shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me upgrade my wedding bands!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
We have an anniversary coming up and I have just gotten the go-ahead to upgrade my wedding bands! I’m super excited about this but need some help figuring out what would look good.

My engagement ring is a radiant cut diamond, 1.62 I or J (it’s not certified and my appraisals differ), VS-1. It is set in platinum with .75 ct. of traps, H VS-1 and H S1-1.

The ring as a whole definitely has some warmth but I like it. The warmth manifests as reflecting colors of the surrounding environment.

The radiant is not of the crushed ice variety. It has well organized facets.

I have been wearing two wedding bands for the past decade plus (most of this time pre-PS). It is very fashionable in this area to do this, but it is not something I would choose now. My original wedding band is curved, with round brilliants, and so is the additional band. Each band has .33 carats. It is an almost halo-like effect for the whole ring. It is beautiful, but honestly, the more I have seen here the more I think it sort of merges into one undifferentiated blob of diamond.

Tried stacking with my CVB Norah eternity (4.67 ct) and Sophia band, but I think the Norah overwhelms the ER. It’s 4.3 mm wide. Thoughts? (And yes, I owe you a SMTB).

So…I am thinking it is time for a wedding band upgrade. (Would eventually love to do an ER upgrade, but as we are in the middle of renovations, will stick to bands for now).

What I am considering:

-Elongated french cuts, channel set (probably VC)
-Alternating french cuts, square and elongated, bezeled (VC)
-slim pave band
-Elongated french cuts alternating with single cuts (could I find this? Would single cuts look ok with my ER?)

Please tell me how you think any combination of these would look. I am open to ideas. Would love something very sparkly as I have been used to a lot of diamonds in my bands and am worried that I will miss them. Would also love to be able to stack bands when I don’t wear the ER. Obviously I love the idea of French cuts. How would those look with my ER?

854E8E48-031C-49FB-BBE1-93C5BDC1BB41.jpeg A2617EB4-2C67-4AC8-B527-89A50AE4EDAA.jpeg 4C8EF736-4397-4DE3-A824-B625012683C9.jpeg B319CADC-ACD4-4B00-B828-6845DD968390.jpeg 0D33C29E-DF42-48A5-A062-6ADE622BF92D.jpeg 0DBF7AA0-A487-4273-8E02-B9DE4066BD2B.jpeg

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the curved bands either side because I’m one of those people who doesn’t like gaps between my rings, but I realise I’m in the minority here.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer the curved bands either side because I’m one of those people who doesn’t like gaps between my rings, but I realise I’m in the minority here.

Thank you!

That is definitely how I was many years ago but gaps have ceased to bother me. It’s so interesting how tastes change.

But I am also remembering that I tried a bunch of things when we were engaged and never found anything I liked until these bands. Of course, that was pre-PS and pre internet jeweler availability and we were definitely limited to what local jewelers had in stock. So I’m not sure how definitive that is, as an experience.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I think all your suggestions would clash with your ring - you already have the radiant and then what look like step-cut traps, and round and french cuts both sparkle very differently. I would think about/try on a baguette or carre cut band, in the same style as what you were thinking about for french cuts. You could also look at channel-set princess cut bands, because princesses will be similar to your radiant judging by the faceting pattern. Rather than introducing a different style of cut/sparkle, picking one of the ones in your ring to use will produce a more cohesive look.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Personally I think all your suggestions would clash with your ring - you already have the radiant and then what look like step-cut traps, and round and french cuts both sparkle very differently. I would think about/try on a baguette or carre cut band, in the same style as what you were thinking about for french cuts. You could also look at channel-set princess cut bands, because princesses will be similar to your radiant judging by the faceting pattern. Rather than introducing a different style of cut/sparkle, picking one of the ones in your ring to use will produce a more cohesive look.

I was afraid someone would say something like this. I have been lusting after French cuts for so long! I wish it were possible to see some irl. I’m in a major metropolitan area and nobody has them.

