springwood. I love Sydney. :))

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who is offering the stones? Not all "Ideal" stones are created equal. Anyone can call a stone Ideal. Some vendors like WF have all the images that
prove their stones are "Ideal" (H&A, ASET, Idealscope) a long with an AGS000 report that shows Ideal light performance. WF also has the best/easiest
upgrade policy.

Other vendors just say they are "Ideal" with nothing to back it up. In this case you cant really assume its "Ideal" unless they can get you all the images
and the images show that it is ideal.

Can you post all the images for both stones?

Bottom line is you may not be comparing apples to apples.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As a member of the trade I cannot comment on specific stones. I will make some generalized comments about diamonds and cutting that you can use if you like while looking for your perfect diamond.

40.6 can be a fantastic pavilion angle, or a horrible one. It depends on how precise the cutter was and how far the averages for those pavilion angles are spread. If the average deviation is +- .2 or greater, then you will have some of the pavilion angles as high as 40.8 which is great and as low as 40.4 which is not great. At 40.4 and below you are going to have excessive obstruction which will diminish your viewing pleasure. This is the type of problem that will be instantly visible in ASET images.

80% lower girdle facets will have a much skinnier appearance than lower girdle facets of 76 or 77%. This means that the flashes of light from these facets, and from the virtual facets inside the diamond that are formed by them are going to be smaller than the reflections from a shorter lower girdle facet. Smaller flashes of light will have less visible dispersion (fire) than larger flashes of light will.

Although you do not mention the girdle thickness, it is another place that many cutters use to hide weight without any benefit to the viewer. When a diamond is physically smaller than another diamond yet weighs the same, it is likely that the girdle is slightly thicker, allowing weight to be kept which is especially important in price break points such as 1/2 carat and 1 carat where "making the weight" can make huge differences in the price of the diamond.

Wink

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
80% lower girdle facets will have a much skinnier appearance than lower girdle facets of 76 or 77%. This means that the flashes of light from these facets, and from the virtual facets inside the diamond that are formed by them are going to be smaller than the reflections from a shorter lower girdle facet. Smaller flashes of light will have less visible dispersion (fire) than larger flashes of light will.

Wink
Only off the mains, the virtual facets off the lowers will be larger(the longer the lgf% the larger the lower girdle/half facets.)
jointwire.gif
Overall its a bit of a wash on fire potential but it is a bit of a different look but its subtle. I am a fan of 80% lgf% with the right angles.
https://www.pricescope.com/articles/do_pavilion_mains_drive_light_return_modern_round_brilliant

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Also with GIA rounding the near universal( 77,78 ) 77 is 75 and 78 is 80 which is just down right dumb.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Since I do not use GIA reports, I do not suffer as much from their infernal over rounding.

The long skinny mains do not set up as large a virtual mirror inside the diamond, resulting in fewer eye visible scintillation events as the smaller virtual mirrors disappear more quickly than the larger virtual mirrors.

As you say, this is a matter of personal taste, but for me, give me the largest flashes of white and colored light possible, and as many of them as I can see before they become too small to be seen by the human eye.

Wink

Reactions: AV_

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
As you say, this is a matter of personal taste, but for me, give me the largest flashes of white and colored light possible, and as many of them as I can see before they become too small to be seen by the human eye.

Wink
So you want an Asscher? *grin*

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
We need the photos of the diamonds, hopefully with idealscope images to make proper recommendation. Also, nothing beats comparing diamonds in person.

If I HAD to choose between the two by the specs alone, I'd personally go with the diamond A.

mrsthomas

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your replies everyone. I think I will err on the side of caution and reject Stone B outright as it has no Idealscope images at this point. I will continue my search based on the wonderful tip you've all provided.

Cheers,
Tanya

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results