shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with OEC proportions if you please!

kdee

Rough_Rock
Hi to all of you amazingly lovely, knowledgeable, friendly folks. Long time lurker, first time poster here! After reading here for ages, spending countless hours ogling rings and stones here, eBay, etsy, etc I am thinking of taking the plunge on an art deco OEC solitaire that I'd love your feedback on. I know the proof is in the viewing with OECs, and I will say that visually I do love the look of the faceting from what I can see (online). But, the ring is not easily returnable so I want to be as sure as I can about it before going for it. Can anyone chime in on the following proportions - any glaring issues or comments on the likely fire, light return, etc? Its a warm colored VS1. Many, many thanks in advance!
Measurements
8.67 x 8.54 x 5.34 mm
Table
50%
Depth
62.1%
Crown Height
17.9%
Crown Angle
Pavilion Depth
40.2%
Pavilion Angle
Girdle
VERY THIN TO MEDIUM
Culet
SL. LARGE

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
OECs have less of a science to them than MRBs :D
Pictures are super helpful when judging an OEC. Do you have any we could look at?

kdee

Rough_Rock
Thank you @anangel, I only have an image from the vendor website and was a little paranoid about poaching that might happen if someone ID'd the image :eek2::eek2:. But you are right, really hard to ask for advice without a visual. So, here goes...
oec crop 2.jpg

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Facets look pretty! Since it’s mounted, have you asked about any chips on the girdle?
VS1 is pretty safe clarity wise. Was clarity judged loose or mounted?
What color is it? I really love warm colors in vintage cuts ❤️
Do you know carat weight? Was the carat weight done loose or estimated as mounting allowed?

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I’d buy that. That faceting is lovely. The proportions all look good. Any close ups from the vendor to help de-risk the chance of any undisclosed chips or issues? Is it certed at all?

kdee

Rough_Rock
Thanks @foxinsox and @anangel! I'm so pleased to get good feedback. I think it's a great deal for the price being asked if it pans out to be as pretty as it seems. It has an EGL cert for what little that is worth, graded mounted as an N VS1. The carat weight is estimated 2.57. I have a close up of one side of the girdle that looks good, but great idea to ask that question specifically. They just sent me a video I will try to figure out how to show you guys.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm familiar with this ring as far as knowing who the vendor is and I would offer less than asking price for sure. Not saying it's overpriced but with something like this I would aim to get at least 20% off the asking price and even if they come back with 15% you are still making out!

The faceting is really pretty :kiss2: Don't worry though, I'm not in the market!

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
Yes very pretty I would buy it if the price was right.

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
Just read that you may not be able to return it. Unless it was a GREAT deal I wouldn’t risk it without a return policy... it’s a large purchase and it may be a beautiful unicorn, but it may not be. If it’s not you either take a loss reselling it or knowingly stooge the new buyer. Really try to get a return policy and go for it!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you are new to OECs, you should not buy a diamond without the ability to see it in person and return it without any issues. OR you need a vendor who can provide many more high quality images and video.

To my eye in this photo, the under table area is potentially lazy and looks like it may have been photo shopped to remove dark facts (the mid grey facets at 12, 8, and 6 make me suspicious. At this camera angle, the photo should be showing at least some obstruction and more likely a tonne of obstruction, and you can't see any in the image). Do you have many more images? Or a video? I'm happy to be proved wrong but my spidey senses are tingling.

kdee

Rough_Rock
@dreamer_dachsie I SO appreciate your expertise here! I definitely will not be going through with the transaction without a return window. I have a couple of other photos but none that seem like super helpful angles. I do have a video but I'm not sure the best way to upload here? Working on it, if anyone has directions...:wall:
Screenshot_20190218-203559.jpg

Reactions: AV_

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
Photos in a light box can be misleading and not a true representation, also not the lighting environment in which you will be viewing your stone.

Its easy to fall in love with beautiful pictures, but diamonds can catfish too! So great you have a return window. I would be suspicious of anyone who flat out refused.

Also, it’s unlikely a seller who knows what they have would be offering too much of a “bargain”. If it’s too good to be true it probably is.

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
The vs1 grading might be questionable. That inclusion under the table at 7 o’clock. Might be a reflection (?) but something under the bottom right prong?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not saying NO to it. There is potential. I just wonder at a seller who uses such crummy photos and you have to talk them into a return -- that combo is not an accident. But anyway, I would really like to see the video, it could tell the tale.

Also, it’s unlikely a seller who knows what they have would be offering too much of a “bargain”. If it’s too good to be true it probably is.

