shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with new men’s ring

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock
Hi All

After resetting my RB for the third time, I am (finally) happy with it and am starting to save for my next project.

I came across this EC men’s ring on Instagram and LOVE it. I have been wanting a step cut and always thought it would be an asscher as that is my favorite diamond shape- but I love this one!

The guy is actually a jeweler in India, but he has not gotten back to me so I am going to have to (maybe) make the ring.

Question, any clue on the band width/stone size? Also, I don’t know much about emeralds, but from what I’ve seen, some have the staircase mirror look (more asscher like) and others look like a flat piece of glass. I would want one that really reflects and I’m not sure what to look at.

Below are pics of my RB which is a 2.01 F Vs2 stone in a 5.65mm band. I’m thinking the band of the EC is between 5-5.5. All help is appreciated!

My current ring
A4A8E96C-9B58-4F6F-86E3-C915354EE65B.jpeg
E4903B70-F1F4-452F-A492-1DF6B03B1A57.png
887AA7EE-8137-4EE9-828F-17CEF2E494AB.jpeg

The EC I found on Instagram

78CDE9DD-51AD-4D48-A801-E8956FE67EE7.png
8BD2CA0C-7297-4F89-A529-80BCD77BEE66.png

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are a number of threads in RT requesting for help with EC diamonds that I find informative.

The length to width ratio is kind of personal, in that some prefer skinny ones over chubby ones.

For a East-West setting, a chubbier EC may be preferred as the band will be wider.

How about an Asscher/square cut stone for an idea? :P2 Kenny and Dancing Fire have/had them.

Good luck with your new project.

DK :))

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Nice rings, I love them!
A 2 carats nice Emerald should be approximately of Depth & Table 65 to 68% that will yield a 6mm+ by 8mm+ diamond measurements.

So the ring you need should be 6.5mm wide+_ to have the Emerald diamond with same proportions to the ring as in your pictures.

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock
Thank you both! My concern is that I always see a photo and say “I can make that with a larger stone” and this ring is sooo perfect as is. It’s hard to be a guy who loves diamonds because mostly everything is to be custom. I want to try to get as close as the photo as possible. If the band is 5mm I assure the stone should be 1.5ct and 6mm with a 2ct.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
oh gosh, it is STUNNING :drool: Thanks for posting pics of your current ring again, it is just absolutely beautiful, who made this ring?

As far as the EC ring, its hard to tell from a photo, it is dependent on the size of the ring, the stone size, etc etc. Just looking though, i would say too that it's not quite as wide as your RB ring. Just a quick look, you're right on with the approx ct size you need. If you share your budget, there are definitely some step cut enthusiasts that can help you find a stone!

@Matthews1127 @OoohShiny @Dancing Fire

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock
oh gosh, it is STUNNING :drool: Thanks for posting pics of your current ring again, it is just absolutely beautiful, who made this ring?

As far as the EC ring, its hard to tell from a photo, it is dependent on the size of the ring, the stone size, etc etc. Just looking though, i would say too that it's not quite as wide as your RB ring. Just a quick look, you're right on with the approx ct size you need. If you share your budget, there are definitely some step cut enthusiasts that can help you find a stone!

@Matthews1127 @OoohShiny @Dancing Fire

Thank you farrahlyn, you are too kind!

My current ring was made 4 times starting at 8mm down to 5.65. I agree that it looks slimmer, and I like a slimmer band. My setting was cast from a company called eli (which is inscribed on the inside) and the side profile was drilled out/prongs added ect by my local jeweler in Florida. The only downside to my current ring is that it eats the stone and makes it appear smaller. Even though this new ring is similar, it does have prongs. Now my head of turning towards maybeing resetting my rb in this setting. (If anyone who knew me read that I would be in big trouble lol)

EC experts, I guess what I’m looking for is what to look for in an EC that gives the flashes of light as apposed to the flat piece of glass look.

I have no clue what my budget is. I usually find something I want and then go into crazy saving mode. I would be happy with e/f color and vs2 clarity.

Thank you again for all the kindness. I love Thai community!

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Today with the CAD 3d designing it is a simple job to replicate a model to a different mm size so it will suit your 2 carats Emerald diamond.

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock
Today with the CAD 3d designing it is a simple job to replicate a model to a different mm size so it will suit your 2 carats Emerald diamond.

Hi David,

I agree! What I’m trying to figure out is what the mm/ stone size is in that photo. I love the proportions and want to get as close to the ring

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some basic history & info:

https://www.petragems.com/blog/emerald-cut-diamonds-assessment-chart-guide-indepth-information/

Preference rules the fancy cut world! If you want more rainbow flash, focus on more narrow-medium sized facets, and try to find EC’s with 3-4 crown facets, in similar dimension, and smaller tables (54-58%). The more facets, the more flash. Very well cut EC’s are not too easy to find, so we can help you on your journey. Visual aid is essential in evaluating Step Cuts, in the absence of in-person, naked eye examination.
Videos, and ASET images are important to help you decide what is appealing to your eye.

