shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Round Diamond Specs

pockystix

Rough_Rock
I am new to diamond shopping and have been working with a jeweler to build a halo setting and procure a super ideal cut round diamond to set. I viewed a few diamonds in the store and this one appeared to be the best... HCA of 1.3. Would anyone be able to help me out if they see any potential issues with? I know there are dimensions a round should fall etc. crown angle 34.3-34.9, pavilion 40.6-40.9, Table 53-59%, depth 59-61.8%.

Despite some of the specs outside the desired range, it still scored an HCA of 1.3, is this possible or an error? Also there is "cloud" for clarity description however it is a VS1 grade, I could not see anything however I also do not know what I am looking at/for and the jeweler said they could not see it. Do you think this will effect light return or am I paranoid? Thanks in advance!

Specs are triple excellence GIA rating:

O.85 ct round, Color F, clarity VS1
Depth: 59.3%
Table: 59%
Crown angle: 34.0
Pavilion angle: 40.8
Star length: 55%
Lower half: 80%
Girdle: thin- medium 2.5%
Cutlet: very small
Flourence: none
Clarity characteristic: cloud

Report is from May 2017, is this too old, possible return or unsold diamond?

pockystix

Rough_Rock
Accidentally fat fingered and posted twice, moderators please unpost one please. Thanks.

tuckie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This looks like a very nice stone - probably a bit more towards white light vs. colored light - but a very nice stone. May or may not be a superideal, as you'd need more than just these proportions to know.

Some of the more knowledgeable folks can weigh in on that.

At VS1 you should have NOTHING to worry about. I also would not worry about a May 2017 report.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that the numers suggest that this is a 60/60 style diamond worth pursuing. To determine light return, you need them to provide (or take your own) ASET or IS (idealscope) image. To look at symmetry, you needs a Hearts & Arrows image. I like 60/60 diamonds, but they really need these images to help determine if they are performing welll or losting all the light out the bottom.

I have not see anyone cutting 60/60 diamnds as super-ideal, but perhaps a trade member will chime in (@Karl_K @Texas Leaguer @Wink).

A very well cut diamond with ideal proportions and good light return will be very pretty and sparkly. But, you state that you want a super-ideal diamond. Being super-ideal, as the term is used here on PS, is far more than just meeting certain proportions and angles. It is also the precion of the cut and other factor. While it is possible that a vendor might find something near super-ideal from the broad market, it would be the pink sparkly rainbow striped unicorn of diamonds. So, if super-ideal is your goal, I would sugggest you read the below posts. You can directly acquire a super-ideal from Brian Gavin-Signiture, Whiteflash-CraftedbyInfinity, HighPerformance Diamonds (CBI), GoodOldGold-Ascendency, Victor Canera, and others (I've listed online sources we frequenty see here on PS). You can have a local jeweller set such a stone, although you need to fully understand his insurance coverage if he damages a stone he did not acquire directly.

Read posts 14-20 here where @Texas Leaguer and @Karl_K provide good descriptions,
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...actually-better-than-vs2.232674/#post-4203120

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice numbers !

(perhaps I am a tad' tired of the 63-ish deep RBC - fine as their HCA marks might be ...)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
rockysalamander
There are some really nice 60/60 style stones being cut but no one brands them and labels them that I know about.
They can get ags0, this basic proportion set is one that could potentially get AGS0(even considering the gia rounding).
Since super-ideal is considered to be h&a and 60-60 is outside the h&a range super-ideal is a stretch.
That does not mean they can not have superior optical symmetry.
As with any stone I would want images to draw solid conclusions and make sure there isn't issues with widely ranging angles when evaluating a stone remotely.

pockystix

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the comments! I liked the way the stone looked, just in case it didn't look good, I had them try to bring a few more in to evaluate however was leaning towards this one. Also never heard of a 60/60 but thanks for bringing that up! I did look at Whiteflash super ideals, thought jeweler might be able to track one down but might be like finding a unicorn unless I go through Brian Gavin or Whiteflash.

I am from out of town and the jeweler probably can't provide an ASSET or Ideal scope in time before I leave, I did look at the hearts and arrow, with my untrained eye I did notice a small difference in size with one, although overall decent. I know the price is pretty good for the rock which has me questioning if I am too picky or is it worth it to go for a super ideal that may be slightly better in terms of brillance... thanks!

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have bought 2 60/60 stones and they were both beautiful. I will say though that colorful flashes aka fire didn't really exist. I didn't care though, since they were ideal cut, sparkly, big and a good value. Now that I have a different diamond that does have fire, I do really enjoy it. But it's not really something I would have noticed had I not been a PS member. Most normal non-PS people notice if a diamond is bright, white and sparkly, not whether there's fire, kwim? I guess my point is, it could be a really great value for an ideal cut diamond (in terms of excellent light return).

pockystix

Rough_Rock
The jeweler was able to bring in a 0.9ct, E color, Vs1, not a 60/60, triple excellence GIA, looked really good in person, scored a O.8 on the HCA, however there was no laser inscription on the diamond. Would that be something to stay away from?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results