I will have to make the rounds to see what I can find to try on with this. Last time I looked I saw lots of round brilliant bands.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sort of think that a smorgasbord of different cuts can look awesome :D

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
Is the gold band your Sophia band? If it was in a white metal I think I’d like it better with your engagement ring. So I think like oooh shiny perhaps a mix of cuts. Baguettes might be worth a try.
French cuts are gorgeous but I think they’d compete too much with your current ring. You mentioned a longer term goal would be to upgrade your engagement ring. Would you stick with radiant or change the shape? That might be the time to revisit French cuts.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Is the gold band your Sophia band? If it was in a white metal I think I’d like it better with your engagement ring. So I think like oooh shiny perhaps a mix of cuts. Baguettes might be worth a try.
French cuts are gorgeous but I think they’d compete too much with your current ring. You mentioned a longer term goal would be to upgrade your engagement ring. Would you stick with radiant or change the shape? That might be the time to revisit French cuts.

Yes, that’s my Sophia band. I never wear it or the Norah (large eternity) with my e-ring. I wear the Sophia with a Speing Gulch as an alternate ER. It’s gorgeous.

For a long term upgrade I would DEFINITELY change shape. Definitely a round. Not sure if a super ideal or an OEC. We are luck enough to live near a CbI vendor so I have seen some in real life and let’s just say they made an impression! However, there is also a jeweler nearby who does a lot of work with antique stones so I’ve seen some gorgeous old cuts and I can definitely see the appeal there as well. So I’m not sure which way I would go but leaning more towards super ideal.

Baguettes. Hmmm. Wonder if I could find a band locally to try.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I sort of think that a smorgasbord of different cuts can look awesome :D

You’re going to laugh but I just called the VC number to get quotes for a couple of bands. Victor himself answered. He is the nicest, most down to earth guy! I ended up asking him what he thought would look good with this ring (he pulled up the thread). He said maybe the alternating French cuts (square and elongated, bezeled), or the marquis shaped pave band.

We talked for a few minutes and his final take on it was that stones don’t have to match. You can do whatever you like.

Now to decide what exactly “whatever I like” means.

It really would be awesome if you could try these things first.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will have to make the rounds to see what I can find to try on with this. Last time I looked I saw lots of round brilliant bands.

Try Tiffany - they have a lot of different shapes. idk if they still have their rose-cut bands but rose cuts have some of that liquid shimmer look that french cuts have and might be a more similar comparison. Harry Winston I think usually has baguette bands.

The only place I think you might find french cuts is at an antique store but that would be highly dependent on their inventory.

L

lydial

Instead of more diamonds have you considered something like a carved / engraved platinum wedding band? It would provide more texture but it could allow the primary focus to be the e-ring.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Instead of more diamonds have you considered something like a carved / engraved platinum wedding band? It would provide more texture but it could allow the primary focus to be the e-ring.

Hmmm. I hadn’t thought of a plain band. I suspect it would be underwhelming to go from .66 carats of round brilliants all around the ER to a plain band. Kind of like moving from a halo to a solitaire. That’s one of the reasons I was drawn to French cuts. Everyone says they sparkle like crazy and my suspicion is that I would want that.

Argh. I guess I need to go try things on, but I won’t be able to see bands like these in local stores.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Try Tiffany - they have a lot of different shapes. idk if they still have their rose-cut bands but rose cuts have some of that liquid shimmer look that french cuts have and might be a more similar comparison. Harry Winston I think usually has baguette bands.

The only place I think you might find french cuts is at an antique store but that would be highly dependent on their inventory.

I could definitely go to Tiffany. Last time I was in there all their stock bands were super tiny, though. Like 5 or below. (I wear a 6 1/2. Maybe could squeeze a 6 but no way on the bands that T had last time I was there.) Made it very difficult to get an accurate picture of things on one’s pinky.

We have a local store that carries a lot of old cut diamonds for e-rings but they don’t have much inventory in the way of bands, or haven’t when I’ve been in. I can check again though.

Thank you for the suggestions!

