shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose between AVR or Octavia Asscher

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Hi Everyone,

Which diamond would you choose for a 5-stone or a 7-stone wedding band? AVC, AVR or Octavia Asscher.

Also, please state your reason. This is for a 10th year anniversary gift.

TIA!

-joelly

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Octavia’s are not asschers! And they would be my choice. An octavia suite would be stunning and so multi -faceted.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I suspect at this current point in time you’d be lucky to be able to get any of those options!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IIRC anything under 1ct is basically out of the question for an Octavia, unless the customer has extremely deep pockets to pay for the (seven-times???) longer labour needed to cut them!

If you like that style, though, check out Yoram's vintage high-crown, small-table asschers on his www.gemconcepts.net site - @Matthews1127 has an amazing suite of 7 of them patiently waiting to be set, and she started a thread on them with pictures and videos included - search it out! @Jimmianne has also started a thread on her 'Mildred', a 2.5ct (IIRC?) version of that asscher cut, which is luuuuuverly :love:

AV_

Ideal_Rock

Love larger facets on small diamonds & the French cuts form a continuous pattern like no other cut...

The shop seems to specialize in OTT suits.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
I stand corrected on the octavia asscher. I’m new at this asscher cut. Is it correct to assume that octavia is a type of asscher cut but more firey?

Now I’m confuse as to what to do. I’ll check the suggestions mentioned-above. TIA!

joelly

Ideal_Rock

Love larger facets on small diamonds & the French cuts form a continuous pattern like no other cut...

The shop seems to specialize in OTT suits.

Tks for recommending. I’m sending an inquiry email to them. It will be good to see what it looks like. Is there any psers’ who own the french cut bands?

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
There are many, many French cut bands here, around 2mm all-around...

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I stand corrected on the octavia asscher. I’m new at this asscher cut. Is it correct to assume that octavia is a type of asscher cut but more firey?

Now I’m confuse as to what to do. I’ll check the suggestions mentioned-above. TIA!
The Octavia is a special cut of Asscher, designed by @Karl_K on this board under his previous username, the aim being to create maximum light performance in a stepcut.

https://gemconcepts.net/octavia-diamond/

AIUI they are not dissimilar to a SuperIdeal MRB in terms of light performance, which is pretty amazing, but I've not seen one in real life yet! :(

There are some previous threads showing the insane level of accuracy needed to cut them - IIRC @Dancing Fire start a thread showing the journey of his Octavia from rough to cut crystal, which included some excellent photos :)

There are a few videos on YouTube that could be worth a watch, including a comparison with an MRB and also traditional asschers!
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=octavia+diamond+comparison

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the Octavia. It would make a beautiful and unique 5 stone ring if you are able to source the stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results