This is a great read on how angles compliment each other to make a beautiful diamond, well, beautiful! Compliments of @Karl_K!!

https://www.pricescope.com/articles/performance-and-p3-facets-discussion-about-step-cut-diamonds

Adding: Avoid judging a step cut by its certificate. Remain open. Compare as many as you can to weed out what you love & what you don’t. Process of elimination will prevail, in the end.

Here is the thread of my “Unicorn” EC, for a little eye candy.:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/meet-uisce.231677/

Last edited:

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock
Some basic history & info:

https://www.petragems.com/blog/emerald-cut-diamonds-assessment-chart-guide-indepth-information/

Preference rules the fancy cut world! If you want more rainbow flash, focus on more narrow-medium sized facets, and try to find EC’s with 3-4 crown facets, in similar dimension, and smaller tables (54-58%). The more facets, the more flash. Very well cut EC’s are not too easy to find, so we can help you on your journey. Visual aid is essential in evaluating Step Cuts, in the absence of in-person, naked eye examination.
Videos, and ASET images are important to help you decide what is appealing to your eye.

This is a great read on how angles compliment each other to make a beautiful diamond, well, beautiful! Compliments of @Karl_K!!

https://www.pricescope.com/articles/performance-and-p3-facets-discussion-about-step-cut-diamonds

Adding: Avoid judging a step cut by its certificate. Remain open. Compare as many as you can to weed out what you love & what you don’t. Process of elimination will prevail, in the end.

Here is the thread of my “Unicorn” EC, for a little eye candy.:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/meet-uisce.231677/

Your ring is incredible!! And I can see from the photos that is does sparkel and have lots of life! Thank you for all the information! I thought I was crazy thinking that some EC’s have more facets, but it’s good to know it’s a thing! When I save up and am ready, I will send you my options! I have a local dealer here in Florida and I will have him bring in a few stones to look at!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is incredible!! And I can see from the photos that is does sparkel and have lots of life! Thank you for all the information! I thought I was crazy thinking that some EC’s have more facets, but it’s good to know it’s a thing! When I save up and am ready, I will send you my options! I have a local dealer here in Florida and I will have him bring in a few stones to look at!

Thank you!! :kiss2:
When you have them bring in EC’s, ask them to source a variation: E/F/G color. (Eye Clean) SI/VS/VVS clarity, 1.3-1.5 l x w ratios, and once you decide on your carat weight, I’d ask them to see at least one, just under your carat mark, and some at or above for comparison.
Start at VG/VG+ for Symm/Polish. Cut should be minimum VG+. Obviously, EX would be optimal. Include in your search, EC’s with varied number of crown facets.
When you go in to examine each of them, you will want to examine them against a red background (paper is fine) to look for leakage, you will want to pay close attention to the center steps to see if the steps light up & dim like a staircase from crown to center, then back up from center to crown on the other side. When steps are “on” or “off” simultaneously, it causes the stone to appear dark, and not as lively. Examine each stone at N-S position for optimal performance. Trying to evaluate an EC while resting on P3 is difficult. Of course, if you have tweezers, you should examine from every angle to take in the entire stone.
Ask the jeweler to see the stones in different lighting environments; jewelry store lighting is designed for sparkle, but natural sunlight & cloudy weather, along with fluorescent lighting, etc are a whole different ball game. Try to see each one in as many different lighting environments as they can provide.
@OoohShiny can give you better description of “windowing” than I can; I know what it is, but articulating it so others understand it is a little tricky, and I don’t want to confuse you.
Please keep us posted. If you need any help, have any questions, or want to share ideas, please reach out!!
This is going to be so fun!! Looking forward to your journey!!!! :mrgreen2:

More eye candy (and inspiration):

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/emerald-cuts-asschers-a-collection.113993/

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
welcome! I thinkk you have to start from deciding on ring width, step into any jewelry store to measure and feel what width you like, after that adjust the diaond to the ring width. A 1.5 carats Emerald diamond is about 5.-5.9 mm wide

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I thin the 1.50 carats diamond will do the job. Will look like the diamond in your picture.
Don't forget the bigger the diamond the bigger is it's length.

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock
@Matthews1127 thank you Soo much for your expert advise! When I’m ready to start searing for a stone I will come back to this thread with photos, ect!

@OoohShiny you just helped in the process! I like the idea of the shaved down prongs. I love my RB ring the way it is now, but since it doesn’t have prongs, the ring does eat the diamond.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results