shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with deciding on this Asscher IF clarity

mkbebe

Rough_Rock
Hi there, I'm a newb. I first posted on this forum a couple months back when I was looking for help with getting a marquise diamond for my e-ring. I got some excellent advice but after actually trying on a bunch of marquise stones IRL, I discovered they aren't very flattering on my hand. What looks best is a square shape and of the squares my favourite is the asscher cut so that's what I'm now looking for.

I just put this stone on hold for 48 hours at BN, link below. It's 1.02 carats, IF I. I'm not too fussed with clarity but I know it's more important in step-cuts. The price is really good for an IF and the facets flash very nicely in the 360 image. Is there any reason I shouldn't get it?

https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m an Asscher owner.

I say maximize SIZE over clarity— go to to VS 1 or 2.

With asschers, the bigger the better.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it, but I'd bump color and try to find an H. Size and color would be my greatest aim with an asscher, and clarity can be pretty safe at VS2 and higher. I have a 1 ct H asscher set in a halo. It's beautiful, but the facet pattern can be appreciated more in a larger stone, to be honest.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there, I'm a newb. I first posted on this forum a couple months back when I was looking for help with getting a marquise diamond for my e-ring. I got some excellent advice but after actually trying on a bunch of marquise stones IRL, I discovered they aren't very flattering on my hand. What looks best is a square shape and of the squares my favourite is the asscher cut so that's what I'm now looking for.

I just put this stone on hold for 48 hours at BN, link below. It's 1.02 carats, IF I. I'm not too fussed with clarity but I know it's more important in step-cuts. The price is really good for an IF and the facets flash very nicely in the 360 image. Is there any reason I shouldn't get it?

https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab

I would go down on clarity as long as 100% eye clean and bump up to H color. Get bigger bang for your buck!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
This is the same size 5.5mm -ish , EVS2 WWW

I hear that the cut is best seen in larger objects; you will know what you have.

5.6mm DVS2 WWW - a different type squarer, flashier & it shows what a range VS2 is! (see the whisps? This is serious magnification...)

5.8mm IVS2 WWW - This is as far as I got in size - a tenth more. I had allowed for a 5,5K price cap but there was nothing between here and there.

Last edited:

mkbebe

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! My main concern is size because you want to see those facets but also because asschers face up smaller than other shapes. But there's not a big difference in stones in my price range... My typical search parameters are VS2 or better, I colour or better and .95 carats or higher. The most I could afford is this 1.2 carat (but I'm not sure its as nice as the 1.02 carat... and the size spread-wise is only 5% difference according to the diamdb tool):

mkbebe

Rough_Rock
This is the same size 5.5mm -ish , EVS2 WWW

I hear that the cut is best seen in larger objects; you will know what you have.

Its almost $2000 more expensive! Not worth it for the same size...

Reactions: AV_

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
With Asschers you really need to see an ASET. I would go down a bit to VS2 and go up size.

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone! My main concern is size because you want to see those facets but also because asschers face up smaller than other shapes. But there's not a big difference in stones in my price range... My typical search parameters are VS2 or better, I colour or better and .95 carats or higher. The most I could afford is this 1.2 carat (but I'm not sure its as nice as the 1.02 carat... and the size spread-wise is only 5% difference according to the diamdb tool):

I like the smaller table on this one.

Still need to see ASET's on these two stones.

Reactions: AV_

mkbebe

Rough_Rock
BN doesn't offer ASETS :/

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asets don’t really work well with asschers.

You have to see in person when you get it.

Check B2c jewels, diamonds by Lauren, and I’d even try to find an eye clean SI1

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I hadn't notticed that the currency is set wrong, silly...

Up to C$5K I am finding options comparable to yours - several G-H/VS of the same size tba.

&

this 5.5mm EVS1 WWW The dark reflections are exagerated in these shots, so I would want to see the object.

I see no substantialy larger items, all size variations come from cut not weight (5.2 - 5.6).

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Last

H VS1 5.6mm

I'd call it a little better & a hair bigger than the original. The option I am curious about is the E.

mkbebe

Rough_Rock
I hadn't notticed that the currency is set wrong, silly...