L

lydial

Hmmm. I hadn’t thought of a plain band. I suspect it would be underwhelming to go from .66 carats of round brilliants all around the ER to a plain band. Kind of like moving from a halo to a solitaire. That’s one of the reasons I was drawn to French cuts. Everyone says they sparkle like crazy and my suspicion is that I would want that.

Argh. I guess I need to go try things on, but I won’t be able to see bands like these in local stores.

I totally get the itch for more sparkle but have been surprisingly content with an incredibly plain wedding band accompanying my simple 3 stone! I have also considered a DK engraved ring but will discuss with my DH as a birthday or anniversary gift... ( https://www.etsy.com/listing/658419574/platinum-engraved-stackable-band-with?ref=related-3&frs=1 )

4A8C04B7-EE21-4149-A38D-38A34078D30A.jpeg

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Princess cut channel set eternity? The side by side squares in a channel are so sleek and wouldn’t take away from your beautiful ring.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Princess cut channel set eternity? The side by side squares in a channel are so sleek and wouldn’t take away from your beautiful ring.

Love the idea of a channel and princess cuts have been suggested several times (including by Victor). But I just don’t love princess cuts. Maybe I would feel differently in a channel set band, though. Thinking about it I’m not sure if I have ever tried one.

Ok, adding it to my “to try” list.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a fan of princess cuts generally either, but I do have a half eternity (prefer full's now) and I really love how there are no gaps in a channel setting (vs how rounds are in channel) and also, with no diamonds exposed, so they're very stackable. Also, the sparkle is different from my ER, which is a round - I know yours is radiant. I really like how they don't compete or blur into one, if that makes any sense. Maybe worth trying on???

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more thought - your ER is very geometric and clean - I prefer to couple a ring like that with something else geometric and clean, but that's just ME.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not a fan of princess cuts generally either, but I do have a half eternity (prefer full's now) and I really love how there are no gaps in a channel setting (vs how rounds are in channel) and also, with no diamonds exposed, so they're very stackable. Also, the sparkle is different from my ER, which is a round - I know yours is radiant. I really like how they don't compete or blur into one, if that makes any sense. Maybe worth trying on???

All good points. The gaps in a round channel setting have always struck me as odd, so maybe I would love a princess channel irl. The no gap thing is one of the aspects of the French cut channel eternity I like so much.

So it doesn’t bother you at all that the sparkle from your band and your ER are different? Mine are different as is, with the radiant and mrbs. And it doesn’t bother me a bit. That seems to be one of the things people are cautioning about.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
One more thought - your ER is very geometric and clean - I prefer to couple a ring like that with something else geometric and clean, but that's just ME.

Thank you! Yes, it is very geometric and clean, which is what first drew me to it. I wasn’t thinking about that with respect to bands.

You know what we need? A PS trial ring library. I’m dead serious. CZ or moissy rings and bands we can check out and ship around for people to try and photograph before they commit to the real versions.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. I just have to say, your e-ring is stunning. Check out that FIRE! And I've never seen such beautifully organized faceting on a radiant. And I think the side stones are perfect and I love the strong shank. I tend to prefer ring gaps but also think your curved bands pair so well with your e-ring -- it's giving me awesome '50s retro vibes!

2. Skinny french cuts are an excellent idea! David Klass made me a channel-set french cut eternity but with square FCs (see posts 233 and 234 here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-david-klass-bling.196654/page-8). I did a lot of shopping around and found that DK offered the best pricing, and I knew he could deliver on the quality.

3. Since you're looking for sparkle, and you prefer no gaps between the stones, channel-set FCs does seem like a great idea. Plus, channel settings are straighter and more architectural, which I feel would echo the architectural feel of your e-ring quite nicely. Another option is to prong-set the FCs, but then the band might blend too much with your e-ring and look like a diamond blob. I think the subtle line of the metal channel would provide definition between the two rings.

4. I love the idea of ALSO getting a plain band, engraved or plain with milgrain, like what @lydial posted. Imagine how the 3 rings would look stacked!!! :kiss2:

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
1. I just have to say, your e-ring is stunning. Check out that FIRE! And I've never seen such beautifully organized faceting on a radiant. And I think the side stones are perfect and I love the strong shank. I tend to prefer ring gaps but also think your curved bands pair so well with your e-ring -- it's giving me awesome '50s retro vibes!

