shape
carat
color
clarity

Help needed between two Tiffany & Co. rings

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am purchasing a preowned Tiffany & Co. brilliant cut classic solitaire direct from a vendor suggested by a fellow PS member. I did all the homework to check out his reputation and his eBay feedback. I am not buying from eBay but directly from his online jewelry website. I have negotiated prices on both stones and compared the table, depth,crown and pavilion percentages of both stones. Any feedback would be appreciated on which stone would be worth the money. Note: this is a secondary ring to wear when I don’t want to wear my 1.4 ct. solitaire with my .98 carat diamond five stone band.

Ring #1: .87 ct, I, VS1, triple excellent, no fluorescence, ALL Tiffany paperwork and suede box but no blue outer box, $5,000

Ring #2: .91 ct, I, VVS2, triple excellent, no fluorescence, no original paperwork, suede box, GIA certificate, faces up very large like a 1.0 ct, $5,500

Both rings are returnable.

The second one has perfect percentages based on what I read on PS.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Reactions: AV_

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We'd need more specs. Can you list the information from the paperwork for each diamond?

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
We'd need more specs. Can you list the information from the paperwork for each diamond?

Here are photos of the paperwork and I also went on GIA.edu to verify the GIA certificate for the larger stone.
690428DF-ACE8-4B6F-8EAE-72F41AC08BF7.png AE70452B-1DCA-4E37-8312-9ED86DEE3D5D.png 9336924A-E19C-46A1-BF54-1E128D6D80BD.png

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are really blurry.. can you post the table, depth, crown angle, and pavilion angle for each?

ETA: gotta run... hopefully someone will look at these soon!

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Those are really blurry.. can you post the table, depth, crown angle, and pavilion angle for each?

ETA: gotta run... hopefully someone will look at these soon!

Here is the information.

table 59
depth 62.4
crown angle 35.1
pavilion angle 41.0

table 56
depth 61.2
crown angle 34.5
pavilion angle 40.6

Reactions: AV_

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
They look like beautiful diamonds to me.

However, I don't understand the logic of having a second ring that is so similar in style and size to your primary ring. For example, if your current 1.4 ct solitaire ring is impractical for you (perhaps you use your hands a lot at work, or need to wear gloves, etc.) then I don't think going down to a .9-ish ct is going to make much, if any, difference. Now if your current solitaire sits very high in its setting and this Tiffany one sits much lower, then perhaps you will feel a difference and the new one will be more practical.

If you are worried about safety issues wearing a 1.4 ct, again I think going down to a .9 is misguided because I don't think someone mugging you is going to change their mind over a half carat. I think most casual observers of your ring won't notice a difference at all in that small of a change of size. So if safety is your concern, perhaps going down smaller so there will be more of a visible difference?

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
They look like beautiful diamonds to me.

However, I don't understand the logic of having a second ring that is so similar in style and size to your primary ring. For example, if your current 1.4 ct solitaire ring is impractical for you (perhaps you use your hands a lot at work, or need to wear gloves, etc.) then I don't think going down to a .9-ish ct is going to make much, if any, difference. Now if your current solitaire sits very high in its setting and this Tiffany one sits much lower, then perhaps you will feel a difference and the new one will be more practical.

If you are worried about safety issues wearing a 1.4 ct, again I think going down to a .9 is misguided because I don't think someone mugging you is going to change their mind over a half carat. I think most casual observers of your ring won't notice a difference at all in that small of a change of size. So if safety is your concern, perhaps going down smaller so there will be more of a visible difference?

My current setting sits very, very high and is in a four prong setting. I really want a six prong, low setting with a thicker shank. I also just purchased a channel set eternity band from Tiffany’s which I will wear with one of these rings so it will be a different look all together.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I was going to say that you should ask the experts here on which ring is better and I'm glad to see you did.

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Details on the two stones

table 59
depth 62.4
crown angle 35.1
pavilion angle 41.0

table 56
depth 61.2
crown angle 34.5
pavilion angle 40.6

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If that setting could be sized up to a 7.5 it would have been mine a long time ago :Up_to_something:

I saw that setting. It is also for sale on eBay. My stone is a 1.4 which is slightly larger than the stone that was in it, 1.30. Do you think it would work?

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw that setting. It is also for sale on eBay. My stone is a 1.4 which is slightly larger than the stone that was in it, 1.30. Do you think it would work?

What is your stone's mm diameter?

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Why don’t you just reset your current diamond in a new 6-prong, lower set, Tiffany-like setting?

Something preloved: https://loupetroop.com/listings/set...6-prong-solitaire-setting-retail-1800-dollars

That's the setting I had made for my new CBI last summer. HPD made it for me. I love the simple elegance of it. I changed a few small details to make the setting more comfortable such as softening the knife edge where it went around past my fingers (I find Tiffany's knife edge to be a little uncomfortable.)

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That's the setting I had made for my new CBI last summer. HPD made it for me. I love the simple elegance of it. I changed a few small details to make the setting more comfortable such as softening the knife edge where it went around past my fingers (I find Tiffany's knife edge to be a little uncomfortable.)

Could you please post a photo of your ring?

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Could you please post a photo of your ring?

Here's the thread where I introduced her...(beginning of thread there pics from the top but later on there are many from the side.)

Hope this helps!

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Here's the thread where I introduced her...(beginning of thread there pics from the top but later on there are many from the side.)

Hope this helps!

Stunning!!! Congratulations on your new ring!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ClassicSAC -

I agree with others here, that the Vatche setting makes sense as the way to go. Going from a 1.3 to a 1.4ct stone in that setting should be easily doable by any competent jeweler.

However - to answer your original question - the first diamond is overly deep and too flat on top for my liking.

The *second* diamond, however, has perfect stats and should be a gorgeous, gorgeous ring.

Do let us know which direction you go - you've got some great choices going on!

:wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results