Up to C$5K I am finding options comparable to yours - several G-H/VS of the same size tba.

&

this 5.5mm EVS1 WWW The dark reflections are exagerated in these shots, so I would want to see the object.

I see no substantialy larger items, all size variations come from cut not weight (5.2 - 5.6).

Yup, this is the reason I'm so seriously considering this 1.02... I doubt I'll find much bigger in terms of mm within my budget but you don't see an IF that often... I know I have to see it IRL to really determine if it's the ONE but I can't see a reason not to get just in terms of specs and the 360 image. Anyways, thank you all for looking and if anyone sees any red flags please let me know! I have 48 hours :angel:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Try this: WWW

I do not worry a great deal about I in one carat. The cut of the BN stone seems to produce rich secondary reflections / glitter which usually comes at the expense of brighteness www . 67% is not a small table, 55% is... I am not finding any such beast at first sight & they run small.

2c

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
vs2 is not always safe in step cuts.
When looking for one for a client we went through 8 of them and not one was eyeclean.
The market was really picked over at the time leaving the not eye clean ones in that range.
Its a case by case basis.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How will you set it? The 1 carat will be pretty, but be prepared to be disappointed in its size.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I am finding more to see at BN - not larger, but higher colour & a brighter cut, I think.

I would choose between these: G VS2 & E VS1

If a one carat square emerald cut is not enough, you can decide in person while the stone can be returned. Other shapes are slightly larger.

Last edited:

mkbebe

Rough_Rock
Try this: WWW

I do not worry a great deal about I in one carat. The cut of the BN stone seems to produce rich secondary reflections / glitter which usually comes at the expense of brighteness www . 67% is not a small table, 55% is... I am not finding any such beast at first sight & they run small.

2c

So is a smaller table more desirable in an asscher? I like the second one you posted, very pretty.

mkbebe

Rough_Rock
How will you set it? The 1 carat will be pretty, but be prepared to be disappointed in its size.

platinum solitaire setting... It's a tie between 3 settings at BN. I've tried on a 1 carat asscher in a store so I know what to expect. I would love it to be a little bigger but 5.5ish mms will do for now. I've been searching for stones online with a ruler in my hand for months lol. I've also gone ring shopping in person and tried on pretty much every shape diamond there is. I know asschers run small.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I am the last person to ask! I tend to also like ones with larger tables, but, yes, small is prefferred, perhaps up to 60% or so.

Case of a small tabled asscher - 70% deep 50% table: www

mkbebe

Rough_Rock
I would choose between these: G VS2 & E VS1

If a one carat square emerald cut is not enough, you can decide in person while the stone can be returned. Other shapes are slightly larger.

I like the E, thanks! I will try to call BN tonight to inquire.

1 carat is not enough! But the only other shapes I would consider are princess and round. I like cushions but only chunky facet big ones (well over a carat) and those are outta budget! I think the ideal size for my hand would be about 6mm in a square cut stone. Seems to be just out of reach of my budget.... I would consider round but my SO really prefers the uniqueness of an asscher and since I'm too much of a control freak/picky person to just let him go out and buy a ring, I'm trying to incorporate his favourite cut while picking out the ring myself :)

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I would also choose a small & personal stone.
You may want to put the E square on hold, things fly off this forum.

Are rectangular emerald cuts in the running? This caught my eye www

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Lastly

I'd add another EC to the one (www) mentioned earlier - 7.4 X 4.5 ESI1

I expect that all VS2 are eye clean (that is to say, wihout magnification, as opposed to the videos) and this is not substantially different.

over & out

AV_

Ideal_Rock
wait

7 X 4.9 DVS2 - in the same spirit as the long SI1 stone above, but less extreme & better, I think.

& I would wish to see this www not via ASET but in person. The dark reflections show in peculiar conditions & if the item is attractive otherwise & inspecting is no serious hassle; this is as big as a 6 X 6 square.

Good fun!

Last edited:

mkbebe

Rough_Rock
Thanks AV - ECs are not in the running. I don't think elongated shapes suit me. I'm pretty set on square shaped stones but thanks for all your help!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results