2. Skinny french cuts are an excellent idea! David Klass made me a channel-set french cut eternity but with square FCs (see posts 233 and 234 here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-david-klass-bling.196654/page-8). I did a lot of shopping around and found that DK offered the best pricing, and I knew he could deliver on the quality.

3. Since you're looking for sparkle, and you prefer no gaps between the stones, channel-set FCs does seem like a great idea. Plus, channel settings are straighter and more architectural, which I feel would echo the architectural feel of your e-ring quite nicely. Another option is to prong-set the FCs, but then the band might blend too much with your e-ring and look like a diamond blob. I think the subtle line of the metal channel would provide definition between the two rings.

4. I love the idea of ALSO getting a plain band, engraved or plain with milgrain, like what @lydial posted. Imagine how the 3 rings would look stacked!!! :kiss2:

Omg, thank you, @KristyDarling ! I really appreciate your kind words. It’s a very pretty ring, and unusual. I don’t know if you can tell but there are no prongs on the outside of the traps. It’s cleverly done—the outside of the shank flows smoothly over the edge of the stones for a super clean look. I haven’t seen that done before.

Thanks for the link to your FC eternity—WOW! It is stunning, and pairs so well with your rings!

I’m definitely thinking of wearing three rings stacked because that’s what I wear now with the two curved bands. I’m increasingly intrigued by the idea of an engraved one. I also saw a gorgeous plain band with milgrain that someone had VC do, and it was striking and combined well with the rest of her set.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your engagement ring is beautiful! I also LOVE a gap. It sets each ring apart so you can really see each ring. I think you should get the French cuts and rock it...It doesn’t matter IMHO whether it totally matches your engagement ring. I would want to look down on my finger and LOVE it. I’m older so that may be just me thinking life is too short to not get what you want.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the idea of a channel and princess cuts have been suggested several times (including by Victor). But I just don’t love princess cuts. Maybe I would feel differently in a channel set band, though. Thinking about it I’m not sure if I have ever tried one.

Ok, adding it to my “to try” list.

It's funny you say that you don't like princess cuts because to me the faceting of your radiant looks very much like a princess faceting pattern, just with cut corners instead of sharp corners. I suspect that's why people keep suggesting princesses!

I know I specifically got the idea from your post and your comments about the CVB bands that you might be looking for something a little more "matchy-matchy" than any of the bands you have now, which is why I was recommending things with similar faceting patterns. If you're fine with different, that's cool too.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you think square or elongated FCs would look better?

I think either would be beautiful, as long as the proportions are right. You wouldn't want the FCs to be too large (too "tall" in height), or they'd look overwhelming next to your e-ring. I do think, though, that tiny square FCs would lend a bit more sparkle than elongated FCs!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How gorgeous!!!

Do you think square or elongated FCs would look better?

Personally, I prefer the look of squares to rectangles.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
118280DD-28DB-4EE7-86B9-8EE96FFB2A93.png 9DDF6016-BDAC-4858-831A-674CB851A533.png 4227E606-45D1-4EE6-83B6-89964199182F.png 1B189A4D-444A-45AD-8A39-7790FA1B6090.png EF43CD07-E14A-408C-A8BC-6ED8DB615863.png F88B1740-5B3B-4B37-8D1D-F97187B60084.png
You have such a gorgeous e-ring! I think elongated baguettes or elongated frenchies or small square frenchies will look amazing with your ring. These are all VC bands. His work is amazing (I have 4 rings from him myself).
I have an OEC with french cut sides from VC and a Paraiba ring with french cut sides from Leon Mege. I am a huge fan of frenchies but they do not ‘sparkle’. It more like a shimmer. Like liquid diamond. If you are after sparkle, you could better opt for round brilliants.

Of the above VC bands I love nr 1 (baguettes), 3, 4, 5 with your ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results