This is absolutely true and very important to remember. It's especially true if this seller regularly sells diamonds and jewelry on the secondary market. They know *exactly* what they have. Many hope you/we don't!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I found this ring it said there was a 30 day return policy. OP are you buying this through the vendor's site directly? Not trying to be vague I know you were concerned about poaching.

kdee

Rough_Rock
Thanks all! I am always blown away by how generous folks here are with their time and thoughtfulness.
Here is a video link...again, not close up but it seems lively to me and at the very beginning I feel I can glimpse some nice on-off patterning in the under table. @dreamer_dachsie what do you think?
@StephanieLynn, the vendor website says 30 day exchanges but no returns/refunds. Maybe it's not the same ring after all? In any case I'm not going to purchase unless they follow through with their offer to do a brief return window (in writing) in this case.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kdee do they have a store in Tustin, CA? That will tell me whether it is for sure the exact same ring without giving away anymore.

ETA: That video is very low quality, not clear, no close-up views and in one lighting environment. Considering the money you are looking to spend I would keep looking. IMO they are not making enough effort to show you how the diamond performs and that would be a red flag for me.

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kdee, where I have found it online for sale they are offering 30 day returns with buyer paying return shipping.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Having an EGL lab report on an un-mounted stone is pretty much a sign that this vendor doesn’t want you to know the exact details of the stone. They are unable to show you a closer up video. The second photo looks much more tinted than an N,or at least, IMO very tinted with a greenish yellow tint. I think the cut looks okay to me. But all the other factors make me think you should keep looking. My assumption is that the dealer knows what he has but doesn’t want you to know before you buy.

kdee

Rough_Rock
Ok here's the last wrinkle. Thanks to @StephanieLynn suggestion I offered 20% off asking price and they just got back to me that they agree to that. I have to confirm that they are going to honor a return period, but assuming they will, do you think it's worth seeing in person? @Lovesparklesparle I would be able to get it for between $8k and $9k.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm still stuck on why they couldn't offer you the same 30 day return period right off the bat. Isn't the idea with a purchase of this magnitude (or really any amount) to make it as easy and comfortable as possible for the customer?

@kdee, I wouldn't chance this, they could refuse the return saying the diamond was switched or damaged or have some reason for refusal. Or they could just make you wait an extended time to refund your money. It's not worth it IMO, let us help you find a beautiful diamond that is mind clean with a solid return policy from a trusted PS vendor. Ivy and Rose comes to mind and there are many others.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I still can't tell anything much from the video. It is not in the right lighting to see how the facets reflect light. So you are left with an EGL report, some very very poor photos and a poor video that are so bad I cannot help but think they are indeed hiding something. And a vendor who will not readily accept returns (but may if you twist their arm).

So is it worth seeing in person? Hard to say.

Story time. I once found a ring like this that I thought was a good deal from a similar kind of vendor. You know, secondary market, maybe runs a pawn shop or other type of gold or antique jewelry store. They had better photos! Much better. But still, not great pics. And I got it and it had a horrible nail head and it was the color of dirty dishwater. I love a nice tinted diamond. There are lot's of great colors out there. But sometimes the diamond can be a very unpleasant color indeed!

If shipping is easy and the vendor had a clear return policy in writing on their website, I'd say Sure! See it! Why not? It's a good learning moment and maybe it is a lovely stone (but then, why isn't the vendor taking more pains to SHOW that?? See, I can't shake that voice...). I just worry that a vendor with those kinds of policies is going to be a PITA if you try to return it...

kdee

Rough_Rock
You guys are wonderful, thank you so much to everyone who weighed in here. I'm going to tell the vendor it's a pass - if they want to step up with some new, clearer photos and videos, let them do so but otherwise I will come back with a new thread to search for another stone! I'm not in any particular hurry. Thanks again!! Now that I've finally de-lurked maybe I'll bide my time posting my existing e-ring in the under 1 carat thread for fun :geek2:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Story time. I once found a ring like this that I thought was a good deal from a similar kind of vendor. You know, secondary market, maybe runs a pawn shop or other type of gold or antique jewelry store. They had better photos! Much better. But still, not great pics. And I got it and it had a horrible nail head and it was the color of dirty dishwater. I love a nice tinted diamond. There are lot's of great colors out there. But sometimes the diamond can be a very unpleasant color indeed!

The diamond from my story. What I want you to notice is how GREAT it looks from some angles and then how at the right kinds of angles, the nail head (black center) is evident. This is why you need a certain kind of photo to really know what you are getting, and your vendor didn't provide it!

See, lookin' good, lookin' nice...

070.jpg _1357.jpg
_1359.jpg

Then boom...

_2269.jpg biggun4.jpg 080.jpg
074.jpg

And the unpleasant body color:

002.jpg

This was the vendor photo, which if I saw now, would lead me to exclude the diamond outright.

gutcheck.jpg

kdee

Rough_Rock
Wow Nala, really? That is amazingly nice for you to offer. I'd be very happy to have your eyes on it! It is Atlantis Watch and Jewelry
1631 Edinger Ave #104a, Tustin, CA 92780
They also have an eBay store (I think this is where @StephanieLynn saw it) and thought I'd ask to go through there if I decided to proceed so I'd have the 30 day return in writing plus eBay protections...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results